• 57 results
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

We had Halo:CE on the Xbox (which had no online.) 
The there was Halo 2, for the Xbox. 
And now there's Halo 3, the first Halo on next gen consoles and people are saying that Halo is a milked franchise. Sure, there's ODST, but that's just an expensive expantion pack. 

People are treating this game like it's Halo 47. 

This may be old news, but I just got a 360 a few months ag. It's new to me.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

The Call Of Duty series is the most milked franchise out there (although one could argue that Guitar Hero is). Halo is not even close to milked.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@natetodamax said:
"The Call Of Duty series is the most milked franchise out there (although one could argue that Guitar Hero is). Halo is not even close to milked. "

I wanted to mention Call of Duty, but CowMuffins or some other troll would bounce back and say "Ur dumb Halo r just gey. CoD ownz!!1!"
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dalai

You forgot Halo Wars. 

Halo isn't nearly as milky as Mario or Final Fantasy, but if people think Zelda is milked, then it would apply to Halo, too. Personally, I don't see a problem yet.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

There's still a ton to see.  I think because the Halo games all had a pretty similar basic feel and have always been a popular target on forums and the like (despite their actual popularity).  Halo: Reach looks like it's mixing things up and there really is a ton they could do with Halo games.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RaikohBlade

Halo Wars came out as well. However, that is not sufficient grounds to claim that Halo is being milked. Some people simply hate on the Halo franchise and recycle the same garbage as supposed reasons for hating it. As if MW2 is anything special. That is just as much of an expansion pack as ODST is.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

It was supposed to be a trilogy of three games, but now it's 5-6 games (can't remember the exact number) along with several books. Nobody has spoken of actually ending the series or leaving the plot alone.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@Dalai said:
"You forgot Halo Wars.  Halo isn't nearly as milky as Mario or Final Fantasy, but if people think Zelda is milked, then it would apply to Halo, too. Personally, I don't see a problem yet. "

I completely forgot about Halo Wars becuase it wasn't a real Halo game. It wasn't even Bungie made.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@Video_Game_King said:
"It was supposed to be a trilogy of three games, but now it's 5-6 games (can't remember the exact number) along with several books. Nobody has spoken of actually ending the series or leaving the plot alone. "

3 games, 1 expansion pack, 1 not-real Halo game (if that makes sense.) and one to be realeased, which will be a prequel to the series. 

I wouldn't say 5-6 games.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CoverlessTech
@natetodamax said:
" The Call Of Duty series is the most milked franchise out there (although one could argue that Guitar Hero is). Halo is not even close to milked. "
Mario says hi. Don't even ask for the games he is in.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

Halfway through Halo 2 I had enough of Halo gameplay. Must have been my lack of Xbox Live back then, that I didn't get into Halo multiplayer. My bad.

But I'm definitly done with singleplayer Halo gameplay. Didn't even bring up the will to play Halo 3 on anything but the easiest mode. Earned me 5 achievement points with my playthrough. More or less ran through the game meleeing everthing dead without being in any danger or having shown any use of skill.  I'm kinda ashamed, but Halo just doesn't do it for me. Clearly a bargain bin franchise for me. Couldn't care less about Halo.

They really have to impress me with Reach, technically and gameplay-wise, to regain my interest. The first Halo was mindblowing back in the day.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By chstupid

Because their stupid :)
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By C2C

While not as bad as Square-Enix in terms of milking a brand, Microsoft just has a habit of making sure EVERYONE knows about every single Halo release that comes out.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Capum15

Even if it ends up being milked, I'll still enjoy the hell out of any future Halo games (never played Halo Wars...don't like RTS games on consoles, would've totally got it on PC).

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
"It was supposed to be a trilogy of three games, but now it's 5-6 games (can't remember the exact number) along with several books. Nobody has spoken of actually ending the series or leaving the plot alone. "
3 games, 1 expansion pack, 1 not-real Halo game (if that makes sense.) and one to be realeased, which will be a prequel to the series.  I wouldn't say 5-6 games. "
3 Halos, Halo Wars, ODST, and Reach. That's 6. Again, it was supposed to be a trilogy.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ADTR_ZERO said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
3 games, 1 expansion pack, 1 not-real Halo game (if that makes sense.) and one to be realeased, which will be a prequel to the series.  I wouldn't say 5-6 games. "
3 Halos, Halo Wars, ODST, and Reach. That's 6. Again, it was supposed to be a trilogy. "
Not to mention that Microsoft has formed 343 Industries as a development house whose sole purpose is the further development of the Halo franchise.  There will be more games set in the Halo universe after Reach is finished and Bungie finally says adios.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

There have been FIVE "full" call of duty games (2,3,4,WaW,MW2) on this current generation of consoles, all of which were FPS, and three of which run on the same engine with the exact same controls.  There has been ONE "full" Halo, it's expansion, and a RTS offshoot.  

HALO C.E. got FPS right on a console (a huge part of this was the controller), HALO 2 was all about multiplayer, and HALO 3 was about the refinement and expansion of what HALO 2 was (let me remind you that each of these games were THREE FUCKING YEARS APART.  People that say they are all the same game are completely arrogant. And what do you expect?  Every HALO game to be so different that they don't resemble each other in any way?  That kind of defeats the point of a "trilogy".  Each iteration brought more than enough innovation to warrant a new game.  
Go back and play 2 and see how glitchy and broken it feels when compared to 3.  Not to mention Forge, Theater, and Bungie.net.  It's like saying HL2 is a rehash of HL.    

Also, Marty.  Because of him, HALO wins.

EDIT:    "it was supposed to be a trilogy".  Are you telling me Kojima planned on making 10 fucking Metal Gear games back in the day?  Oh, and no...It wasn't supposed to be a trilogy, it just worked out that way.  HALO's success led to HALO 2, in which they ran out of time and had to make HALO 3 to "finish the fight".  That's why HALO 2's ending was such a let down. 

Ladies love the Chief too.
 Ladies love the Chief too.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" We had Halo:CE on the Xbox (which had no online.) The there was Halo 2, for the Xbox. And now there's Halo 3, the first Halo on next gen consoles and people are saying that Halo is a milked franchise. Sure, there's ODST, but that's just an expensive expantion pack.   People are treating this game like it's Halo 47.    This may be old news, but I just got a 360 a few months ag. It's new to me. "
I think when people are saying "milked" they are talking about the game play style. Even though series like Mario have more games, nearly all of the games are radically different from one another. Halo on the other hand has stagnated in it's game play style; it's basically the same game that came out in 2001 (2002?).
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By meteora

The Halo series is a potentially big milking franchise.

Its supposed to end at the trilogy, but there's more games out there coming out (Halo: ODST, Halo Wars and Halo: Reach).

Then again, its really just that the term "milking" has been thrown around a lot. We tend to use it whenever we feel that the game is being made only because its a cashcow. One could say that there needs to be a sequel because the franchise/series is a cashcow. Halo is that sort of example. And then we have the ones which have been milked to death because they're really huge cashcows or have been around for a long time, sometimes too long.

As long as the periods between each game is 2-3 years time frame then I'm alright with milking; none of this Guitar Hero or Call of Duty annual bullshit...

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people are idiots who need some sort of argument to start bullshit on forums
Halo is not milked, it is a trilogy, an expansion, an offshoot RTS and soon a prequel

samm5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By samm5506

I don't think the Halo franchise is necessarily milked, but I just hate the fact that they stopped supporting the PC community. They realized that they were attracting many players on the console, but all they're faithful players were left to die playing Halo PC and/or Halo Custom Edition. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

What people seem to be misunderstanding is that when bungie said they wanted it to be a trilogy, they were referring to the story involving master chief, cortana, etc.  (Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3)   The other two halo games take place in the halo universe, but they are not considered to be part of that trilogy. 

And no i don't think the halo franchise is milked...(YET)   Lets just hope that Microsoft doesn't go crazy with it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By oldschool

The milking of Halo is at a very low level and at risk of going too far, but probably won't.  Halo Wars was the first milk (it really had nothing to do with Halo, it was an RTS with Halo's name to sell more - not a bad game mind, it is the only Halo I liked) and ODST, an expansion pack that was a rip-off retail game, was a milk.  A milk is only bad when the games get really bad though.  MySims became milked with Party and Kart Racer, because they were bad and clearly just a cash grab.  That is more a milk in my view.  Mario isn't because they are normally very high quality games, despite their numbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff1240337f3e
deactivated-5ff1240337f3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Halo and I don't like Call of Duty.  So anything I say can be taken with a little bias, but I generally don't say "OMG COD SUCKS LOL" or anything like that

The Halo franchise is starting to branch out, because of the immense popularity it gained over the years.  This is the exact same reason that Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, Mario games, etc. have all been releasing more and more titles.
People see "HALO " on the box or "CALL OF DUTY" on a commercial and their interest is immediately piqued.  I personally think Halo is doing a better job, because they are not (yet) just putting out a new game every christmas season with a new story and multiplayer component.  It has been 3 games over about 7 years, then a new take on the franchise with ODST and WARS,  and it looks like they are going more dark and mature with Halo Reach, which I personally am excited for.  With Call of duty it was the same way, CoD 1 was released in 2003, Cod 2 in 2005, CoD 3 in 2006, and so on and so forth.  This is not mentioning the multiplatform releases on DS, PSP, Playstation 2 and 3, PC, etc. 

So in terms of complete releases, Call of Duty has way more, but Microsoft held on to Halo very tightly, so you could speculate that if bungie and halo were not tied to MS, that things could have gone differently.

EDIT: to the people that keep referring to ODST as an "expansion pack" Bungie commented on that in saying how stupid they were to even say the words EXPANSION PACK ever while they were marketing the game.  They also said that the changes they made to the engine made it impossible to actually function as a true expansion pack, if they had wanted to. In my opinion the game easily had enough content and new addons to be a full retail price, with the second disc that included $30 worth of Map Packs, and I think that people unfairly call it a glorified expansion pack.

khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By khadaj32

While I greatly dislike Microsoft and in turn, the Xbox 360, you can hardly call Halo milked. It`s successful, it has the potential to branch into different genres, so it has flexibility. It has what, 6 games in total? Hardly enough to call a franchise milked. Final Fantasy is milked, but it's extremely tasty milk from the udders of a golden cow.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CounterShock

Actually I would say that Megaman or Street Fighter are milked franchises. It doesn't make them bad there is just a lot of sequels and revisions. People complain about Halo because there is ton of extra stuff. Like the Anime thing, Comics, all of the novels, Halo Waypoint, etc. So it feels oversaturated without there being that many sequels.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
HALO C.E. brought fps to consoles
Ummm.....*stammers and stutters about Rare on the N64*
khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By khadaj32
@Video_Game_King: 

Ack...*hides Goldeneye and Perfect Dark* Lies!
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Video_Game_King said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
Ummm.....*stammers and stutters about Rare on the N64* "
You know what I meant.  Will "got fps right" make you happy?
khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By khadaj32
@MAN_FLANNEL: 

Whoa now, that's just blasphemy. Perfect Dark got 'em right, Halo just made it prettier.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ff1240337f3e
deactivated-5ff1240337f3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would worked at retail be acceptable?

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khadaj32 said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL:   Whoa now, that's just blasphemy. Perfect Dark got 'em right, Halo just made it prettier. "
I love Perfect Dark especially but you are not close to right.  Those games didn't even have decent y axis controls.  They were fun because they were well designed but it was Halo 1 that really brought the FPS to consoles.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@khadaj32 said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL:   Whoa now, that's just blasphemy. Perfect Dark got 'em right, Halo just made it prettier. "

Besides the Wii, I can't think of any current FPS where the gun and crosshair moves independently of the screen, nor can I think of one that used one analog stick.  That's also why console controls barley changed from the last generation.
khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By khadaj32
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" @khadaj32 said:
I love Perfect Dark especially but you are not close to right.  Those games didn't even have decent y axis controls.  They were fun because they were well designed but it was Halo 1 that really brought the FPS to consoles. "
I dunno. I mean, the N64 really got the ball rolling. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were massive in sales, and got a lot of people into the FPS genre, that really introduced them to a new form of console gaming. Then you had the Turoks, which were pretty good too. Halo is certainly the modern leader for the genre (although COD is up there) but I'd have to say it was the classics on the N64 that kickstarted the genre for consoles.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I see it slowly becoming a problem, same with the COD series. I just hope both don't become as bad as Guitar Hero.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@TimAllen624 said:
" I see it slowly becoming a problem, same with the COD series. I just hope both don't become as bad as Guitar Hero. "
You should say something I don't agree with. 
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khadaj32 said:

" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @khadaj32 said:

I love Perfect Dark especially but you are not close to right.  Those games didn't even have decent y axis controls.  They were fun because they were well designed but it was Halo 1 that really brought the FPS to consoles. "
I dunno. I mean, the N64 really got the ball rolling. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were massive in sales, and got a lot of people into the FPS genre, that really introduced them to a new form of console gaming. Then you had the Turoks, which were pretty good too. Halo is certainly the modern leader for the genre (although COD is up there) but I'd have to say it was the classics on the N64 that kickstarted the genre for consoles. "
I know what you're saying but to me the FPS on consoles took off when it got to the point where the abilities of a FPS on consoles became comparable to what you could do on the PC and/or I would actually choose to play a shooter on my console over my PC.  While Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Turok, were good games, if they had been released on the PC with decent y axis controls at the same time I would have played them there.  Part of that is obviously controller related, the N64 controller had no way to do y-axis well, but Halo did controls extremely well and also had a whole bunch of other awesome parts (the shield system, two guns at a time, co-op, vehicles, quick grenade throws) that were very influential.

I think its a pretty good argument but I'd go with Halo.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidSwords
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheGremp

Hey look, another one of these threads.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
Ummm.....*stammers and stutters about Rare on the N64* "
You know what I meant.  Will "got fps right" make you happy? "
Still Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
LoZonedOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LoZonedOut

its getting there,  this seems to be the only thing MS has to show really.  other than their big multiplate announcements, lmao.
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ThomasP

I don't think it's milked at all. As long as they release quality games and the fans are happy then I think it's fine. Sonic and Mario are milked franchises, but most of the games with Mario are fun, enjoyable experiences. Sonic... not so much.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By End_Boss

I think people consider the Halo series to be "milked" because the main story arc concluded a while ago (and spanned three games just by itself), but new games keep coming out, and there's more down the pike. Personally, I'm interested to see what's done with Reach, but not much beyond that.

Then again, that's what I said before I saw Reach.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ThomasP said:
" I don't think it's milked at all. As long as they release quality games and the fans are happy then I think it's fine. Sonic and Mario are milked franchises, but most of the games with Mario are fun, enjoyable experiences. Sonic... not so much. "
Sonic isn't so much milked as it has been beaten to death and raped repeatedly.

Still, we seem to have a topic about Halo like this every day and the bottom line is, if you think Halo has been milked you're either very ignorant or a fanboy.  Although I do think they should have held off on Reach until the next Xbox console, or at least another year or two.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't feel like Halo is milked. They did their trilogy, they've come out with one smaller game and there's going to be two spin-offs. Given Bungie's obvious incredible passion for the series they have created and there no doubt being a lot of pressure from Microsoft to keep the franchise going, I think Bungie are being very sensible about stopping things at Halo: Reach.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By guiseppe

Probably because it's been more or less the same since the first one. So it doesn't seem like they are changing it.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mmmslash
@ADTR_ZERO:
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@guiseppe said:
" Probably because it's been more or less the same since the first one. So it doesn't seem like they are changing it. "
The same could be said about pretty much any sequel..

Besides that, ODST changed pretty drastically.  It reverted the gameplay to the much slower paced, tactical feel that Combat Evolved had, as well as putting an emphasis on the actual character emotion aspect of storytelling, and making it into a more open world affair where you were free to roam the city and explore at your leisure, all of which are things Reach seems to be building on.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By guiseppe
@WinterSnowblind: I'm sure it could but Halo stands out because it is such a huge franchise. So you get more people saying this and that about it. I can't say anything about ODST because I haven't played it, but 1-3 feels exactly the same to me. Then again I've never liked it, so I can't say that I'm paying attention to details.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai

Saying that the Halo franchised is being milked is as crazy like saying the CoD franchise is being milked...wait a minute?!