Why is everything being announced, shown, and previewe before E3?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dany

This is the week before the biggest gaming convention and stuff such as MK9, Motor storm, Infamous and other stuff are actually being announced and shown, but why? Why aren't companies holding that stuff for next week?

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Crono11

They probably don't want to be overlooked and forgotten instantly.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10

Some games get leaked before E3 and game companies basically go "fuck it, it's real" instead of saying it's not going to happen.

I guess I should add that's my reason why. It's probably not really the reason they do it.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

Yeah, simply put they don't want to get lost in the deluge of stuff that is coming around the corner next week. While it might seem like a lot is being announced, trust me when I say that the pure amount of impressions and previews that is going to be out next week for new games (mostly for stuff that you won't care about, due to sheer volume) is going to be so constant that it's better to get out in front it anyway.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX

They announce that they have something to announce at E3.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Pre-E3 events are the new E3. Companies prefer to announce things at their own events & things before E3 when they don't have to compete with all the E3 announcements and whatnot. The aim is to get more of the coverage. Unfortunately so many companies do it now, that they are still competing for the coverage.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By neoepoch

Think of it this way. At least there haven't been leaks as bad as last year.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gaff

Wishful thinking time: 

I'm hoping they're just drawing attention to a secret project. 

Or... they finally figured out we can't pay attention when a boatload of announcements are made in three days.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Rhaknar

seems companies are batshit paranoid about leaks (last year was pretty bad for leaks) so they just announce everything before. the funny thing is, most of the games they are announcing were already heavily rumored / leaked anyway, so...yeah

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

I think it's because Sony is gonna leave the industry due to not being as good as MS and Nintendo.  This is their last push, and their goodbye.  What else could Sony have at E3 now, aside from their Goodbye Keynote. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar
@KaosAngel said:
" I think it's because Sony is gonna leave the industry due to not being as good as MS and Nintendo.  This is their last push, and their goodbye.  What else could Sony have at E3 now, aside from their Goodbye Keynote.  "
sarcasm doesnt come off as well in writing Kaos, you're gonna get slammed for that :P
Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cluter

I think it's because there's so much info and so many games that plan for this time of year for revealing, that they dont want to be lost under the shuffle of the keynotes and huge games unveiled at the actual E3 show. 

I kinda prefer the info leading up to the show. Makes it feel like E3 is a week long, and I loooove that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti
@KaosAngel said:
" I think it's because Sony is gonna leave the industry due to not being as good as MS and Nintendo.  This is their last push, and their goodbye.  What else could Sony have at E3 now, aside from their Goodbye Keynote.  "
I'm tearing up over here.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
@KaosAngel said:
I laughed out loud. Haha.

As I've said a gajillion times, it's because during E3 there's simply too much NOISE. Companies like Sony are getting out early, and ensuring their announcements get decent coverage while journalists actually have time to write about them. It makes sense. If you think about it - Sony has about 10 cover stories on store shelves now, they've basically had their games be talked about solely for a month now. From a sales perspective it makes sense.

Also -- inFamous 2, Killzone 3, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, while awesome, are all expected announcements. We all knew they were coming didn't we? There's not really surprise there.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
@get2sammyb: I wasn't expecting a new MotorStorm to be honest.  :\

I hated them, and always thought they sold like shit.  Let's be honest here, GT5 is gonna take up a lot of time, and Move will, and the big guns will be shown.  I would not be surprised if GT5 had the same launch window as Halo Reach.  I am also confident that if they do it, GT5 will easily outsell Halo Reach.
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By m1k3

Its all to generate hype... They want to let the press know what they should be looking forward to. Also they dont want games to be overlooked.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gamefreak9
@KaosAngel:  
U realize sony is estimated to outsell 360 by next yr?
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By DukeTogo

Welcome to E3, it's always been this way, it's just far more easy with the internet being so omnipotent.  Pretty soon they won't need people to go there, it will all just be twitter and youtube.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb
@KaosAngel: The new MotorStorm's been rumoured for ages, and seeing as Sony own Evolution they had to be working on something. As far as I'm aware MotorStorm games sell fine. I actually really like them, they're definitely an acquired taste because they are very hardcore. I like to think of them as sim-arcade racers, which sounds STUPID I know, but they're not really pick-up and play like other arcade racers -- they're more like a sim in that sense.

I think you're right about GT5's launch window. I dunno whether it'll outsell Reach out of the gates, but I think when you factor in Europe (which is the strongest audience for the GT games), it'll easily outsell Reach for its lifetime sales.

As for Sony's E3 - I think we'll see a couple of Move titles, gameplay demoes for all these big announcements, an Uncharted 3 teaser, The Last Guardian, and a couple of surprises (Agent?).

Like I said in another thread, think of Sony's E3 conference as a month long show... Because that's basically what we've had. I think it's awesome. Aside from every announcement thread being "but-but-but what about E3?!? :'("
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
@gamefreak9 said:
" @KaosAngel:  U realize sony is estimated to outsell 360 by next yr? "
Lies.  The jouralnists always say Sony is doomed.  I trust them and my Aaron Greenburg than a random poster.

This is Sony's do-or-die year.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gaff
@get2sammyb: Going from what I've heard from John Davison, the lead-in time for print magazines is a bit bigger than a month: news sections can be done pretty fast, but cover stories take a fair bit longer than a month to prepare. 

But you're right: Getting the word out early draws attention for their press conference. Same goes for any other big player. 

One thing: Apparently Nintendo's press conference is going to be 2 hours long. They'll probably show 3DS, Zelda, Metroid, the required sales numbers pitch... What else are they filling in those 2 hours with?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
@Gaff: That heartbeat sensor? 
StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StarwindX9
@KaosAngel:  
PS3s dont sell as well as 360s, cuz they dont break every two seconds. TBH, the only struggles I see within the industry is declining hardware sales of the wii, though the only Nintendo system to care about is obviously the DS.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gaff
@KaosAngel said:
" @Gaff: That heartbeat sensor?  "
I'll start handing out the pitchforks and torches. Spread the word.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ

I only wish the wii defence force wasn't so broken apart as to make a big fuss as to why the heartbeat sensor is the next step in technological development, and why it will change my life forever. 

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By septim

The stuff they've shown hasn't exactly been mindblowing. Maybe they figure they should get some press while they still can before everyone goes apeshit for the hot e3 stuff.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I think Sony especially learned that it's impossible to keep some stuff secret so they're just spilling the beans now which means they will either have crazy surprises or just awesome footage next week.