#1 Posted by AssInAss (2600 posts) -

Vinny, Patrick, and now Brad are providing us with Dark Souls and Demon's Souls livestreams. A year ago, this would have been unfathomable.

Is it because it's a dry spell right now for AAA releases?

Is it because they want to be ready for when Dark Souls 2 drops?

Or is it they want to just give us content and they know Dark/Demon's Souls makes for a good crowd-watching experience?

#2 Edited by joshwent (2156 posts) -

@assinass said:

Or is it they want to just give us content and they know Dark/Demon's Souls makes for a good crowd-watching experience?

yes.

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

Vinny liked Demon's Souls. Vinny liked Dark Souls a lot but never got to finish it. Everyone always recognized the Souls games as something interesting but were afraid to approach them. Vinny saw an opportunity to finish Dark Souls. The rest of the crew(minus Jeff who has made his feelings clear, but can still appreciate it from a distance) became more interested and overcame their fear of the game.

#4 Posted by AssInAss (2600 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@assinass said:

yes.

#5 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Because they can.

#6 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

Patrick has been saying he was going to play Dark Souls for quite some time. Back when he was on the podcast, he said he was waiting until the Mid-West winter, when he wouldn't have much reason to go outside. He said playing Dark Souls seemed appropriate for the cold, dark months.

#7 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

Or perhaps it is because they are all friends and hearing Vinny talk about it influenced the others, as friends are want to do.

#8 Posted by AssInAss (2600 posts) -

Or perhaps it is because they are all friends and hearing Vinny talk about it influenced the others, as friends are want to do.

Yeah, that could be a main reason. When Jeff got hyped for Papers Please, everyone else started playing it.

We just need Jeff to play the Souls games, get past that hipster hump, and then we can rejoice! :D

#9 Posted by DorkyMohr (167 posts) -

None of these reasonable reasons. They're being paid off by From Software in cold hard cash obviously.

#10 Edited by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

It doesn't feel like a suddenly sort of thing to me, there was enough hype around here about Dark Souls when it came out that I bought it and ended up not liking it at all.

I seem to remember Ryan doing an extra Dark Souls thing at one point even.

#11 Edited by FengShuiGod (1480 posts) -

Groupthink.

#12 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

Because they see that these games are the shit!!!!! :D Only Jeff remains , we can do it people >:3

#13 Edited by JayEH (521 posts) -

None of these reasonable reasons. They're being paid off by From Software in cold hard cash obviously.

Nah man its Namco with their Pac-Man machines.

Anyway, for whatever reason they're into Souls now, I'm glad they are. They got me into it and I beat Dark Souls earlier this month and am now working on Demon's Souls.

#14 Edited by Droop (1845 posts) -

Because the business men at CBSi saw that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were the hot new thing that all the kids want. Gotta synergize those core value expenditures.

#15 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

Because the Souls games are puppy awesome!

#16 Posted by Korwin (2837 posts) -

Greater acceptance of true gaming greatness, that's why.

#17 Posted by AssInAss (2600 posts) -

@droop said:

Because the business men at CSBi saw that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were the hot new thing that all the kids want.

It brings all the kids to the yard.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Suddenly?

#19 Posted by Dixavd (1331 posts) -

Brad tried Dark Souls during the Charity Live Stream last year and continued with it - now wants to try Demon's Souls. Vinny genuinely liked Dark Souls since its release (and brought it up constantly for a few months after its release on the bombcast) and happened to decide to try to go back to his save and finish it which turned into a series. Patrick wants to find out what the game was all about and be ready for Dark Souls II and get in on the action as it comes out.

We'll get Jeff eventually.

#20 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

@assinass said:

@droop said:

Because the business men at CSBi saw that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were the hot new thing that all the kids want.

And they're like "my Manserpent Greatsword's better than your's"

#21 Edited by crow13 (139 posts) -

I wonder how many of these play throughs will continue when the dry spell goes away. Are we going to see Brad beat demon souls? or will all of this go away to make room for new quicklooks and reviews.

#22 Posted by MikeLemmer (546 posts) -

@ramone said:

@assinass said:

@droop said:

And they're like "my Manserpent Greatsword's better than your's"

Nah, they're all screaming "you're doing it wrong!"

#23 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@crow13 said:

I wonder how many of these play throughs will continue when the dry spell goes away. Are we going to see Brad beat demon souls? or will all of this go away to make room for new quicklooks and reviews.

One can only hope.

#24 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

They have literally no other ideas for content.

#25 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

@assinass said:

We just need Jeff to play the Souls games, get past that hipster hump, and then we can rejoice! :D

@dixavd said:

You guys are crazy if you think Jeff is ever going to get into the souls games, barring the possibility that a future installment changes enough for him to like it. The older Jeff gets, the more cranky and set in his ways he's going to be. He's the George Carlin of video games.

#26 Posted by development (2219 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@assinass said:

@dixavd said:

You guys are crazy if you think Jeff is ever going to get into the souls games, barring the possibility that a future installment changes enough for him to like it. The older Jeff gets, the more cranky and set in his ways he's going to be. He's the George Carlin of video games.

That's kind of offensive. Jeff is funny.

#27 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@assinass said:

@dixavd said:

I could be misreading this, so just to clarify: Is this comment implying George Carlin is not funny?

#28 Posted by AlexGBRO (295 posts) -

because both games are dificult but fair, when they get stuck with some boss they can read the chat for solution and also long games in witch the story is kinda optinal and also Brad was to get away form Dota 2

#29 Posted by Fitzgerald (268 posts) -

It doesn't feel like a suddenly sort of thing to me, there was enough hype around here about Dark Souls when it came out that I bought it and ended up not liking it at all.

I seem to remember Ryan doing an extra Dark Souls thing at one point even.

lol, so wrong. Are you kidding? Dark Souls got railroaded by Ryan and Jeff in 2011 GOTY.

GB was just behind the curve on this one. Now they're catching up.

#30 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3156 posts) -

I thought it was cause Jeff Green got hired as CEO of CBSi

#31 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -
#32 Edited by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

They've seen the light.

#33 Posted by development (2219 posts) -

@development said:

@trilogy said:

I could be misreading this, so just to clarify: Is this comment implying George Carlin is not funny?

Yes! But that discussion's a little too off-topic for this thread, probably.

#34 Posted by SomberOwl (649 posts) -

I don't know but I'm getting a little bored of it. Kind of wish they would explore something new.

#35 Posted by Humanity (9017 posts) -

@trilogy said:

@assinass said:

@dixavd said:

If they do a Souls spinoff game akin to Metal Gear Rising then I'm sure Jeff would love it. You'd have sick fire combos and you'd run UP the Tower Knights shield only to backflip and crack it clean in half with a powerful halberd blow - the halberd would have a magic chainsaw on it.. then a quick QTE where you're gathering chi energy for a fire-tunnel blast..

#36 Edited by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@sdharrison said:

@development said:

@trilogy said:

Yes! But that discussion's a little too off-topic for this thread, probably.

What about Bill Hicks?

#37 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

dark souls 2 is coming, end of 7th gen console era, there's more then enough people getting excited for it.... I don't think it's a bad thing if people are late to something. We always are late for something.

#38 Edited by Nodima (1156 posts) -

@soldierg654342 said:

super super nitpicky but as someone who enjoys a well-placed use of "want", I feel it's important to point out the correct spelling of that word is actually "wont", which confuses a generation weaned on skipping over punctuation in text messages and forum posts but, nonetheless, is the word you want to use. Won't you?

#39 Posted by development (2219 posts) -

@you_died: Way funnier than Carlin. You might think they're similar, but I think Carlin's version of the long pretentious diatribe was far more frequently devoid of humor. This is really getting off topic...

#40 Posted by stubbleman (306 posts) -

I think they're just trying to force me to lose interest in all content on the site. The forums are the only reason I still come here at this point.

#41 Posted by Xeiphyer (5601 posts) -

Follow the money.

#42 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -

Man, the souls games are really dividing this community. No one game series should have all that power.

#43 Edited by cmblasko (1177 posts) -

Don't know, but it's about time they give due props to the Souls series.

#44 Posted by smashed_pumpkins (42 posts) -

I really enjoy watching the Souls games being played. Never played Demon's Souls, but I have played 80+ hours of Dark Souls over the last year. I bought it at launch and did not like it. Watching Rorie play on his Twitch channel made me give it another shot. Also this does not feel sudden.

Side note. I would really like to see a video of this style with Jeff driving. A game he didn't play but wanted to or something.

#45 Posted by probablytuna (3601 posts) -

Because even they know that Souls games are the games of the generation.

#46 Edited by Carlos1408 (1495 posts) -

Because everyone must praise the Sun!!! \±/

#47 Edited by golguin (3868 posts) -

Because even they know that Souls games are the games of the generation.

This is actually quite true. The Souls series has been getting named dropped by developers more frequently as being a source of inspiration for things like mechanics and tone (it's the reason the PS4 exists as it is). You'll here reviewers or other people casually say things like "It's the Dark Souls of X" or "It's kinda like Dark Souls."

People have never stopped talking about Dark Souls. I got Dark Souls a few days after it came out and I've never stopped playing it. I'll stop once Dark Souls 2 comes out.