#1 Edited by Earth001 (14 posts) -

So I am an avid gamer and I love gaming as well as movies or other media. But one thing that always bothered me was that there were still people out there that hated video games. When I started my college I thought gaming was a mainstream thing like movies. But apparently some people still hate them. There are a lot of older people at my college that look down on games and view them as bad. There are even a lot of people online who hate them to. Asking around I get responces like:

1. It's a waste of time

2. It's addictive

3. They're violent

4. They are not productive

5. Could be doing better things with your time etc.

All these points really bother me because none of these insults are directed at movies. If I were to tell people I was a film student I would get respect for what I do. If I tell people I am a game designer or a game tester I get people saying "get a life" and what not. So why do people still hate video games in this day and age.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

1. People hate fat people

2. Video games make you fat

3. Gamers are fat

4. FAT

5. FAT!

#3 Edited by Strife777 (1431 posts) -

@kidavenger: YOU'RE FAT!

I don't know, it's just a stigma that people still latch on to for some reason. It's pretty irrational. It's still MUCH better than it used to be.

Also fuck these people.

#4 Edited by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Video games are terrible.

#5 Posted by MrGetBonus (781 posts) -

I'm an avid gamer too and I still kinda hate them.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34603 posts) -
#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

Too much sexism.

#8 Posted by Zevvion (1124 posts) -

Well... I have been a gamer for 20 years, but they can be unproductive. Games like World of Warcraft can (read can) take over more time of your life than is good for you. When that happens it can be a problem. But the same can be said for any other medium. The thing is though, some games try to reel you into a loop of constant play, which is where they differ from movies and even things like series, because there are only so many episodes per week/month that you can watch.

People who hate games probably view them as a 'doing it all the time'-activity instead of the more reasonable 'it's a hobby of mine'.

Then there is the violence thing, which I can't comment anything insightful on since I don't understand the issue. That's partly because most of that chatter seems to be coming from the US; the place where they think it's no problem to own guns or have a adolescent watch a guy's head explode from a point blank shotgun blast to the face, but it is a national tragedy when a kid of 12 sees someone naked or - God forbid - saw and understands sexual intercourse.

It's something I just can't understand and seems just silly to me.

#9 Posted by falserelic (4944 posts) -

I'm pretty sure people on this site loves Video Games. That goes to all the fat,skinny, thin and buff gamers.

#10 Edited by believer258 (11043 posts) -

'Cause they're backwards dicks. Imagine that! A new form of expression is hated by people with cocks facing the wrong way!

#11 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

I find that the majority of people don't hate them. There will always be people that don't like different aspects of culture, if they don't like it don't talk to them about it and find someone who is interested in games. I've found over the years that people that don't play games might still have played one or two games a lot in the past, and people that have never played games are still open to hearing you pine about virtues of games. It's just a waste of time talking about games to people that don't like games. It doesn't matter why, they are welcome to their opinions, just try to find some common ground on another topic or stop talking to them. Not everyone has to like the same things you do.

#12 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (928 posts) -

because it killed their mothers.

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -
#14 Posted by bigjeffrey (4160 posts) -

They are still stuck in the 60's

#15 Posted by Earth001 (14 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: lol, this was actually a trope on the TV tropes website that discussed that about video games.

#16 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1773 posts) -

cuz video games are for nerds

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (34603 posts) -

'Cause they're backwards dicks. Imagine that! A new form of expression is hated by people with cocks facing the wrong way!

Hey! We do not refer to women like that in this day and age, sir!

#18 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (560 posts) -

Because it's easy to hate something inconsequential since it requires no justification.

#19 Edited by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

Videogames. I like those!

#20 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

Because they are toys being played by grown men.

#21 Edited by Earth001 (14 posts) -
#22 Edited by spraynardtatum (2125 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

Too much sexism.

I've seen that around. Why do I feel like everyone just plays that game and masterbates? I'd look it up but I can't find the name of the game in the advertisement and I don't want to be put on some list.

#23 Posted by Strife777 (1431 posts) -
#24 Posted by spraynardtatum (2125 posts) -
#25 Posted by Dalai (6878 posts) -

Most forms of media have a stigma attached to them. It's not new and isn't exclusive to video games. Remember back in the day when watching TV was bad for you?

Well... maybe they were right on that one to a degree.

#26 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2143 posts) -

Videogames. I like those!

Beat me to it!

#27 Posted by wjb (1551 posts) -

"Ugh, games? Now if you'll excuse me, I need to watch reality TV garbage, read tabloids, and buy 40 pairs of the same shoe LIKE A NORMAL PERSON."

#28 Posted by pyromagnestir (3950 posts) -

Because there's people out there who will hate anything. Just like there's people out there who will love anything. There is nothing that exists which people all can agree on. Least not that I know of.

Because they are toys being played by grown men.

Oh I hate that answer... Grrr...

#29 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4443 posts) -

Because of a long associated mentality perpetuated by pop culture and the media for the last 25 years or so. It'll take time, but eventually the societal consensus will come to appreciate and accept games as a normal piece of media and art to consume. It's a young medium still, that stuff takes time.

Someday, we'll be the elders that influence society. Adults and young people will have grown up loving and playing games and think nothing of them as anything else than a fun, valuable and revered medium. Games will also to continue evolving, getting better and more refined with increasing iterations, until a lot of the more egregious aspects of the industry are less prominent. Though we still have a ways to go, I think we're already starting to see the early stages of this.

I'd actually consider games MUCH more worth people's time than some of the shit people watch, buy and partake in these days.

#30 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1281 posts) -

Some people hate happiness and the joy of others.

#31 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

Some people hate pants

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (9375 posts) -

lol

#33 Posted by MrNinjaSquirrel (14 posts) -

I just want to throw back those points at the people making them and apply them to things they love, like donuts.

...yes I did just say donuts were violent, where have you been living?