Why do I love Mass Effect but can't get into Dragon Age?

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By TerraDelu

I just tried playing Dragon Age last week, and couldn't even get more and 2 hours in. While I was putting the game back into the GameFly envelope, I was trying to figure out why I don't like DA at all, but I LOVE Mass Effect. Then I was reminded of a very similar situation: I LOVE Fallout 3 but I couldn't stand Elder Scrolls. My first thought was that maybe I just don't like fantasy settings, but LOTR are some of my favorite movies/books. I enjoy other fantasy things as well. So what is it about these games? Does anyone else have this same conundrum? 

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TerraDelu

I just tried playing Dragon Age last week, and couldn't even get more and 2 hours in. While I was putting the game back into the GameFly envelope, I was trying to figure out why I don't like DA at all, but I LOVE Mass Effect. Then I was reminded of a very similar situation: I LOVE Fallout 3 but I couldn't stand Elder Scrolls. My first thought was that maybe I just don't like fantasy settings, but LOTR are some of my favorite movies/books. I enjoy other fantasy things as well. So what is it about these games? Does anyone else have this same conundrum? 

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

cause they're different games that have nothing in common with the exception of the publisher and development studio, and minor basic story structure similarity, while one is more pleasing to your brain than the other?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Because they are different games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Because Dragon Age is an actual RPG that isn't a 3rd Person Shooter.

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GrandpaJelly

You probably like the world and combat of Mass Effect more.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meteora

Because... well Dragon Age is more of your traditional RPG; and is significantly more difficult.

It depends on the game, really.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By christ0phe
@TerraDelu: I couldn't get into DOA at first either, but I stuck with it, and now I'm on my second playthrough.  Play as a mage...I always play as a warrior class, and did so on my first play through, but playing as a mage changes the game completely.  It is a lot more fun, and combat is much more varied.
Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By Stefan

you probably could get into the dragon age addon, it's different.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FacelessVixen

...Are you playing DA on a console?

DJSire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By DJSire
@Meteora said:
" Because... well Dragon Age is more of your traditional RPG; and is significantly more difficult.  It depends on the game, really. "
I don't know if I'd say 'more difficult', just different combat systems. ME on Insanity is just as tactical and challenging as DA on Hardcore, but the immediacy of combat damage in ME make you feel like you're doing/taking a lot more damage.

OP: These games really can't be compared. DA is an old school PC style RPG, while ME is a new school console style RPG. While they both may be RPGs, and are developed by the same company, it would be like comparing siblings. They share some DNA, but are completely different in most aspects... unless they have an alcoholic father, then they just love to drink.... whoa, hey, I just kinda kept typing after making my point there.
TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TerraDelu
@CL60: It's not the gameplay that took me out of the game, that was what struck me as strange.
TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TerraDelu
@TheSilentTruth: Console. But I played Mass Effect on console also. And besides, as I said, it wasn't the gameplay or "action" as it were that is removing me from the game. Also, as I said, the same thing happened to me with Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Just weird...
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By meteora
@DJSire: Sure. You could say that. I only said its significantly more harder because its not as simple as hiding behind cover and shooting. Dragon Age was pretty hard on even just normal.

Then again, it depends on the person. Maybe I just suck at micromanagement.
AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AsianSwagger

It's because Mass Effect is actually a good game whereas Dragon Age is not.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By sagesebas
@TerraDelu: Very very different games, also you probably played Dragon Age on consoles right? Play it on PC and you'll get what you're missing.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mrnitropb

Because you like Lasers too much.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have to say, I didn't even try Dragon Age because I find fantasy to be a complete turn off for me. That game could be amazing for all I know but all I can think about is how there's a guy who can cast fireballs and revive the dead yet still lives in some shitty wood hut wearing dirty robes.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TerraDelu
@Mrnitropb: hahahahahah the truth uncovered!
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sagesebas

Dragon age was fun for me because it involved a lot of strategy and micro management, I paused a bunch. Even when I'd die in a battle I knew that if I tweaked my strategy a little bit that I might come out victorious, and when it worked it was very rewarding. 

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Liam_mk
@TheSilentTruth said:
" ...Are you playing DA on a console? "
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

For me, setting of Mass Effect > setting of Dragon Age.

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvolutionX0

Well its two completely different games expect that its developed and published by the same company's.  

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Metroid545

Maybe it is because they are different games

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@AsianSwagger said:
" It's because Mass Effect is actually a good game whereas Dragon Age is not. "
Oh you so silly. Because bad games get great reviews and show that a genre thought to be mostly dead can still be quite popular. Thats the way the world works.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yinstarrunner

Is it because you like shooters so much that any game that doesn't involve you viscerally shooting bad guys in the face just can't keep your interest?

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iKANNIBAL
@FluxWaveZ said:

" For me, setting of Mass Effect > setting of Dragon Age. "

That may hold true but RPG wise Dragon Age > Mass Effect. and i hate to say that so much because i too LOVE Sci-fi over Fantasy but its too bad Bioware couldn't do Mass Effect in a fasion similiar to Kotor or the rest of their games.

Mass Effect 2 was barely an RPG it was a convenient watered down shooter with "Some" rpg elements, its a good game, but a very generic RPG. it didn't nearly give you as many options and wasn't nearly as indepth as either Kotor, DA or Jade Empire. Setting wise, its awesome but RPG wise? Mass Effect is the weakest by Bioware yet....you don't even have as much influence on other characters in Mass Effect as you do in other Bioware titles.....its more so a mainstream RPG think of Mass Effect as "Halo" and Kotor/DA would be Half-life. 

Anyway tis a shame you didn't play it more, in terms of story & as an RPG overall, Dragon Age was better than Fallout 3. 

@AsianSwagger

said:

" It's because Mass Effect is actually a good game whereas Dragon Age is not. "

Mass Effect has a nice setting, but if were talking RPG's? Mass Effect is pretty weak. Most of us played through Mass Effect only once, RPG's are supposed to make you want too play them a 2nd, 3rd and perhaps 4th time, but Mass Effect was so limited and watered down replaying it felt like replaying the campaign of an FPS game......completely pointless.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By grilledcheez

Dragon Age is great, I just wish the world was more interesting...the one town looked like a little kid designed it.  As for you not liking it, it's definitely an RPG...Mass Effect 2 really isn't for the most part.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By natetodamax

It might be because they are completely different.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By T0mF5
@CL60 said:
" Because they are different games. "
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpiralStairs

Mass Effect is a 3rd person with RPG elements, while Dragon Age is a real RPG.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#31  Edited By alistercat

They are nothing alike, and Dragon Age on consoles sucks.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By fjordson

Play Dragon Age on PC.

If this is what you've already been doing, then I think it's just a matter of two fairly different styles.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NegativeCreep

Because you like shooting shit and using badass biotic powers instead of left-clicking dudes to death. 

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karl_Boss

Better question....why did I love ME1 but hated ME2?

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jasta

If you came into Dragon Age expecting to play Mass Effect but with swords then you were bound to be dissapointed.

Yeah you have similarities with the dialogue options and picking your squad but other than that they play totally different.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'd still wager it's setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TerraDelu said:
" I just tried playing Dragon Age last week, and couldn't even get more and 2 hours in. While I was putting the game back into the GameFly envelope, I was trying to figure out why I don't like DA at all, but I LOVE Mass Effect. Then I was reminded of a very similar situation: I LOVE Fallout 3 but I couldn't stand Elder Scrolls. My first thought was that maybe I just don't like fantasy settings, but LOTR are some of my favorite movies/books. I enjoy other fantasy things as well. So what is it about these games? Does anyone else have this same conundrum?  "
The same way I blew 40+ hours into DAO, and 2 hours into Mass Effect 1 I could not for the love of god get into that game. It tried twice first when it came out, second with plantium hits, both times I wound up giving up after like 2-3 hours.
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pweidman

If you're playing DA on a console, I totally get it.  I tried.  After about 10 hrs of playtime I just couldn't get into it and keep pushing forward.  It seemed so dated in many ways like Bioware just reused tech and assets from older games.  I was very disappointed and surprised to be honest. Much better on pc I hear.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Because you love Science Fiction/Third Person shooters/Gripping Plot as opposed to Fantasy/Point and click/strategy/dry humping elves and shit

Trust me, I am a huge fan of Bioware's scifi genre games such as both Mass Effect titles and KOTOR but Dragonage...admitidly.......was utter homo.

StephenLacey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StephenLacey
@JerichoBlyth: The fact that you called the game "homo" nullifies anything you said beforehand.
Bigassturd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bigassturd

like a dumbfucker i bought DA origins >used> from GS. Played it, thought hmm creators of kotor, niceee! 
Hated it, got stuck got lost poor graphics poor story retarded dialogue

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

love Dragon Age, reminds me of the long nights playing Neverwinter, Mass Effect is good as well, but they're two completely different games