#1 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -
My mind is blown by this!

I mean, a game about hitchhiking to avoid dinosaurs sounds awesome, but with nine exclamation points its just outrageous! Don't forget trees stopping to pick up hitchhikers!
Nintendo should let people put GOOD games on WiiWare, instead of letting people make minigame compilations!

Please, tell me your thoughts on this game.
#2 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Decide the games you want with your money, don't accept others to decide your choices for you...

It'll probably sell in Japan anyway. Did you really count the exclamation marks? :P

#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (15915 posts) -

That looked horrible.

#4 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -

Yeah I actually did count the exclamation marks, sad isn't it?

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

I am SOOOOOOO fucking confused right now.

Quick, where's a Noby Noby Boy video when I need one?!
#6 Edited by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

Hey, I don't care what crap they let on WiiWare so long as they allow more LostWinds games.
#7 Posted by Dalai (7019 posts) -
deathfury said:
"My mind is blown by this!I mean, a game about hitchhiking to avoid dinosaurs sounds awesome, but with nine exclamation points its just outrageous! Don't forget trees stopping to pick up hitchhikers!Nintendo should let people put GOOD games on WiiWare, instead of letting people make minigame compilations!Please, tell me your thoughts on this game."
I'm sorry.  The World of Goo advertisement distracted me and I didn't watch the video.  Now that's a good WiiWare game.

As for the hitchhiking game, I have no comment.
#8 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

Hey, I don't care what crap they let on WiiWare so long as they allow more LostWinds games.
"
Sequel is coming.

The game came out some days ago on the Japanese wiiware service not sure if I made a page for it.
#9 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Sequel is coming.The game came out some days ago on the Japanese wiiware service not sure if I made a page for it."
I checked a couple days ago (or yesterday? Whenever) and was disappointed that you hadn't. Come on, it's a hitchhiking game!
#10 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

If we're going to complain about minigame collections, shouldn't we concentrate on the insane amount of half-rate, disc-based ones nintendo are letting in these days? Though really, if it sells, should Nintendo care?

#11 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

They announced it yesterday. Sure it's not a joke?

#12 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -
License_To_Bill said:
"They announced it yesterday. Sure it's not a joke?"
Well the gameplay was posted today, on April second, and sadly, its believable that its real.
#13 Posted by Colonel_Fury (453 posts) -

Am I the only one who thought that the thrusting motion with the wiimote look completely and utterly wrong?

#14 Posted by Cuddy (121 posts) -

terribly-awesome! so dumb game :P
cant help but laugh

#15 Edited by labam89 (312 posts) -

The was a pretty horrifying but not that surprising; its Nintendo, and I've come to expect crap/shovel ware  from them. (And no, I'm not saying that all Nintendo games are bad, they just seem to have an abundance of them.)

#16 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

That game's not developed by Nintendo... And if you associate Nintendo with crap games, something's wrong with you,. not them.

#17 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"That game's not developed by Nintendo... And if you associate Nintendo with crap games, something's wrong with you,. not them."
Jesus, are you that blinded by your fanboyism that you can't even tell that it is Nintendo's fault for allowing these games to be released on their console?
#18 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I think the post above mine clearly shows the dude is acting like Nintendo made it.

To answer to your point, are you so blinded by yours that you don't see it's bad for a first party to regulate what games appear on their platform so much? Have you never played and enjoyed a game that was scored less than stellar by the average publication? What makes you think a company like Nintendo would judge that better instead of deprive you of experiences you would enjoy? On the other hand, there are plenty of places you can read about these games on, thanks to them being actually available, and better decide if it's your thing or not. So, you don't lose anything by having it available, while you could lose a lot if it wasn't ever available to anyone.

No company gets so strict about what gets released, why would Nintendo be all faschist and change it? They were blamed as too strict in the past and it cost them third party support greatly in past generations. And with good reason. They can enforce standads like say, Microsoft enforcing HD resolution and certain online connectivity features, but other than that, they don't stop shovelware. Nintendo has its seal of approval thing too, but that also merely means the game has no game breaking bugs or shit ilike that. Judge the quality yourself and vote with your money.

#19 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"That game's not developed by Nintendo... And if you associate Nintendo with crap games, something's wrong with you,. not them."
Jesus, are you that blinded by your fanboyism that you can't even tell that it is Nintendo's fault for allowing these games to be released on their console?"
So who is at fault for all the crap games on Windows?  Microsoft?

Do you seriously think someone from Apple looks at every game for the iPhone?  They just let them on and  let the market decide.  Nintendo are no different.
#20 Edited by labam89 (312 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"I think the post above mine clearly shows the dude is acting like Nintendo made it.To answer to your point, are you so blinded by yours that you don't see it's bad for a first party to regulate what games appear on their platform so much? Have you never played and enjoyed a game that was scored less than stellar by the average publication? What makes you think a company like Nintendo would judge that better instead of deprive you of experiences you would enjoy? On the other hand, there are plenty of places you can read about these games on, thanks to them being actually available, and better decide if it's your thing or not, so you don't lose anything by having it available, while you could lose a lot if it wasn't ever available."
Actually that wasn't what I was trying to relate. Why I associate Nintendo with with those types games is because a lot of what has been released on the wii/whats on wii ware is, in my opinion, not up to par. I don't want anymore mini games or shoddy ports. (And yes I know I'm not Nintendo's targeted market anymore; but, that does nothing to to subside the feelings of being burned since I bought a wii launch)
#21 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Why does Nintendo even let half the games they do on their systems....cause it means money in the pocket specially with the droves of parents and grand parents that purchased a Wii for their child and see this and are like...my kid would like that.

#22 Edited by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"I think the post above mine clearly shows the dude is acting like Nintendo made it.

To answer to your point, are you so blinded by yours that you don't see it's bad for a first party to regulate what games appear on their platform so much? Have you never played and enjoyed a game that was scored less than stellar by the average publication? What makes you think a company like Nintendo would judge that better instead of deprive you of experiences you would enjoy? On the other hand, there are plenty of places you can read about these games on, thanks to them being actually available, and better decide if it's your thing or not. So, you don't lose anything by having it available, while you could lose a lot if it wasn't ever available to anyone.

No company gets so strict about what gets released, why would Nintendo be all faschist and change it? They were blamed as too strict in the past and it cost them third party support greatly in past generations. And with good reason. They can enforce standads like say, Microsoft enforcing HD resolution and certain online connectivity features, but other than that, they don't stop shovelware. Nintendo has its seal of approval thing too, but that also merely means the game has no game breaking bugs or shit ilike that. Judge the quality yourself and vote with your money."
Cool post filled with a lot of irrelevant points, bro.

Pray tell, just what experiences am I missing out on were they not to allow these minigame collections and the other shovelware games on? The only people that buy into them are the people that don't know any better. What I want from the Wii are more games like No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, etc. Y'know, games that actually have some substance and can provide some actual fun.

Al3xand3r said:
"No company gets so strict about what gets released, why would Nintendo be all faschist and change it?"
Oh, so it's completely fine for them to sell out to the "casuals" (for lack of a better word) and abandon the people that have stuck by them for as long as they can remember?

Also, please don't assume that I'm some sort of rampant fanboy. It's pretty offensive, you know.
#23 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

I should point out that this week there is a barber-shop game out. Take it or leave it I suppose, I've gotten used to Nintendo being associated with bizarre games.

#24 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Wait, what, when did I assume anything about you or say something offensive? I repeated the same question you made about me, and I didn't even use the word fanboy anywhere in my post whatsoever, so, what are you on about exactly?

Also, my post is perfectly relevant (at least the first paragraph, perhaps I over-elaborated next), counters all of your points in logical ways, and you clearly have nothing to say against it, other than going back to the "Nintendo abandoned us" type of posts, as if  they made this game or they stopped a hardcore game from getting released on WiiWare. No company regulates releases in this way, and it's bad for us to have them start doing so. Yeah, many would agree a game like this is crap. But, they could also think a game you'd think is good is crap and never allow you to experience it. Ignorance is bliss is that case, but I'd rather see everything released so I can chose for myself. It's simple to comprehend, really. This isn't even available to you yet, and may never be considering how Japanese it looks. Maybe it's actually funny to them, cultural differences and all. Yet it's offending you enough to feel you're being violated in your hardcoreness. Meh, whatever.

#25 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"I think the post above mine clearly shows the dude is acting like Nintendo made it.

No company gets so strict about what gets released, why would Nintendo be all faschist and change it? They were blamed as too strict in the past and it cost them third party support greatly in past generations. And with good reason. They can enforce standads like say, Microsoft enforcing HD resolution and certain online connectivity features, but other than that, they don't stop shovelware. Nintendo has its seal of approval thing too, but that also merely means the game has no game breaking bugs or shit ilike that. Judge the quality yourself and vote with your money."
Cool post filled with a lot of irrelevant points, bro.

Pray tell, just what experiences am I missing out on were they not to allow these minigame collections and the other shovelware games on? The only people that buy into them are the people that don't know any better. What I want from the Wii are more games like No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, etc. Y'know, games that actually have some substance and can provide some actual fun.

Al3xand3r said:
"No company gets so strict about what gets released, why would Nintendo be all faschist and change it?"
Oh, so it's completely fine for them to sell out to the "casuals" (for lack of a better word) and abandon the people that have stuck by them for as long as they can remember?Also, please don't assume that I'm some sort of rampant fanboy. It's pretty offensive, you know."
ZO NOES!!!  DISGAEA R MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disgaea makes good points, but there are also other good points.

In the end, though, the shovelware is getting publishers and developers the money needed in order to make the games that we wait all year for.  I mean, how else are they going to get the funding for their millions-of-dollars big budget titles if they don't push out a bunch of shit that people will buy for cheap because they don't know any better?

If anything, the market going casual is one of the best things to happen for core gamers.  Now, we see guys like EA taking huge leaps with original IPs like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Dante's Inferno, etc....or like 2K with Bioshock.

I mean, come on:  not everyone can be Valve.  = D
#26 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

@ Unlived, that's probably one of the games that would likely be refused if we had such "quality control" as is asked here, yet it's apparently  a very good game judging by the few available reviews... I won't get it, because it doesn't appeal to me, but everything that doesn't appeal to me shouldn't simply be denied the chance to make some money really.

#27 Posted by Scientist (53 posts) -

Wow, even though it is past April Fool's day, I'm still hoping it's some sort of joke.  

#28 Posted by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"Al3xand3r said:
Jesus, are you that blinded by your fanboyism that you can't even tell that it is Nintendo's fault for allowing these games to be released on their console?"
You really can't be selective with what games you allow on your system. If you do that, developers will just stop developing for your console. They don't want to go to the expense of developing a game when there is still a risk it will be rejected by Nintendo. Third party devs just wouldn't waste their time.
#29 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
You really can't be selective with what games you allow on your system. If you do that, developers will just stop developing for your console. They don't want to go to the expense of developing a game when there is still a risk it will be rejected by Nintendo. Third party devs just wouldn't waste their time."
Right on the money.  Nintendo lost a lot of industry "friends" once upon a time for being too controlling.  Now they loosen up and we get this kind of reaction.  Once upon a time, Nintendo most likely would not have allowed Madworld or House of Dead: Overkill because it didn't fit with their family friendly image. 

Sometimes you just can't please everyone (and you can never please a self declare hardcore gamer - if it were up to them we would have about 9 game releases a year and even then they would argue amongst themselves about the 'worthiness' of the games).
#30 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Am I the only one that thinks this game looks fucking awesome?

#31 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"Am I the only one that thinks this game looks fucking awesome?"
You're not alone. Find it rather amusing seeing people claim the game is bad without having played it also the game has quite some pedigree behind it, its by Nippon Ichi the makers of Disgaia.

edit: Official website is pretty crazy, http://nippon1.jp/consumer/hitchhike/
#32 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Endogene said:
"get2sammyb said:
"Am I the only one that thinks this game looks fucking awesome?"
You're not alone. Find it rather amusing seeing people claim the game is bad without having played it also the game has quite some pedigree behind it, its by Nippon Ichi the makers of Disgaia.

edit: Official website is pretty crazy, http://nippon1.jp/consumer/hitchhike/"
Even though I have made general comments on this thread, I haven't actually bothered to check the game.  Bad, I know.  ANyway, you mentioned Nippon Ichi and my interest just went up.  I love their work.

As someone who really digs offbeat Japanese stuff, like Giftpia (which I have) and Captain Rainbow, I looked at the site and the trailer and I was impressed.  If I could get my Wii online and it got a western release, I would seriously consider this.  Bizarre Japanese games ftw.

When he holds the wiimote at his groin, I am wrong or does that just look bad?
#33 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

Ok, aggressive tone is gone because it's not 2am anymore.

Al3xand3r said:

"Also, my post is perfectly relevant (at least the first paragraph, perhaps I over-elaborated next), counters all of your points in logical ways, and you clearly have nothing to say against it, other than going back to the "Nintendo abandoned us" type of posts, as if  they made this game or they stopped a hardcore game from getting released on WiiWare. No company regulates releases in this way, and it's bad for us to have them start doing so. Yeah, many would agree a game like this is crap. But, they could also think a game you'd think is good is crap and never allow you to experience it. Ignorance is bliss is that case, but I'd rather see everything released so I can chose for myself. It's simple to comprehend, really. This isn't even available to you yet, and may never be considering how Japanese it looks. Maybe it's actually funny to them, cultural differences and all. Yet it's offending you enough to feel you're being violated in your hardcoreness. Meh, whatever."
Parts of your post were relevant. Sure, I see where you're coming from when you mention Nintendo losing third-party developers previously, but it seems to me that nothing of value will be lost if it's just the developers of these minigame compilations. Sure, they'd probably lose out on money, but so long as they gave some of their better upcoming games more exposure, they could make up for that.

The way I see it right now is that Nintendo aren't worrying themselves over developing some great first party games because they know they're earning a shitload of cash from the games in question.  Or perhaps I'm dead wrong and I should drop this subject already.

P.S: To the post rating abuser, summon your Persona.
#34 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I'd buy this game and have a good time doing it. A lot of you guys are way too uptight and need to learn to relax.

#35 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"Parts of your post were relevant. Sure, I see where you're coming from when you mention Nintendo losing third-party developers previously, but it seems to me that nothing of value will be lost if it's just the developers of these minigame compilations. Sure, they'd probably lose out on money, but so long as they gave some of their better upcoming games more exposure, they could make up for that.The way I see it right now is that Nintendo aren't worrying themselves over developing some great first party games because they know they're earning a shitload of cash from the games in question.  Or perhaps I'm dead wrong and I should drop this subject already.P.S: To the post rating abuser, summon your Persona."
Welll, as you can see, there are people who like the concept of the game already, surely your preferences shouldn't deprive them of the ability to purchase it, just as others' preferences don't deprive you of the ability to purchase other titles that do appeal to you. If the situation was reversed and it was a game you liked but the majority here disapproved, then how would you feel about it?

And no, nothing indicates Nintendo are simply resting on their laurels (sp) while they get the cash from such third party releases. I didn't hear about Monotlith or Retro or internal studios taking prolonged forced vacation. These guys have to be paid whether they're working on a game or not, and I imagine if they're getting paid then they also have projects going, as that makes financial sense. Nintendo games always took long, they just have these new games to make and release inbetween now, that is all the change I see.

But hey, it works for the displeased third parties that thought Nintendo titles take all the revenue, and now we don't even get much hype for the games Nintendo does publish (Excitebots and Punch-Out!! soon) too long before the actual release, so they should be happy now. Similarly for WiiWare releases as Nintendo didn't really offer anything through the service, other than Maboshi, so the third parties faced no competition.

And it also works for Nintendo since their major releases have always been VERY spaced out, except for this generation when they had a bunch in a row. Motion Plus also shows they're far from resting on their laurels, and instead try to keep ahead with the surge of motion based controll devices oncoming.
#36 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Their constant rejection of game developers in past generations is the reason few games came for their systems.

Now that they let developers do anything they want, they are still getting yelled at.

#37 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Willy105 said:
"Their constant rejection of game developers in past generations is the reason few games came for their systems.Now that they let developers do anything they want, they are still getting yelled at."
This.  You can't please anyone (well almost anyone).