#1 Edited by natalie516 (29 posts) -

I didn't find any discussion revolving around this, so for my own curiosity, I'm asking: "Why do you purchase DLC?"

What is it about DLC that has people buying it to a game they've already spent money on? I'm not judging if you do purchase DLC, I'm more curious because I don't purchase it and am wondering what is the appeal? On top of that, if you do buy DLC, have you ever regretted and why?

Thanks in advance for satiating my curiosity!

#2 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Because I want more of the game I just purchased. I want it all.

#3 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -

@VinceNotVance: It's that simple? I was sort of hoping there was more of a reason I guess...I figure, "I just spent $60 on this game, what could they possibly be providing me for additional cash that is going to make this a better game?"

I'm not cheap, but for some reason thinking of purchasing downloadable content doesn't appeal to me...I guess yours is as good as a reason as any.

#4 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -

@VinceNotVance: Ahh...so an add on, have you purchased DLC and then regretted it? If so, why?

#5 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -

@natalie516: It's not so much about making the game better as it is getting more of a game.

To be sure, not all DLC is worth the cost, and people will debate on message boards all day about if certain developers or publishers deliberately hold out on the content they put in the main game, so they can save some of it for DLC they charge you for. However, as consumers we're able to make those assessments of value, both with the $60 disc game and the $10 (or so) DLC. If you'd like to get more out of a game, and the amount of content seems to justify the price, buying DLC becomes a no-brainer.

#6 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

The same reason I use to buy expansion packs.

#7 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -

@gakon: I could kiss you. Thank you, you've inspired me!

#8 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

It depends, I'll check ahead of time to see if DLC is worth the price tag. If it is, then i've just added about a weeks worth of playing time to a game.

#9 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

maybe like map packs are kind of worth it but something aren't. i regret buying one of fable 2's DLC. i don't remember which one it was but it has the hour glasses that you bought. it only took me like an hour to beat. i wasn't happy with it as it was short. the other one was good.

#10 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

It depends on the type of DLC. But generally if I like a game and want more of it it's better for me to spend a few extra dollars here and there to get more instead of waiting 2-4 years and hope there is a sequel.

#11 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -

Expansions like those in fallout I usually get, only really regretted getting the mothership zeta one though...

#12 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

I try to avoid getting DLC based on principle, but I have bought some on a few occasions if I feel it's worth the value and they didn't intentionally leave it out of the game just to sell it at a later date.

#13 Posted by NicksCorner (410 posts) -

I want to do avoid it.

But in the late hours my defences might drop if I fear I will be missing out on meaningful story content.

#14 Posted by probablytuna (3535 posts) -

I primarily buy DLC because of the story content, Dragon Age and Mass Effect DLCs come to mind. I've purchase a few weapons/costume DLC but I generally avoid them unless I feel that I absolutely need them.

#15 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

DLC from EA games is a prime example of why people hate dlc.

#16 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

I tend to not purchase DLC, unless it's a game I like, or I'm peer pressured into buying map packs for whatever game all my friends are playing.

#17 Posted by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

I don't buy dlc unless it's extra levels, extra quests, cheap map packs. Characters I won't touch unless I can buy them separately instead of packs for a cheap price (Uncharted 3 comes to mind).

#18 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

Now that I think about it I don't have a lot of games that have heavily supported DLC.

Off my mind the few titles I've bought DLC for was Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, I guess because I enjoyed playing those games and it gave me a reason to spend more time with them. Mortal Kombat, because I was interested in trying the characters (didn't get that last one) plus I thought that game was really cool so I wanted to support it the best I could. It was kind of the same scenario with the DLC characters to Clash of Heroes. It was a inexpensive piece of DLC but also pretty bare bones, however the game was one of my favorites of that year so I wanted to support it to the fullest, even if that meant buying this half-good thing they put out.

The Mega Man 9 & 10 DLC was mostly pretty awful, I got the extra characters though.

#19 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

If game is good, me want more game. Pretty simple caveman logic there.

As for good and bad, regrets and such... anything small is typically not worth the trouble, like all those Oblivion houses and Mass Effect guns. It's the bigger stuff I like, the Fallout expansions and Mass Effect 2 missions.

My one big annoyance with it is that this content is time-limited by its very nature, once the servers go down and you change hardware that stuff is gone. That's a bummer, and I always try to remember that what is on the disc is the true game that will last forever.

#20 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@natalie516 said:

I didn't find any discussion revolving around this, so for my own curiosity, I'm asking: "Why do you purchase DLC?"

What is it about DLC that has people buying it to a game they've already spent money on? I'm not judging if you do purchase DLC, I'm more curious because I don't purchase it and am wondering what is the appeal? On top of that, if you do buy DLC, have you ever regretted and why?

Thanks in advance for satiating my curiosity!

Why should I spend money on a game I might not like and looks kind of shitty, when I could spend it on a game I already love and get more of it?

#21 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

Now that I think about it I don't have a lot of games that have heavily supported DLC.

Off my mind the few titles I've bought DLC for was Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, I guess because I enjoyed playing those games and it gave me a reason to spend more time with them. Mortal Kombat, because I was interested in trying the characters (didn't get that last one) plus I thought that game was really cool so I wanted to support it the best I could. It was kind of the same scenario with the DLC characters to Clash of Heroes. It was a inexpensive piece of DLC but also pretty bare bones, however the game was one of my favorites of that year so I wanted to support it to the fullest, even if that meant buying this half-good thing they put out.

The Mega Man 9 & 10 DLC was mostly pretty awful, I got the extra characters though.

You beat me to the punch here with Clash of Heroes. I was thinking back and realized I buy DLC either because the value proposition is too good to pass up, or because I end up feeling like I underpaid for a product and want to give the developer more of my money. Clash of Heroes was the latter, especially considering I picked it up during one of the Gold Deal weekly offers and put SO many hours into it.

Almost always though, the value proposition just isn't there, except for maybe expansions like Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening, or Shivering Isles. DLC faces the same uphill battle that my new full game purchases need to overcome if they want to vie for my dollar. A lot of it is context and perceived value.

When you strip away the context of a game, you ask yourself, is this one 60-120 minute mission really worth $10 to me? Most times I'm going to have to say no. Sales do get me to pick up DLC I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, though, just like I'll pick up games I wouldn't have touched otherwise if I see them on cheapassgamer or something for $15 shipped.

The biggest challenge is that most games wear out their welcome long before DLC enters the picture. Very rarely will I ever finish a game so completely and be left desperately wanting more. Even when that is the case, the DLC usually comes so late that it's difficult to overcome that gamer inertia when you're no longer playing a game and are confronted with the prospect of tracking the disc down, putting it in the tray, getting used to the controls again, etc, just to try this one piece of paid content. Many people couldn't be bothered even if it was free. If I wasn't completely hooked on Portal 2 when it came out, I probably wouldn't have reinstalled it for the Peer Review add-on. EA or some other company would have DEFINITELY charged for that, so really, what are a few puzzles worth to me at that point?

I guess it just boils down to a question of value to the player and nothing more.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (7999 posts) -

I buy DLC when I feel either A) it's worth the money or B) I had so much fun with the original game that it should have been more than $60 to begin with.

For example, while I can't really argue that the DLC costumes for SFxT are worth $26, buying them was a way for me to say "Thank you" to Capcom for giving me a game I've gotten well over $100 worth of fun out of.

#23 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@natalie516 said:

@VinceNotVance: It's that simple? I was sort of hoping there was more of a reason I guess...I figure, "I just spent $60 on this game, what could they possibly be providing me for additional cash that is going to make this a better game?"

I'm not cheap, but for some reason thinking of purchasing downloadable content doesn't appeal to me...I guess yours is as good as a reason as any.

it actually is. if the game is awesome and they produce more of it, adding something new (and worthwile) either gameplay or story-wise OR giving everything a whole new twist, I'm all there. it's basically the same as buying a sequel ...only with it's probably shorter, cheaper and arrives within months not years.

Good examples:

Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption: 7-ish hours of new singleplayer content plus new multiplayer stuff

Minerva's Den for BioShock 2: Hailed by many as being even better than the main game, it tells a totally different story within the same world with a much more focused pace.

Pigsy's Perfect 10 for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Ditching the characters from the main game and switching the gameplay style to a more stealth-action-y kind of game that explains the back story of a side character. Also has much more light hearted storytelling than the main story.

Bad examples:

all Saints Row The Third DLC: pretty insignificant extra missions, very little effect on the main game (if I recall correctly), nothing really new and fresh.

Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot for Borderlands. Boring arena gameplay that takes forever to complete and is no fun with no option to save progress during a challenge. DLC that focused on the least interesting part of the game and had no additional loot items.

Any skin pack, item pack or map pack that sells you old maps you probably paid for before (*cough* Call of Duty *cough*)

#24 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

I typically don't. I don't like the notion of DLC as a whole, nor do I like how companies have exploited it to basically make their games bordering $100 if you want the complete experience...

I was alright with expansion packs for $20 or sometimes even $30 if they were big enough and really had meaningful content, but with the state DRM is in currently, I am not a fan of DLC and I fear that I wont be able to access it in a few years time when servers are shut down, or content is just taken offline.

#25 Posted by MEATBALL (3067 posts) -

Fresh content for a game that I love? It's also an opportunity to reward the people involved for making something I enjoyed. I honestly have no issue with the concept of DLC at all and the only time it ever really bothers me is when it's content that is complete on the retail disc or if I buy DLC that turns out to be poor - but most of the time I'll have a pretty good idea what I'm getting into when I make the purchase.

#26 Posted by gamefreak9 (2344 posts) -

DLC just means less content than an expansion but more than a patch(unless its wow). The only DLC I hate is day 1 DLC, since it was ready but they used it for greedy purposes. When a game is released, I want EVERYTHING that has been made for that game up to that point, that is what I expect from a release day purchase.

#27 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

I stopped buying DLC even for games I really like. Twice now I've had some pretty serious technical issues because of DLC. 1 caused the loss of all my save games and the second made part of the game unplayable. It's actually safer to just not mess with it.

#28 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I tend to not purchase DLC, unless it's a game I like, or I'm peer pressured into buying map packs for whatever game all my friends are playing.

Why specifically EA?

#29 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -

@StingingVelvet said:

As for good and bad, regrets and such... anything small is typically not worth the trouble, like all those Oblivion houses and Mass Effect guns. It's the bigger stuff I like, the Fallout expansions and Mass Effect 2 missions.

My one big annoyance with it is that this content is time-limited by its very nature, once the servers go down and you change hardware that stuff is gone. That's a bummer, and I always try to remember that what is on the disc is the true game that will last forever.

Oh? Is that true for all games? I thought if you downloaded it it was yours? I wasn't aware that was time restriction?

#30 Posted by klimdeeni (141 posts) -

for me it depends on what it is. im not going to pay 3 bucks for a gun or a costume, but for like fallout, when they give you more missions, more costumes, more enemies, more map and locations, it's totally worth it. it's extendin your play. especially in a game like that because those are few and far between. it usually has to be a mass of content or im not interested. map packs for multiplayer are not near enough

#31 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -

@onan: Thank you! Your response was definitely one of the most well thought out ones.

#32 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@TentPole said:

The same reason I use to buy expansion packs.

This^

Extra content has been around for years, if not for free through expansions and mods, now it's seen everywhere in the form of payed DLC. If I like a game and there's an opportunity to see more content in the game, I will get it, and of course this depends on other factors too, like price, quality of content etc.

#33 Posted by natalie516 (29 posts) -
#34 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

coz i wanna

#35 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

@natalie516 said:

@StingingVelvet said:

Oh? Is that true for all games? I thought if you downloaded it it was yours? I wasn't aware that was time restriction?

Xbox Live for the 360 will go down someday just like it did for the original Xbox. At that point everything you bought only exists on your machine, and cannot be required.

Unless of course they have full backwards compatibility with all downloads from the 360 on the next Xbox, which would be nice, but I'm not betting on it.

#36 Posted by Vonocourt (2118 posts) -

@natalie516 said:

Not in that way, but if you delete it/switch consoles who's to say in a couple of years you'll be able to download it again. I know I can't download the DLC for the first Splinter Cell now.

#37 Posted by Hunkulese (2642 posts) -

@natalie516 said:

It is pretty much that simple. If I want more from a game I'll buy the DLC if I don't I won't.

I also look at the $60 thing differently. Games have been $60 forever even though they cost more to make now. People buying DLC allows them to keep new games at $60. I have no problem supporting game companies if they are creating games I enjoy and I know that if people are buying DLC they are more likely to continue making games I like.

#39 Posted by Daveyo520 (6652 posts) -

I get more game that I like. Think of them as small expansion packs. Everyone was fine with them for some reason yet they hate DLC.

#40 Posted by MethodMan008 (806 posts) -

If it is a game I like, I want more of that game.

Sometimes DLC is bad/short/etc.. but it's usually pretty cheap so I'm cool with that.

#41 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Because can has.

#42 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry said:

Because can has.

Unless do not want.

#43 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Buy Fallout New vegas DLC... it is incredibly awesome. I just had to say that.

#44 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

I rarely buy it unless it is a game i absolutely love. I usually check and see if it is worth it. Luckily the saints row quick looks saved me some money there.

#45 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@gamefreak9 said:

DLC just means less content than an expansion but more than a patch(unless its wow). The only DLC I hate is day 1 DLC, since it was ready but they used it for greedy purposes. When a game is released, I want EVERYTHING that has been made for that game up to that point, that is what I expect from a release day purchase.

You realize that's almost never true, right? The cert process for DLC is much, much shorter than it is for a full disc. They need to be gold mastered, but into the distribution channel, etc. Developers usually end up having about 2 months or so when they're mostly twiddling their thumbs.

That said, there are a number of times in recent memory when I wish they'd just wait an extra 2 months and include it because the product feels incomplete with out it. Mass Effect 3, hang that head in shame.

#46 Posted by gamefreak9 (2344 posts) -

@onan said:

@gamefreak9 said:

You realize that's almost never true, right? The cert process for DLC is much, much shorter than it is for a full disc. They need to be gold mastered, but into the distribution channel, etc. Developers usually end up having about 2 months or so when they're mostly twiddling their thumbs.

That said, there are a number of times in recent memory when I wish they'd just wait an extra 2 months and include it because the product feels incomplete with out it. Mass Effect 3, hang that head in shame.

i'm trying to figure out what your talking about... whats never true? What I expect?

If your saying what I think your saying i'd say no because even if it gets certified after the disk, they can still make that DLC complementary.

#47 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

@natalie516: I'm usually pretty picky when it comes to DLC. Normally I buy it on sale or if it's for a multiplayer game that I'm truly interested in, I'll invest in a season pass. I can't say that there's been a DLC pack that I've purchased that I was not fond of, because I do my homework when it comes to that stuff. I know what I want, I know what price I want to pay for it, I know whether I'll get enjoyment out of it or not.

#48 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I buy the DLC I think is worth it for a game I like , some times there's DLC in that game I don't think is worth it so I don't buy it.

#49 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I buy only things I need like alternate costumes or watered down characters and/or map packs.