This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by HH (523 posts) -

action rpgs and rts's and mmo's are all well and good, but it's clear from their cut-scenes how much they enjoy the cinematic spectacle, so why don't they try their hand at a mass effect or a skyrim?

looking at twitch it's always blizzard games or blizzard rip-offs being watched the most, and I wonder is it because single player games don't have that kind of sustainability?

surely at this point profit margins are all but inconsequential to them, and surely there must be among their number at least some ambition to do this kind of thing, so why not?

i ask because the new gen is promising not nearly enough rpg for my liking.

#2 Edited by StarvingGamer (7566 posts) -

I'm fascinated to hear how you equate Skyrim and "cinematic spectacle" in your mind.

#3 Edited by MrCaptain (361 posts) -

They tried to do that with starcraft ghost, but failed.

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (7667 posts) -

"A proper game"?

They like the kinds of games they're making. If they wanted to do more games like you prefer, they'd be doing them. They're a game developer, and they'll make the games they want to make.

#5 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2442 posts) -

Hell yeah, I always wanted a game about detergent.

#6 Posted by Aetheldod (3342 posts) -

I see 3 reasons:

1) Since they dont have experience in othere genres they rather do something that they already know how to do it , do it well and make it sell well

2)Activision being their lords and masters say ... "nu uh- keep doin Diablo , Starcraft and WOW ... Mwahhahahaha"(thats Kotick evil laugh)

3)They just doesnt fuckin want to (I think this is the real reason)

#7 Edited by Seppli (9743 posts) -

It's all about timing, and the right product. Seeing how Blizzard reverted from full-production to pre-production on Project Titan, it seems like they think they don't have the right product right now.

The MMO-space is, where Blizzard is bound to make a new game sooner or later, much too dynamic right now for Blizzard to come out half-cocked. I think they'll be looking very closely at what happens with Everquest Next, which looks like the first true MMO 2.0 - incorporating Minecraft-esque mechanics and systems into the core game.

And Blizzard is right to do so. If Everquest Next delivers a proof of concept, anything lesser than that will not stand a chance.

#8 Edited by Dacnomaniac (426 posts) -

What's your definition of a 'proper game'? They like what they make, and make what they like...

#9 Edited by Seppli (9743 posts) -

Also - I obviously didn't read the whole OP. Blizzard doesn't make *proper* games, because there's less money in those. Online-centric games offer more possibilities of monetization. Of course, I don't agree with your definition of *proper*.

If anything, expect an online multiplayer FPS of some kind, if that meets your *cinematic spectacle* vignette.

#10 Posted by roninenix (116 posts) -

I'm guessing action RPGs, RTS' and MMOs aren't proper games for you.

I'm fascinated to hear how you equate Skyrim and "cinematic spectacle" in your mind.

I'd also like to see a response to this Lol. Reading that at first got me going 'Huh? So games with amazing and well done cinematic scenes aren't proper games?'

#11 Posted by HH (523 posts) -

by "proper" (excuse me for bringing my personality into my thread) i mean a game that's not top down, a game that looks and plays more like their cinematics, like how any number of other developers would approach the subject matter.

did i really need to spell that out?

#12 Edited by Seppli (9743 posts) -

@hh said:

by "proper" (excuse me for bringing my personality into my thread) i mean a game that's not top down, a game that looks and plays more like their cinematics, like how any number of other developers would approach the subject matter.

You meant to say action-driven? Action gameplay? Execution-driven? Dunno. Most future MMOs seem to adhere to your request, expect Blizzard's next MMO to do so as well. Something along the lines of this...

#13 Edited by HH (523 posts) -

jesus

BYE BYE!

#14 Posted by Sinusoidal (1155 posts) -

They used to, then WoW made them maddd $$$$$ and they never looked back.

I love me some Lost Vikings.

#15 Posted by Doskias (281 posts) -

See, the thing I like the most about this medium is that there are so many different kinds of games. Games for all tastes! And if one company doesn't make the kind of thing I like, another one is sure to make one more suited to my tastes!

@hh said:

Y'know, I'm willing to bet that everyone who read the title of your thread knew exactly what you meant. But if I look at your collection of music and ask you why you don't have any "proper" albums, you might take that as an insult to your musical tastes.

#16 Posted by TheRealTimesplitter (61 posts) -

I see 3 reasons:

1) Since they dont have experience in othere genres they rather do something that they already know how to do it , do it well and make it sell well

2)Activision being their lords and masters say ... "nu uh- keep doin Diablo , Starcraft and WOW ... Mwahhahahaha"(thats Kotick evil laugh)

3)They just doesnt fuckin want to (I think this is the real reason)

Those two..

I came here to post this but dont want to take credit away from you:)

#17 Posted by roninenix (116 posts) -

The way I see it for Blizzard games like Starcraft, those scenes are there to tell a story and portray the world and characters to the gamer. Otherwise, all scenes would be from the top down view with speech over text bubbles and that would be a little boring and less rewarding.

As for MMO's, lots of free2plays have been gearing towards the more action aspect with the advancement of PCs and the internet. Better PCs for handling all the little things going on screen and faster internet for making sure every action done syncs up correctly with the server and other users.

One of those MMOs is Vindictus having a lot of action cutscenes with the gameplay to back it up.

Too lazy to find other videos at this time but there are more MMOs doing this now. Everquest Next is the big one, including others like Dragon Nest, Tera, Continent of the 9th, Blade & Soul and probably much more.

#18 Posted by Herk (165 posts) -

I couldn't be more hyped for Hearthstone. They don't need to change anything.

#19 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1594 posts) -

Who the fuck is Mr. Proper? That is Mr. CLEAN, son!

#20 Posted by Hyuzen (429 posts) -
#21 Edited by bigjeffrey (4162 posts) -

Actvision Blizzard

#22 Posted by bemusedchunk (582 posts) -

Lost Vikings and Rock N Roll racing are proper games.

#23 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

If they wanted to do a "proper" game they would've done so by now. It's clear they enjoy making RTS/Action RPG/MMORPGs and they're pretty good at it, so I don't see why they want to change.

#24 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

That's right, they only make improper games.

#25 Posted by audioBusting (1304 posts) -

I find it amusing how a "proper" game is described as being cinematic (i.e. cinema-like) in the OP.

#26 Edited by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

Its not like their games have a lot of cinematic moments either. Actually they do!

#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Skyrim? SKYRIM? A 2 year old could make better cutscenes.

#28 Posted by Dalai (6880 posts) -

The real question people should be asking is this.

Why doesn't Blizzard make JRPGs?

#29 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (925 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

Who the fuck is Mr. Proper? That is Mr. CLEAN, son!

No kidding, I don't care about the actual topic of this thread, I just want someone to tell me more about Mr. Proper. I feel like he and Mr. Clean must have some kind of Prince and the Proper Pauper thing going on. Twin brothers, separated at birth, one sent to a life of servitude cleaning toilets and drains while the other lived a life of privilege. Matter of fact, I think we may have the story of Blizzard's cinematic new game right here.

#30 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2442 posts) -
#31 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

@dalai said:

The real question people should be asking is this.

Why doesn't Blizzard make JRPGs?

Starcraft 2 is fairly angst ridden and relies on a bit of techbable-spiritual nonsense. Hmm....

#32 Edited by believer258 (11047 posts) -

A "proper" game?

They do fucking make proper games. Fuck "cinema", Blizzard games quite obviously concentrate on mechanics first and foremost and world-building, "cinematic" bullshit second. I don't agree with all of their practices nor am I a big fan of any of their games but it's great to see a big name still focusing on the thing that matters most in games, mechanics, instead of making something pretty that tells an overwrought, cheesy story. Oh, and they always manage to do the latter anyway.

Sorry, you hit my berserk button by saying "cinema" in relation to video games. Movies are great. Games are great. Games are not movies. Stop trying to fucking mix the two, it hasn't resulted in a single brilliant or amazing video game yet.

#33 Posted by ToxicFruit (1713 posts) -

The way I see it for Blizzard games like Starcraft, those scenes are there to tell a story and portray the world and characters to the gamer. Otherwise, all scenes would be from the top down view with speech over text bubbles and that would be a little boring and less rewarding.

As for MMO's, lots of free2plays have been gearing towards the more action aspect with the advancement of PCs and the internet. Better PCs for handling all the little things going on screen and faster internet for making sure every action done syncs up correctly with the server and other users.

One of those MMOs is Vindictus having a lot of action cutscenes with the gameplay to back it up.

Too lazy to find other videos at this time but there are more MMOs doing this now. Everquest Next is the big one, including others like Dragon Nest, Tera, Continent of the 9th, Blade & Soul and probably much more.

That actually looks pretty fucking awesome.

I remember seeing this game like 2-3 years ago, is it any good ?
I see that nexon is publishing it which makes me worry a bit seeing as they don't have to best track record.

#34 Posted by Pr1mus (3520 posts) -

Profit margins will never be inconsequential to any company, much less a publicly traded one.

#35 Posted by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

@hh: Everything good in Skyrim is already done in WoW.

#36 Posted by RedRavN (381 posts) -

@toxicfruit: I really enjoyed playing vindictus. I played a scythe evie to around level 40ish and messed around a bit with the other characters. The problem is that the game gets grindier as you level up, leading to you needing to replay the same dungeons repeatedly either for xp, to complete ridiculous fetch quests, or try to get the right drops to craft the next tier of gear. But the combat is really fun and satisfying especially with a good group. Its also free and a quality made game so if you like action combat its worth a look. It would be fun to just play solo into the mid level 20s.

#37 Posted by Dixavd (1134 posts) -

Blizzcon's just around the corner; they must have something big to show after skipping last year's convention to focus on it. Maybe they are going to do a reverse of what we are seeing with single player games: "It's an MMO, but You're in your own world, just you - but you affect the big picture". That would be funny.

#38 Posted by Andorski (5111 posts) -

I don't see how making good cutscenes equate to being good at creating cinematic action-adventure games.

#39 Posted by RedRavN (381 posts) -

I wish blizzard would take more creative risk with their games. Starcraft 2 and diablo 3, while clearly well made and successful games, felt very safe in a lot of ways. Neither of those games will ever be known as games that really shook up the industry in any way or added much to their respective genres. I just wish they would make a new rts that feels different and is something we haven't seen before. There is clearly a lot of talent in blizzard waiting to be unleashed. I would even welcome them trying a very different type of game like a shooter or third person action game. If their next game is not warcraft, starcraft or diablo then they have the creative room to be really innovate like they used to.

#40 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

They should make a CoD with orcs, and dragon-orcs, and ... lich-orcs.

#41 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2157 posts) -

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the OP check out of this thread a while ago. Might as well lock it down.

#42 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -
#43 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5797 posts) -

Giant Bomb isn't the place for blatant troll threads. Locking this down.