#1 Posted by FUMN (85 posts) -

Well as the title says, I am wondering why age verification is only for trailers. I can watch Jeff and Brad play an M rated game all the while cursing and talking of inappropriate things (which I don't mind) without verifying that I am above 18, but I must remind giantbomb that I am over 18 every time I want to watch the Bioshock Infinite trailer? Is it for legal reasons? I am not complaining I am just curious on why this is.

#2 Posted by Zidane_24 (740 posts) -

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's for legal reasons, since those trailers are put out by the publisher, while Quick Looks and all the other original content is put out by the GB crew.

#3 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

That's because they are required to put the age thingy on trailers by the publishers.

#4 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

they just do it for a laugh

#5 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Just to make sure your not retarted and can scroll down a age wheel to 1902.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

It's required by the publisher in order to run the trailer.

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4468 posts) -

It's so that the ESA can demonstrate to the government that game publishers do not advertise inappropriate content to kids and that the industry can regulate itself sufficiently. Without it the government could argue that they are irresponsibly advertising and then set up government controlled regulations which would likely be more restrictive and costly for the industry.

#8 Posted by CornBREDX (6075 posts) -

The age gate comes with the trailer

#9 Posted by myketuna (1759 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

It's so that the ESA can demonstrate to the government that game publishers do not advertise inappropriate content to kids and that the industry can regulate itself sufficiently. Without it the government could argue that they are irresponsibly advertising and then set up government controlled regulations which would likely be more restrictive and costly for the industry.

I'm pretty sure it's something like this. Jeff explained the reason in one of the Jar Time videos. I believe they don't have to do that on their own stuff because they aren't regulated by anyone really, but the games/publishers are. Actually, I think they're self-regulated, but regulated nonetheless. I don't know. Whatever. I just put in a fake birthday to let me watch the trailer.

#10 Posted by FUMN (85 posts) -

Thanks everyone. I thought it was probably a legal issue, it's just real annoying having to put in the birthdays.  

Ty again.

#11 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2118 posts) -

@myketuna said:

@mosespippy said:

I'm pretty sure it's something like this. Jeff explained the reason in one of the Jar Time videos. I believe they don't have to do that on their own stuff because they aren't regulated by anyone really, but the games/publishers are. Actually, I think they're self-regulated, but regulated nonetheless. I don't know. Whatever. I just put in a fake birthday to let me watch the trailer.

I still put in fake birthdays even though I'm old enough. There's something broken about a system where it's easier to fake it than to do it properly.

#12 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

I still put in fake birthdays even though I'm old enough. There's something broken about a system where it's easier to fake it than to do it properly.

I still laugh when I picture someone who's 106 going and catching up on the latest news in Mortal Kombat or whatever.