• 63 results
#1 Posted by sofakingcool (360 posts) -

I like the free offer but it seems kinda creepy that they require us to give them our home address. Why is that required beyond the info needed to create a profile?

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I was thinking the same thing. I hope I don't get a bunch of junk mail.

#3 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I dunno, for sending free swag. Or when you enter give-aways that only super-pro-awesome members can take part in and win a price they can send it to you? 
That's what other sites like Gamespot use it for at least. Maybe they wanna send you a pony or a bomb? 

#4 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

I might be interested in a bomb, how big is it?

#5 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

That would be how you get junk mail.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (6711 posts) -

It used to be for Jeff's private collection. Not sure what they use it for now.

#7 Posted by Dalai (7070 posts) -
@ModerateViolence said:
It's giant.
#8 Posted by gla55jAw (2697 posts) -

All I know is, I used that code, realized my profile is linked to an old e-mail address. When I tried to change it to my current e-mail address, found out that said e-mail is banned from GameSpot. I laughed and logged out.

#9 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

Because it's technically a subscription, so they need it to use as a billing address.

#10 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

So they can give you a big friendly hug.

Then steal your cat.

#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (7003 posts) -

Lots of things on the internet ask for your address when you sign up for stuff. It is not that random.

#12 Posted by Milkman (17327 posts) -

The thing that annoyed me about making a GameSpot account was that it forced me to choose at least one newsletter to subscribe to. I could easily turn it off but it just seems kind of shady.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4741 posts) -

I used the address that is still on my account, which happens to be a house I moved from over four years ago. I hope that doesn't matter.

#14 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -
#15 Posted by catbusstop (23 posts) -

It wont accept my address - just says "ONE OR MORE REQUIRED FIELDS WERE NOT FILLED OUT."

I filled in the form fully, but given I'm in the UK, can I just assume the form is racist? Also, does anyone know who I need to contact about this? GS/GB?

#16 Posted by Village_Guy (2664 posts) -

It's because they want to take pictures of you while you're sleeping for their private collection - and maybe for the members of the Backdoor VIP Club.

#17 Edited by evilrazer (496 posts) -

@S1XTYN1N3: I get the same error. On the top it says "Coupon Validated!", but it asks me for my address and I filled it years ago and even if I fill if out one more time - nothing happens.

#18 Edited by TwoLines (2841 posts) -

So they can get rid of the GB fan base, one user at a time. Duh!

#19 Posted by dietmango (1667 posts) -

For mailing prizes. In particular, I won a free copy of Valkyria Chronicles from them, signed by a couple of people who worked on it. Of course, they needed my address so they can send it over to me.

#20 Posted by onegear (5 posts) -

@evilrazer: I've got the exact same issue, won't accept the details even though they already have them from ages ago. Bit annoying.

#21 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Afraid I'm also suffering from the Field not filled out properly issue..

#22 Posted by benspyda (2051 posts) -

Won't even accept mine, tried multiple browsers just won't get passed that address screen without saying I missed a field. I think its because I can't select a US state because I don't live in the US. I select the N/A option but it doesn't like it.

#23 Posted by foggel (2764 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:

All I know is, I used that code, realized my profile is linked to an old e-mail address. When I tried to change it to my current e-mail address, found out that said e-mail is banned from GameSpot. I laughed and logged out.

I'm banned too, and they keep spamming me with newsletters.
#24 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

so they can send you stuff if you win something. it is pretty shady for them to ask for it.

#25 Posted by HansGr00ber (19 posts) -

It's not liking my UK address either :(

#26 Edited by daanbro (15 posts) -

@benspyda: I have the exact same problem, not living in the US, filled in everything, but it wouldn't accept my address.

#27 Posted by snowninja845 (43 posts) -

@asian_pride said:

For mailing prizes. In particular, I won a free copy of Valkyria Chronicles from them, signed by a couple of people who worked on it. Of course, they needed my address so they can send it over to me.

and im guessing you won the jamaican lottery too.

#28 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

SO THEY CAN COME IN YOUR HOUSE WHILE YOUR SLEEPING AND STEAL ALL YOUR COOKIES!

#29 Posted by g6065 (275 posts) -

I'm another International subscriber with the address problem, maybe a mod / staff member could shed some light?

#30 Edited by Humanity (10110 posts) -

Probably want to break in when you're at work and hang up huge KFC advertisements on your living room walls and such.

@HansGr00ber: Just use a generic US address

123 Smith st

New York, NY, 10016

#31 Posted by HansGr00ber (19 posts) -

@Humanity: Ahh there we go. I had completely forgotten I actually live in 90210 :p

#32 Posted by evilrazer (496 posts) -

@Humanity: "YOUR COUPON HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY APPLIED! THE NEXT TIME YOU LOG IN, YOU WILL ENJOY ALL THE FEATURES OF GAMESPOT TOTAL ACCESS."

Thanks, that helped!

#33 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Humanity: That worked, thanks.

Fantastic to see they care so much about International users.

#34 Posted by Humanity (10110 posts) -

You're welcome I also make fake high school ID's if anyone is interested???

#35 Edited by Dogma (988 posts) -

It does not work for me though? I have tried 5-6 times with Humanity's example and even modified ones. What the hell am I doing wrong (and am I using the information in the wrong fields?) AND how the hell did Gamespot think when they made shis system? It seems to be extremely hostile to users outside of the US or Canada.

#36 Posted by Let1Down (15 posts) -

@Dogma: I was having the same problem. I had to exit the process completely, re-enter the code (which at least worked that second time) and THEN copied the generic address. Also, you can then change yourself back to the correct one in settings, which works.

#37 Posted by Dogma (988 posts) -

@Let1Down: There we go! Thanks for the tip!

#38 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

DUNNO, BUT IT'S FREE.

#39 Posted by Tebbit (4486 posts) -

@Dalai said:

@ModerateViolence said:
It's giant.

That's too big, put it back.

#40 Posted by gosukiller (2325 posts) -

I'm getting an ONE OR MORE REQUIRED FIELDS WERE NOT FILLED OUT. error.

I'm an international subscriber.

#41 Posted by FinalDasa (2065 posts) -

@GreggD said:

Because it's technically a subscription, so they need it to use as a billing address.

Shhhh! You're making too much sense.

#42 Edited by Moth_Pope (458 posts) -

@Humanity said:

Probably want to break in when you're at work and hang up huge KFC advertisements on your living room walls and such.

@HansGr00ber: Just use a generic US address

123 Smith st

New York, NY, 10016

Thank you, that worked for me too. Seems a lot (all?) of us users outside the US and Canada are getting this problem. I have no problem using a fake address for this, mind.

#43 Posted by Saminougat (62 posts) -

@Humanity: Thank you for that! Now I live in New York like I've always wanted to!

#44 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1212 posts) -

@jking47 said:

That would be how you get junk mail.

Yep. I took the offer but I am expecting a bunch of unsolicited crap in my mailbox soon.

#45 Posted by dietmango (1667 posts) -

@snowninja845 said:

@asian_pride said:

and im guessing you won the jamaican lottery too.

Maybe I did.

#47 Posted by UitDeToekomst (747 posts) -

For the people saying "so they can mail you prizes": if you win a prize, can't they just ask for your address at that time, or when you enter the contest?

#48 Posted by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -

How else will they know where to send the anthrax?

#49 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

They're sending Drew to your house so he can tell you how he destroys North Korean rockets.

With his mind.

#50 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

If you say something bad about gamespot, they send someone to your house...at night.