• 141 results
#101 Posted by LackingSaint (1771 posts) -

I'm not sure what the UK GameStop equivalent is, but I hate going to game shops because they always try to rope me into their gift-card/pre-order bullshit. They're more than welcome to ask me if i'm interested in any new releases or have a points card, but if I say "no, it's okay" please don't go on to try to tempt me with any of this crap (or what happened on the worst occasion, the dude decided to start trying to take down information to make me an account despite me telling him I wasn't interested). In general, I order online.

#102 Posted by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

GameStop used to operate in the UK (perhaps it still does?) there used to be one near where I lived. I thought it was an okay store, they had the best trade-in values. I remember going to GAME with about 10 GameCube games and they offered me £10 for the lot. GameStop offered me around £80 for them. Bit their hand off.

#103 Posted by Wraxend (551 posts) -

@lackingsaint: I would happily label Game as our version of Gamestop, maybe it's just me but I can't stand Game.

#104 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

I mostly can't stand that place because of most of their employees and sales pitches. There's a guy at my local Gamestop that's always incredibly nice, knowledgable and helpful, and never tries to give me the hard sell.

But theres also a bunch dumb fucks that work there.

When I went in last year to pick up a copy of Hitman: Absolution, the asshole at the counter asked me if I preordered it. When I said no, the guy actually shook his head at me and said "you should have preordered, man. You missed out on a lot of good stuff." What a total cock. It's bad enough they have to try and sell you a preorder for every game thats coming out in the next two years, but to fucking scold someone for not preordering? instead of walking out and buying the game somewhere else like I should have, I said "I don't like when game companies put shit like that behind preorder walls."

Best part is, there was no additional content of any real value for that game. The sniper challenge was available for download a couple of month later. I downloaded it, played it once and never messed with it again.

#105 Posted by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

They never have Battletoads when you call them.

Or Far Cry 6.

#106 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (695 posts) -

Because Amazon is better.

#107 Posted by Splodge (1067 posts) -

@efwefwe said:

I get more annoyed with the employees than the actual store. Every store except for one in my city has terrible workers... they emit pride from their pores. They think they know everything and won't leave me alone about stupid pre-orders. I remember over hearing one girl say that the 360 had no internal fan. *facepalm*

Manager of the gamestop in my town the other day told me that steam wont last, and its losing money every year. Seriously. I just nodded my head and backed away slowly.

#108 Posted by TriBeard (124 posts) -

I lost all respect for them when they removed the OnLive codes from Deus Ex games because they had a competing service they didn't want to steal business from, and then turned around and sold them as new games. If I need a game from an actual store because it's not on Steam/not on PC, I will go to Best Buy. Rewards program is better, and I don't think they're as dirty.

#109 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

My biggest problem with EB Games/Gamestop is how ridiculously unfair their trade-in system operates. They'll take a brand new game off your hands for half price and then proceed to sell it just a few bucks cheaper than full price. It's a damn rip-off and you're more than likely better off to just keep the games rather than take nothing for them.

#110 Posted by bluefish (428 posts) -

@branthog said:

I'm shocked that someone could be this naive.

Just a few quick items for why Gamestop sucks:

1+ They open brand new video games. Sometimes they even let employees take them home. Then they sell them as NEW. Even if they have scratches on them. Once it's opened, it is USED.

2+ They bought second-run "classic" and "rare" games from Games Quest Direct who paid for a huge run. Then they OPENED THE GAMES and sold them for very high prices as if they were authentic, used, rare classic games.

3+ They sell used games for as little as $3.00 off ($57.00 used versus $60.00 new) which is ridiculous.

4+ They force their employees to harass customers to sell pre-orders.

5+ They often sell those pre-orders and then when you come in to pick up your pre-order that you reserved with actual cash, the games will be out of stock.

6+ They fore their employees to harass customers to sell their "club card" crap.

7+ They often staff their stores with morons. The last time I was at a Gamestop ages ago, the girl behind the counter actually said the following: "Def Jam Icon is probably my favorite game, ever or at least pretty close to it".

8+ Their quality assurance process for buying and selling used hardware (PS2s, etc) is abysmal.

So I've been working at EB Games for years now and I in NO way love the company but here goes.

1. We open a single copy of a brand new game to put the case on the shelf. If you buy the last new copy that's the one you get. Am I nuts about it? No. But it allows for a relaxed experience where no one checks your bag on the way out, nothing is behind glass and there are no security beepers. They are not played, taken home or sold if there is the slightest bit of damage to them. Whether they are "used" or not is a personal standard thing. Literally the only difference is whether there is shrink wrap on them. You are always free to decline to purchase it but we are small locations and can't physically stock multiple copies of older/obscure releases.

2. I don't know much about that. It seems skeezy but not overly so, they are just buying and selling product... like a normal business. And like I said, they would only open a single copy.

3. Yea, the $3 thing was BS. We had it in Canada for a while, it was dumb, it's back to a $5 minimum now. Keeping in mind that you get another %10 off (another $5 on a recent release) with the membership card (that in Canada until recently you kinda had to try to avoid having one, we practically threw them out the window at people.)

4. Yup. At least mention them. It's up to the staff at that location exactly how well this is handled.

5. We hold pre-orders for a minimum of 48 hours. If you have not picked them up by them we are absolutely able to sell them. It says so right on every the bill. We are not able to hold stock indefinitely. At my store we hold stuff a day or two longer and try to give customers a second call back if it's a collectors edition or something to avoid issues. We will almost always hold items longer than 48h if the customer calls and requests it.

6. Like every other business that has a membership card. Again, it's up to the competency of the staff exactly how it comes off. There can be a lot of value in it.

7. Lots of places are staffed by morons. Bank CEO's are morons. Teachers are morons. Depends on the location.

8. This is kinda true in a lot of cases. Older systems are too expensive to test compared to the resell price so they are more of a gamble. Last gen (PS2, Xbox etc) is now no longer tradeable nor sold so it kind of solves that issue. Current gen hardware is a lot better in terms of reliability. Typically we see about %10 to %25 of refurbished consoles returned with issues. I think at least half are people lying and wanting to return it for another reason. For reference, probably %50 of all headset (Turtle Beach style stuff) defective returns are because people can't set them up or read instructions.

SO YEA, I got no love for EB. But if the store has a good staff it's actually a really good place to shop. You will obviously have mixed experiences across different locations but that's just like anything.

#111 Edited by Karkarov (2981 posts) -

@unclejohnny79 said:

i have never been to a gamestop, but im guessing its basically the same as EB games

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you yet but EB Games IS Gamestop. EB is just an old chain Gamestop bought out a long time ago and they haven't invested in "redoing" your store yet. They also own Software Etc., Babbages, and probably a few others.

Meanwhile you guys can rag on gamestop for their register policies all you want but here is some cold hard reality. They are a sales based business. In sales you either sell something and make money, or you don't. Asking them to not "ask for the sale" is stupid, because no one who wants to make a dollar and is in the sales business does not do that. At least no one who wants to stay in business very long. As for their stupid company policies? I have worked as an independent sales contractor, tech support for a small local ISP, hell I have even worked for a Bank. No job I have ever worked at failed to have stupid policies coming out it's yin yang. Welcome to corporate America and don't be surprised when you watch the news and hear our government is in trouble and the economy is rough, it is because just about everything is run like shit.

#112 Edited by Budwyzer (544 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@unclejohnny79 said:

i have never been to a gamestop, but im guessing its basically the same as EB games

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you yet but EB Games IS Gamestop. EB is just an old chain Gamestop bought out a long time ago and they haven't invested in "redoing" your store yet. They also own Software Etc., Babbages, and probably a few others.

Meanwhile you guys can rag on gamestop for their register policies all you want but here is some cold hard reality. They are a sales based business. In sales you either sell something and make money, or you don't. Asking them to not "ask for the sale" is stupid, because no one who wants to make a dollar and is in the sales business does not do that. At least no one who wants to stay in business very long. As for their stupid company policies? I have worked as an independent sales contractor, tech support for a small local ISP, hell I have even worked for a Bank. No job I have ever worked at failed to have stupid policies coming out it's yin yang. Welcome to corporate America and don't be surprised when you watch the news and hear our government is in trouble and the economy is rough, it is because just about everything is run like shit.

That was 4 years ago. And the post right below that one explained that Gamestop owns EB.

#113 Posted by Karkarov (2981 posts) -

@budwyzer said:

That was 4 years ago. And the post right below that one explained that Gamestop owns EB.

Wasn't the meat of my post, but fair enough!

#114 Edited by spraynardtatum (2605 posts) -

"Hey buddy, you haven't been here in a while and it looks like your powerup rewards is expired blah blah, do you want to subscribe again blah blah blah blah?"

no thank you

"You get game informer for a month and you get discounts on other blahs"

no thank you

"A bunch of games coming out soon, how about preordering the new COD blah blah or Assassins Creed blah or both or you could preorder blah blah and get in game content like blah blah blah"

no thank you

"How about putting $5 down on disc protection? Basically, disc protection allows you to blah blah for a low fee and if blah blah blah ever happens again you can blah with no questions asked"

no thank you

"alright cool, we're ready for the purchase. What's your phone number?"

blah blah

"great, I just pulled you up and it looks like your powerup rewards is expired blah blah blah blah........"

#115 Posted by berniesbc (42 posts) -

I don't often go to Gamestop, but when I do I very rarely find the clerk to be especially pushy. Yes, they always ask if you have a rewards card, but of course they do. Every store that has a similar card asks you for it. Its been years since someone asked more than, "Do you have a rewards card, do you want to preorder anything?" My answer is always "No thanks" and that's the end of it. This might just be something about my demeanor, or the location at which I shop, but the clerks are fine. My big problem with them is that they always want to talk to me about what I'm buying. I don't give a fuck what some nerd working at Gamestop thought of my purchase. I just want to get out of that place.

#116 Edited by InsaneGenis (95 posts) -

Got a pre order for a PS4 controller Saturday. Take receipt for fully paid for controller into store yesterday. Employee takes receipt, looks at it and says "Excellent, I'll be 20 minutes as the customer before you turned in these games and systems". I look down on floor next to him and see a large Tupperware box containing 2 old generation 2 systems and a ton of games.

Me: "Are you serious? It's paid off and no one is here." (The customer who turned it in was looking at games)

Him: "I'm sorry , but yes I'm serious. He was here first."

I'm pissed and go look at games for 15 minutes. When the guy starts checking the disks in the PS3 the jackass calls me over and says "I can ring you up sir while these games load up."

I give the guy my receipt, he scans it on the second register and hands me the controller. A transaction that literally takes 2 fucking seconds.

I have always and will always hate GameStop and the day they go out of business will be a glorious day. If only the stupid masses would realize Target, Meijer, Walmart etc are just as good for buying games than that shitty store. Only reason I got my controller there is because someone gave me my gift.

#117 Edited by InsaneGenis (95 posts) -

@berniesbc: Mine elicits at least 2 "no"s out of me, sometimes 3. After making several transactions there (my wife gets gift cards from her work and has the option for GameStop) over course of 3 weeks, I kept getting asked every transaction if I'd like to preorder GTA5. I had already paid it off. 3rd time and the employee asks me if I had a rewards card, if I wanted a rewards card and a third "no" from me when he asks me if I want a GTA5 preorder. I say "no", transaction completes and when he says "have a good day" I say "One more thing"

Him: "yes?"

Me: can you pull up my preorder of GTA 5 please?

Him: "yes, absolutely (pulls it up), how can I help you?"

Me: "Cancel it and give me my money back. I know it's not your fault you have to ask me all these questions, I'm just tired of it."

Shocked, but not saying a word, he gave me my money back. Said "have a nice day" and I was polite back and left.

#118 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1733 posts) -

@bentignor: a 4 year old thread necro.

*golf clap*

That'd dedication.

#119 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I guess I have been lucky with my local gamestop. The few times I have pre-orded, they have gotten the game for me, and even a few times, let me buy the game 1 day before the release date.
Yes, they tend to ask too many questions, but I guess it has a lot to do with how you ask, and how good you are at saying no fast enough.

If you don't like their trade in deals, go local, use other websites, facebook groups etc, works great for me in my 1 horse town, will probably work wonders in big cities.

#120 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

Game stop has had many shady dealings that i'm sure many can bring up and debate fairly well. I'm also sure you can white knight them or offer counterpoints that are also convincing.

So the side i will simply take is i often have a bad customer service experience than a good one. Not all of them are bad i know but i often leave a few feeling i waited too long because someone is trading in games that don't amount to much money in the end or i feel harassed by over aggressive selling tactics to pre-order something else, sign up for something, or whatever promotion is going on at the time.

I understand most of this is forced on the employees by upper management and i understand it can be standard practice. But when i visit the same game stop more than once and i keep getting the same song and dance it starts to get annoying. Most times i know what i want and i want to be in and out when i go there. But when a simple pre-order takes 20-30 mins added with promotion overload i feel like it's a unneeded hassle.

Added that the ease of online shopping and a simple pre-order is just a click for most online places. Some would also argue the lack of knowledge on games and promotions which can also be annoying. So i just go there if they have an exclusive offer like a steel book or the only place to get the game.

#121 Edited by ProfessorK (816 posts) -

The only beef I ever have with them is when they sell my pre-order. What's the fucking point of pre-ordering if you accidentally sold it. And no, I never wait past their deadline for pick up, if anything I'm usually one of the first people there. But somehow it's happened more than once. Now I just Amazon anything I feel like pre-ordering.

#122 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Depends. Some hate them because they hate the used game industry. Some don't like them because of exclusive preorders and day-one DLC type stuff, and some don't like them because they had a bad experience.

Myself, I almost got into a fight with a clerk about a preorder that the store couldn't find when I wanted to cancel it, but on release day they had it ready and waiting for me. Then they got rid of used PS2 games, they are now dead to me.

#123 Posted by chilimaniac (1 posts) -

I was at gamestop once, and I was buying a version of the Uncharted two game pack for the PS3 I had just gotten and the guy asks me if I want to buy it used, I ask him about the season pass and download stuff ect and he goes. Oh, it's virtually brand new. It was only 2 dollars cheaper. The only difference is the publishers/developers didn't make any money. It's basically stealing imo. I buy my games and systems new for the most part anyway.

#124 Posted by wongyang (1 posts) -

yeah, gamestop really sucks.

about 6 years ago i came into their shop to see how much all my GC disk would cost but guess what, they took all 37 games and gave me $171. I told them i wasn't selling them! but they ignored me and took it anyway. Thats not the worst part, the worst part is that they didn't have enough cash to give me, so i was put on credits... blah blah blah all i knew is that they recored me down as a customer with credits ($171 virtual money) and given me a GS card with the actual receipt for proof. Plus i can use it at any GS stores as long as i had the card they given me. I asked them is there an expiration date? "No, no expiration date" , 6 years later (today 2/26/2014) i went back into the same GS picked out a few games that caught my interest, offered my GS card, and the man tells me there is nothing on the card. I showed them the receipt, still nothing. I haven't shopped at GS for 6 years and this piece of crap happens. well screw that.

Now GS can expect me to go dumpster diving because those asses owed me money, and believe me you'll find a shit load of tossed out good condition games and probably a few posters. that can be sold on ebay or the flee market. Call me trash digger or whatever all i know is that im making money. way more than what GS owed me.

#125 Posted by MB (11971 posts) -

That is a great first post.

#126 Edited by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

@branthog: I agree with some of what you said, but calling the employees morons and giving the example of a girl having Def Jam Icon as her favorite game is a bit off base. Also, that's her opinion. People can like the shittiest games(in your opinion), but that doesn't mean they're wrong.

#127 Edited by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

@lstill01 said:

When we get into real financial statistics, however, it quickly becomes apparent this isn’t accurate. Let’s compare Gamestop to a company like Apple which has huge customer loyalty and is generally thought of as a company that does ‘the right thing,’ and has a target demographic that overlaps with Gamestop. Apple’s operating margins are 21%. Gamestop? 8%. Apple is making over 2.5x the profit as a percentage of sales in comparison with Gamestop.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Gamestop is a middle man. What are their margins on just their used game business because included in those margins are the razor thin margins of selling other people's products. They sell consoles. they sell new games. They sell accessories made by others. Apple sells their own products, they don't share their margins with anyone. Check gamestops operating margins to, well no one else sells just video games. Best Buy maybe? But there are many things that go into why Gamestop is a entity to hate. And many of these are from personal stories and just from a business standpoint. Though hate might be too strong a word for some of these cases, it might be more of a disappointment.

1) Used games sales. Honestly, it just feels like a ripoff, it might not be when you consider they have to resell it and pay employees, but today, when games get discounted before they are even out, Gamestop feels behind the times at taking only $5 off. They prey on the uninformed, kids that don't know better, moms and dads that think its the place to get games.

2) Used games as new. They seriously have a bad habit of doing this. Whatever the reason is, whether they need a box for the shelf or an employee takes it out for a spin, they will try to sell you an open game as new. It is irritating because store policy is you can't return an open game, ie. it is not new.

3) Employees can be jerks. Have you ever been to a home depot and a mom and pop hardware store? The mom and pop store will have really knowledgeable employees, super nice. They know you don't know much and just want to help you. Home Depot, nice folks, but usually not that knowledgable, some are just kids working a register. Gamestop has turned into a place where the employees just have their own bias shine through. Telling people how stupid Kinect is. How PC games are just too much trouble. Incidents where people had red rings on their Xbox 360 and the employee would laugh after hanging up with them.

4) They are kinda bad at what they are supposed to do. Why is it that gamestop will insist I preorder Zelda, get 10 copies in while the best buy in the same mall will have a standee full of them? I get its a space issue, but they just suck when it comes to buying new there anyway. 10 Xbox Ones at launch, best buy had 55. Target had 50. Come on now.

5) Wanna preorder that? I know it is store policy, so thats why you hate the store, not the employees. Seriously, everytime. Preorder something or they will gut you.

6) It could be so much more. Gamestop should try to be more like Starbucks. Have tables for people to hang out, talk about games.

#128 Posted by WMoyer83 (626 posts) -

GameStop is nice because I can trade in crap games for a slight discount. The bad news is apparently South Park the Stick of Truth is a 360 exclusive download only title according to the employee standing adjacent to the South Park Stick of Truth Cardboard stand.

#129 Posted by _Dad (41 posts) -

As a PC gamer, I don't need to go to GS. I like it that way.

#130 Edited by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

@mb said:

Oh my GOD it's incredible.

#131 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I would prefer to have my games served to me like a sushi restaurant. A random selection on a series of cute little boats circling round the establishment, and a check box sheet that I use to make specific selections. No talk. No sales pitch. Fast service. I would prefer not to actually see the employees at all.,

#132 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3743 posts) -

The customer service experience is crap. Forget the business model.

#133 Posted by BBOYS2231 (165 posts) -

I used to work at Gamestop. Met a lot of great people. We never pressed people to pre-order, tried to be knowledgeable and specific to each individual. Then corporate started focusing on "numbers" (preorders/ memberships etc...). Long story short, we ALL left haha.

#134 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

I think they're extremely sleazy and profit most off of the ignorance of parents. Also, they used to sell unwrapped display games as "new" and it really got me mad at them.

The only time I'll go to them is if there's a specific retailer exclusive thing I want or to pick up the 5-10 dollar range used games that are more expensive to order online. That's it. I actually have a local game store that is much better than GameStop so I won't go there at all anymore.

#135 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@lstill01: most gamers are not sheltered children and know that going to pawn shops run by minimum wage McDonalds level employees is a terrible idea. That and we all have debit/credit cards and know about Amazon preorders.

#136 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -

I think the big thing for me is that when i go there, i know they're taking advantage of people. Be they ignorant parents, a person trading in a game, or someone who just came in to get a new release, i feel like they're always trying to sell you on something you didn't intend to buy. Not that it surprises me but the reason i hate them is also the same reason i hate purchasing items from big box retailers like best buy. They're trying to sell people on a service that not everyone needs but they're tricking you into thinking you're getting a deal. I.E. magazine subscriptions, increased trade in values, or store warranties/'protection plans"

#137 Posted by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

@mb said:

Oh my GOD it's incredible.

I think I read it 3 times and I'm still not sure what's happening.

#138 Edited by Pr1mus (3808 posts) -

I'm not a big fan of buying something "new" only to see the clerk put the disc in the already opened box.

#139 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I love Gamestop.

#140 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

I have been going to Gamestop for alot of years and have never had a bad experience. I don't go as much anymore cause I usually buy digital releases when I can.

#141 Posted by Spiritof (2020 posts) -

Amazon.com never tries to pull that "up-sell" bullshit with me.

And Gamestop doesn't have drones.