• 51 results
#1 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -

Whenever I go into a game store they always say "Pre-order it now so you can have your copy the day it's released" and I look at them and say "Dude it's not that serious. I'm sure this game will be out everywhere."

GTAIV for example, I'm sure there will be more than enough copies on 4/29/08. I don't think publishing companies have the issue of shortage for games, now consoles are another thing.

Aside from the fact that the you may save $5 bucks on the game if you pre-order it. Why else should this be done?

#2 Posted by IroncladMerc (37 posts) -

Because everyone knows that if you don't pre-order you'll have to wait months to get a copy of the game.    They don't make enough copies of games for everyone you know.

Oh wait, you mean that's not true?

#3 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

well in the UK for GAME you get double points if you preorder so thats like nearly 8$ or £4 on a £40 game

#4 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -

Well there really isn't any reason not to.

Why not just guarantee yourself the copy? It's not like it's costing you more money, the preorder is taken from the game cost. So there really isn't any downside to it.

#5 Posted by MrVegeta (106 posts) -

If you preorder a game and pay it off and its a really popular game that generates lines of people, often times you can just walk right up to the counter and bypass the line.

#6 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
Tovan51 said:
"Well there really isn't any reason not to.

Why not just guarantee yourself the copy? It's not like it's costing you more money, the preorder is taken from the game cost. So there really isn't any downside to it."
he is right, furthermore most game shop give you bonuses for this kinda stuff.
#7 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

So you can secure you copy of popular games if they are expected to sell out.  Also on the less poplular games many stores will only order enough for the pre-orders.

#8 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

Game Stop has made people think the only way to get a new game is to pre order it. Every time a new game comes out my friends always say "I wish I pre ordered it, now I have to wait to get it." Yet they always have it at best buy.

#9 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

if I pre order it's to get some little extra bonus thing.

#10 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

You get cool stuff and no lines

#11 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

I preorder on Amazon.co.uk.

Means i usually get the game delivered to my door on release day or sometimes on the next day.

#12 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Well, I know for more obscure titles that you may want (like some JRPGs in my case) there may be only a copy or two at your local best buy or gamestop. Particularly with the latter, they don't get huge numbers of say, the latest shin megami tensei game, so if you're all about getting it when it comes out, then pre-orders help.

Also, if you're the type to trade in a lot of games to clear the shelves, you can get some major credit bonuses by trading in for pre-orders.
#13 Posted by MissileWarriorz (264 posts) -

sometimes it comes with bonus stuff

#14 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

well because what if the game sold out before release, how would you get a  copy then?

#15 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I work at Gamestop, so I just wanted to clear things up. Employees are pretty much required to get pre-orders, at least they are given quotas whenever they work. If they don't keep pre-orders coming in, then their manager gets called out on it. GS uses reserves as a marketing plan, when customers reserve their game at GS they have to go back to pick up the game and you can see where corporate sales would get a boost. But it's not entirely useless, customers get pre-order bonuses and are guaranteed a copy for at least 48 hours. Not only that, but it goes toward the final price so you really can't go wrong.

#16 Posted by wafflestomp (247 posts) -

I got my 360 and wii on launch day by preordering.. so it is fine by me.

#17 Posted by mgsninja (26 posts) -

The biggest reason would have to be the collectors/limited edition.

#18 Posted by efrucht (639 posts) -

That's why amazon rocks. You can pre-order a game, get free shipping, and have it arrive to you as the game is coming out in stores, It's perfect.

#19 Posted by megamerican (1 posts) -

I think hounding people for protection plans or pre orders is major BS. Especially after you say no and they still are trying to push it.

#20 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -

Maybe their approach and reasoning behind the pre-order is incorrect.

Back in the day for PS2 and Xbox games you needed to pre-order but nowadays there are always games available for nextgen consoles. GTA wasn't a sell out, neither was MGS4, Halo 3, and Smash Brothers (I think).

I'm only naming these few top titles but sport titles get the same business. Stores like GameStop have the tendecny to pressure you into pre-ordering a game when odds are they and many other stores nearby will have more than enough copies the day of the release.

Midnight releases don't count either as my brother was able to get GTA the night it came out right from blockbuster.

Maybe it's a region issue. I live in Philadelphia so there are many nearby stores that sell games.

#21 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -
PhilESkyline said:
"Whenever I go into a game store they always say "Pre-order it now so you can have your copy the day it's released" and I look at them and say "Dude it's not that serious. I'm sure this game will be out everywhere."

GTAIV for example, I'm sure there will be more than enough copies on 4/29/08. I don't think publishing companies have the issue of shortage for games, now consoles are another thing.

Aside from the fact that the you may save $5 bucks on the game if you pre-order it. Why else should this be done?
"
Why so serious? Jk, but really I only pre-order the big name games i.e. GTA IV, Halo 3, COD 4 , Gears of War. Normal games I have no worry about because I can find them somewhere in my town.
#22 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -
mgsninja said:
"The biggest reason would have to be the collectors/limited edition.
"
Agreed. I'm glad I preordered my MGS4 LE when I did, because they didn't have any available for those who didn't preorder when it came out.
#23 Posted by Jotun (555 posts) -

The only reason I ever pre-order games is if there is a special gift you get by doing so. For example: I pre-ordered MGS4 simply to get the DVD and beta code. That's the only rational reason considering I can walk into any retail store when a game comes out and purchase it no questions asked.

#24 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Well not everyone can get the game as easily as you.  Before I preordered games, I would have to search through multiple stores all over the place, and in the end I'd have to wait for another shipment at my EB Games.  Now, I preorder all my games; it doesn't hurt.  It's especially important with the special editions of games.

#25 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -
Met2609 said:
"mgsninja said:
"The biggest reason would have to be the collectors/limited edition.
"
Agreed. I'm glad I preordered my MGS4 LE when I did, because they didn't have any available for those who didn't preorder when it came out.
"
Maybe I just want more for a pre-order like a huge poster the day I pre-order the game, and  have so that once I accept the poster I am unable to cancel my pre-order just use it as credit.
#26 Posted by Callik (138 posts) -

Depends on the game and your location I suppose. GTA4 was the first game I've pre-ordered and that was some time last year before the massive hype (possible?). Good thing I did too as around my area they were sold out of copies for at least a week. Since I've started spending more money in GAME (student discount and double points on pre-orders = 15% discount) there's really no reason for me not to pre-order a game I know I'll pick up at launch so LittleBigPlanet, Spore and Gears 2 will be there for me, sold out or not. If I find it cheaper somewhere else there's no penalty for cancelling it so why not I say.

#27 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

For the chicks?

#28 Posted by SlavetotheMedia (20 posts) -

I've been working at a locally owned video games store for the past few years now.  We're a small company wo we arent able to really afford the bonuses that chains like GameStop can offer customers for pre-orders.

We mainly use preorders as a sort of indicator as to how well a game will sell overall.  If a game has a ton of PO's we're going to overstock the hell out of that title.  If it only has like one or two, odds are we're only going to get maybe another 4 copys of that game per store for the initial launch week.

As far as "Pre Order now or you'll never get it!" It's mostly a bunch of BS.  For the most part, you're going to be able to get that game you really want whether you preorder or not.  However, there are those situations where a preorder is very very helpful.  If there's a new JRPG that Atlus is putting out or some other obscure title and you know you want it, PO it, we hardly ever get 1 or 2 of those per store.  They dont sell nearly as well as even a crappy minigame compilation from some halfassed western developer.

Also, if the game you want comes with a special peripheral (ie. Mario Kart Wii, Rock Band, Guitar Hero On Tour, Wii Fit, etc.)  PO it.  We never get enough of those.  The games we'll get, but the peripherals are hard to come by.  However this doesnt hold true for Mario Kart really.  We cant get th egame in but we're up to our necks in extra wheels.  hmm, never thought about that...

~SlavetotheMedia

#29 Posted by davecuk (158 posts) -

I pre order games for special pre order items like the sniper rifle in Battlefield: Bad Company for example, is sometimes cheaper (get extra points from game as said above) and you are guaranteed the game on or before the day of release.

#30 Posted by Hannibal (862 posts) -

I only preorder games when there's a midnight party thing for it.

#31 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

I don't. Who wants a new game on a tuesday anyway?

Get it friday night at my best buy, they ALWAYS have the said game I need

#32 Posted by FoxHoundADAM (17 posts) -

The ONLY time I pre-order is when there is some sort of prmoation where I get free stuff or a discounted price.  Really it's rarely worth it.

#33 Posted by Rain_Dog (219 posts) -

I used to pre-order, but it became more of a hassle. I remember for Gears of War, I pre-ordered at GameStop and they ended up getting their copies a day later than Best Buy. So on release, it was either go through all the shit of trying to cancel my pre-order and get my money back to buy the game from Best Buy, or just get the game a day late. I ended up canceling at GameStop and going to Best Buy. They gave me a bunch of crap, but it was Gears of War! I wanted that trash as soon as I could.

#34 Posted by MutenMiller (215 posts) -
banksrob said:
"well in the UK for GAME you get double points if you preorder so thats like nearly 8$ or £4 on a £40 game
"
Same here. That along with special incentives for pre-ordering. Although I'd say the biggest reason is that the GAME website posts stuff out early so, more often than not, you get your games a couple of days before the game is out.
#35 Posted by Pat_McCrotch (32 posts) -

The only games I have pre-ordered are Warhammer Online CE, GTA4: Special Edition, and The Orange Box on steam.

#36 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2480 posts) -

if you preorder, you may get a bouns, not to mention they make interest on your pre-order... so by you pre-ordering something, you're giving somebody else free money... now isn't that nice?

some more obscure titles, like no more heroes, may not have as many copies... but may still have a lot of demand... so I always like to pre-order those titles...

anyway, pre-ordering isj ust a good idea in general... it really doesn't cost you anything, you may get a free bouns, you're gaurenteed your game, and they make some interest off of you... so, it's a win-win situation, everybody's happy! :-)

#37 Posted by Orgazmorater (73 posts) -

i dont preorder cuz i live in ri and the stores have tons of wii's, tons of games and ive never been in a line while at gamespot or gamecrazy.

#38 Posted by idk_my_bff_jill (10 posts) -

It's mostly to guarantee a copy of the game for yourself.. But I never PO games because it's not like their the only store that sells the game, and there are going to be copies everywhere.. But I think stores do it because if you do PO from them then you basically HAVE to buy the game  from them unless you return the PO.

#39 Posted by RedNinja (20 posts) -

The only time I pre-order is because of a promotion when I get a better price or some extra stuff. Also when the item is limited. Recently I pre-ordered the God of War PSP bundle at Circuit City and I got it delivered two or three days after it came out.

#40 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
banksrob said:
"well in the UK for GAME you get double points if you preorder so thats like nearly 8$ or £4 on a £40 game"
Yep.  I pre-order online for that reason and to get mine delivered a day (or more) before it's release date.  Also, once I pre-order the game online, I can forget about it instead of having to worry about saving money for it (yes, I spend my money when i get it.  it's hard for me to save up).
#41 Posted by Schadenfreude (206 posts) -

I live in the middle of no where so I use to pre-order online. That way I wouldn't have to rely on Walmart or K-mart (the closest major retail stores within 25 miles), which I've had bad experience with in the past.

At the college I go to there is a Gamestop less then 10 miles away from campus which I know I can get games at release. I went to their midnight launch of SSBB and it was packed. Even if they had plenty of copies, I'll probably still pre-order games there in the future.

#42 Posted by aemaeth (220 posts) -

So you can sound cooler than other gamers.

#43 Posted by Kevin (369 posts) -

No real reason, but sometimes pre-ordering  games with huge launches makes me sleep better at night. Also comes with cool little gifts...... that aren't so cool.

#44 Posted by spragels (97 posts) -

Obviously the only reason pre ordering exists is to make customers purchase from you. I can't think of the last game I couldn't find anywhere on its release day.

#45 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Some people just like to put the money down and not have to worry about it, others do it in fear that the game wont be available at launch (which is rare), and some do it to get extra content, like a demo disc or something.

#46 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

It's rare occasions that a game would sell out... but it's not like you're losing anything for pre ordering... you just put down at least 5 dollars and you don't have to pay those 5 dollars later.

#47 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

These stores that asked you this want your money, obviously. Especially GameStop, they'll tell you anything so you can preorder a game there.

#48 Posted by Shadz (198 posts) -

Well, when I pre-order games the way I see it is.. I have the money now, and I'm probably going to buy it anyway, so what the hell.  Plus it might save me a few bucks in the long run.

#49 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -

So we don't have to beat off the rabid, foaming at the mouth, fans with a lightsaber to get a copy of Gears fo War 2.

#50 Posted by Darth_Tater (72 posts) -

I buy Atlus games.  Thus the only way I'll ever get a copy is to pre-order.I know a lot of the popular games are around everywhere, but Atlus fans have a saying.

"If you don't buy it in two months, you'll pay double"

And it's true through and through.