Why do the games press dislike the general public attending e3?

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kaido

Ok, so now that e3 2009 is going to be less jew-like (;D) with invitations (Yes, we're still not invited...unless you're a Game Stop employee) and that Booth Babes are supposedly being resurrected, why is it the press are pissed that this might become open to the public again?

I know I can't speak from their perspective, or understand the turmoil of having a collective of sweaty teens under the same roof, but I don't think they understand the thrill of the event back in its former glory for a neophyte like myself; I would have killed to have attended 'Back in the day'. I understand the almost Zen-like professionalism you gentlemen must uphold at Press Events, but you've got admit some aspects of the show were just downright cool.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MKHavoc

I guess that having all those people there make their jobs a lot harder.  I'd rather have it not be open to the public and get all the latest announcements as fast as possible.  I really wouldn't care if I had the chance to go for myself.  Yeah, you get to see and play the games first, but I just think it would be a lot of waiting in line for just a few minutes of play time.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper
Kaido said:
"

but I don't think they understand the thrill of the event back in its former glory for a neophyte like myself

They don't need to understand how much of a thrill it is for the public to get in, because they're not the public so whatever makes the games easier to play and write their coverage the better. But I think public days are good to have at big events but then you'll find companies jumping ship after the business days and getting the hell out so they don't have to run into the problems the public brings: stolen/broken equipment; heavier security and having to have newer builds so they don't need a bunch of guys there having to reset the game whenever it crashes.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

*More frugal. Frugal means cautiously spending. To put it in laymen's terms, being a "Jew." I kid, I kid. I'm Jewish. As to the topic at hand, apparently the public make it a real bitch for coverage. That's about it, as far as I know of.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pibo47
BiggerBomb said:
"*More frugal. Frugal means cautiously spending. To put it in laymen's terms, being a "Jew." I kid, I kid. I'm Jewish. As to the topic at hand, apparently the public make it a real bitch for coverage. That's about it, as far as I know of."
I almost stopped reading at the jew part.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper
Pibo47 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"*More frugal. Frugal means cautiously spending. To put it in laymen's terms, being a "Jew." I kid, I kid. I'm Jewish. As to the topic at hand, apparently the public make it a real bitch for coverage. That's about it, as far as I know of."
I almost stopped reading at the jew part."

I started reading at the Jew part, I skipped the first 14.
Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cogito

They could do a TGS and make the last day open to the public/ add an extra day after the current last day for it to be open to the public.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Because it makes their job easier.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By lazyturtle

I'd guess there are a lot less people at the show when it's press only. So they can actually check stuff out, talk to people and see what's going on. Once the general public shows up I'll bet the place gets a little...chaotic.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Kaido

There's an article on the announcement over at IGN, plus they’ve got the senior editorial team sharing their thoughts on it.

Erik Brudvig kind of summarizes my views on the matter nicely:

'Stop calling people who want to attend "consumers" and let them be recognized for what they are: The lifeblood of the videogame industry. It is possible to limit access to some products to those you trust, and it makes sense for a business to do so, without cutting gamers out of the equation entirely.'

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clean

It's a weird decision. The industry drives on people buying games. Reward them with free tickets and brownies!

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

Because they get in the way.  By showing a member of the press a game, companies are also giving that experience to the thousands upon thousands of people who read that person's work.  When the public sees a game, that reach goes down to the person's friends they'll tell about the game later.  I think it's better when game conventions are press-only.  This past E3 is the first itme I think I actually was able to get all the announcements and information from one site.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Hamz

I can understand why E3 is press / industry / invite only because having the public attend does make it more difficult for people attending E3 to provide coverage of the event and the games associated with it. I mean i imagine waiting in line for hours to get 10 or 20 minutes playtime of a game is an absolute headache, especially when you have a bunch of angsty and excited kids waiting infront and behind you. I suppose it also makes the event more pleasant and relaxed so you aren't rushed as much when you pen together a news article or review of specific segments of the E3 show so the quality and frequency of coverage is of a higher level. Overall i can totally agree and see why the press would wan't to have E3 as closed to the public, it makes their job easier basically.

But then having said that i think its somewhat arrogant of the press to say E3 should be closed to the public. What right do they have to say that? Its the public who are the consumers and the reason there is a games industry to begin with. So why shouldn't we get the chance to go to an event like E3 which has been more successful in the past as a public event?

It would be easier to provide a few days for industry people to have an early scoop of the event and report back, then open the doors to the public and let us in there to have hands on experience with the games. Instead of having the public sit behind their PC's and watch the same trailers and gameplay footage over and over on every gaming site covering the event. Both parties can be happier then and E3 gets a little more money by having all the public and everything associated with it attend.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

The biggest reason that the general public aren't allowed at E3 is because of the amount of negative word-of-mouth that would come out of it.

A ton of the stuff that gets shown off at E3 is alpha or pre-alpha builds that crash often, bug out, and all kinds of crazy crap.  The general public would have it in their minds that they are going to go to the show and they'll end up playing full working copies of demos or some shit like that.  Therefore, when the demo keeps crashing on them or something, then it's going to be horrendous, and the game will have a bad rep over absolutely nothing.

Therefore, E3 is for the press only.  Now, you might say "oh, well, TGS has public days".  That's right, they do...but the Japanese are also a different culture than us...especially when it comes to technology.  They understand these kinds of things, so if a demo crashes 5 times while they try to play it, they aren't going to wig out because of it (unless it's a Lineage game...then they might kill people).

If E3 ever did have public days, it would be a much smaller show for the public than what the press get presented to them.