Why Fanboyism?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

I been thinking about fanboys for a bit and started to wonder what motivates them?  Now I know that people’s definition of fanboy is different, but I consider a fanboy as someone who blindly defends one company while at the same time totally disregards a rival company despite the quality of their products.  

Now as a kid, I grew up a total Nintendo fanboy.  I loved the NES, and bought everything Nintendo.  Of course, this also meant that I hated all things Sega, and totally wrote off the TurboGrafx-16.  This was great for the NES era, because, uh, well—Nintendo did no wrong.   Nintendo’s light gun was cooler than Sega’s light gun, Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy was better than Phantasy Star, Mario and Zelda were better than practically everything—done, end of story.  This continued through the 16-bit area for me as well.

It was only during the N64 era did my fanboyism start to falter.  I was defending Nintendo’s decision to stick with carts instead of CD’s saying things like “carts are faster”, “Nintendo has this crazy compression thing going so they can put a CD game onto a cart”, “developers don’t need the space of a CD anyway”—then Final Fantasy VII was announced for the PS1 and I was shocked.  I was so mad I e-mailed Nintendo asking how they could let this happen.  The summer before FFVII came out, I had a summer job a reluctantly decided to get a PS1 to prepare for the launch of FFVII.  I initially felt dirty—how could I get a non-Nintendo console?  But after a bit, I started to come around.  Resident evil was fun, Castlevania:  Symphony of the Night was fantastic, Metal Gear Solid was awesome, and of course FFVII kicked ass.  While I loved my N64, I was really appreciating having multi-consoles.  I no longer had to take sides.

The next generation, I was out of college and was making some money, and I started to branch out.  I got the Dreamcast, then the PS2, then the Gamecube, and even got an X-Box.  I was living the dream. 

This gen, I have all 3 systems, and love them all for their strengths and weaknesses.  Now today with the Internet and the message boards, it seems like the console war is as heated as it’s ever been.  A person who has a 360 bashes the PS3.  PS3 fanboys apparently hate Halo and FPS’s.  Wii users….well, they are saying some of the crazy things I was saying about the N64:  “well, the Revolution doesn’t have to do 720p like the 360, so games will look the same on a SD TV”, “You can’t tell the difference between a Wii game and a 360 game on a SD TV anyway”, “Nintendo is making Mature games now—for the hardcore”. 

I think that this blind loyalty to a single console and whatever games they have stems from the fact that gaming is expensive and most kids can only afford one console.  I mean $200 for an entry level 360 is still a lot for a kid.  So I can understand why they are trying to validate their purchase by undermining the competition—because the worst thing would be to spend all this money, and have your console fail (like the TG-16, or Jaguar, or..sigh…Dreamcast).  This would mean, of course, that the people who are the blind fanboys screaming how IGN is getting paid by Micro$oft, or Sony is buying Killzone 2 reviews, or everyone is teh biased against Nintendo is a single console owner.  This also assumes that crazy fanboys are a bit younger and can’t afford to go multi-console.  I wonder if this is true?  I have no data to back up this claim—I’m just keyboarding here.  Is fanboyism rooted in an economic divide, and not just brand loyalty and nostalgia?  Are people with multiple consoles still as defensive of their PS3 as a dude with ONLY as PS3?  Now that I’m a bit older and working/making money—I really couldn’t care about the console war.  I just want great games for any system, and if I really need a game (I’m looking at you Metal Gear Solid 4), I’ll get the system.  But if I still needed my parents to supply me with my gaming fix, I would probably only have one expensive as hell system and would be defending it to my last breath.

Perhaps only when the different consoles are all bargain bin prices and we're all rich thanks to the new Obama'ized economy will we have internet peace...that is until you go on a movies forum.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCGamer

I been thinking about fanboys for a bit and started to wonder what motivates them?  Now I know that people’s definition of fanboy is different, but I consider a fanboy as someone who blindly defends one company while at the same time totally disregards a rival company despite the quality of their products.  

Now as a kid, I grew up a total Nintendo fanboy.  I loved the NES, and bought everything Nintendo.  Of course, this also meant that I hated all things Sega, and totally wrote off the TurboGrafx-16.  This was great for the NES era, because, uh, well—Nintendo did no wrong.   Nintendo’s light gun was cooler than Sega’s light gun, Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy was better than Phantasy Star, Mario and Zelda were better than practically everything—done, end of story.  This continued through the 16-bit area for me as well.

It was only during the N64 era did my fanboyism start to falter.  I was defending Nintendo’s decision to stick with carts instead of CD’s saying things like “carts are faster”, “Nintendo has this crazy compression thing going so they can put a CD game onto a cart”, “developers don’t need the space of a CD anyway”—then Final Fantasy VII was announced for the PS1 and I was shocked.  I was so mad I e-mailed Nintendo asking how they could let this happen.  The summer before FFVII came out, I had a summer job a reluctantly decided to get a PS1 to prepare for the launch of FFVII.  I initially felt dirty—how could I get a non-Nintendo console?  But after a bit, I started to come around.  Resident evil was fun, Castlevania:  Symphony of the Night was fantastic, Metal Gear Solid was awesome, and of course FFVII kicked ass.  While I loved my N64, I was really appreciating having multi-consoles.  I no longer had to take sides.

The next generation, I was out of college and was making some money, and I started to branch out.  I got the Dreamcast, then the PS2, then the Gamecube, and even got an X-Box.  I was living the dream. 

This gen, I have all 3 systems, and love them all for their strengths and weaknesses.  Now today with the Internet and the message boards, it seems like the console war is as heated as it’s ever been.  A person who has a 360 bashes the PS3.  PS3 fanboys apparently hate Halo and FPS’s.  Wii users….well, they are saying some of the crazy things I was saying about the N64:  “well, the Revolution doesn’t have to do 720p like the 360, so games will look the same on a SD TV”, “You can’t tell the difference between a Wii game and a 360 game on a SD TV anyway”, “Nintendo is making Mature games now—for the hardcore”. 

I think that this blind loyalty to a single console and whatever games they have stems from the fact that gaming is expensive and most kids can only afford one console.  I mean $200 for an entry level 360 is still a lot for a kid.  So I can understand why they are trying to validate their purchase by undermining the competition—because the worst thing would be to spend all this money, and have your console fail (like the TG-16, or Jaguar, or..sigh…Dreamcast).  This would mean, of course, that the people who are the blind fanboys screaming how IGN is getting paid by Micro$oft, or Sony is buying Killzone 2 reviews, or everyone is teh biased against Nintendo is a single console owner.  This also assumes that crazy fanboys are a bit younger and can’t afford to go multi-console.  I wonder if this is true?  I have no data to back up this claim—I’m just keyboarding here.  Is fanboyism rooted in an economic divide, and not just brand loyalty and nostalgia?  Are people with multiple consoles still as defensive of their PS3 as a dude with ONLY as PS3?  Now that I’m a bit older and working/making money—I really couldn’t care about the console war.  I just want great games for any system, and if I really need a game (I’m looking at you Metal Gear Solid 4), I’ll get the system.  But if I still needed my parents to supply me with my gaming fix, I would probably only have one expensive as hell system and would be defending it to my last breath.

Perhaps only when the different consoles are all bargain bin prices and we're all rich thanks to the new Obama'ized economy will we have internet peace...that is until you go on a movies forum.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I think it's pathetic when people complain and bitch about which video game console is better. Seriously, grow up people (not talking about you, TC). I've been playing the Xbox 360 for a little over a year now, but I'm dying to get a PS3 so I can play Killzone and MGS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

lol consoles
lolololololol

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By thordain

This is a fascinating read, well done sir.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By End_Boss

This is what motivates fanboys:

"I bought this system with my hard-earned money (or that of my parents'). I don't want to think for even a second that what I don't have is better than what I have. I made the right decision and anyone who bought the [insert competing console here] is wrong."

EDIT: which, after actually reading your post the whole way through, is exactly what you said. Well played, sir. But I have a backup plan, and it is this!

No Caption Provided

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

I believe fanbiyism is predominately rooted in a persons insatiable need to validate their purchase.  In order to defend that hill, it becomes necessary to denigrate anything on other consoles, as to otherwise, undermines that position.  It makes them feel better about themselves.

What I personally find most irritating in these never-ending console wars is the passive-aggressive commentary by 360/PS3 owners.  They try to portray themselves as mature because of what they play and that only a child could want to play Nintendo.  It goes as far as to claim (ridiculously) that the predominate ownership of a DS or Wii is about 12.  Of course this comment is simply self serving.  I don't believe that they are truly stupid enough to believe, it just gives them some elitist form of superiority.

I haven't got a 360 or PS3 so far this generation, yet I have 2 Wii (PAL & NTSC).  Simply put, the Wii is fulfilling my current requirements for entertainment.  I have got my eye on some cheap 360 games that I may get before I get the console (Blue Dragon in particualr).  The PS3 hasn't got a single console seller game for me yet, and I won't spend $700 on it.  Drop the price and get a game I care about (FF XIII) and I am there.  Then I will build a catalogue of cheap games, exactly as I did with the PS2 (check my list to see that).

If Wii owners get defensive, it is simply an  end result of constant attacks.  Seems fair enough.  I am too old to give a large rodent's behind to care.  A real mature gamer will play all genres, even ones with colour as  opposed to browns and greys.  Just as tribalism is ingrained into humanity, console wars is just another tribal behaviour.  It will never go away.

Good read by the way.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thiago

I think fanboyism is partially incited by the companies themselves, supported by the media and followed by individuals. It stems from the need for some companies to prove themselves. They are like insecure men that needs to brag about everything they do, the car they drive, how many girls they stay with, etc. They need others to believe into something they don't believe themselves.

For example, Microsoft is not known for videogames. So Microsoft is the "insecure guy" of this generation. It purposefully magnifies every little thing to make them look more than they actually are. And hide all the bad stuff. Also the insecure guy is always measuring itself against others. Sony and Nintendo have nothing to prove. Both are well known companies who created the greatest successes in the videogame history. So Sony is more like the "self-assured guy" who doesn't feel the need to give satisfaction to anybody else about what he does.

Also in this case a considerable portion of the so called "games media" jumped ship and started believing in the "insecure guy". So that's why you see people going out of their way to prove the 360 is better than the Wii or the PS3. They are not reporting facts, they have an agenda. Would they need to prove anything if it was indeed better?

It is difficult to explain the bias, I think examples are better to demonstrate how it works. For example, some time in January or December the data about game sales was released from NPD, several sites started going over it. So they said MGS4 had sold only 1,4 million or something around that. Immediately the responses were "Oh my God, this is bad" and so on. Some even suggested that a release for the 360 was imminent, because it was such a failure that Konami would have no option. Well, a few weeks later Konami released its data and showed they sold over 5 million units of MGS4 in 6 months and it was the main reason for the increase of revenue they had in 2008. Do you see what happens?

Another example. Some sites love to put comparisons of graphics between different systems. Whoever grew in the 8 and 16 bit era knows that graphics differences are obvious. Did you ever compare a Nintendo 8 bit with Genesis? Or Genesis with Super Nintendo? The difference was obvious. But the systems today don't show that difference. Why is that? Regardless of the lack of differences in multiplatform games the sites insist in placing one system as better than the other. The differences pointed by the said sites could be explained by how the different videocards render the scene, or the brightness or TV configuration, or even options disabled in the console configuration, like Full RGB or superwhite, or even the method used to connect it to the TV (HDMI, component, etc). The noise generated around it is not proportional to the so called "differences" in the games. See?

Of course it reflects on the consumers. Some will play the fanboy game because they are on the "insecure guy" side, and by extension they act "insecure" as well. They need to prove it. And after so much nonsense it is impossible for the others to stay quiet, so they will react to the "insecure guy" minions and will defend their systems because they honestly don't see things that way.

So today I think the biggest trolls and fanboys are the 360 users. The other consumers are just on the defensive position, trying to argue against an avalanche of nonsense put out by the so called media.

A person once gave me an explanation for such attitude from the media and predominantly American public that I think it makes sense. It is a kind of protectionism. In other words, they know that American videogames don't have success out of the US, at least not as much as the competition, and so they go out of their way to bash Sony as much as they can. It is a kind of a "revenge" thing, they try to do in the US what they believe to happen in Japan or elsewhere. Also, some American companies receive "special treatment", because their aren't scrutinized as much as companies from other countries, for example Rockstar with its GTA4. It was given 10s. Killzone 2, a game from Sony and developed by a Dutch developer, had every inch of it scrutinized and every "bad texture" was reason enough to take points from it. So in the end the American "games media" serves as a kind of promoter of the American games industry.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'm not a fanboy of consoles, never has one swayed me more than the other.  If anything, I'm a fanboy of the individual games.
Most fanboys fail to recognize why they like the console so much-- it's just the games that are on it.

Go where the games go.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Ujio

The term fanboy has been abused way too much (ironically by fanboys). Even people that aren't fanboys get branded as such (again, ironically by other true fanboys) because they might have something "unfavoring" to say about the competition. I've seen people make rational and well thought out comments only to have some dipshit waltz along and yell "fanboy" simply because they didn't like what that person had to say. To me the term "fanboy" is synomous with "ignorance." I don't believe a person who supports only one console is a fanboy because they probably have rational reasons as to why, or even two consoles.

For me I support Sony and the reasons are myriad. I did own a 360 for just short of two years BEFORE I bought a PS3. Now immediately a "fanboy" would label me such because of how I started this paragraph. It doesn't matter that I followed up with owning a 360 for almost two years. I've already been branded a fanboy in the eyes of that person regardless of actual FACTS to my cause or reasoning. That's what a fanboy does. They're not interested in understanding or getting to know the why's, all they care about is if you agree with them.

Another character trait of fanboys is their inability to rationalize. It's like arguing with a drunk. You can present facts to support your claims but in the eyes of a fanboy that's "meaningless propaganda." It's really astounding these people that get on the Internet and argue like infants over a console. It makes me wonder how these people (who are obviously schizophrenic) make due in the real world because as of yet I haven't met anyone in the real world that behaves as childish or irrational as they do. Amazing the power that anonymity grants, huh?

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tekmojo
Ujio said:
"The term fanboy has been abused way too much. Even people that aren't get branded a fanboy (ironically from other fanboys) because they might have something "unfavoring" to say about the competition. I've seen people make rational minded comments only to have some dipshit waltz along and yell "fanboy" simply because they didn't like what that person had to say. To me the term "fanboy" is synomous with "ignorance." I don't belive a person who supports only one console is a fanboy because they probably have rational reason as to why. For me I support Sony and the reasons are myriad. I did own a 360 for just short of two years BEFORE I bought a PS3. Now, immediately a "fanboy" would label me such because of how I started this paragraph. It doesn't matter that I followed up with owning a 360 for almost two years. I've already been branded a fanboy regardless of actual FACTS to my cause or reasoning. That's a fanboy does.Another character trait of fanboys is their inability to rationalize. It's like arguing with a drunk. You can present facts to support your claims but in the eyes of a fanboy that's "meaningless propaganda." It's really astounding these people that get on the Internet and argue like infants over a console. It makes me wonder how this people (who are obviously schizophrenic) make due in the real world because as of yet I haven't met anyone in the real world that behaves as childish or irrational as they do. Amazing the power that anonymity grants, huh?"
+1 -  Nail on the head
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

This blog is win. +1

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
thiago said:
"

For example, Microsoft is not known for videogames. So Microsoft is the "insecure guy" of this generation. It purposefully magnifies every little thing to make them look more than they actually are. And hide all the bad stuff. Also the insecure guy is always measuring itself against others. Sony and Nintendo have nothing to prove. Both are well known companies who created the greatest successes in the videogame history. So Sony is more like the "self-assured guy" who doesn't feel the need to give satisfaction to anybody else about what he does.

Also in this case a considerable portion of the so called "games media" jumped ship and started believing in the "insecure guy". So that's why you see people going out of their way to prove the 360 is better than the Wii or the PS3. They are not reporting facts, they have an agenda. Would they need to prove anything if it was indeed better?

Are you really that out of touch?  Microsoft's been here since 2001.  That's almost 8 years already.
Did you say the same thing when the Ps2 was about 1/3 lifespan? >.>

In general, as far as companies go, it completely boils down to this.  Microsoft realizes that people will buy a 360 for games.  They pretty much realize they need to get the most and best games on the console, end of discussion.  In that, they also look for ways of expanding with other features.  Sony still knows this, but is using the Ps3 to push their own agenda.  They pretty much made the Ps3 a Sony Box this generation, although they fixed that in 2008.  Still are forgetting that games are the most important thing.  Nintendo is just completely out of it yet doing great by essentially casual hype.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I honestly think that nostalgia is the primary factor that contributes to fanboyism of any type.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bullet_Jr said:
"I honestly think that nostalgia is the primary factor that contributes to fanboyism of any type."
Who gets nostalgic about the Xbox?
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Rating -4 [ + ] [ - ]

Well I thought it was funny. :P
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JCGamer
TeflonBilly said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"I honestly think that nostalgia is the primary factor that contributes to fanboyism of any type."
Who gets nostalgic about the Xbox?"
The same people that refer to the N64 as the "old Nintendo"
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
JCGamer said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"
Lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JCGamer said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"
:(
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JCGamer
oldschool said:
"I believe fanbiyism is predominately rooted in a persons insatiable need to validate their purchase.  In order to defend that hill, it becomes necessary to denigrate anything on other consoles, as to otherwise, undermines that position.  It makes them feel better about themselves."

I also think that a lot of people read reviews like that--movies or games.  It seems like fanboys already made up their mind about about a product (regardless if they played/seen the thing or not) and then read a review to validate those ideas.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By oldschool
JCGamer said:
"oldschool said:
"I believe fanbiyism is predominately rooted in a persons insatiable need to validate their purchase.  In order to defend that hill, it becomes necessary to denigrate anything on other consoles, as to otherwise, undermines that position.  It makes them feel better about themselves."

I also think that a lot of people read reviews like that--movies or games.  It seems like fanboys already made up their mind about about a product (regardless if they played/seen the thing or not) and then read a review to validate those ideas.
"
It's all a bit self fulfilling isn't it.  I really get a laugh at people who claim how great a game is, even though it hasn't been released yet - now that is fanboyism.  The there is the type that run screaming across the internet, like Germany across Europe, shouting to all who don't really care anyway, that the reviewer is an idiot, or bought off, or didn't play the game or (the best one) just doesn't get the brilliance.

That aspect of fanboyism is a great spectator sport.

I think there is a good game and obvious movie out there to be made:

Fanboy.

Reviewers criticised his favourite game series, giving it a poor score and now Fanboy is pissed.  He won't be satisfied until their blood cleanses his anger.  One by one he hunts down the transgressors, killing them in ways direct from his favoutite games.  Will Buffy the Fanboy Slayer save the day?  The ending will shock you.

I think it should be made by Uwe Bolle.