#1 Posted by CptMorganCA (203 posts) -

Hey duders, this is something that has always been a GB thing, but I haven't started to notice it until recently. Almost every GB user I see uses an alternate profile picture rather than a picture of themselves. There's nothing wrong with this of course, but the sheer ratio of it in GB is interesting. Is it because all of the staff and mods use random pics? I'm interested to see other people's thoughts.

Does this even count as General Discussion? I don't know.

#2 Posted by HerbieBug (4197 posts) -

I really am a sentient plushy teacup.

#3 Edited by handlas (2643 posts) -

Because most people don't want to post pictures of themselves on websites...unless its facebook or something where it's only your friends.

My profile pic is totally me tho...totally.

#4 Posted by Brendan (7670 posts) -

I use a picture of myself. I figured that since I jumped on the site early enough to get my actual name as my username, I might as well go whole hog and put my face up as well.

#5 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

I AM SAD AND ALSO A ROBOT.

BEEP BOOP

#6 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I have never really thought about using a picture of myself. I'm so used to the one I currently have that I doubt I'll ever change it.

#7 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

I think this is how it is on any internet forum pretty much, at least any forum I have been to.

#8 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Because we're an ugly bunch of bastards.

#9 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

Yeah, I think it's the norm to not use a pic of yourself. I'm surprised you feel otherwise. I feel like, including myself, there's a decent number here who do use their own face.

#10 Posted by PenguinDust (12443 posts) -

My profile pic is the same image I've been using here and on other websites for nearly a decade now. It's just tradition at this point.

Also, I'd be mortified if someone recognized me from my pic. I might have to start up a real conversation. This is a playground. Let me enjoy my anonymity.

#11 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

It's 'cause I'm ugly.

And I don't want any potential employers finding out what my dumbass does on the internet.

#12 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Cause its not Facebook.

#13 Posted by bobafettjm (1398 posts) -

I use my virtual Xbox 360 avatar version of myself, does that count?

#14 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1865 posts) -

what for? this isn't facebook.

#15 Edited by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

I don't have pictures of myself on the Internet. Not even on Facebook. I'm not gonna start here.

Actually, I don't think I even have a picture of myself in real life. I never liked having my face on a picture.

Edit: Also, of course, I'm Batman.

#16 Posted by Slag (3923 posts) -

Because the risk of potential bad stuff outweighs the benefit of what good stuff might happen from doing so.

Also that's boring.

And Dinosaurs!

#17 Posted by TheHumanDove (2505 posts) -

A GB thing? Do you even internet?

#18 Posted by BaconGames (3285 posts) -

@Slag said:

Because the risk of potential bad stuff outweighs the benefit of what good stuff might happen from doing so.

Also that's boring.

And Dinosaurs!

You're right, it's boring and dinosaurs are cooler.

#19 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

Because that is boring. You can put anything there, why settle on yourself? I like seeing what people choose to represent themselves.

#20 Posted by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -

Mushroom clouds are much preferable to my ugly mug, believe me.

#21 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

Because we are ugly

#22 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I don't think it's a GB thing, more of a Internet thing.

#23 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

I pimp rides

#24 Edited by believer258 (11570 posts) -

Most people do not use their own faces as avatars or profile pics or whatever on any forum I've ever been on.

EDIT: Unless you count Facebook as a forum, but that's a thing for you and your friends.

#25 Posted by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

I don't want to pull double-duty as my own avatar.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (35849 posts) -

I'm not comfortable showing my face.

#27 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1961 posts) -

But I am Kane! I'm taking a break from the whole world domination game to chill in forums and stuff. Didn't you see the end of C&C 4? I went on vacation!

#28 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

It's because almost everybody on GiantBomb is a cute girl, and doesn't want to get molested.

#29 Posted by PhilipDuck (530 posts) -

I like to use my own picture, puts a face to the name, which is always nice, i don't feel i need to hide myself from you guys haha

#30 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

Because I don't like myself, and Plague Dogs is fucked.

I totally forgot that was my profile pic.

#31 Edited by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

Becauuuuuuuse I'm totally Holo ~!

#32 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I do.

#33 Posted by musclerider (587 posts) -

Meep?

#34 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4522 posts) -

@Seppli said:

It's because almost everybody on GiantBomb is a cute girl, and doesn't want to get molested.

says the supple bottomed apple.

#35 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

Becauuuuuuuse I'm totally Holo ~!

Where do you live again?

#36 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

I am Cakka Carrot Cake! A real super sand legend!

#37 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Slag said:

Also that's boring.

And Dinosaurs!

I don't think there are any good or bad things really. A serial killer isn't going to track you down based on 1000 pixels worth of your face. Much easier ways for me to fin.. us to... for them to find you!

#38 Posted by Cerevisiae (75 posts) -

Well, I only go to two other forums: The Escapist (deal with it) and my TF2 clan's forum. Pretty much no one uses their own picture there either. I thought about putting myself on my Escapist account once, but it just seemed kind of vain.

#39 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4907 posts) -

What are you talking about? This is totally a picture of me. Don't be crazy.

#40 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Brendan said:

I use a picture of myself. I figured that since I jumped on the site early enough to get my actual name as my username, I might as well go whole hog and put my face up as well.

Wow, that's really you? I totally hate you now.

#41 Posted by konig_kei (595 posts) -

Self esteem in this thread is at an all time low.

#42 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Because I am ugly as sin.

#43 Posted by Mikemcn (6942 posts) -

Because this isn't facebook, we're here to discuss gaming related stuff, not make friends, it shouldn't matter what we look like. Also, Capt. Price looks like Mario, thats great.

#44 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Because that would be boring!

#45 Posted by leebmx (2211 posts) -

Pretty sure there is a forum thread somewhere with people posting their real picture.

I just think that it is a site about video games where avatars and alternate personalities rule supreme. Stands to reason people would have random shit as their profile picture.

Also, in a weird way, I find I am suspicious of people that put their real picture up. Its probably not fair, it jutssmakes me wonder why they do it - why do you want everyone to see your face?

#46 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -

Obviously my avatar is of myself.

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

I can't speak for other parts of the world but where I live we have this thing called a pretty license. Each year you have to go get your prettiness tested and if you are a class five pretty or higher it's against the law to post real photos of yourself as your prettiness just makes other people feel bad about themselves. I'm a class 8 so for someone of my ranking it would be a death penalty to break said law. It's ok to do so in PM's, but not on any kind of public forums like posting in a thread or using an avatar. It's tough being pretty, but it's my cross to bear.

#48 Posted by golguin (3838 posts) -

I've been using Prinny Kurtis since I had the option of using an image so I guess it's been around 10 years? My real picture can be found in that picture thread and it was a full body pic.

#49 Posted by Galiant (2176 posts) -

Because 'Cool Budgie'.

#50 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (991 posts) -

I feel like my avatar is more representative of my typical mental state than any picture of myself ever would be.