• 63 results
#1 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -

Tony Hawk is so stupid, you press a face button to do a trick, it's almost impossible to bail and it's stupidly unrealistic.

Skate 3 is SOOOo much better. why do some people like Tony Hawk so much?
Is this because I actually skate for reals?
#2 Edited by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Its an arcade type of skating game, its more fast paced and also it did get the first mover advantage i.e. came out first compared to Skate
The first 3 Tony hawk games were freaking amazing and the Tony Hawk name still sells units (although most ot the new games are shockingly bad) still people buy these bad games, because of the name

Skate is cool, i really enjoyed Skate 3.

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5262 posts) -

I feel like this is flagable.
#4 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
#5 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: I didn't mean any offence, jeez. I just personally don't like it. Gimme a break. :P
#6 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
Trust your feelings Seth, you know them to be true!
#7 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -

Lol, 'sif I care if it's flagged.

#8 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@doobish said:
Is this because I actually skate for reals?
No, from the sounds of it it's because you didn't play any skating games before Skate 3. If you grew up playing things like Skate or Die, you'd realise that Tony Hawk was the natural progression for skating games at the time, and it definitely has its place in gaming history as a playable and important series (at some point, anyway).

P.S. You're hardcore.
#9 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Skate is a terrible series. The first game was pretty good, but still had plenty of work to it. With each successive game, EA has ran the game further into the ground without really capitalizing on the original game's breakthrough potential. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to intentionally bail off of this rooftop and aim for that there trashcan.

They should be ashamed of themselves. At least the Tony Hawk games were continuously good and had a long and respectable run.

#10 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

Before it got run into the ground, the Tony Hawk franchise was on its way to becoming one of the all-time greats. I like Skate for being a somewhat sim-ish experience (at least in comparison), and Tony Hawk for being over the top arcade style.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

#12 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5262 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
Skate is a terrible series. The first game was pretty good, but still had plenty of work to it. With each successive game, EA has ran the game further into the ground without really capitalizing on the original game's breakthrough potential. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to intentionally bail off of this rooftop and aim for that there trashcan.They should be ashamed of themselves. At least the Tony Hawk games were continuously good and had a long and respectable run.

Opinions as facts people.

The rule of the forum.

#13 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@buzz_clik: Yes but that should mean that they should make new games instead of recreating old stuff? "P.S. You're hardcore." What? Why you saying this? :P
#14 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Nostalgia and it's craziness. How old are you by the way?

#15 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@TheGreatGuero said:
Skate is a terrible series. The first game was pretty good, but still had plenty of work to it. With each successive game, EA has ran the game further into the ground without really capitalizing on the original game's breakthrough potential. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to intentionally bail off of this rooftop and aim for that there trashcan.They should be ashamed of themselves. At least the Tony Hawk games were continuously good and had a long and respectable run.

The rule of the forum.

How did he try to pass off his opinion as fact? Was it because there wasn't a nice "IMO" in there somewhere?
#16 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@Barrock: I'm only 14 so nostalgia is... yeah.
#17 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -
@doobish said:
@Barrock: I'm only 14 so nostalgia is... yeah.
Ahhh okay, that makes sense. When I was your age most of my friends were skaters. Most loved the Tony Hawk series because they were into CKY, Bam and the craziness of the games. But I had one friend who was probably the best of the group who hated the series because it was unrealistic and made fun of it.
#18 Edited by Freddie_Bert (45 posts) -

I'd say comparing the two is kind of silly, Tony Hawk has always been a less realistic take on skateboarding, while Skate has tried to be more realistic. If you're complaining about the realism level, you're missing the point of the Tony Hawk games. They were about finding crazy shit and doing ridiculous stuff on skateboards, naturally if you're a pure Skate fan you're not gonna enjoy the skateboarding game that doesn't allow that kind of realism.

In short, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, anyone?

#19 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5262 posts) -
@SBYM said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@TheGreatGuero said:

The rule of the forum.

How did he try to pass off his opinion as fact? Was it because there wasn't a nice "IMO" in there somewhere?

There are ways to convey things as opinions in a well written way without IMO.  They fucking suck is not that way.
#20 Posted by CrazyBagMan (842 posts) -

I feel like I live in a different world than the one that this topic exists in. I haven't seen people like the Tony Hawk series in many years. 

#21 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@CrazyBagMan: That's how it should be. :P
#22 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@SBYM said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
@TheGreatGuero said:

The rule of the forum.

There are ways to convey things as opinions in a well written way without IMO.  They fucking suck is not that way.
I agree, but it still doesn't come across as trying to be a statement of fact. Then again, I never really get the "you're passing off opinion as fact" argument, because if the person reading it knows the difference between the two, then it shouldn't need to be explicitly stated as one or the other. Oh well, carry on.
#23 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@CrazyBagMan: That's how it should be. :P
#24 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -

THPS2/THPS3>>> any Skate

Without Tony Hawk games there would be no Skate. That crazy tricks stuff  made many people try the sport in real life. 
In the end its like asking why people like Burnout or Need For Speed more than Gran Turismo.

#25 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -

I think almost everyone would agree that Tony Hawk RIDE is crap, am I right?

#26 Posted by Daveyo520 (6758 posts) -
@buzz_clik: No, I AM hardcore! He has the softest cores compared to me yo. I only play Madden.
#27 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@Danteveli said:
THPS2/THPS3>>> any SkateWithout Tony Hawk games there would be no Skate. That crazy tricks stuff  made many people try the sport in real life.  In the end its like asking why people like Burnout or Need For Speed more than Gran Turismo.
I kinda agree but skating is a lot different that driving, that's like comparing a car with hairy balls.
#28 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Fucking loooooved THUG.

#29 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -
@Danteveli said:
   In the end its like asking why people like Burnout or Need For Speed more than Gran Turismo.
This exactly, or better, why people like NBA Jam more than the more recent NBA 2K releases, or WWE All Stars over Smackdown vs. Raw 2011. Tony Hawk, at least through THPS3, was totally still about skateboarding, but it made it larger than life and seem like the greatest thing in the world. Remember when Guitar Hero used to end with your character summoning a flying saucer to abduct your concert goers? Yeah, it sounds like the same stuff people got angry about when Neversoft took over the franchise, but that actually happened in Guitar Hero II.  And, honestly, I've heard a lot of people say that was still probably the pinnacle of the rhythm game genre from a fun-to-play vs. features standpoint.

People who really fondly remember Tony Hawk largely performed ridiculous chained tricks (like Jeff does in the TNT they spent playing Tony Hawk 3) that received pinball-size scores instead of performing more realistic tricks; the challenge comes in when you're trying to successfully pull off a forty trick combo, not from trying to simply land your 720 Benihanas. Those looking for a more realistic experience generally prefer Skate's more simulation-based approach.
#30 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
@buzz_clik: No, I AM hardcore! He has the softest cores compared to me yo. I only play Madden.
I am friggin' DIAMONDCORE, mate. I still think the Atari joystick is the most comfortable controller I've ever used.
#31 Posted by Khann (2850 posts) -

You just get worse and worse, GB community. Worse and worse.

No, I'm not talking about the OP.
#32 Posted by Daveyo520 (6758 posts) -
@buzz_clik: Well I can't beat that. You Aussies have to fight crocodiles every day.
#33 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -
@Sayishere said:
Its an arcade type of skating game, its more fast paced and also it did get the first mover advantage i.e. came out first compared to Skate The first 3 Tony hawk games were freaking amazing and the Tony Hawk name still sells units (although most ot the new games are shockingly bad) still people buy these bad games, because of the name Skate is cool, i really enjoyed Skate 3.
THIS. How old are you, OP?? This may be a major factor in why you like skate so much. It's all about the attitude and the arcade factor in tony hawk. 

@CrazyBagMan said:
I feel like I live in a different world than the one that this topic exists in. I haven't seen people like the Tony Hawk series in many years. 
I think that when someone mentions the Tony Hawk series, we all think about the first 3 installments wich are effin amazing.
#34 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
You Aussies have to fight crocodiles every day.
Well, we don't have to. Only if we want to eat.
#35 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

You had to be there. Sorry you grew up in the age of Suck

#36 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
@buzz_clik: Well I can't beat that. You Aussies have to fight crocodiles every day.
Do you really think that? REALLY? I am Australian.
#37 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

Why? Because Tony Hawk hit when we were younger. As unnerving as it is to say, the heyday of Tony Hawk was before your time. You were what, like four around the time Tony Hawk 3 came out?

#38 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -

I did play the older games, like when i was 7, on a ps2.

#39 Posted by User_Hostile (76 posts) -

Comparing Tony Hawk RIDE to Skate 3 is LUDICROUS in the extreme (no pun intended).

People like the first few TH games because they were.....good....just look at the Metacritic scores for TH3, are all those critics wrong?
#40 Posted by Daveyo520 (6758 posts) -
@doobish said:
@Daveyo520 said:
Of course. How else could Buzz be so hard core? Or you? You do seem really hard core after all. I guess you need to fight dingos too.
#41 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
@doobish said:
@Daveyo520 said:
Of course. How else could Buzz be so hard core? Or you? You do seem really hard core after all. I guess you need to fight dingos too.
Fuck your stupid if you really think that. I have never in my life seen a crocodile or a dingo. Do you think movies are real?
#42 Posted by Daveyo520 (6758 posts) -
@doobish: Are you calling Buzz_Clik a liar?! Of course I believe it! How could Australia be anything but Paul Hogan? Kangaroos and Koalas roam the streets.
#43 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

This looks like it's getting interesting.

#44 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Nostalgia pretty much.

#45 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
@doobish: Are you calling Buzz_Clik a liar?! Of course I believe it! How could Australia be anything but Paul Hogan? Kangaroos and Koalas roam the streets.
Either you're just trolling or you're a retard, i'm gonna go with trolling.
#46 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I loved Tony Hawk 2 and 3 for their sheer arcade ridiculousness. Plus they had killer soundtracks and the levels were great.

TH has since fallen way off the board (pun!). 

I enjoy skate, but I've never been able to properly master it. Might pick up 3 on the cheap soon...
#47 Posted by Daveyo520 (6758 posts) -
@doobish: I would NEVER! People who would troll are evil! Like say someone were to make a forum thread calling out Tony Hawk for no real reason and talk like an idiot using words like "reals" and calling the franchise stupid. They would be a stupid troll. Maybe they would still be using the default icon and just want to mess with people. No, I would never do that.
#48 Posted by Cereal_Killa (50 posts) -

I've never liked the Skate series, I've been waiting for Activision to cash in that "Nostalgia" card and make Pro Skater 5 for years now, 4 came out what nearly a decade ago? and "Reinventions" of classics seem to be big in gaming now. (Street Fighter IV and Mortal Kombat spring to mind)

#49 Edited by Djratchet (669 posts) -

Just throwing my two cents out there, I prefer the arcadey-ness of it like the other posters. I couldn't staaaand Skate, but I appreciated what it was going for.
Also, I may be in the minority with this opinion (or not) but i dunno...

THPS1-THUG = GREAT games
THUG2-THAW = last Good TH games but not great
 THP8 - Shred = total shit

#50 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
I loved Tony Hawk 2 and 3 for their sheer arcade ridiculousness. Plus they had killer soundtracks and the levels were great.

TH has since fallen way off the board (pun!). 

I enjoy skate, but I've never been able to properly master it. Might pick up 3 on the cheap soon...
I got it for $27, so it already is cheap.