Why do just about no game have real time zombie infections?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Why I acknowledge that several zombie/infection types are slow to develop, others aren't.  Why is it that just about no games have ever shown an infection happen?  Why have we not seen headcrabs in Half Life take over the host either-- they really just attack you? (or do they attach to dead bodies?, can't remember)

Anyway, if you know any games that do so, show a  video.  

Here's my contribution to real time infection:

Keep in mind that it's not limited to marines- there's elites, brutes, etc.

* And I mean actually looking like a zombie, a transformation of some sort. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I think there was an early PSP game that did such a thing. You had to spray your blood on zombies to turn them back to normal, but I think they could do it to you.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheFreeMan

I think you do see headcrabs taking over some people near the beginning of HL2. They can't connect to dead bodies since when you kill the body the crab jumps off (I believe).

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@TheFreeMan said:
"I think you do see headcrabs taking over some people near the beginning of HL2. They can't connect to dead bodies since when you kill the body the crab jumps off (I believe)."

Lame....Episode 3 feature perhaps? (:
Doubt it.

Anyway, not to pick a fight with valve, but why do they take so long? >.>
they don't even put out full games.  All their games a smaller things  (portal, left 4 dead, episodes) or multiplayer only games.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Kiemoe
@Video_Game_King: Yeah the game you're thinking of is just totally called "Infected"
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

my god.  Is that the original Metal Slugs or one of the newer ones?  looks...comedic actually.  Not suprising though, metal slug is pretty comedic in generally.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Metal Slug 3. Of course it's comedic, over the top hilarious fun is all it's about.

Have sound high, the music's so fitting too x)

These guys are experts, I die a billion times to go through that in solo, and they make it look so easy. Damn.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Kiemoe
@Al3xand3r: How does that work exactly? Like do you become a zombie after getting killed by a zombie, and if you die again you respawn as normal?
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you die again, you die for good :P (well, lose a life)

But I think you're at least immune to normal bullets or something like that if you're a zombie. Not the special boss shots and such though, and not immune to more zombies. If you get a pill pick up you revert to normal.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Skillface

I think it would be cool for there to be an open-world survival horror game where you see a counter in the corner of "Number of People infected" in your town, country, or even the world.

Although I doubt anybody would be able to pull that kind of thing off.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm not certain, but I think a real-time transformation is in Extermination.  That's not really zombies though.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Origina1Penguin said:
"I'm not certain, but I think a real-time transformation is in Extermination.  That's not really zombies though."
Is there a video?
Either way, it doesn't matter.  Technically the flood isn't zombies either.  Well, not in the traditioanl sense.  They still can take a host, but they're, well, in a way like headcrabs, or any of those sci-fi ones.

However, what makes them not zombies is the fact that they're more like an organism piloting another organism, not braindead.  A guardian of sorts.  I think that the level that best demonstrates this is the end of the covenant where you fight along the flood when your both rushing to kill the prophet who is trying right then to activate the rings.

Damn, I love halo lore.  So much shit going on-- the reason we need more!  If I didn't see Reach I'd be so angry.  For those of you who don't know, that's an epic, epic battle.  Ahh... going off topic.  There's not even going to be flood in reach...or at least if there is you'll die and not report back.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, you really don't see it so often. I do recall those small Flood parasites in Halo will enter bodies and transform into zombies in real-time. I think I've also seen some real-time transformations in at least a couple of the Resident Evil games. Oh, funny. I scrolled up again to your original post and noticed you linked Halo 3 videos. Ha. My PC is going slow so they hadn't loaded the first time I read what you wrote. Guess we're on the same page then. Cool. ;)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't think there's really much call for it, I mean traditional zombification is a pretty slow process, it takes hours. If it's something that happens in moment then you are likely to see it on the screen. There are tons of non-zombie like mutations that happen this way though.

I do remember a game where you get bitten, and have a certain amount of time to find a cure before being turned into a zombie, don't remember what it was though and I think you just died instead of turning into a zombie.

Also, another Halo appreciation topic? Wtf.

Edit: Headcrabs attach to live bodies, and you hear it in HL during the raid on the resistance network, but im not sure if you see it or not. Either way, why would you need to? Doesn't make muc sense to me it's needless extra work for the animators when i'd much rather they put the effort into refining something else.

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By freakin

So you're asking why a make believe thing isn't depicted in a realistic fashion?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

Biohazard Outbreak did it pretty well in my opinion.

You're infected with it, and what you do can speed it up or slow it down.