• 67 results
ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By ASpaceSeaman

I just don't get it. The interns seem like pretty good folk. Why do people hate on them? I was just reading Kessler's review of Yakuza 4, and I saw several comments to the effect of, "Why the fuck is Kessler writing reviews? This site is going down the toliet. This is why I don't read reviews on the site anymore. Another Kessler review? Guess this one is written horribly."

It's just mind-blowing how butt-hurt people are getting over the fact that someone besides the four duders, with an occasional Dave or Drew (who was an intern by the way), are providing content to the site. What is the problem? Why is it bad? Kessler is a great writer. He complements the four duders perfectly. He can explain what he thinks in writing, and he does so well. He's kind of a strange guy (so is everyone else on the site), but he's extremely eloquent. Steve's a great video editor (have you seen the Spook Look intro?!), and Ben and Nick....are Ben and Nick!

My rambling aside, these guys are pretty cool. I don't get why the community has such disdain for them. They make quality content for the site that isn't even put on the site, and I hate to break it to you guys but someday Jeff and the guys are gonna get old, and they're gonna want to retire. Someone will take their place. It may not be these interns, but it will be someone.

So I pose this question again (If you've even gotten this far and haven't flamed me in the comments yet), why do you hate the interns? My best guess is that its Jeff and Ryan's (mostly Ryan's) apparent hatred of them. It's called sarcasm you guys. A joke. They don't really have some prejudice belief about interns. They actually don't mind them at all. If they hated them, there would be no reason to keep them around besides to get sandwiches and burritos.

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

I just don't get it. The interns seem like pretty good folk. Why do people hate on them? I was just reading Kessler's review of Yakuza 4, and I saw several comments to the effect of, "Why the fuck is Kessler writing reviews? This site is going down the toliet. This is why I don't read reviews on the site anymore. Another Kessler review? Guess this one is written horribly."

It's just mind-blowing how butt-hurt people are getting over the fact that someone besides the four duders, with an occasional Dave or Drew (who was an intern by the way), are providing content to the site. What is the problem? Why is it bad? Kessler is a great writer. He complements the four duders perfectly. He can explain what he thinks in writing, and he does so well. He's kind of a strange guy (so is everyone else on the site), but he's extremely eloquent. Steve's a great video editor (have you seen the Spook Look intro?!), and Ben and Nick....are Ben and Nick!

My rambling aside, these guys are pretty cool. I don't get why the community has such disdain for them. They make quality content for the site that isn't even put on the site, and I hate to break it to you guys but someday Jeff and the guys are gonna get old, and they're gonna want to retire. Someone will take their place. It may not be these interns, but it will be someone.

So I pose this question again (If you've even gotten this far and haven't flamed me in the comments yet), why do you hate the interns? My best guess is that its Jeff and Ryan's (mostly Ryan's) apparent hatred of them. It's called sarcasm you guys. A joke. They don't really have some prejudice belief about interns. They actually don't mind them at all. If they hated them, there would be no reason to keep them around besides to get sandwiches and burritos.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By craigbo180
@5socks5 said:
there would be no reason to keep them around besides to get sandwiches and burritos.
Jackpot.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The community as a whole doesn't hate the interns, I've seen a lot of love for them, but there are certain people going out of their way to show how much they dislike them. I think a big part of the problem is that Giant Bomb is largely based around the personalities who provide content for it, many people came here in the first place because this was the home of Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny, so when you add a new personality to the mix, no matter who they are then there's going to be backlash from certain people purely for the reason that this new personality isn't Jeff, Ryan, Brad or Vinny. I have been surprised by quite how opposed to the interns some people are though.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Berezov

Jealousy. 

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

@Gamer_152: @Berezov: A mixture of both these things makes a lot of sense to me. People love the duders so much that they wish they could be the interns.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Yanngc33

I like them, ben and nick make awesome wiki tasks and kessler is pretty funny in my opinion. And Steve must be a pretty good video editor since the videos on the site are all top notch

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

@Yanngc33: Vinny and Drew do all of those mate.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Yanngc33
@5socks5 yeah but steve helps
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Gamer_152 said:

The community as a whole doesn't hate the interns, I've seen a lot of love for them, but there are certain people going out of their way to show how much they dislike them. I think a big part of the problem is that Giant Bomb is largely based around the personalities who provide content for it, many people came here in the first place because this was the home of Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny, so when you add a new personality to the mix, no matter who they are then there's going to be backlash from certain people purely for the reason that this new personal isn't Jeff, Ryan, Brad or Vinny. I have been surprised by quite how opposed to the interns some people are though.

Well put.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Mushir

I like Nick and Steve. Big Ben is pretty cool. Kessler is a very good writer, but the only thing I find annoying about him is how he talks exactly like Ryan Davis. I'm liking him the card game videos that they've been making lately though. Overall, they're nice guys who get a lot of shit just because they're doing something that we all wish we could do.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ThePaleKing

Hating on them because you like the four duders is somewhat of a silly reason; I mean, it is the four duders who decided that these interns were good enough to post reviews, do videos, etc, so maybe they deserve some respect. Interning certainly isn't easy.  

Also jelly mad butt-hurt cry moar. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake

Because people wish they were interns instead... 

Actually, what Gamer_152 says. People come here for the personalities. The interns aren't any of them so people just get bitch and start demanding and hatin' cause yo, internet.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think Steve and Kessler are great. They seem to have personalities that mesh well with the rest of the Whiskey folk. Also its nice to listen to the GB guys bash somebody (in an obviously playful manner).

@Twilight said:

Overall, they're nice guys who get a lot of shit just because they're doing something that we all wish we could do.

Basically this.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14  Edited By tofford

I like the interns they are now giving us a lot of good content. Its never going to be on par with the big boys but they have to learn somewhere and all there stuff seems to be put in the community section anyway...except farmville

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By kagato

I like the Interns, i think you are right though that the haters think they are copying Ryan and that gives them some sort of weird justification. Remember when everyone accused Ryan of hating Brad? Pretty much the same thing, they cant think of anything positive to say so they insult the interns to get attention.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hockeymask27
@Berezov said:
Jealousy. 
ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

@kagato: Dude! I remember that from the beginning! Ryan started the whole Brad pulling a Brad in a Quick Look thing.

God I love Ryan's sense of humor. I really wanna know what he was ROFLing about on ILM.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CptBedlam

I love Kessler. The guy is funny, shows great personality on camera and does some great work.

It weirds me out how some people claim he tries too hard or imitates the stuff. I never notice any of this.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By matoya

They try to hard, instead of being natural

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Thor_Molecules

But I love the interns. They have been pumping out some great content to keep me entertained during the summer drought.

The podcasts, Metagame, Fear Gauntlet, and all the individual video's they upload, are all great. And they get better every day.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vexxan

The interns are great, I enjoy listening to their podcast and watching their videos, be it behind-the-scenes footage or the more lately "serious" content like The Fear Gauntlet and the Meta Game challenge.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By imsh_pl

The Metagame video series is among the best I've ever seen on Giant Bomb.

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sharpshooter

Its an act, plain and simple. Though I'm surprised you haven't figured it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also like the interns, their contents great :)

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I don't. I hate Kessler.

AHHHH NOT REALLY.

I do hate Kezzler

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By jkuc316
@Rufi91 said:

I don't. I hate Kessler.

AHHHH NOT REALLY.

I do hate Kezzler

Who is that using the account anyways? Is he the Gamebomb.ru version of Kessler? or RivalVGwebsite?
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CptBedlam

@jkuc316 said:

@Rufi91 said:

I don't. I hate Kessler.

AHHHH NOT REALLY.

I do hate Kezzler

Who is that using the account anyways? Is he the Gamebomb.ru version of Kessler? or RivalVGwebsite?

Wow, what sad little individual has time for crap like that? That is pure jealousy.

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

@Sharpshooter: How is it an act? Like Betting the Farmville? Or the Endurance Run? Or TANG? Just because something on the site isn't completely impromptu like the Quick Looks and Podcasts doesn't mean it's an act.

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

@Rufi91: That is the first thing from this community that has genuinely made me sick to my stomach. That is pathetic.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CptBedlam

@5socks5: I think he means the hate towards the interns.

And it's an act on the WM crew's part, yes ... but some individuals in the community are not acting.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sirdesmond

The interns rule. They are putting out some great content, especially all this week (and it looks like for the next few weeks they are still around). I am actually really bummed that they are all going to be leaving so soon since my time actively following Giant Bomb has been so short and I haven't had much time to follow them.

The Internal Affairs podcast is great. I would read/watch an entire website of Kessler doing anything (dude is hilarious/smart).

I just wish that more of the Interns content got a place directly on the site, rather than being hidden on the YouTube channel that I only recently discovered.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By danimal_furry

I think it's simply based on the old trope that interns usually are the whipping boys (girls) of the vested employees. It's mostly a joke played by the GB staff... with a lot of ignorant internet folks taking it litterally.
walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By walreese55

Honestly, I just hate Kessler's personality. I really don't mind the other interns, they all seem cool and unobnoxious, but it's fucking kessler who's the worst

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tennmuerti

@CptBedlam said:

@jkuc316 said:

@Rufi91 said:

I don't. I hate Kessler.

AHHHH NOT REALLY.

I do hate Kezzler

Wow, what sad little individual has time for crap like that? That is pure jealousy.

Hehe. I actually found this to be worth an occasional chuckle.

@5socks5: As someone who really likes Kessler, I think he would have the sense of humor to enjoy it and bask in the jealousy :P

(or he is fucking with people and doing it himself ironically, which would also be even more awesome)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

They seem totally fine, it's just, as a rule, I don't care what school kids think about anything. Everybody's gotta start somewhere though. Check out some of the crew's old videos; by those standards the current interns are born entertainers. It takes time to find a voice that works, and it takes time to earn the respect of an audience.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By laserbolts

I don't have a problem with them at all. I like the interns.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Other peoples teenagers/kids are annoying little shits. That's why.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Branthog

I don't think you understand the point. It's all satirical. Most places (especially in tech and media) make light of "abusing" the interns, because it's acknowledged that it's a thankless slave-job full of humiliation, though they're often beloved by all involved, too.

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By karatetron

I love them all. At the same time, however, I find it hilarious the amount they get shit on, especially Kessler.

No matter how much you like Kessler, it's pretty hard not to find this funny.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cheesebob

It took me a while to warm to Kessler, especially last year. But this year the interns have been pretty cool, espeically with the increased coverage given to them by Giant Bomb (and the other websites)

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Three0neFive
@Branthog said:

I don't think you understand the point. It's all satirical. Most places (especially in tech and media) make light of "abusing" the interns, because it's acknowledged that it's a thankless slave-job full of humiliation, though they're often beloved by all involved, too.

This.

I mean, you'd have to be autistic not to pick up on it.
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti said:

@CptBedlam said:

@jkuc316 said:

@Rufi91 said:

I don't. I hate Kessler.

AHHHH NOT REALLY.

I do hate Kezzler

Hehe. I actually found this to be worth an occasional chuckle.

@5socks5: As someone who really likes Kessler, I think he would have the sense of humor to enjoy it and bask in the jealousy :P

(or he is fucking with people and doing it himself ironically, which would also be even more awesome)

its depressing but some i would be lying if i said some of those posts didnt make me laugh...  I like all of the interns, they seem like nice people
szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By szlifier
@TrippinBungalow said:

I love them all. At the same time, however, I find it hilarious the amount they get shit on, especially Kessler.

No matter how much you like Kessler, it's pretty hard not to find this funny.

This is amazing.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SSully

I think they are great, they bring their own little spin to the sites content. They are like the little brothers of the team, with Ryan being the older brother who constantly makes fun of them. Anyone who seriously hates on them are idiots, they have put out some great content on their own.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

Honestly? It's Matt's moobies.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Simplexity

Personally I don't care about the interns either way, I only come here for the Fab 4 don't give a fuck about the rest.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't hate them, I just don't usually enjoy listening to them very much. I especially find the way Kessler talks to be irritating, which prevents me from watching their Fear Gauntlet videos.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#49  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Because there's now five pieces of "community" content from them that just pushed mine off the front page?

I'm kidding. I'm frankly amazed at how much fun stuff they're putting out as their internships end. I'm hoping that wherever they end up, they continue to contribute at least half as much as they're doing now. Unless they all start working for rivalvideogamewebsite.com, in which case they're dead to me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#50  Edited By Yummylee
@rebgav said:

@CptBedlam said:

I love Kessler. The guy is funny, shows great personality on camera and does some great work.

I agree. The rest of the interns don't seem to belong in front of the camera.

They all have their place, I think. Kessler has the best on-screen persona, Nick is all up with the pod-casting, Lemon has some solid video editing skills, and Ben is the guy who could throw you across the room like a frisbee.