• 94 results
#1 Posted by NPfeifer (181 posts) -

I really felt for former Screened writer and famous puppy petter Matt Rorie when he left Screened after the Whiskey split last year and as he spent the following nine or so months unemployed. He even came on the GB stage at least once for a Quick Look. He recently landed at Gamespy, but as we all saw yesterday, that property is already being boxed up and shipped out to the Land Where Sites Go To Die, so it surprised me when both Alex and Ryan pleaded with their Twitter audience to give the man a job.

Uh, Giant Bomb, give Matt Rorie a job. This seems like the simplest equation ever. I don't know if Rorie has something against CBSI or GB just isn't in a position to bring on another hand, but this seems like the simplest thing to do and honestly, the world needs more Matt Rorie.

Just do it. Yesterday.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

I don't know if you know this but a) Giantbomb has bosses now that might not like this and b) maybe they don't have the funds to pay a superfluous sixth personality?

I mean, it's not necessarily just snap-your-fingers-hire-a-friend. Sure, some people might be able to do that, but others might not.

EDIT: Before you bring up Patrick, they needed a news guy. What role would Rorie fill that they don't already have filled? I'm not saying I don't want him on here, I'm saying that if he isn't on here, there's probably a pretty good reason for that and it probably isn't your business.

#3 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4825 posts) -

You know it's a lot more complicated than whether or not Jeff wants to hire his buddy. There are a lot of outside factors that are worked into a decision like this, and while I'm sure they'd love to hire their friend there could be any number of reasons as to why it can't happen yet.

Point is, these kinds of threads are tactless and kinda shitty. I can't imagine how awkward it is to be in charge of a website and having your community tell you to hire your friend.

#4 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

Well, Rorie is an executive editor on gamespy.com so that may be a little hard to do.

#5 Edited by EthanML (455 posts) -

@winternet: ...seriously? If you're gonna be ignorant of current events you may want to actually read something in the post other than the title.

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -

Well, Rorie is an executive editor on gamespy.com so that may be a little hard to do.

Gamespy is no more. It, along with 1UP and UGO are shutting down.

#7 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -
@pr1mus said:
@winternet said:

Gamespy is no more. It, along with 1UP and UGO are shutting down.

Hahaha no shit! Dude was there for like 2 months or something. That blows. Poor Rorie. Here's a sad puppy in his honor

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

Rorie would fill the position of Ryan Davis Hand-Holder, as it damn well should be.

#9 Posted by Yummylee (21763 posts) -

The stars haven't aligned yet.

#10 Edited by flasaltine (1675 posts) -

I don't know if you know this but a) Giantbomb has bosses now that might not like this and b) maybe they don't have the funds to pay a superfluous sixth personality?

I mean, it's not necessarily just snap-your-fingers-hire-a-friend. Sure, some people might be able to do that, but others might not.

EDIT: Before you bring up Patrick, they needed a news guy. What role would Rorie fill that they don't already have filled? I'm not saying I don't want him on here, I'm saying that if he isn't on here, there's probably a pretty good reason for that and it probably isn't your business.

They could use another person to write articles and do reviews. I've heard the current Giant Bomb crew complain that they don't have the time to cover really long games like Ni No Kuni because they are short on people.

#12 Posted by Brackynews (4087 posts) -

Crowd-sourced HR is never wrong. Facts.

Sad for Wrorie, but adi-fucking-os GameSpy. :P

#13 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

This has been talked to death, but yes, GB could use Rorie's personality and more content on the site, and no, it won't happen.

#14 Edited by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

I asked this before in the other thread but beyond having another nice guy around, what does he bring to the site? And I also have to point out that IGN/UGO/1up got into trouble because they had hired too many editors/writers/producer/staff against the (ad) revenue they were bringing in. Can Giant Bomb even support another no matter how nice they are?

#15 Edited by StrainedEyes (1325 posts) -

Another employee, another desk, another computer, another paycheck, insurance, etc... Companies only have so much money to work with.

That said, I miss Rorie.

#16 Edited by UlquioKani (1066 posts) -

They need more people on reviews so I would like to see him employed. His interests in games are also different from the rest of the team so It would shake things up a bit. So yeah, I'd like to see him on GB but I'm not sure it's that easy.

#17 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

What role would Rorie fill that they don't already have filled?

Boss of Bosses of course. I am still waiting for a 2nd installment after like what 8 years?

I do agree with you though. Unless him starting up insures more premium content showing up on the site then I don't see the point. I would love for more Load Our Last Save, Random PC Game, and the like, but if getting him back in the crew doesn't cause these features to come back or newer ones to happen then I don't really care.

I think they have the perfect crew as it is right now and I am a person who hates change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless it causes more premium content =P ).

#18 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

I don't give a fuck if Rorie ever writes a review, does a video, or anything else. I just want Rorie to be with Giant Bomb, like it should be.

#19 Posted by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

Why does Giant Bomb need more people on reviews? Do people really care about reviews?? I haven't read a video game review in a long long long while and it was more morbid curiosity to see if their opinions matched mine. I would rather not see Giant Bomb turn into yet another game site that feels compelled to crank out reviews.

#20 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Considering they're a part of CBSi now, I doubt they can just up and hire a new person just like that. I would love to see Rorie around more often, as well as his love of puppies.

#22 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I don't give a fuck if Rorie ever writes a review, does a video, or anything else. I just want Rorie to be with Giant Bomb, like it should be.

Me too. Rorie is a PC dude GB needs a dedicated PC dude so...

#25 Posted by StrainedEyes (1325 posts) -

Boy who cried wolf.

#26 Posted by NPfeifer (181 posts) -

If you read my post, you'd see that I already acknowledged your points.

Rorie brings a lot to the table. For as long as Patrick's been on the site, I don't think News was really what the site was missing and, honestly, it still seems a little awkward having "news" next to Giant Bomb's curated content. However, I'd still keep Patrick Klepek forever. Rorie is a master of features, which is something the site is sorely lacking, even with Patrick on-board. I think that kind of content is something GB could really use. That's on top of Rorie being here and all the video content he could contribute. His stuff for Screened was really good with Joey's help.

#27 Edited by Superkenon (1438 posts) -

The forum who cried Brad.

Anyway, yeah, it's not realistic to hire your buddy just because you want to. I think Jeff said himself he'd do it in an instant if everything lined up, so you can trust that there's a reason it hasn't happened yet.

I can attest to the realities as a small business-type myself. I have friends who need jobs, and I have work they could be doing, but it's no small matter to provide a salary someone can live off of. It just can't happen at a snap of the fingers. Giant Bomb may be CBSi now, but it's not like they give them infinite money to do whatever they please with -- if anything, I imagine the corporate barriers are even more obstructive to this end.

#28 Posted by Toxin066 (3290 posts) -

Rorie could be the PC guy the site's been "missing".

#29 Posted by mrfluke (5193 posts) -

pretty much this. giantbomb is looking for more specialty people that can hold their own on camera i think. jeff has brought up on a jar time they would love to get like a DOTA guy or like a rpg guy.

#30 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

Because they all secretly hate puppies.

#31 Posted by Happenstance (462 posts) -

Heres what Jeff said when he was asked this the last time on Tumblr:

Anonymous asked:

"Rorie has said that he would work at Giant Bomb if you guys asked him, so what's stopping you?"

Someday you will grow up and see how the real world works and be extremely disappointed.

As I’ve said before, it’d be great to work with Rorie again. If everything lines up in such a way that makes that possible someday, that’d be pretty cool.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (24969 posts) -

Heres what Jeff said when he was asked this the last time on Tumblr:

Anonymous asked:

"Rorie has said that he would work at Giant Bomb if you guys asked him, so what's stopping you?"

Someday you will grow up and see how the real world works and be extremely disappointed.

As I’ve said before, it’d be great to work with Rorie again. If everything lines up in such a way that makes that possible someday, that’d be pretty cool.

Sounds about right.

But in all seriousness, Giant Bomb, like any business, can't just hire someone to give them a job. They need to have a position to fill, which isn't something dictated by "Oh, hey, our bud needs a job" but by hiring budgets and personnel needs. If the time comes that the Giant Bomb staff feels they need another person and they're given the budget to hire for a new position, then conceivably, they could allow Rorie to come in for an interview. But it will never come to pass that Rorie will be hired simply because he needs a job.

#33 Posted by Residentrevil2 (445 posts) -

I miss the Rorie/Ryan hand holding. Oh, the memories...

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5707 posts) -

This subject is depressing!

#36 Posted by Humanity (9377 posts) -

@npfeifer: Without paragraphs about this "complicated adult world" apparently 'no budget' is the word on the street.

#37 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

This subject is depressing!

#38 Posted by Zaccheus (1795 posts) -

Reality is such a bummer.

#39 Posted by Jothel (930 posts) -

Rorie really deserves better than what he's been through the past year or so. Hopefully he can work with GB at some point or at least find a job that will last more than 2 months

#40 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

Rorie should launch his own video game website where he uses puppies to play and review games!

#41 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1140 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

Rorie should launch his own video game website where he uses puppies to play and review games!

Also with blackjack and hookers.

On topic, It would be nice if Rorie was to come back into the fold.

#42 Posted by Ramone (2972 posts) -

Maybe Gamespot should hire him and just loan him out to GB.

#43 Posted by Excast (937 posts) -

Giantbomb works because they are extremely popular with a fairly small staff. They don't have 97 employees. They don't need a ton of people because they don't try to cover everything that comes out.

And honestly? While I love the current crew, it often seems like they don't even have enough to do content wise. You can go an entire week and sometimes only see Brad in like one Quick Look along with the Thursday and Friday live streams. What is being done the rest of the week? I'm not really sure. I just don't see how they fit another person into that dynamic.

#44 Posted by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

I like how when I ask "Are we sure Giant Bomb can afford to hire another?" I'm the bad guy but when Jeff says this he is wise. :)

That said, I definitely would love to hear him come by for a few podcasts especially if they need bodies in chairs to discuss the fine points of pronouncing "interesting".

#45 Edited by Anund (901 posts) -

I feel like I am the only one who never really liked Rorie that much. I don't know why, but he just rubbed me the wrong way.

#46 Posted by hiono (50 posts) -

@anund said:

I feel like I am the only one who never really liked Rorie that much. I don't know why, but he just rubbed me the wrong way.

well that explains why you didnt like him!!!!

#47 Posted by Anund (901 posts) -

@hiono said:

@anund said:

well that explains why you didnt like him!!!!

Man, sometimes the answer is right under your nose!

#48 Posted by alternate (2711 posts) -

Even if they had a budget then they need a new video guy before they hire a new editor. That way vinny if freed up to be in video and the site doesn't grind to a halt when one of them is on holiday.

I am sure Jeff would love to hire all his old friends but by keeping the team small and lean GB gets to carry on doing what it does under the radar. Get too big and some exec up the CBS chain is going to want to mess with it.

#49 Posted by Seb (362 posts) -

I think if they could they would, there's no sinister reason behind it.

#50 Edited by Alekss (327 posts) -

Because Matt Rorie is eating littple puppies.