Why I won't be buying FFv13 if it goes multiplat.... Will you?

• 63 results
rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rubsnick

Please read the entire topic before posting.

As We all know FF13 was receive with mix feelings by gamers. (Famitsu loved it tough...), but overall everyone that I've talked to has said that the game sucks essentially.It's the one of the most linear games of this generation, for the most part you just move up and press x and can complete most of the game that way. It's rather pathetic ya know? Now we can blame the 360 for this as we can see in multiple articles the content was cut, A lot of it was cut ("enough to make another game")

We can see in the following articles-

http://gamersyndrome.com/2010/video-games/final-fantasy-xiii-plenty-of-deleted-content/

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/15/yoshinori-kitase-cut-final-fantasy-xiii-content-will-not-return/

We can or can't blame the 360, but I chose blame it, Not for such large content being cut but for the little things. Lets put it this way if you release a game on 5 DVD's on the xbox it would make the xbox look bad. So they cut out many little things to trim it down while the PS3's disc still had the storage. (I'm sticking with pure facts here and basing it off of that to please people) We know that all the older FF games had multiple easter eggs no matter how silly or out of place they where we still had little things like mini games and stuff. We can see that when

*semi-spoilers*

Raz and Vanille go to the amusement park

*end spoilers*

there was a perfect opportunity for a little gunslinger mini game or something to be put there (A la FF7 bike race). But it was more then likely cut due to disc space limitations. Little stuff like that makes the world of FF seem more alive. I'm a long time fan of the FF franchise and 12 and 13 where disappointments (I own them from 1 to 13 including 11)

I own 483 games as of this time, I'm a gamer first and foremost my first HD console was my Halo 3 green 360. I find that games that are exclusive to consoles are usually of more quality then games on multiple platforms. When I see my collection of PS3 and 360 games I have a large portion of exclusives, some of the highest rated games are exclusives, (Halo 3, Uncharted, Infamous, Mass Effect 2 (great RPG BTW).

The reason that I will boycott this is because it's Square Enix's show of greed and lack of care for their product, sure it will get great exposure but why didn't SE go multiplat last gen? They created FF10 which is one hell of a game and KH, Why didn't they go Multi last gen? It was feasible and even easier last gen due to the technology being incredibly similar. They didn't because they cared more for quality then for quantity. Now we are in the reverse, if SE does decide to go multiplat they will focus on making the same experience on the 360 and the PS3 making the PS3 suffer from cut content and lack of quality. They will devide their resources and delay the game up to a year (just like FF13) to make the game be released at the same time. Now if they opt to do a timed exclusive that would be much preferred since they can focus on the PS3 then cut crap out to make it fit on the 360. But as it stands people who wanted FFv13 already purchased their PS3's for it. (They where interested in many other games)

I own multiple consoles because when a developer focuses on one console they make a much better quality game. Lets take Fallout 3.... plagued with glitches left and right.... Anyway I won't buy it because this will be the last nail in the SE coffin for me, after the big disappointment that FF13 was for me I just don't feel "safe" spending $60 on a compromised game. I'm upset in general with SE that's the main reason for doing this. 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Wada said like earlier today that it was just an "off-the-cuff" remark, and I think Nomura would slit his own throat if it was on 360.

Either way, so long as they can prove neither version got gimped I don't think it's a big deal. I'll just be annoyed if Microsoft do a "shoulder-tap" moment around it at E3. I hate that.

RE XIII: I think it had more issues than not being a PS3 exclusive. Though we'll never know the full truth so it's pointless speculating.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

So stupid. More people enjoying a game, oh how dare you SE.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august

It's a good thing you put spoilers around the fact that two characters go to an amusement park. 

I mean that's game-ruining information right there.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho
@august said:
" It's a good thing you put spoilers around the fact that two characters go to an amusement park.  I mean that's game-ruining information right there. "
BUT YOU DIDNT
GAME RUINED
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By august
@ryanwho said:
" @august said:
" It's a good thing you put spoilers around the fact that two characters go to an amusement park.  I mean that's game-ruining information right there. "
BUT YOU DIDNT GAME RUINED "
I DIDN'T SAY WHICH ONES 

GAME SAVED!!!! :D
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godwind

Sqaure Enix has made plenty of exclusives that sucked.  Exclusives don't make a game better, good design choices.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Final Fantasy XII sucked just as much, and that had nothing to do with it being multiplatform.
Final Fantasy XIII would have sucked just as much if it were exclusive.

Porting the game to the 360 just means they'll make more money from the game and can therefore put more money into development. 

I don't buy into the theory that content had to be cut due to limitations, it would have been very easy to simply put the game onto more discs or better yet force us into installing certain content onto the console, ala Forza 3.  If games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 can fit onto the 360 without having to make sacrifices (most of which had better storytelling, pacing and character development), what was holding back FFXIII?  I blame the developers, not any particular console.

starmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By starmane

Yeah Im kind of pissed because  it did go Multi Console XBOX doesn't need FF....... I also heard that 13 was the last one...If so I blame Microsoft :)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
@WinterSnowblind: I'm consistently baffled by fools hating on FF12 yet love Dragon Age. Gets me every time.
Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Ashen
@rubsnick said:

"Now we can blame the 360 for this as we can see in multiple articles the content was cut, A lot of it was cut ("enough to make another game")"

I was going to read the entire post, but stopped here. Why is the game being mulitplatform being used for the reason it had a lukewarm critical response? Why are SE given a pass for FF13 just b/c it was multiplatform? SO many games, good games, have been multiplatform.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august

Just about every game ever made has tons of "cut" content. It's called "development."

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Most games cut content when its bad, and if it was good, they make it into DLC and release it later. FF13 will never release the cut content because it either doesn't exist, or it sucks.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Good luck! I agree with your feelings about FFXIII, still i don't think that the blame is on Microsoft. You have to realize that the game was initially thought for the ps2, so many constraints were put on because of it, not because of the Xbox.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ryanwho said:

" @WinterSnowblind: I'm consistently baffled by fools hating on FF12 yet love Dragon Age. Gets me every time. "

Dragon Age had a good plot, characters and control over your party.
In XII you had to unlock "good A.I.", the characters were almost non-entities and the story was ridiculously boring.

@starmane said:

" Yeah Im kind of pissed because  it did go Multi Console XBOX doesn't need FF....... I also heard that 13 was the last one...If so I blame Microsoft :) "

Square chose to make the series go multiplatform, and the series has always been multiplatform, appearing on basically every system ever created.  Hell, there's been Final Fantasy games on the Xbox in the past, so why not XIII?  Also, it's most definitely not the last.  We already know XIV is coming and I guarantee XV won't be far behind.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Skald

The platform exclusive games you listed are games that received a lot of funding. That's why they're good. 

Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, and Super Street Fighter IV are all multiplatform games and are all excellent. There is no reason Square Enix can't make a good multiplatform RPG. If they just lowered the polygon count a bit, they could run it on the Xbox without a problem. FF XII was on the PS2, and it still looked pretty good. It was playable, at least. 

Maybe instead of spending all their time on graphics, they should just make a good game from the ground up, then it wouldn't matter how many consoles the game is on. I mean, just look at how many people like Deadly Premonition on this site. A game can look shitty but still be fun and enjoyable to play.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@WinterSnowblind: Seems like your problem was lack of volume. You were never frustrated with AI tactics in Dragon Age because you never really have to change them. You're fighting the same shit over and over. This is coming from a fan of both games, by the way. Certainly after 13 you must appreciate what 12 was attempting. Neither game is perfect, DA would be better with hunts that force you to change up your tactics (like 12) and bestiary variety (any), 12 would be better with character development (any) and sidequests (any). The overarching story in both is kind of vague nonesense, 12's problem is it didn't have any story centric things diverting from it. DA's problem is, like a lot of Bioware games, what works the first time has a tendency to work every time, even on the hardest mode where emissaries are using every trick they have. In mind mind, there's a game at the impasse of these two that's pretty amazing.
Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Adamsons

I'll buy it depending on what the game play is like..  I don't understand how you can decide if you are going to buy this game or not when there is NO gameplay footage available.

The premise is amazing - a Final Fantasy with the Kingdom Hearts battle system, i heard it will feature an overworld you can travel across too (Something the series since X has been missing terribly imo)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Rhaknar

so much fanboy or just little kid uninformed shit in this thread

LinkinMedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LinkinMedo

i don't like exclusives going multi platform .
i mean if FF13 meant to be multi platform from the start SE would have taken the size matter in consideration which is better than cut stuff from a finished game !!!! 

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yeah brah.  Oh, and MW2 was shit because it was on the PS3 hur dur dur. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob

You know why I won't be buying it? 
Because I hate Final Fantasy.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kazona

There is no proof to backup your theory that the content was cut to facilitate the 360. The things that were cut, probably were for the very same reason that developers always cut content from their games: time constraints. 

And why is it that games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age, all have huge, open worlds for you to explore at will on the 360, but FF13 doesn't? Sure, the latter is graphically the best looking game, but they could've made the world more non-linear if they wanted to, but they chose not to. And that had absolutely nothing to do with the game being ported to the Xbox.

Whether Final Fantasy Versus 13 goes multi-platform or not has nothing to do with the linearity (or non-linearity) of the world. It's simply a design choice. In the case of FF13, some people liked that new direction, while others hated it. If enough people fall in the second category, then their next game might have more exploration in it. But seeing how far Versus 13 has been in development already, I think it's safe to say that all that is set in stone already.  

What if this game doesn't go multi-platform, and it's still just as linear as 13? Where will you put the blame then?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar said:
" so much fanboy or just little kid uninformed shit in this thread "
this guy speaks the truth.
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phantomzxro

I don't really buy this whole blaming microsoft  for ff13 short comings. I don't know how ffv13 will be but after ff13 i'm a little worried about it so i will judge the game on it's own merits and not base it on a deal with microsoft. If they put more loving and care into ffv13 and make the world more exciting to explore around then i will pick it up but if it is more of the same i may have to skip that one. Say what you will about ff12 which i do agree it was boring (storywise) and i did not like it more then past rpgor ff games it still made me clock in over 100 hours because the hunts in that game was awesome and i had a lot of stuff to do within the world. 

Just a side rant please bring back personal  limit break that are cool and summons that are useful again please!
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallen189

I'm Captain Basch Von Ronsenburg, of Dalmasca!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince

Anyone who says you just press one button in Final Fantasy XIII is being stupid. Lets see you try that when you're trying to kill some of the bigger things later in the game. Also, it'll be a bit annoying if Versus crosses over, but I'm still going to get it since FFXIII is on of my favorite games.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By goodwood

Dont blame the console blame the shitty developers. Isnt that why Square announced FF14 before 13 even came out because the development team was doing a shitty job and taking too long?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn

Or maybe this cut stuff would've been cut to begin with because they wanted to release the game at a certain time and it had nothing to do with the 360 version that they quite obviously never gave a shit about anyway.  Don't be an idiot.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy

You're just sour at the news that it might come to the 360. If XIII wasn't on the 360 it would have been the same game. Do you realize how late in development process the 360 version was started? like, 6-7 months before it's release. You can't blame the 360 for this. Get over it

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By RobotHamster

No, its sucks that microsoft can buy their way into almost any franchise, but the ps3 won't get mass effect, gears etc.  But why am I complaining, I have both systems :)

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunslingerPanda

tl;dr

Bawww, I'm a misinformed, know-it-all, butthurt fanboy. BAWWWW!

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scullinator

For the record.  I played FFXIII on the 360 and really enjoyed it.  I didnt mind the multiple discs and dont see why that would be a big problem, other than maybe the cost of the game would be more to produce.  In the 40 or so hours I played FFXIII I had to get up twice to put in the next disc!  FUCK that was difficult.  (I do own a PS3 but its not reading discs right now, and I was happy to get the achievement points)  I hope Verses comes out on the 360.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@RobotHamster said:
" No, its sucks that microsoft can buy their way into almost any franchise, but the ps3 won't get mass effect, gears etc.  But why am I complaining, I have both systems :) "
Again, the game went multiplatform because the development costs were going into the millions.  They were never going to make their money back by releasing it on any one system, and of course Microsoft were quick to jump on the hype train, but I highly doubt they needed to put up any money to bring it over.  It's exactly the same reason Grand Thef Auto (which many still claim MS bought, when infact the total opposite is true.  It was only ever exclusive because Sony were paying for it) and Metal Gear Solid are also now multiplatform.

Unless Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo are paying or funding the development themselves.. We won't be seeing many exclusives.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#36  Edited By Jazz

Dont care.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

These petty fanboy arguments need to stop, they're boring and utterly pointless. All games should be multiplatform so more people can play them. Done.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iamjohn
@RobotHamster said:
" No, its sucks that microsoft can buy their way into almost any franchise, but the ps3 won't get mass effect, gears etc.  But why am I complaining, I have both systems :) "
Yeah, that's something Sony never did.  Oh wait!
alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By alcamin

Regardless of how much was cut I simply don't buy into this whole "360 killed FF" argument. Unless the game was changed at its most fundamental levels to accommodate the 360 then the game was always going to be as linear as you suggest, and as far as I can tell there is absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise. No amount of mini games or extras would have changed the overall structure of the game and to suggest otherwise is just naive. Porting doesn't break games; designers and storytellers with weak ideas and vision does.

You don't sound like a Sony fanboy or anything, but frankly, with an argument like that, you might as well be. This whole discussion is pretty much redundant and it certainly won't change anything. FF13 is just a rare miss on Square Enix's part. Not everything they do is going to be gold.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Catolf

I doubt it'll get ported over but still, have you played FF13? With the way it sounds you haven't, so before you make these opinions you might wanna play the game and get informed. It's a lot more complicated that pressing X and moving on..

I enjoyed FF13, no, it wasn't a perfect game, but it was fun, and I can't wait till vs/13 hits the stores, even if it hits the Xbox too it's not going to make it less of an awesome game.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheHBK

That game would have sucked ass no matter what and this versus will also be a piece of shit.  Hope that you can sleep at night now.
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

One problem here- the game was basically done before work on the 360 version even started.  Also, the only reason the 360 version is on 3 discs is the videos.  Take those out, and you have a 1 or maybe 2 disc game.   

Really, this is dumb.  The problems the game had didn't have anything to do with technology.
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By aurahack

I won't buy it 'cause it's a Final Fantasy game that isn't Final Fantasy IX. 

That aside, not purchasing a game because more people get to play it is silly. Console exclusives don't mean anything unless they're first party games as far as I'm concerned.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_A_Drain

Boo hoo hoo, more people get to enjoy a game... 

Fuck's sake people. I can understand idiots who don't understand the behind-the-scenes reasons why, in reality, complaining about the majority of things like DLC, increased prices, etc, is pants-on-head retarded. But not wanting a game to go multiplatform?! There is something seriously wrong with those people. Get a life.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chirag4

This is dumb.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46  Edited By natetodamax

If it comes to 360 I'll definitely be interested.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gabriel

Unless it's a FInal Fantasy 7 remake, I don't care about Final Fantasy. If Microsoft wants to throw money at Square Enix let em. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a
deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Rhaknar:
It's differntitly Fanboy. Seriously, why blame Microsoft when it was SquareEnix themselfs who wanted it to make it muiltplatform in the first place.
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Gabriel said:
" Unless it's a FInal Fantasy 7 remake, I don't care about Final Fantasy. If Microsoft wants to throw money at Square Enix let em.  "
Again..  Why would Microsoft pay to have a game go multiplatform? 

Square needed to release XIII on the 360 to even possibly make a profit on the ridiculously high development cost, I highly doubt Microsoft had anything to do with the decision.  They were just quick to jump onto the hype train by announcing it at E3 as a major blow against the PS3. 

The same will be true of Versus.  I said it way back when XIII was first announced for the 360, but now that they've established a fanbase on the 360, they'd be pretty silly to ignore them just because the lead designer happens to be a massive Sony fanboy.  Xbox fans want it, and Square need the money.  Versus will come to the Xbox, just as XIV will.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Semition

If the first 10 hours of the game was cut or condensed into two or three, I would have enjoyed it much more. 

So I say "yay" to cutting content on SE games.