Why do you play as the opposite gender?

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

@zeik said:

"Accusation" sounds more negative than I intended, but that doesn't make it innacurate. I have no problem with transgender individuals, but I dislike other people claiming something about myself that is untrue based on innacurate assumptions.

I don't (always) ignore gender when I play a male or female character. Their gender can play a role in how I choose to make that character react in a situation if it is relevant, but it is relative to how I decide to percieve that character I'm playing. If I create a female character I've decided is going to be a no-nonsense badass then if some character in the game makes a remark about her gender then I will make her react accordingly. It has nothing to do with percieving myself as that character, it's simply shaping a fictional character in a fictional world.

This kind of thinking is not relegated to video games. Say I've been watching a TV show for a long time and I've gotten to know the characters and I have expectations of how they will and should act. If a character does something that seems out of character without proper justification that bothers me, because I have a fiction in my head of what that character is. A video game simply gives you more control over what that fiction is and (usually) allows you to ensure that character does not do something contradictory to that fiction.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. You can see how that kind of negative language could make me assume things about your respect for others.

See, when I do what you're describing in enacting a character, I think of that as a form of embodiment. I'm taking on being that character. I'm trying to think what they would do and why, and enacting that. Transgender is a definition, so it may not be the best word. Perhaps thinking of it as taking on a different persona, dressing in drag or something, may work better.

In either case, you and I seem to have different conclusions based on similar actions. And games are distinctly different from TV shows. You are defining actions. Some part of you, even if it's not the you you generally are, is in the character you play. Even if it's totally different from you, it's a reaction to you, so there is an aspect of anti-embodiment there. At least as I see it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yo man people experience the entire range of emotions suggested in this essay throughout any one game, both simultaneously and one at a time. Essay makes it out to be way more simple than it is.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@corruptedevil said:

@kierkegaard: I wanted to play the "Paragon" route but the ManShep VA (Mark Meer) sounds really insincere when saying nice things.

Also Jennifer Hale in Bioware games is a goddamn tradition.

Yeah Paragon Shepard can come across as a boy scout, but when he gets angry is when Meer really outshines Hale. Paragon Shepard's dialogue at the end of say, the Overlord DLC is usually the first thing I point to.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

The "I'd rather stare at a chicks ass then a dudes!" statement never made any sense to me. If you are playing a third person game and you are looking at your character instead of focusing on the action; exploring the world, etc., you are playing the game wrong, straight up.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kierkegaard: I just think there are better words than queer, which A) didn't start as a proud statement of who you really are (which is shit, because it means about 20 different things) and B) has other meanings that kind of degrade the community that uses it. I don't think it's queer to act like a lady regardless of your gender.

Actually, no. I don't think there are better words. I think we should state what we are as individuals, and I think the mentality that gay or transgender people are a "we" leads to the mentality that they are a "them" and the truth is I'm just a me. And you're just a you.

I think it potentially masks an issue, and that it avoids honesty in a community that is struggling to live open and honest lives. And I believe that using a term that has been used to put us down is just plain silly. You don't need to throw things back in other people's faces. Just ignore it and declare yourself as what you are. If you need a "uniting" term, transgender isn't going to offend anyone (other than bigots or the insecure who have yet to accept themselves). But Queer is not a universally accepted word in the community, as much as the community at large would have people believe. We are a minority but there are plenty of people in the LGBT community that prefer not to use words like that to describe ourselves when there are plenty good words that aren't associated with nastiness. And queer is just sort of unprofessional. I don't think it contributes to our cause in any way. It just ends up getting misused, or causing certain people to view our demographic in a different light than we all want to be seen.

Might seem silly, but it's just something that has always bothered me about the word and how it's used considering it's history and other meanings and everything. I don't feel comfortable calling someone "strange" or "ill" or to use a word that means to basically mess things up through nefarious behavior.

Anyway, that's my rant on the not very on topic subject.

As for being grumpy, I just think it's damaging to our understanding of humanity to try and pin things like that onto something like gender choice in a game. At best it seems a waste of time that could be spent on more important things, at worst it seems like it could damage the understanding of certain demographics that need all the help they can get on that front.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually I do it because the voice actor for the female 'versions' or characters are more interesting. I'm used to playing characters that happen to be female in a tabletop setting, so I suppose in the sense that I get to have a more director-like role in how the video game plays out, there is some notion of 'domineering' or control interest there, but to call it a fantasy is a bit much.

I think there's also an element of, I realize I have a pretty mainstream taste in games and will usually be playing males, so when I get the choice I choose the female option because it is 'fresher'. Some of my favorite actiony characters are female, too, probably for a similar reason. By and large though, it is a pretty subconscious decision. I'm pretty firm in my identity and I'm not really out to fulfill a control fantasy - at least I don't think I am...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think it's different for everyone. For me it doesn't really matter. If the main character of a game is a guy wooh! If it's a girl Wooh! Also when I play RPGs look of it less as a who do I want to be and more of a who do I want the main character to be. I don't know, maybe I'm weird but it's usually not a factor.

To elaborate I'm playing Divinity right now and I decided the party leader was going to be a paladin/knight themed character and I just felt like she should be female. That's just what that character became in my mind. My Shepard on the other hand just felt like he should be a dude that looks kind of like that one guy from It's always sunny in Philadelphia.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zeik

@kierkegaard: TV shows are different than video games, but not THAT different, at least to me. The way I interact with a video game story is not all that different to how I engage with non-interactive media. Even the most interactive video game stories will often be a pretty passive experience. I don't often engage on a personal level with what is going on. The character I am viewing is the one experiencing everything, not me. I feel like that iherently contradicts the notion that the character is an embodiment of myself.

"Transgender" is definitely a very innacurate word to use here regardless though. A transgendered person is not someone pretending to be someone else or trying to think like someone else. They actively identify as another gender. I don't think there are very many gamers that experience games in a way that parralels that situation, and frankly the fact that the author uses that term seems to indicate a lack of understanding of both gamers and transgender individuals alike.

Calling it "drag" still seems like a crass and rather reductive way to analyze this, but it is a little closer to an accurate concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'am male. I play as a female character when:

• The male protagonist looks stupid (In my opinion)
  • I can't create a male character that I deem "Cool"
  • I can't create myself, or someone that looks very similar to me.
  • I recognize the female characters voice and I have a past connection with it (Jennifer Hale [Shepard] or Laura Bailey [The Boss] for example)

This usually only works with games with character creators where I'm not just picking between separate characters with static skills and abilities. Sometimes I just pick a female character if I don't like the game or i'm not expecting much out of it. ...Which is probably sexist in some way. "This game looks boring! Better play as woman." Comes to mind if I think about it too much. I feel real bad about that now...

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By dr_mantas

I only skimmed the article, it's a bit long and wordy.

So, I like playing as sexy badass girls. I think it's more because that's what I find attractive, and don't see the protagonist in a video game as myself. So I observe and shape the story of this protagonist.

I've never been immersed in a game enough to feel like it's "me" who's the main character. I'm at best an omniscient figure controlling the course of a story.

And if a game has deep customization, I'd rather fuss around something I find attractive rather than a male face.

I guess I played Mass Effect as default male shepard, mostly because that's who the story felt about from all the preview coverage, and didn't want to change it later because I had grown attached to the character. Maybe I missed out.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62  Edited By hunterob

I wrote out something long and somehow it never actually posted. So here's a shorter, more jumbled version: I play as myself (male) in games where you make choices because that's more interesting to me than deciding "what would this character do"? It's very different when I'm playing as a predefined character. Making Samus and Lara Croft jump and shoot gives me more agency than a movie, thus I kind of relate to them and their actions more; but it's absurd to think that by choosing to play games with women as protagonists I'm living through their gender identity. People don't necessarily choose characters for immersion, it depends on where you find fulfillment in your video games. & Sometimes I play as Chun-Li in Street Fighter II because she's the most pleasant for me to look at.

Samantha Allen, who you may know as having recently criticized the new GB hires for not at all reflecting diversity (and who received a toxic response from our community) actually wrote about how playing as a female in Dragon Age and Mass Effect pre-transition helped her visualize herself that way. That article is here. For those that aren't comfortable with their gender identity, this is a more interesting and applicable phenomenon, and this would support this thread's original hypothesis.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#63  Edited By AndrewB

One of the reasons for me is that a lot of RPGs limit character interactions (mostly NPC romances) to a specific gender, so that often informs the identity of my character. I usually get a feel for what characters are going to have those options beforehand and pick someone most interesting to me. As limiting as it is, I also don't think every character should be written as pansexual either. I feel like Mass Effect 3 towed that line with Kaiden, who felt like the bisexual part was forced just to have a gay romance option in the game. If it was always intended to be that way, I just overall don't think the writers did a good job with penning that character.

I also just don't like playing hulking roided-out males. I guess Gears of War was the exception (not like it was a choice :P)

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@andrewb said:

One reasons for me is that a lot of RPGs limit character interactions (mostly NPC romances) to a specific gender, so that often informs the identity of my character.

Unfortunately, this for me too. As I said earlier in this thread, I almost always play as a female when given the choice, but I still like to pursue romantic options with other females which almost all older RPGs don't allow.

I've been playing Neverwinter Nights, and it was a huge bummer when I went "upstairs" in a brothel only to have the polygons that appeared to be ladies working there say something like, "I think you're in the wrong room, that ugly buff dude is waiting for you over there."

Same-sex romance options aren't only appreciated by homosexual players, damnit!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

When creating characters in RPGs I'm doing one of two things: creating a version of myself to role play, or creating a character, separate from myself, that I would want to see within the story (whether that be male or female). So in the end, in any instance that I play as a female character, it's not meant to be an extension of what I feel myself to be, but just a character I'd like to build within this story I'm setting on.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because game developers can rarely be bothered to put female characters into their games, so if they're gonna let me choose to put one into the game I'm going to take them up on the offer.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By Superkenon

Consequently from my pretending to be a writer, my character choices are less about making representations about myself or 'things I want to look at', and more about just creating a fun personality, putting some interesting spin on the story, or fleshing out some character idea. As such, it's almost arbitrary what gender I'll choose.

Though I'll admit, sometimes I'll just pick a girl because it sounds more interesting than Male Hero #356889.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bizzama said:

Well, as disappointing as all the "I play as a lady because I wanna look at HOT POLYGONAL ASS all day" reasons popping up are, I'm not surprised.

I'm surprised to hear you say that because (and albeit that I only skimmed the responses) I seemed to notice more people hating the typical "lady ass" response and only a minority saying that it was actually the reason. Personally, I hate that response as well.

I dunno why I play lady characters, I didn't when I was a kid, I made characters that looked like me (I'm male) I guess that's what I figured I was supposed to do. I first started playing female characters after my second attempt at mass effect one when people were raving about femshep. I loved Jennifer Hale's performance so much that I started making all my custom character's women. I don't have any sort of dissociative gender disorder nor am I trying to create my dream girl or something but I don't think I really know why I choose to. Maybe because male characters are so common, I like to try something different. I really don't immerse myself in games, in that I associate myself with them. I instead narratively want to see what I think would be most interesting for that character to do or say, in the context of their environment. When I played the last of us, I didn't relate to Ellie or Joel (in their actions, identities, or struggles), but given the story, I could understand their motivations and wanted to pursue certain actions that I thought the characters would do and not myself, even if I didn't actually have the agency in that game to make those choices. In any case, I actually hope more women/girls find themselves in the role of lead protagonists/ main antagonists in a variety of genres beyond RPGs although, I understand the market reality that would inhibit it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "I'd rather stare at a chicks ass then a dudes!" statement never made any sense to me. If you are playing a third person game and you are looking at your character instead of focusing on the action; exploring the world, etc., you are playing the game wrong, straight up.

I completely agree, this argument holds absolutely no weight at all.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AndrewB

@sbaitso said:

Because game developers can rarely be bothered to put female characters into their games, so if they're gonna let me choose to put one into the game I'm going to take them up on the offer.

Yeah, that's also one of the many factors for me...

@joshwent said:

@andrewb said:

One reasons for me is that a lot of RPGs limit character interactions (mostly NPC romances) to a specific gender, so that often informs the identity of my character.

Unfortunately, this for me too. As I said earlier in this thread, I almost always play as a female when given the choice, but I still like to pursue romantic options with other females which almost all older RPGs don't allow.

I've been playing Neverwinter Nights, and it was a huge bummer when I went "upstairs" in a brothel only to have the polygons that appeared to be ladies working there say something like, "I think you're in the wrong room, that ugly buff dude is waiting for you over there."

Same-sex romance options aren't only appreciated by homosexual players, damnit!

I could almost forgive older rpgs because back then just including heterosexual relationships, let alone possible dialog-sex options, was controversial enough for the weirdos who write headlines. It's still funny to me that the first Bioware same-sex relationship was an unintentional (or was it?) bug in the code of the game. It's definitely groan-worthy to go back to those older games and see lines of dialog like the one you mentioned from NWN though.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a male myself and I usually pick a female character so I feel less bad about killing female enemies in games. I guess I don't have any sympathy for the male enemies and a woman beating other women is somehow more acceptable in my mind than a man beating up women.

If a game has romantic options, I will play as a male because I find it weird trying to pick a male companion for a female since I don't want to decide which male is the most attractive because my mind thinks I'm choosing a companion for myself, not for the character I'm playing as. I'm weird and I know it.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

No real reason (even though I usually create female characters when the game allows me to) ... If I think about it it's probably mostly because I like female voice actors better than male ones and in most games I don't like male character models (Divinity: Original Sin is a good example for that).

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I almost always tend to create characters that are not the straight, white guy that I'm so used to being. The problem, of course, is that when playing those straight, white guys I'm much more adept at considering their flaws and vulnerabilities. Sometimes it's a struggle to find a motivation/voice for a female character when the game world has no way of contextualizing your character's identity beyond their PROTAGONIST-hood. It can be even more difficult for me to roleplay a heterosexual female or homosexual male character when relationship mechanics are a factor, because my "gaze" (you know the one) relentlessly tends toward women NPCs.

So, I suppose the answer is that I wish I was better able to explore those identities that are foreign to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The gender I pick tends to vary by the game, but I play female characters quite often for various reasons, whether it be feeling like playing as a female character, identifying more with a female character more than the males in the game, or similar reasons.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemo said:

I am a male myself and I usually pick a female character so I feel less bad about killing female enemies in games. I guess I don't have any sympathy for the male enemies and a woman beating other women is somehow more acceptable in my mind than a man beating up women.

Murder is murder dude, it doesn't matter what gender they are when they want to kill you.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@kierkegaard said:

But surely self-directed role playing games where you create a character are different! You are choosing to place yourself not only into the perspective of a person with a different race, gender, sexuality, ability, age, or ethic than you but also into that body, to literally move its limbs. You are choosing what that person says and does. How can that possibly be only empathic? That's not a derisive question! I just don't understand how embodiment does not exist there, inherently.

On one hand you have a game like Mirror's Edge where your gender and the story is decided for you. On the other hand you have a game like Mass Effect, where you can select your gender and write your own story. But that's only true to a point, the same way a choose your own adventure book might end on page 98, 103, or 127. In both cases, I'm not REALLY in charge of my character, and I'm not really choosing what they say and do. I'm just selecting from a variety of predetermined paths.

If a virtual reality AI was powerful enough to allow you to alter that reality through unprecedented actions and speech, then you would likely be much closer to the type of disconnect you're talking about, where many people would possibly feel uncomfortable playing as the opposite sex. As is, playing as a female Shepherd isn't all that different for me from reading Pride and Prejudice. It's just telling a story and using a female protagonist.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm a terrible person, so part of the reason is to gawk. It's also nice that it can add some variety at times. Sometimes it's because I prefer the female voice acting.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've thought about this a lot and have wondered whether it means I'm a pervert or have identity issues or a bit of both. But I think it's simpler than that. I have never tried to make a customisable player character look like me or be an idealised version of me. I play video games for escapism, why would I want to look like me even if it is an idealised version? I can understand why someone would but it's not for me. Playing as a female character is a part of that but not strictly necessary. I enjoy the different perspective you can get. I think I'm also just bored of the standard male protagonist so if I can, I will not choose to play as him.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's a few reasons:

1. I'm already a man, so playing as the opposite gender is inherently more interesting to begin with.

2. Pretty much every game has you playing as a Man. To attempt to balance this out, I (pretty much) always pick the female character option when given the choice.

3. When it comes to creating a character from scratch, men are pretty boring to create because (to me) the options you are given almost always lead to something visually dull/indistinct.

4. Women are more visually appealing to me. And not even on a sexual level (though it's probably an underlining influence. But not the main one)

Right now I'm playing Ni No Kuni, which is Level 5 making Studio Ghibli: the video game, and guess what! SG did some art stuff for the game. One thing that I really wish the game had? The option to choose gender. Oliver is fine, but if I'm going to be playing a SG influenced game I want there to a great female protagonist at the helm. They (studio ghibli) set the bar high for female protagonists featured in media aimed at both children and adults; they've made me appreciate/seek art that does Women justice in a similar way. Which is why I'm disappointed Ni No Kuni has just an Oliver and not, say, an Olivia. Though I understand why they don't give you the choice. The game is pretty fricken huge and has a lot of VO/art to account for (also, it's an amazing game and I'm sad I overlooked it and only paid 5 bucks for it. and drippy is the best character ever).

And I'm not against games with male main characters (that would be silly). I just wish more game had women in that role, or at least gave you the option.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By fattony12000
  1. Should have been a poll.
  2. Because I want to/can.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Because I can.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Icemo

@icemo said:

Murder is murder dude, it doesn't matter what gender they are when they want to kill you.

I know, but I would rather knock the woman unconscious if she tried to kill me while I would shoot a man that tried the same without a question.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neurotic said:

I've thought about this a lot and have wondered whether it means I'm a pervert or have identity issues or a bit of both. But I think it's simpler than that. I have never tried to make a customisable player character look like me or be an idealised version of me. I play video games for escapism, why would I want to look like me even if it is an idealised version? I can understand why someone would but it's not for me. Playing as a female character is a part of that but not strictly necessary. I enjoy the different perspective you can get. I think I'm also just bored of the standard male protagonist so if I can, I will not choose to play as him.

I also agree with this, and it seems worth noting. Even when I do create male characters I never try to make them an avatar of myself. Even if a game had proper face scan technology I don't think I could ever use it. It would weird me out. I don't want to pretend I'm actually in that world. I'm boring.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Corevi

@zeik: Face Scan is best when you scan other people's faces in.

No Caption Provided

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Well sure. If I could scan Vinny into Fallout or something I'd be all over that shit.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, a male, asked myself why I tend to play as female characters awhile ago and the best I could come up with was I've had a lot of strong female role models in my life, and not a lot of male ones. Because of this, I tend to think of the female option as the stronger of the two.

But there's probably tons of other reasons. Maybe I just like looking at a woman. Maybe I just like mixing things up as a lot of other games have only male playable characters. Maybe I like pretending to be something I'm not for awhile.

What I'm more interested in is, if the essay is right and playing an avatar of the opposite gender is a queer experience (I believe that is the gist of it, yeah?) then... so what? I don't see what's to be gained from that insight, though I completely accept there might just be something I'm not seeing.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By bacongames

There's a lot going on here and a lot to unpack and so even though I add my own perspective, I can't help but put on my analytical hat and contribute that way.

First I'll refer to the article which immediately invokes the theoretical orientation of queer theory which I'm aware of and I have some reading in but I'm not that versed in it so I won't go deep in. But nonetheless the usage in academic scholarship and social theory is to effectively cross-interact the theoretical perspective with the topic in question and see what shakes out. Often this means making as best an argument one can with it despite the fact that the initial comparison or usage is arbitrary. We can sit here all day and take even just critical theoretical perspectives (queer theory, race theory, colonialist, feminist, Marxist, etc) and have them interact with games. And believe me, it's been done and will continue to do so if only because all forms of art are being examined similarly. We just don't tend to see it that often because they're buried in critical theory journals.

Anyway, the article effectively brings up the idea of queer relationship or trans-gender enactment by "playing" the opposite gender which I disagree with if only because there's a more fundamental mechanic at play. That of vicariousness and the interaction between player immersion, character, and design. Whether it be the dot in Adventure or Lee in the Walking Dead and everything in between, taking on the role of "player" first and foremost tends to inevitably produce some amount investment in the character being embodied. At the base level, keeping with the dot from Adventure, you can just be "you" or "player character" but with that comes the assumption and interpretation of environment, tasks, agency, meaning, and all the other things that come into play because you're playing a game. Otherwise the illusion wouldn't work and it's "just" a dot of color moving around other abstract boxes of color. Night Driver is another great example of this. You're supposed to be a car driving at night when graphically it's just falling pixels to create the illusion. However that simple tricks works to make the player take on that player role in this referential context (a driver at night and not just lights on a screen).

Now imagine blowing that out with characters that are more realistically rendered, have their own dialogue, voiced performance, and choices. And in this brings up the second half to my point which is the interaction with design. This very discussion actually hinges upon it by which I mean a game has to be designed to give the player the choice of gender or character creation to introduce this dynamic. What of games that only offer their definitive protagonist? And controlling for that, a game can give you choice of character but no control over the look or outcome of their look like a Bethesda RPG or MMO would. For instance, Costume Quest lets you pick which sibling to go with male or female but really there's no changing their look.

Therefore to consider the underlying issue of how players and player characters interact, and therefore how and why players choose which character to be, we have to take into account the different design scenarios which can produce different outcomes. For instance, how might the same player rationalize their experience when confronted with a game that offers no choice of character, choice of character but no customization, full customization but a mechanical gameplay experience (think more MMOs) and full customization but a more heavily story-based experience (Fallout 3, Mass Effect etc.). In other words, how deep does the "might as well hot ass" rationalization go across these outcomes and is that player also looking at story or characters in games different than one who sees that reasoning as irrelevant and/or off putting.

I know for me, I've come to realize that it really does depend on the game. And for full disclosure I too have found and continue to find the "might as well make it a hot lady ass" reason off putting to say the least. Generally speaking when given full customization I tend to make "me" aesthetically and that means a tanned skin bearded dude with black hair. Despite being vaguely Mediterranean/Turkish in appearance any attempts to make myself tend to produce Latino looking male characters. Which I'm actually totally happy with and adds to the experience; it's me but also different and also not an arbitrarily white male character either. Granted, with that comes the inherent bias of not stepping outside your bounds BUT in practice there have been important counter-examples. In Dragon Age II, I played the female character because I thought the actress was better done but with the fact that a number of major party members are female, I actually found quite a lot of value in the vicarious female/female bonds I made. And indeed it was compelling to project who I thought was an attractive male character for my player character to fall for etc. In the end, the choice of female had great value as a written character and as a means to explore that perspective as a male. I'd imagine that this won't be the last time a female character will inherently have added value as a chosen character.

Aside from the "hot ass" reasoning and my own above, there's one last perspective that is worth mentioning and that is the meta-representation reason which I take into account as well. Case-by-case many players would probably go along with their self-image biases but those choices are not done that way in a vacuum; instead they are done in consideration of games over time. At least for some players, there is a real consequence to the relative saturation of male characters in games and more so if one is not male. Therefore while a person may otherwise go with characters that reflect their own appearance and identity, there is a contingent who are going out of their way to pick female characters precisely because women are overall underrepresented as player characters in games. And for certain, individual motivations can be layered and can change over time. For instance, I might eschew the white dude character if it otherwise won't matter but if female character design is actually worse, choice is offered to customize, or there is a outstanding reason to go with a male character over another anyway, I'll do that.

With all that said there's arguably a whole other long post to make deconstructing the nature of viewing the chosen female character as having values exterior to character and player character immersion and as an attractive conception in and of itself. Namely an idea like moe and all manner of projected attractions in fandom of character works which need not extend purely to uncharacterized player avatars in games like WoW.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't project myself into the games, I experience characters more like in a movies and I just sort of follow the action. Fact that games have not reach a point yet where my choices and actions would have an actual impact on the game world just makes it more of a 3rd person experience. I can empathize with the characters but that requires decent writing and there is not whole lot of that in video games. That said half of the time I choose the woman-option and almost all of the time it just because character looks better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really comes down to just plain looks sometimes I just don’t like the male look. In Destiny my Titan will be male, Warlock will be male too but I’ll be going female for my Hunter as I think the cloak looks better on the female design.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#90 FinalDasa  Moderator

This is really interesting.

Generally I play as a near default character or something similar to myself. The idea of actually playing a role in a game was lost on me for years so I just kept making myself. Eventually though I began to experiment and try out new and different characters though this is still usually done after one play through is done. I'll start a new game in a RPG I've been sinking time into and create/play a very different character than before. I do this to try and gain a different experience and perspective from the game.

I had never examined why I would occasionally play as a female character. Maybe I should jump back into Skyrim and examine some of the choices I make.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of male protagonist characters just look boring.

Also, games need to add a robot option.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I've never really identify with video game characters. Not in the sense that I project myself into them. I enjoy writing fiction, whether it's on paper or in a video game. You don't get to write the story yourself in a video game per se, but you do get to fill in the blanks. Example from Mass Effect 3: At one point you may have to choose whether to shoot a friend in the back or not, to get what you want. The practical consequenses of this as shown on the screen later in the game are negligible. But depending on the choice, I see the Shepard in a completely different light afterwards. And that's the feeling I'm after.

The reason I play as a woman alot of the time, is that inserting women into roles that exhibit historically masculine traits, like video games often do, will create a more interesting character and narrative. But for me it has nothing to do with either identifying as this woman, or asserting some kind of control over her. It's all about the story.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously, I'm going to be a little biased here, but I don't feel like there's any deep-seated reason that I usually opt to play as female characters. I just like the idea of really cool, kickass women. Most of my favorite characters are female. For obvious reasons, I'd be a liar if I said aesthetics didn't help tip the scale on occasion, but I mean...I dunno. It's just a personal preference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I don't self identify with any kind of character. Sometimes I just like the female character designs better or if I can make my own character, sometimes the female ones turn out to be better than the male ones. That's all. There's no deeper meaning to it.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until playing as male or female have actual effect on the gameplay experience, I do not see how playing as either gender even matters. Most games just do the whole "oh you can flirt with this guy/girl if you are a set gender.". Not a very compelling reason really imo.

In MMO, I like to look at end game armor sets and see which race/class/gender looks best. That is how I decide.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#96  Edited By Atlas

There are so few games that have badass female protagonists that if I'm given the choice of creating my own character, then I'm often inclined to make her female. But for me, it's never about aesthetics or attractiveness, as while I'll often make an avatar attractive, regardless of gender, that's not why I choose to play as women. I do it because it's fun. Action games, at their core, are so often about power fantasy, and what's more empowering than playing a female character who destroys everything in her path to save a world that so often thinks less of her compared to men?

I'm a total role-player, so I completely embody the character I'm playing, but there's always a huge amount of myself in the characters I play, which is why I tend to play lawful good characters and only occasionally dabble in bad/evil characters. I make decisions based on what feels right to me in a given context and situation, with the consideration of attempting to view it from a more feminine angle i.e. I'm more likely to be a dick to someone if they're patrionising or dismissive of my character due to their gender. Most choices in games that are actually gender-relevant are so infrequent and so binary that it's not hard to place yourself in the situation and make those choices, and I had no problem marrying my female character in Skyrim to a male Orc, or with my female Grey Warden in Dragon Age hooking up with Alistair. I don't see playing as female characters as some great empathic experience, since video game characters are such a hollow simulacra of the human experience; it's just a fun and different way to experience and think about a world you're interacting with.

If somebody wants to equate my role-playing female characters as some kind of gender-queer exploration akin to transvestism, then I'm not threatened or weirded out by that. I'm comfortable with my sexuality and sexual identity, and don't see any of this as a problem.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I guess it has depended a little bit, when I was younger the embodiment was the key. Playing an RPG from a wildly different perspective was generally how I wanted to do it. I was never much for the gruff manly men as a kid. Though they have most definitely grown on me quite heavily.

Nowadays though I have so many issues feeling like "I'm" in a game anymore, it's just all mechanics or a story from the outside looking in. I even tend to forget my characters visual attributes in games like Fallout 3 where it isn't clearly on screen at all times. But the choices I make in that game are entirely based on entertainment and not roleplay anyways. Perhaps it's just habit that I keep making female avatars, maybe I just have enough of a clear picture and experience from creating my older female avatars that they are just a shortcut to get through character creation. I tend to make very samey-looking characters.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Petiew

If I have the choice of character and race creation I always create a female with the smallest possible size, highest pitched voice and then kit them out as the burliest, tankiest class.

My FFXIV Realm Reborn character was a 3 foot, green haired Lalafell Paladin. I just think it's amusing having that character soaking up hits from massive dragons like it was nothing and leading the charge into battle.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Christoffer

If I'm given the choice to create a character it will often be a female. I mostly do it to create a different narration. To have yet another broad-necked quarterback dude running around killing fools isn't that interesting anymore, and I can't really "embody" those characters better than anything else that I control.

Also, if I'm given the choice, I like to make characters that are older, ugly, short, fat or hideous alien monsters etc.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Loafsmooch

@spunkyhepanda said:

I don't fully understand why I usually play as a female, but it's not the butt thing. Shut up about the butt thing.

But.. it is the butt thing, right? Just kidding :)

I usually play as a female in any game with a 3rd person view and I have to admit the butt thing does have something to do with it. Just feels more natural to have something nice to look at when the scenery is too boring. But it's not just the butt thing... Variety plays a big part, I'm bored of looking at muscular generic looking males in games, it just makes me feel worse about my own skinny body. Also, in MMOs I'm sure that some people actually are nicer to you simply because you play as a female and I like niceness, doesn't matter what the reason behind it is.