#1 Posted by anab0lic (4 posts) -

I believe there may be one coming for IOS.... but why not 3DS or vita? There was a huge amount of love for the original... and with the success of games like Fire Emblem there is obviously still a huge market for tactical turn based JRPG's like that (which IMO play best on handhelds.) And since games like this don't tend to have gigantic development costs like other AAA games do you wouldn't need to sell bazillions to make a good profit... seems like an obvious thing to cash in on to me...

#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

GOD WHO KNOWS.

As I've said before, nothing shows more how incompetent Square Enix is now then that there isn't a real FFT 2.

And even though they did make FFT sequels, they changed the basic setting, story, and formula quite a bit for them (and I hated the changes). But they are willing to remake FFT like 6 times. I will never understand it.

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5723 posts) -

FFT's biggest strength is it's story/characters (which can be summed up as just Delita); a new game would just be iterative on the same formula which you can find in a thousand other places so if it was going to rival the original game you'd have to have a similar caliber of story and the chances of that happening is quite slim. However, anything set in Ivalice is desirable so I'm still all for it.

From a business sense FFT sells better than most other Tactical RPGs but worse than most other main FF series games; so they don't have a ton of reason to make one. Of course they have absolutely no reason not to just remake Final Fantasy 7 every year with very small differences since it has proven to be successful with various other series and there's no doubt the first remake would be huge (note: I'd rather see an FFT sequel than an FF7 remake).

#4 Posted by EuanDewar (5030 posts) -

Double Fine's new game Massive Chalice, while very clearly taking XCOM as it's main inspiration, also seems very FF Tactics-y. For sure it is way more melee focused in the same sense as FFT. If word on it is positive you should check that game out when it gets released. I've been watching a lot of their livestreams and whatnot they've been doing during development of the game and they certainly seem to have all the right ideas.

#5 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -
@fredchuckdave said:

From a business sense FFT sells better than most other Tactical RPGs but worse than most other main FF series games; so they don't have a ton of reason to make one.

Except the budgets would be wildly different. It wouldn't take as much money to make a new proper FFT as it would to make another FF 13 dress up mode/sequel for all major consoles like they keep doing, and it wouldn't need to sell as many copies either. It could be a downloadable for consoles, PC, Apple products.

#6 Posted by anab0lic (4 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

From a business sense FFT sells better than most other Tactical RPGs but worse than most other main FF series games; so they don't have a ton of reason to make one.

Except the budgets would be wildly different. It wouldn't take as much money to make a new proper FFT as it would to make another FF 13 dress up mode/sequel for all major consoles like they keep doing, and it wouldn't need to sell as many copies either. It could be a downloadable for consoles, PC, Apple products.

Yeah and to add to this I'm not really sure an AMAZING story is a necessity in games like this, while its nice to have that, the primary draw for me at least was always the amount of tactical depth the combat had and how customizable your party was with all the different job classes, weapons etc etc....

#7 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

@anab0lic said:

@artisanbreads said:
@fredchuckdave said:

Yeah and to add to this I'm not really sure an AMAZING story is a necessity in games like this, while its nice to have that, the primary draw for me at least was always the amount of tactical depth the combat had and how customizable your party was with all the different job classes, weapons etc etc....

I think the story is part of what makes FFT that special but I do agree. A serviceable story wouldn't make me hate the game. I really enjoyed Tactics Ogre Knights of Lodis for example on GBA and didn't think the story was memorable at all.

#8 Posted by oldenglishC (977 posts) -

Square hasn't shown anything in the past ten years that makes me think they could pull it off. Luckily, there are a bunch of really good TRPGs that are already available for the current handhelds.

Since we're on the topic of handheld TPRGs, someone needs to get off their ass and localize the Yggdra Union sequel.

#9 Posted by cloudymusic (1161 posts) -
#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5723 posts) -

@anab0lic: If the story's not there the game is just another tactical RPG, of which there are hundreds upon hundreds in the exact same vein as FFT.

@artisanbreads: Somehow I don't think the budget for Lightning Returns was all that impressive. But in general Square hasn't really touched the download-only game market, there's no way you're getting an official FFT sequel for less than 40 bucks.

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4639 posts) -
#12 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I don't know what the budget was, but it just has to be a lot more (full 3D and all).

And I agree with what you say about Square not being in the download market which is why I find them to be such a sad and behind the times company.

#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5723 posts) -

@babychoochoo: There's nothing more appealing than a spiky-haired boring character.

#14 Posted by Marcsman (3235 posts) -

Square has their head up their ass. Or most likely they don't give two shits what their customers want.

#15 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

I think it's an issue of opportunity cost. Why pay a small team of say 30 people to make a small game that'll bring in a small amount of revenue when you can merge that team with a larger team to make a much bigger game that brings in much more revenue? The revenue per worker is probably better on the bigger game. There is probably some management scientist somewhere in Japan looking at spread sheets deciding how to allocate the money and workers available and that's kind of sad and soulless.

On the topic of FFT, is War of the Lions on PSP a remake or a sequel? I thought it was a remake but when I played the first few missions it seemed like it was assuming you knew what was going on. It also wasn't any good, which is not what people say about FFT.

#16 Posted by Petiew (1353 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I don't know what the budget was, but it just has to be a lot more (full 3D and all).

The XIII sequels had a ton of reused assets. I imagine they were much cheaper to make than building an entirely new game from the ground up.

#17 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11914 posts) -

On the topic of FFT, is War of the Lions on PSP a remake or a sequel? I thought it was a remake but when I played the first few missions it seemed like it was assuming you knew what was going on. It also wasn't any good, which is not what people say about FFT.

It's a remake, and nope, that's the secret about Final Fantasy Tactics: It takes its sweet time to become the game that everyone so loves and since it came out in 1997 it can get away with not explaining its systems. The PSP remake of Tactics Ogre is similarly bad on that front.

#18 Edited by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

Did FFTA and FFTA2 sell very well? I dunno, wouldn't surprise me, since I thought the setting and story was pretty garbage for the first one (never played the second). The...rules/judge system was a weird twist, but I'd just rather it not be there.

It does seem crazy that of all the RPGs Square Enix still puts out, they haven't tried to do another FF Tactics game on the DS, PSP, 3DS, or Vita.

#19 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

@petiew said:
@artisanbreads said:

The XIII sequels had a ton of reused assets. I imagine they were much cheaper to make than building an entirely new game from the ground up.

It's still a 3D open game, AAA in scope. I don't think you're right.

#20 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

It's a remake, and nope, that's the secret about Final Fantasy Tactics: It takes its sweet time to become the game that everyone so loves and since it came out in 1997 it can get away with not explaining its systems. The PSP remake of Tactics Ogre is similarly bad on that front.

Cool. I can continue to not care about FFT then. It's pretty much identical to Jeanne d'Arc except that game is good from the very beginning.

#21 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

Cool. I can continue to not care about FFT then. It's pretty much identical to Jeanne d'Arc except that game is good from the very beginning.

Uh no, but okay dude.

#22 Edited by Veektarius (4921 posts) -

I hated the sequels to FFT. That's probably why they don't make mroe.

#23 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6311 posts) -

No idea, but I'm hoping Bravely Default is a sign Square is ready to return to RPG form. I don't care if they develop another Tactics game, but I'd like to see them do another turn-based tactical RPG of a similar scope. With the modern hardware emphasizing games smaller in scope, maybe a nudget Square RPG line might appear.

#24 Posted by futurstock (147 posts) -

with some really beautiful 2d painted art like a Bastion or Muramasa: The Demon Blade
i think that'd be really cool. i loved how many jobs there were, crazy 1 offs like time travelers!
man, that was a cool game, wasnt cloud randomly in it?!

#25 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5723 posts) -

Oh, since it hasn't been mentioned I'd really like to see an extremely long Front Mission game; it's much easier to write a good story for since the world is such a realistic vision of the future diplomatically.

#26 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@cloudymusic said:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is probably the closest you'll get.

I'd certainly not turn down another game in that vein with added FF trappings, though.

Not to be a pedant, but technically Tactics Ogre is the direct predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics, whilst the latter is its spiritual successor. Both are games by the same development team, but chronologically Tactics Ogre came before Final Fantasy Tactics. Sure, Let Us Cling Together touches up the original Tactics Ogre experience quite a bit, but at its core it's still the game that came before Final Fantasy Tactics.

More ontopic, I'd absolutely love a new Final Fantasy Tactics, albeit I'd like to see the genre move forward mechanically, rather than just have *more* of it. Personally, I'd love a modern warfare take on the the turnbased strategy RPG, in the vein of Jagged Alliance. If only EA would do a tactics spin-off to the Battlefield franchise, recycling Battlefield assets to keep the cost low. Oh my!

Maybe just make it play like an RTS, but it's like segmented into 5 second bits, with active shooting like Valkyria Chronicles. Max movement is how far you could get in 5 seconds. Whatever time you don't spend on movement you can use to actively take shots. Simulateous movement of both factions.

#27 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (636 posts) -
#28 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@cloudymusic said:

I'd certainly not turn down another game in that vein with added FF trappings, though.

Not to be a pedant, but technically Tactics Ogre is the direct predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics, whilst the latter is its spiritual successor. Both are games by the same development team, but chronologically Tactics Ogre came before Final Fantasy Tactics. Sure, Let Us Cling Together touches up the Tactics Ogre experience quite a bit, but at its core it's still the game that came before Final Fantasy Tactics.

More ontopic, I'd absolutely love a new Final Fantasy Tactics, albeit I'd like to see the genre move forward mechanically, rather than just have *more* of it. Personally, I'd love a modern warfare take on the the turnbased strategy RPG, in the vein of Jagged Alliance. If only EA would do a tactics spin-off to the Battlefield franchise, recycling Battlefield assets to keep the cost low. Oh my!

Maybe just make it play like an RTS, but it's like segmented into 5 second bits, with active shooting like Valkyria Chronicles. Max movement is how far you could get in 5 seconds. Whatever time you don't spend on movement you can use to actively take shots. Simulateous movement of both factions.

#29 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -
#30 Edited by cloudymusic (1161 posts) -

@seppli said:

@cloudymusic said:

Not to be a pedant, but technically Tactics Ogre is the direct predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics, whilst the latter is its spiritual successor.

Yeah, I know that, but it's literally the only thing that I can find in terms of FFT-likes that has come out in the last few years (2010). (And yes, I know it's a remake of an older game, but that doesn't really change things.)