Why don't we play games anymore?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Every time I see someone talking about games, they never talk about playing them. Sure, they'll talk about the level designs and gameplay mechanics and perspective and difficulty, but they never talk about playing them anymore.

Now, it's all about "experiencing" games.

Jesus Christ, shove a fist down my throat with this stuff. Why do we not say "play" games? You "watch" movies. You don't "experience" them. You "hear" music. You don't "experience" it. Why do games have to be different? Whenever someone talks about the experience, I think of them as a pretentious fop who needs justification for pouring in countless hours and funds into games other than the immediate reward. He needs them to be "appreciated."

It really sends me off.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

WHOA!  WHOOOOOOOOOOA!!!

whoa

So what are you saying?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

That gamers are pretentious fops.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

Playing is a way of experiencing, so it's just a less childish way of saying that. Get over it.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By albedos_shadow

True.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
"Playing is a way of experiencing, so it's just a less childish way of saying that. Get over it."
So now you're saying that playing games is for children.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

We do play games. /lock

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead
Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Playing is a way of experiencing, so it's just a less childish way of saying that. Get over it."
So now you're saying that playing games is for children."
I'm saying the word play is associated with childish things by society and people don't want to sound like they do childish things.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I'm saying the word play is associated with childish things by society and people don't want to sound like they do childish things."
So it's an image thing, like I said.
deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By deadpoool

i say that 'i play games'

dude this thread is lame.

=andy=

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
deadpoool said:
"i say that 'i play games'

=andy="
You're not on my black list, then, but there are others.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dalai

I play and experience games... nothing wrong with either choice, really.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I'm saying the word play is associated with childish things by society and people don't want to sound like they do childish things."
So it's an image thing, like I said."
Yeah, but I also play games, so what i'm saying is nothing like what you're accusing me of.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weltal

Eh? People talking about specific things within a game makes them pretentious?

deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deadpoool
Arkthemaniac said:
"deadpoool said:
"i say that 'i play games'

=andy="
You're not on my black list, then, but there are others."

dude, i called your thread 'lame' - you better put me on your blacklist

=andy=
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Arkthemaniac said:
"Jesus Christ, shove a fist down my throat "

Does it have to be a fist?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187

I think Ark is simply trying to open any thread or comment on any thread possible to just whine and complain, then pretend to trap people in a corner with their answers.

Games are games.  You play them.  You experience them.  You could fuck them if your dick was small enough.  You just do whatever.  If you seriously have to question a single word like this is the Monica Lewinsky scandal all over again, then you need to start questioning whether you are a gamer because of the fad or because of the experiences themselves.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Player1

It really depends how you look at it. You can just play a game, not thinking about graphics, level design, anything. 

Or you can experience it, and get more out of it by taking it all the work the dudes that made it put into it. 

So I think I get more out of a game by experiencing it. 
Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Prime20

I kind of get what you mean, but it seems to be Reviewers that seem to forget that you actually play the game and instead sit on the side lines and scrutinize every section of the game without adding the fun of playing it.

Not that every reviewer does that but alot of them seem to exclude fun. Gamers do teh same thing.

Its like we've gotten to a point where every game thats out there we spend more time dissecting it and comparing it to the last AAA title to actually have fun.

If that wasnt what you were getting at you were just saying that theres alot of elitest douche bags that "experience" games and they're just idiots that think they're above just playing them. Probably the same idiots that wear black turtle necks, drink frappachinos, and believe that games are art.
Not that games are not art but you dont have to be one of the idiots that only see Inde movies to prove it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
Prime20 said:
"I kind of get what you mean, but it seems to be Reviewers that seem to forget that you actually play the game and instead sit on the side lines and scrutinize every section of the game without adding the fun of playing it.

Not that every reviewer does that but alot of them seem to exclude fun. Gamers do teh same thing.

Its like we've gotten to a point where every game thats out there we spend more time dissecting it and comparing it to the last AAA title to actually have fun.

If that wasnt what you were getting at you were just saying that theres alot of elitest douche bags that "experience" games and they're just idiots that think they're above just playing them. Probably the same idiots that wear black turtle necks, drink frappachinos, and believe that games are art.
Not that games are not art but you dont have to be one of the idiots that only see Inde movies to prove it."
As a former reviewer, I can say that reviewing games made me hate video games by the time I was done writing.  God of War would've been a million times more fun to me (even though it was still fun) if I wasn't having to say "oh, there's some minor clipping issues here" and "oh, that was a bug I think".  Same with Halo 2 (texturing issues mostly).
I think, as a society, we've come to the point now where tech is so high that we have to pick apart things like that in order to justify the quality of a game.  I can say that I had immense amounts of fun playing Destruction Derby Arenas (and I absolutely did!!!), but regardless, the game is flawed in a million different ways.

Therefore, talking about playing/experiencing/fucking games as a gamer and as a reviewer are two totally different things.

When I read a review nowadays, I don't look for "oh, the graphics are choppy and texturing and blah blah blah".  I just look to see if there are any bugs or glitches that make it unplayable, and see if there is an idea of the general amount of fun the person had with it.  If they are too technical, I switch to a different review.

It's one of the reasons why I always dug the guys on GB, because any time you've ever seen them review a game, they always talk about whether it's fun or not.  Fuck, I'm sure Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts isn't the perfect game, but I'll be damned if it doesn't end up being fun.

Basically, all that is me saying:  reviewing games ruins fun after a while - playing games can become tiring because you get burned so many times by companies that you need the reviews to help guide you along.

It's a vicious fucking cycle.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
"Prime20 said:
"I kind of get what you mean, but it seems to be Reviewers that seem to forget that you actually play the game and instead sit on the side lines and scrutinize every section of the game without adding the fun of playing it.

Not that games are not art but you dont have to be one of the idiots that only see Inde movies to prove it."
As a former reviewer, I can say that reviewing games made me hate video games by the time I was done writing.  God of War would've been a million times more fun to me (even though it was still fun) if I wasn't having to say "oh, there's some minor clipping issues here" and "oh, that was a bug I think".  Same with Halo 2 (texturing issues mostly).
I think, as a society, we've come to the point now where tech is so high that we have to pick apart things like that in order to justify the quality of a game.  I can say that I had immense amounts of fun playing Destruction Derby Arenas (and I absolutely did!!!), but regardless, the game is flawed in a million different ways.

Therefore, talking about playing/experiencing/fucking games as a gamer and as a reviewer are two totally different things.

When I read a review nowadays, I don't look for "oh, the graphics are choppy and texturing and blah blah blah".  I just look to see if there are any bugs or glitches that make it unplayable, and see if there is an idea of the general amount of fun the person had with it.  If they are too technical, I switch to a different review.

It's one of the reasons why I always dug the guys on GB, because any time you've ever seen them review a game, they always talk about whether it's fun or not.  Fuck, I'm sure Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts isn't the perfect game, but I'll be damned if it doesn't end up being fun.

Basically, all that is me saying:  reviewing games ruins fun after a while - playing games can become tiring because you get burned so many times by companies that you need the reviews to help guide you along.

"
The word "experience" represents that cycle, at least to me. That's what I meant. You play games for fun, while you experience them for other reasons. Pretentious reasons. That's what I was getting at.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
Arkthemaniac said:
"The word "experience" represents that cycle, at least to me. That's what I meant. You play games for fun, while you experience them for other reasons. Pretentious reasons. That's what I was getting at."
But you are talking about semantics that don't even matter.  What the fuck does it matter what you call it?  Playing a game and experiencing a game, whether you like it or not, are the same damn thing.  If things like this are what bother you and "really sends (you) off", then you need to get out more and stop worrying so much about something stupid like this.  We can sit and psychoanalyze the meaning and purpose and all that shit, but it's just going to end up sounding like a list of topics that you rant on about when you are stoned and believe you are the most intelligent thing on the planet.  =  /
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"The word "experience" represents that cycle, at least to me. That's what I meant. You play games for fun, while you experience them for other reasons. Pretentious reasons. That's what I was getting at."
But you are talking about semantics that don't even matter.  What the fuck does it matter what you call it?  Playing a game and experiencing a game, whether you like it or not, are the same damn thing.  If things like this are what bother you and "really sends (you) off", then you need to get out more and stop worrying so much about something stupid like this.  We can sit and psychoanalyze the meaning and purpose and all that shit, but it's just going to end up sounding like a list of topics that you rant on about when you are stoned and believe you are the most intelligent thing on the planet.  =  /"
You calling me a stoner?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Cube

Wow...lame fucking thread. Come on.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Cube said:
"Wow...lame fucking thread. Come on."
It's better to not bump threads you don't like.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Cube
Arkthemaniac said:
"Cube said:
"Wow...lame fucking thread. Come on."
It's better to not bump threads you don't like."
It's better not to post shitty threads in the first place.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TEAMHOLT
HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Saying you "experience" games isn't fooling anybody, chief.
Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Tycoon
jakob187 said:
"Prime20 said:

"
Every time I buy a game now, I buy it open minded and not all "OMG this better be good".  Just go in, omg is that a game?  Buy it and think that it will suck.  Low expectations will be surpassed.  =)
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Jayge_

I play games for the experience.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
Jayge said:
"I play games for the experience."
icwutudidthar
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Jayge said:

Very well put. The bottom line of gaming has always been fun. That is the goal, but it's a goal we try to reach in different ways. I wouldn't call an arcade game 'an experience'. We have different words because we want to convey slightly different (but basically the same) meaning. Play just isn't adequate. It has a lot to do with immersion, which is an important factor in today's games. We "experiance" games in a way that you couldn't experience arcade games.

Also, calling a large group of people pretentious for basically semantic reasons is a bit pretentious. :P
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Absurd

Who cares?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bellum said:
"Jayge said:

Very well put. The bottom line of gaming has always been fun. That is the goal, but it's a goal we try to reach in different ways. I wouldn't call an arcade game 'an experience'. We have different words because we want to convey slightly different (but basically the same) meaning. Play just isn't adequate. It has a lot to do with immersion, which is an important factor in today's games. We "experiance" games in a way that you couldn't experience arcade games.

Also, calling a large group of people pretentious for basically semantic reasons is a bit pretentious. :P"
This is also very well put.  Also, Absurd, I +1'd your post. 
Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Shasam

I think other users have managed to answer this thread. Semantics is not really a thing to argue about, as if there is some problem with experiencing something. I experience games while playing them, and maybe there is an actual topic to talk about in what experience something means, but this thread doesn't have much weighting towards that.

Oh, and I have talked about experiencing music and films before too, so it's not just a gaming thing.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Discorsi

HOw can we play games taht are not even out yet. a derp a derp

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Major

Another completely fucking useless post by Arkthemaniac. Get laid, there's a experience for you.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By shotaro
Jayge said:
good point well made
especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By especensor

people will experience video games the same way some people will really connect to a piece of literature or art.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By KillaMaStA

I play games, i might "experience" the cutscenes in a game tho

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By Tordah

I thought this thread was gonna be about how we just spend all of our precious time on forums talking about games, dissing them, praising them, hyping them, etc. Instead of actually playing any games anymore we just discuss them online.

I couldn't have been more wrong. >_>

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:

"

I totally agree with that.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By get2sammyb
Arkthemaniac said:
"That gamers are pretentious fops."
Are we really? I like to think gaming is a past time you can invest yourself in. You do become engulfed by the graphics, the plot and the sound. It's a more interactive medium that just movies or music. It combines the best of film while involving your mind and reactions too.

I really do think you experience a game.

But I hear what you're saying. I think it's something that's happened as games have gotten better. Today you shell out £40 on a game and you kinda expect a good plot, good sound and just expect to be engulfed in it.

LittleBigPlanet is a game that you just play. They are still out there.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By Gunner

Woh! people still play games? Being on a gaming website i would never have guessed.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DualReaver

I experience games so I may play them.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By Black_Rose

I dont consider myself a gamer, but they do bring amazing, sometime breathtaking experiences. That's the reason i play them.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46  Edited By JonathanMoore
Arkthemaniac said:
"Every time I see someone talking about games, they never talk about playing them. Sure, they'll talk about the level designs and gameplay mechanics and perspective and difficulty, but they never talk about playing them anymore.
Now, it's all about "experiencing" games.

Jesus Christ, shove a fist down my throat with this stuff. Why do we not say "play" games? You "watch" movies. You don't "experience" them. You "hear" music. You don't "experience" it. Why do games have to be different? Whenever someone talks about the experience, I think of them as a pretentious fop who needs justification for pouring in countless hours and funds into games other than the immediate reward. He needs them to be "appreciated."

It really sends me off.
"

You are reading WAY too much into Video Games, Please stop.

There Video Games, we play them, and most of the time we enjoy them, end of.

-- God Bless.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By crunchUK

videogames... ARE an experience in their own right

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By daniel_beck_90
HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I play video games and I do not feel embarrassed  when I tell the other "I am playing Video games " . I never ever consider "playing" a childish word .
 I believe  every one , every age , every sex , needs to play since it is part of our life , we are human and we need to play . in past ages  people played with old stuff  but in modern era we play Video games .  there is nothing wrong with it what so ever