Why is Giant Bomb suddenly into Dark/Demon's Souls?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Vinny, Patrick, and now Brad are providing us with Dark Souls and Demon's Souls livestreams. A year ago, this would have been unfathomable.

Is it because it's a dry spell right now for AAA releases?

Is it because they want to be ready for when Dark Souls 2 drops?

Or is it they want to just give us content and they know Dark/Demon's Souls makes for a good crowd-watching experience?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By joshwent

@assinass said:

Or is it they want to just give us content and they know Dark/Demon's Souls makes for a good crowd-watching experience?

yes.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Vinny liked Demon's Souls. Vinny liked Dark Souls a lot but never got to finish it. Everyone always recognized the Souls games as something interesting but were afraid to approach them. Vinny saw an opportunity to finish Dark Souls. The rest of the crew(minus Jeff who has made his feelings clear, but can still appreciate it from a distance) became more interested and overcame their fear of the game.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@assinass said:

yes.

No Caption Provided

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Because they can.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Patrick has been saying he was going to play Dark Souls for quite some time. Back when he was on the podcast, he said he was waiting until the Mid-West winter, when he wouldn't have much reason to go outside. He said playing Dark Souls seemed appropriate for the cold, dark months.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342

Or perhaps it is because they are all friends and hearing Vinny talk about it influenced the others, as friends are want to do.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or perhaps it is because they are all friends and hearing Vinny talk about it influenced the others, as friends are want to do.

Yeah, that could be a main reason. When Jeff got hyped for Papers Please, everyone else started playing it.

We just need Jeff to play the Souls games, get past that hipster hump, and then we can rejoice! :D

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

None of these reasonable reasons. They're being paid off by From Software in cold hard cash obviously.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

It doesn't feel like a suddenly sort of thing to me, there was enough hype around here about Dark Souls when it came out that I bought it and ended up not liking it at all.

I seem to remember Ryan doing an extra Dark Souls thing at one point even.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By FengShuiGod

Groupthink.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they see that these games are the shit!!!!! :D Only Jeff remains , we can do it people >:3

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JayEH

None of these reasonable reasons. They're being paid off by From Software in cold hard cash obviously.

Nah man its Namco with their Pac-Man machines.

Anyway, for whatever reason they're into Souls now, I'm glad they are. They got me into it and I beat Dark Souls earlier this month and am now working on Demon's Souls.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By droop

Because the business men at CBSi saw that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were the hot new thing that all the kids want. Gotta synergize those core value expenditures.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the Souls games are puppy awesome!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greater acceptance of true gaming greatness, that's why.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@droop said:

Because the business men at CSBi saw that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were the hot new thing that all the kids want.

It brings all the kids to the yard.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Suddenly?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Brad tried Dark Souls during the Charity Live Stream last year and continued with it - now wants to try Demon's Souls. Vinny genuinely liked Dark Souls since its release (and brought it up constantly for a few months after its release on the bombcast) and happened to decide to try to go back to his save and finish it which turned into a series. Patrick wants to find out what the game was all about and be ready for Dark Souls II and get in on the action as it comes out.

We'll get Jeff eventually.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assinass said:

@droop said:

Because the business men at CSBi saw that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were the hot new thing that all the kids want.

And they're like "my Manserpent Greatsword's better than your's"

crow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crow13

I wonder how many of these play throughs will continue when the dry spell goes away. Are we going to see Brad beat demon souls? or will all of this go away to make room for new quicklooks and reviews.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@ramone said:

@assinass said:

@droop said:

And they're like "my Manserpent Greatsword's better than your's"

Nah, they're all screaming "you're doing it wrong!"

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TowerSixteen

@crow13 said:

I wonder how many of these play throughs will continue when the dry spell goes away. Are we going to see Brad beat demon souls? or will all of this go away to make room for new quicklooks and reviews.

One can only hope.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have literally no other ideas for content.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@assinass said:

We just need Jeff to play the Souls games, get past that hipster hump, and then we can rejoice! :D

@dixavd said:

You guys are crazy if you think Jeff is ever going to get into the souls games, barring the possibility that a future installment changes enough for him to like it. The older Jeff gets, the more cranky and set in his ways he's going to be. He's the George Carlin of video games.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy said:

@assinass said:

@dixavd said:

You guys are crazy if you think Jeff is ever going to get into the souls games, barring the possibility that a future installment changes enough for him to like it. The older Jeff gets, the more cranky and set in his ways he's going to be. He's the George Carlin of video games.

That's kind of offensive. Jeff is funny.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy said:

@assinass said:

@dixavd said:

I could be misreading this, so just to clarify: Is this comment implying George Carlin is not funny?

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because both games are dificult but fair, when they get stuck with some boss they can read the chat for solution and also long games in witch the story is kinda optinal and also Brad was to get away form Dota 2

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't feel like a suddenly sort of thing to me, there was enough hype around here about Dark Souls when it came out that I bought it and ended up not liking it at all.

I seem to remember Ryan doing an extra Dark Souls thing at one point even.

lol, so wrong. Are you kidding? Dark Souls got railroaded by Ryan and Jeff in 2011 GOTY.

GB was just behind the curve on this one. Now they're catching up.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I thought it was cause Jeff Green got hired as CEO of CBSi

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spoonman671

They've seen the light.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development said:

@trilogy said:

I could be misreading this, so just to clarify: Is this comment implying George Carlin is not funny?

Yes! But that discussion's a little too off-topic for this thread, probably.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't know but I'm getting a little bored of it. Kind of wish they would explore something new.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@trilogy said:

@assinass said:

@dixavd said:

If they do a Souls spinoff game akin to Metal Gear Rising then I'm sure Jeff would love it. You'd have sick fire combos and you'd run UP the Tower Knights shield only to backflip and crack it clean in half with a powerful halberd blow - the halberd would have a magic chainsaw on it.. then a quick QTE where you're gathering chi energy for a fire-tunnel blast..

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By YOU_DIED

@sdharrison said:

@development said:

@trilogy said:

Yes! But that discussion's a little too off-topic for this thread, probably.

Loading Video...

What about Bill Hicks?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

dark souls 2 is coming, end of 7th gen console era, there's more then enough people getting excited for it.... I don't think it's a bad thing if people are late to something. We always are late for something.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Nodima

@soldierg654342 said:

super super nitpicky but as someone who enjoys a well-placed use of "want", I feel it's important to point out the correct spelling of that word is actually "wont", which confuses a generation weaned on skipping over punctuation in text messages and forum posts but, nonetheless, is the word you want to use. Won't you?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died: Way funnier than Carlin. You might think they're similar, but I think Carlin's version of the long pretentious diatribe was far more frequently devoid of humor. This is really getting off topic...

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're just trying to force me to lose interest in all content on the site. The forums are the only reason I still come here at this point.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Follow the money.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Man, the souls games are really dividing this community. No one game series should have all that power.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cmblasko

Don't know, but it's about time they give due props to the Souls series.

Avatar image for smashed_pumpkins
smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I really enjoy watching the Souls games being played. Never played Demon's Souls, but I have played 80+ hours of Dark Souls over the last year. I bought it at launch and did not like it. Watching Rorie play on his Twitch channel made me give it another shot. Also this does not feel sudden.

Side note. I would really like to see a video of this style with Jeff driving. A game he didn't play but wanted to or something.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because even they know that Souls games are the games of the generation.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Carlos1408

Because everyone must praise the Sun!!! \±/

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By golguin

Because even they know that Souls games are the games of the generation.

This is actually quite true. The Souls series has been getting named dropped by developers more frequently as being a source of inspiration for things like mechanics and tone (it's the reason the PS4 exists as it is). You'll here reviewers or other people casually say things like "It's the Dark Souls of X" or "It's kinda like Dark Souls."

People have never stopped talking about Dark Souls. I got Dark Souls a few days after it came out and I've never stopped playing it. I'll stop once Dark Souls 2 comes out.