#1 Edited by MrHadouken (194 posts) -

Something similar to gamefly's unlimited PC streaming? I guess it would be difficult to create or even regulate properly. With game rentals now pretty much gone besides redbox, sounds like something gamefly could do well with.

#3 Posted by MrHadouken (194 posts) -

Well that settles it, close it down lets go home.

#4 Posted by Thedrbrian (66 posts) -
#5 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

It will be a rip off from Microsoft. Similar to how their digital deals suck for the most part. Closed source streaming won't grow unless their is competition.

#6 Posted by crithon (3338 posts) -

Even when Gaikai and OnLive came out they had some really poor latency and artifacting. But even still they had poor business models of paying for a service and then hoping you would buy the game after playing demos. And that was less then 3 years ago.

#7 Edited by MrHadouken (194 posts) -

What about downloading? Say there's a gamefly app on the xbox or PS, you pay a monthly fee to download a game at a time for say a 2 week period, after that the download is deactivated, but you can download it as many times as you want?!? That should rid all latency issues.

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -

Sega tried it in the MegaDrive days with the Sega Channel, way before its time.

#9 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@crithon said:

Even when Gaikai and OnLive came out they had some really poor latency and artifacting. But even still they had poor business models of paying for a service and then hoping you would buy the game after playing demos. And that was less then 3 years ago.

Gaikai back hen was much more advanced than onlive and the lag was barely noticeable. I am have hopes for Playstation now in this regard.

#10 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

I really hope Playstation now works out. There's a lot of potential there and I'd love to see it at least moderately realized.

#11 Edited by noizy (681 posts) -

@mrhadouken said:

What about downloading? Say there's a gamefly app on the xbox or PS, you pay a monthly fee to download a game at a time for say a 2 week period, after that the download is deactivated, but you can download it as many times as you want?!? That should rid all latency issues.

Yea. Steam does "Free Weekends" where some games can be downloaded in full and played on your computer. Normally it's multi-player games where it's a hook to get you to buy it and keep playing. But technically there's nothing really stopping them. I think publishers would be most worried. They're busting their balls trying to get people to keep the disc from going into the used market with DLCs and multiplayer. Allowing a digital rental platform, where there is no shortage of discs to go around,. probably seems like revenue losses where everyone will rent single player games at launch, rush through them over a weekend, and never buy it, generating a few dollars rather than their expected full 60. They could perhaps limit this rental to "older" gamers. That's kind of why PlayStation Plus is a thing, as it relies on older titles.

#12 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

ISP data caps and local internet speed all get in the way, as well. EA announced that they're actually cancelling the release of Titanfall in South Africa because the network performance is apparently that abysmal.