Why have I not actually played a Metal Gear game?

• 51 results
ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

I've read and seen so much stuff from video games that they come back to my mind when I start hearing other stuff that some how relates to it.

This week at school, my biology class has been studying genetics, and in one of my other classes, a student gave an oral presentation on her opinion of cloning. What game had come to my mind as a result? Metal Gear Solid.

I have already read the plot summary online, watched the cutscene and codec conversations on Youtube, and remember the theme of the first MGS being "gene." Though really, I only know the intricate details from the first game. All the others I just get the basic setup. So after hearing all this stuff about genes and cloning and what not, I decided I'd take another look at the game. 

So WHY, unlike just about everyone else, have I not gone to invest time in a Metal Gear game? Well, I'm undecided on something. 

Metal Gear is cutscene heavy. I pretty much watched all those cinematics as a movie, and I did like them. That's cool and all, but, I'm not sure if the gameplay is just serving as filler for the next cutscene. 

Now I'm already aware of cool interactive sequences in the first game. The Psycho Mantis battle and the Torture sequence mainly when I think about it. But outside of those moments, does the rest of the gameplay and up being, I dunno, boring? Or tedious. If the draw is the cutscenes, then why have it as a video game. The stuff is practically movie material. 

I'm not trying to criticise a highly regarded game series. I really want to know if the gameplay stays interesting and mixes things up enough to actually enjoy playing it. 

I hear tons of praise for the series, yet I heard the same thing for Halo, and I am not fond of that game. I heard such GREAT things about Halo, yet when I finally got the chance to play it, I didn't feel interested enough to keep going, rather underwhelmed. So, I guess I'm just being a bit cautious, since I don't want to waste my time on something that I won't enjoy as others. 

Could anyone maybe answer my question? Help sell me on the gameplay. The story and presentation I'm fine with, I just want to know if the gameplay stays interesting and isn't just there as filler until the next cutscene.

Much appreciated, Giant Bomb. 

EDIT: Okay, I've already come to my decision. I've got a PS1 emulator and I just finished downloading the MGS file (it'll be faster than waiting for Gamefly right now). I've decided to give it a try, so I'll post whether or not I like it or not in the next day or so. Thanks for the comments...most of you.    

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

I've read and seen so much stuff from video games that they come back to my mind when I start hearing other stuff that some how relates to it.

This week at school, my biology class has been studying genetics, and in one of my other classes, a student gave an oral presentation on her opinion of cloning. What game had come to my mind as a result? Metal Gear Solid.

I have already read the plot summary online, watched the cutscene and codec conversations on Youtube, and remember the theme of the first MGS being "gene." Though really, I only know the intricate details from the first game. All the others I just get the basic setup. So after hearing all this stuff about genes and cloning and what not, I decided I'd take another look at the game. 

So WHY, unlike just about everyone else, have I not gone to invest time in a Metal Gear game? Well, I'm undecided on something. 

Metal Gear is cutscene heavy. I pretty much watched all those cinematics as a movie, and I did like them. That's cool and all, but, I'm not sure if the gameplay is just serving as filler for the next cutscene. 

Now I'm already aware of cool interactive sequences in the first game. The Psycho Mantis battle and the Torture sequence mainly when I think about it. But outside of those moments, does the rest of the gameplay and up being, I dunno, boring? Or tedious. If the draw is the cutscenes, then why have it as a video game. The stuff is practically movie material. 

I'm not trying to criticise a highly regarded game series. I really want to know if the gameplay stays interesting and mixes things up enough to actually enjoy playing it. 

I hear tons of praise for the series, yet I heard the same thing for Halo, and I am not fond of that game. I heard such GREAT things about Halo, yet when I finally got the chance to play it, I didn't feel interested enough to keep going, rather underwhelmed. So, I guess I'm just being a bit cautious, since I don't want to waste my time on something that I won't enjoy as others. 

Could anyone maybe answer my question? Help sell me on the gameplay. The story and presentation I'm fine with, I just want to know if the gameplay stays interesting and isn't just there as filler until the next cutscene.

Much appreciated, Giant Bomb. 

EDIT: Okay, I've already come to my decision. I've got a PS1 emulator and I just finished downloading the MGS file (it'll be faster than waiting for Gamefly right now). I've decided to give it a try, so I'll post whether or not I like it or not in the next day or so. Thanks for the comments...most of you.    

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

You can play Metal Gear.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Evilsbane

Can't wait to see some responses I am pretty much in the same boat.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArcBorealis
@ThePhantomnaut said:
"You can play Metal Gear. "
I don't have an MSX.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Alaska_Gamer said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
"You can play Metal Gear. "
I don't have an MSX. "
Well too bad.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

Play MGS2 and that's it. Don't waste your time with 4.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By teptom

I've only played two-thirds the way through MGS2, so I'm with you. It was pretty fun, but I just never had an urge to go back to it or any other of the games.

SalazarCruz19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By SalazarCruz19

to be honest...when i first played metal gear it was the remake version of the first one on the game cube. All i gotta say is that game was awesome.... To answer your question...yes the game play is good. the only thing that bothered me was the overhead camera which took a little time getting used to especially if you played splinter cell before playing mgs. if your going to play any metal gear i would suggest you start with the game cube version...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

If you decide to get a Metal Gear game, don't expect too much. I picked up Metal Gear Solid 2, hailed by many as one of the best games of all time, and found it unplayable. The story seemed decent but the camera, the controls, just the overall feel of the gameplay... ugh. Such a terrible, terrible game.

I'm not saying you're going to hate the series -- a lot of people love it, so it must have some kind of weird appeal I just can't understand -- all I'm saying is don't get you hopes up. That way you can't get disappointed. You'll either hate it and go "Eh, wasn't expecting much anyway", or love it and go "Dude, this is a lot better than I expected. Awesome."

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

I have never had an interest in MGS but knew many raved about it, plus it got good reviews.  So I picked up Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance on the Xbox.  Lucky for me it was really cheap, as I played about 40 minutes or so and just got bored.  The stealth mechanic just didn't interest me.  I really can't see the attraction, but that is just me I guess as I don't doubt it is a very good game.  I went quickly back to a JRPG and brought my happiness levels back up  ^-^

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I can't help you... I've actually been meaning to play the Metal Gear games for a very long time. I actually own all of them except the Portable Ops and 4 (because I haven't bought a PS3). I'll get to it one day, but I need to find an SDTV to hook my PS2 up to... I can't force myself to play a PS1 game on an HDTV, it just looks so god damn aweful.

No Caption Provided
Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sil3n7
@Vinchenzo said:

" Play MGS2 and that's it. Don't waste your time with 4. "

Please refrain from ever commenting again. Your words only serve to mislead...
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By bed

ok, you're gonna hate me for this.  

I've beaten 1, my copy of MGS2 is defective (fucking Konami, it seems to be a problem with the essentials pack) and have not bought a new copy in months (DIEING TO PLAY IT), MGS3 is there waiting for me and I only installed MGS4, but haven't touched it yet. 

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The gameplay isn't so bad you should skip the games and story because of it, but if it really annoys you,. spend a week reading everything aboout the story then play 4

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArcBorealis

@addictedtopinescent said:

"The gameplay isn't so bad you should skip the games and story because of it, but if it really annoys you,. spend a week reading everything aboout the story then play 4 "

Guess I can't go wrong with that. Summary would be alot quicker than watching all the cutscenes, and 4's gameplay has me more interested than the one in earlier games. 
I'll think about it. I have Gamefly so I can get the games at anytime. 

Thanks for the replies.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

Download a finished save file of Metal Gear Solid 4 and copy it into your PS3 (you'll need a SD memory card and an SD memory card reader on your PS3, as well), then download the Metal Gear Solid Database on the PlayStation Network, then read all what the database offers.  Saves you time and money.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Emilio

Go play Metal Gear Solid on the PS or PC and then play Ghost Babel from the GameBoy Color.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Sil3n7: MGS4 sucks.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

I always enjoyed the gameplay in Metal Gear games. When it comes to sneaking and methodically hunting down the bad guys or running for you life, it can become a trial and error game, but I like those games too. The bosses aren't that hard, once you learn their pattern, but they do get progressively harder, so again, it becomes trial and error. I haven't played MGS4, but I did play all the others except the 2D versions. If you don't mind slow games and lots of sneaking around, I say go for it. The gameplay works well for what it does and it does take some skill or memorizing.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingclaw
@AjayRaz said:
" ok, you're gonna hate me for this.   I've beaten 1, my copy of MGS2 is defective (fucking Konami, it seems to be a problem with the essentials pack) and have not bought a new copy in months (DIEING TO PLAY IT), MGS3 is there waiting for me and I only installed MGS4, but haven't touched it yet.  "
Really,  your essential collection came defective?, oh god i´m worried. i bought it two months ago, and I was plannig to play it in chirstmas vacation now that i go back to my home. I hope myine be ok, i really want to play it.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By bed
@kingclaw: only MGS2. the rest worked fine. 
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW

I played a little bit of MGS2 & 3. I feel that is adequate. 

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sil3n7
@Vinchenzo said:
" @Sil3n7: MGS4 sucks. "
I'm sorry you have such bad taste and I hope you don't breed
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

STOP STOP STOP!!! 

I got to the part where you said, "...I'm not sure if the gameplay is just sering as a filler for the next cutscene." And then I almost lost it. That's completely not true at all, the why the game is so great. Amazing cutscenes AND amazing game play in one package? Well that's...amazing. That's what makes MGS4 such an amazing game.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Sil3n7: MGS4. Sucks.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Do you enjoy clunky and unforgiving stealth and combat mechanics enough to want to experience the story? Let me rephrase that: Do you hate yourself enough to play Metal Gear Solid? Because even though I have only played Twin Snakes and 3, I understand that all the games except for 4 are like that.

Ironknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ironknight

1 and 3 are the best and don't have to many cut scenes

OhdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By OhdK

4 is the easiest and most fun in terms of strict gameplay

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JJOR64

You guys made me post this:

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Alaska_Gamer:

You may be getting the chance to:

No Caption Provided

Nintendo have revealed their Japanese Virtual Console line-up for December. It's looking pretty slim due to the fact New Super Mario Bros Wii and Tales of Graces are due out next month in Japan. 

• Famicom Tantei Series Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo (Nintendo, Famicom, 500 WiiPoints)
  • Final Fight Tough (aka Final Fight 3, Capcom, Super Famicom, 800)
  • The King of Fighters '95 (D4, Neo Geo, 900)
  • Metal Gear (MSX, Konami, 800)
  • Yie Ar Koutei no Gyakushuu (MSX, Konami, 800)
  • Ordyne (Arcade, Namco Bandai, 800)
  • Rompers (Arcade, Namco Bandai, 800)
  • Zaxxon (Arcade, Sega, 500)        
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By atejas

I've played 2 and 3. Solid, that is, never just Gear.
They were....unique, I guess. Still didn't like them very much.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nasar7

You either hate MGS or you love it. I love all of them. As for the gameplay, different =/= bad.  

You said you have gamefly, just try it, it'll "waste" a week at most.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RsistncE
@Vinchenzo said:
" @Sil3n7: MGS4 sucks. "
Wow.

You suck.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By captain_clayman

how bout just play metal gear solid?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FunExplosions
@Alaska_Gamer: 
Lol at all these comments. I have played through all of the major console Metal Gear Solid games, and the gameplay is definitely not something that should be missed. For the most part, it's a goofy control scheme with some pretty basic stealth elements. You avoid the enemies' line of sight, don't make noise, snap their necks, and hide the bodies...unless they just disappear. A lot of the gameplay ties in to the story, though. Whether it's traversing the bulk of Shadow Moses in Metal Gear Solid 1, disabling Fatman's C4 and learning your way around the Big Shell in Metal Gear Solid 2, playing through some amazing sequences and memorable boss fights in Metal Gear Solid 3, or just enjoying all of the former, in an extremely brief, yet extremely enhanced way, in Metal Gear Solid 4. Aside from that blanketed list, though, the games are just games at their core. You still have that obsessive feeling of getting every single Dog Tag from every single enemy and boss in MGS2. The same with getting the best weapons, finding all the silencers/camouflages/other easter eggs. And if that's not enough, playing through any game is essential to the story, even if it is just running from point A to B. Running around the place, seeing the world, is part of any game's experience. As far as Metal Gear Solid 1 goes, among other things, you will miss out on sneaking into the compound for the first time, fighting Sniper Wolf, dealing with all of Psycho's bizarre shit, and the amazing battles with Liquid at the end of the game. And how can you feel any sort of threat from something such as Metal Gear Rex, when the only contact you had with it was seeing it shot up by a ninja? The other games have just as many distinguishable elements that make their gameplay worthwhile.

I should add that I am definitely not a huge Metal Gear fan, by any means. Recently, I have come to almost hate the Metal Gear Solid series. I think the writing is childish, overly extravagrant, and messy. I'm not saying I like the games for their gameplay... far from it. I'm just trying to express how big of a mistake it is to not play a video game. Hideo Kojima could have just made an anime, but he felt video games were the only medium capable of fully realizing his story.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shirogane

The gameplay in MGS games is quite a lot of fun at times, to the people who like it, those that don't absolutely hate it. In no way is it just a filler for cutscenes. MGS4 plays differently from the others, and it felt a bit like fillers for cutscenes in that case, somehow felt lacking compared to the other games. Sad, considering it was something i've been looking forward to since i finished MGS2. 

So yeah, try the games, if you hate it, you'll hate it, otherwise you'll love it, it's one of those.
munnyman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By munnyman5
@Evilsbane said:
" Can't wait to see some responses I am pretty much in the same boat. "
This.

I only ever watched a cousin of mine play one half of one level of Metal Gear Solid 3 or something. And that was it.
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 02sfraser

my first Metal Gear experience was on the Gamecube when i played the remake of the first game. feel in love with the series. i think it can be down to preference but i just found the story and cut-scenes to compelling that i couldn't stop. the stealth gameplay i also think is great since i don't think you get anything else really like it. i love the series but the fact you have researched it and know the outline of the story you probably could miss out and not feel so bad

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Evilsbane
@JJOR64: please tell me there is more of that, that was just fucking amazing.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJOR64
@Evilsbane: Sadly, that's it for now.  I don't think he has started on Metal Gear Awesome 3 yet.  For more of his stuff, check out egoraptor.net, his website.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoOneFive

i love the mgs gameplay. im craving some mgs3 right now. i cant wait for Peace Walker. the co-op in that game looks EXCELLENT

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By cstrang

I really liked MGS - MGS3.  I haven't played MGS4, as I don't have a PS3.  But the games are largely stealth, a little action, and awesome boss fights.  The stealth is pretty well done, the shooting was okay (it got better in 2 and 3).  You need to remember, though, that, at the end of the day, the subtitle is "tactial espionage action".

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sushbag
@Alaska_Gamer: Both Metal Gear Solid and Halo are two of the best video games ever made. If you don't understand why, then just play them already, and also remember the word "context" when you do so. You have to look at games against the backdrop of their time, the games they were compared against when they were released. And hell, with Halo you don't even really have to do that, it has never been bested by another console shooter in eight years.

@Icemael said:
" If you decide to get a Metal Gear game, don't expect too much. I picked up Metal Gear Solid 2, hailed by many as one of the best games of all time, and found it unplayable. The story seemed decent but the camera, the controls, just the overall feel of the gameplay... ugh. Such a terrible, terrible game.
Actually, MGS2 has some of the best controls in the history of 3D video games, alongside Mario 64 and Resident Evil 4. MGS2's characters flow and animate with silky smooth movements, and the controls themselves were sublime in their use of touch-sensitive functions, allowing for beautiful, natural fine control. The "feel" of MGS2 is unbeaten in my opinion by the other games in the series, it's just perfect. When I first played the demo I'd never played anything like it, the level of polish was astounding.

Anyway, when I read that stupid, nonsensical comment I had to reply. Not only are the controls/camera not bad, they are among the best in history. So, guess what? You're a dolt who has no business talking about games, you sack of lard.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EvilTwin

I would totally say yes.  The great thing about MGS games is that they always leave me wanting more.  By the time I really feel like I'm getting into the stealth mechanics of an MGS game, I'm approaching the ending (which, for any MGS game basically amounts to boss fight, cutscene, codec, cutscene, boss fight, cutscene, not that that's a bad thing). 

That's just me, though.  I found the first Splinter Cell game completely dull, so I have no idea if I really like stealth games, or if there's just something about the stealth in MGS that interests me. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Diamond

Discussion like this makes me sad.  Just so many people missing out on great game series.  Hearing the Giant Bomb crew say they hadn't played Chrono Trigger...  :(

Next you'll hear people saying they've never played Mario or Doom or Mega Man...

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I'm sorry, can you hear me grinding my teeth when i read this?.... NO NO NO my friend! You can't judge a game from the videos on YouTube, and yet there are many cutscenes in Metal Gear games, the action balances it, and it is truly epic and fun.

What can i say though. Some people think some games are just over-hyped. Metal Gear games could be one for some. You either like them or don't. Just like Halo, which i hate to be honest.

At least play the first one before you make a decision!

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hitchenson
@Vinchenzo said:

" Play MGS 1, 2 and (most of all) 3 and if possible 4 - they're all sweet games that definitely deserve a look. "

Fix'd.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By evanbrau

I hate cutscenes in 2 and 4 but the gameplay is awesome, its just unfortunate the gameplay segments are overcrowded with crap. This is what really dragged down four for me since for every time I was playing and having a blast there were huges tracts of time where I sat through and hour or so of horrible writing and cringe worthy plot. MGS1 and 3 are the definite high points in the series with 3 being one of my favourite games since it managed to be crammed with the awesome gameplay, even the cutscenes and story were good in a jokey kind of way. Granted I haven't played MGS 1 since I was young but I'm sure it still holds up.

My advice is play the gamecube remake of the MGS and then 3, read synopses of 2 and 4.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

I think its too late for people to get the full epic expereince of Metal Gear, those who have been following Snakes epic tale from PS1 or before that will know,
ive been playing since MGS1, when i played MGS4 and entered the microwave scene i actually thought wow, Snake been through alot of crap to get here hasnt he?

and when the Epic climactic battle came at the end i was thinking wow, its 20 years in the making, these 2 old bozos have been at war for this long, when the health bars poped up for both Snake and Liquid i saw myself playing one of the most epic game in history.

those up their ^^ saying MGS4 sucks, or its a boring movie obviously have been playing too much Halo or CoD, and do not appreciate Hideo Kojimas masterpeice. MGS4 for me is Game of the Year, if not, game of the GEN! 

and the online component is SUPER fun! the community is small but is still very fun to play with :)

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By regularassmilk
@Vinchenzo said:
" Play MGS2 and that's it. Don't waste your time with 4. "
Heh.