Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Why is it so hard for people to quit WoW?

• 56 results
    Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kahoona

I have friends who have played WoW for a solid 4 years and every time they talk about the game I don't hear one positive word about it.  When I suggest they quit they quickly change the subject to something else or tell me there are no other games to play and I rattle off several.  Why is it so difficult for some people to walk away from a game they don't enjoy?  I walked away from WoW and haven't looked back once...

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Crono11

It's called addiction. I suggest they get the patch.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

I played WoW for 40 days, got to level 43. And then quit a month ago. Might start back up, probably won't.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Bones8677

The same reason why it's hard to leave your favorite prostitute. 

What?

Uh...I gotta go...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Kahoona: It meets their human needs they don't get in real life, like community, connection and importance, also growth, well only for their characters and contribution playing as a team. When they don't have much of a life, wow can become a drug to escape.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

i didn't even realise i was addicted. 4 years later i'm CLEAN! and playing counter strike source like i should be.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Capum15

It was really dang fun for me, but it wasn't that hard to quit. I stopped playing before the Burning Crusade and haven't really thought of it much. If I did try to go back, I'd probably hate most of the things they did (even though I stopped before it happened, I was still a bit irritated when they made getting to level 60..or, getting/doing anything, actually, a lot easier).

Iunno, probably addiction or something. I suggest electro shock therapy. With a Tesla Coil. Because who wouldn't want to shock the fuck out of something with one of those? Or give them a knife, and set a bear loose in the room. They'll either die, or come out a badass. Or use explosives. Y'know, I'm not even sure what I'm talking about any more, these are just awesome ways to deal with situations. 

Remember, if explosives don't fix it, you're not using enough!

discost3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By discost3w

Because it's a game that doesn't have an end, a lot of players and good gameplay. There isn't really any other MMO that will compare to WoW.

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kahoona
    @discost3w said:
    " Because it's a game that doesn't have an end, a lot of players and good gameplay. There isn't really any other MMO that will compare to WoW. "
    But every time I talk to them they always complain about the players and how bad they are and how bad the gameplay has become.  Could it be that they're too afraid to let go of the character they've made?
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capum15
    @Kahoona said:
    " @discost3w said:
    " Because it's a game that doesn't have an end, a lot of players and good gameplay. There isn't really any other MMO that will compare to WoW. "
    But every time I talk to them they always complain about the players and how bad they are and how bad the gameplay has become.  Could it be that they're too afraid to let go of the character they've made? "
    That could be a possibility. You get attached to any character you've been playing as for hours and hours (unless they're complete assholes, jerks or annoying...well, probably). When I played, the community was pretty nice and quite helpful, and I ran with a really good guild. The gameplay was solid (guessing that it's similar now than it was back then, but with some new additions...not sure if it was drastic or not though).
    NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NathHaw
    @Kahoona said:

" @discost3w said:

But every time I talk to them they always complain about the players and how bad they are and how bad the gameplay has become.  Could it be that they're too afraid to let go of the character they've made? "
    They are focusing on the negative.  The truth is that the game is good in so many areas that minor details become a big deal.  The game has improved vastly over the years.  People tend to see the older ways the game operated through rose-colored glasses.  It's not subconscious really.  It's just a great game.  That's why they haven't quit.  Unfortuantely, some people become elitist after playing for a while.  It sounds as though this is happening somewhat to your friends.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kahoona: No, they probably just want to vent about playing with random guys that sucks and don't have much else to talk to you about other than WoW (not an insult) so they do so, but they probably figure you don't want to hear about the raid that they just did with their guild, so they complain about stuff they don't like about WoW.  I used to play WoW and it kind of sucked to have to quit, it's a very good game and with a good guild full of friendly but skilled people, it can be the one game you need to satisfy your gaming desires.  
    @Bloviator said:
    "People tend to see the older ways the game operated through ross-colored glasses.  It's not subconscious really.  It's just a great game.  That's why they haven't quit.  Unfortuantely, some people become elitist after playing for a while.  It sounds as though this is happening somewhat to your friends. "
    Both of these things too.  I know a lot of dudes that complain about how the game changed, but in reality it's so much better when you stop to think.  My brother always says "Man I wish I could go back and do the vanilla WoW raids, they look so much more fun", then I remind him that barely anyone got to do those because it was so hard to get 40 people to regularly attend raids, let alone 40 skilled players.  When a game people really enjoy changes even the slightest bit, veteran players automatically  dislike the changes for the most part because it's "Not what it used to be", whether the changes were good or bad.  Also, people do get elitist, and its hard not to if you're a great player trying to play with bad players after raiding with other great players.  So that could also be something.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Hey also watch a documetary called second skin, it's about mmorpg games like wow and ever quest and how it ruins ppl's lives. You might just find the answers you were looking for. Don't miss out on it, op it might describe your friends better than anyone else can.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ninjakiller

I've been clean for a year and a half, but last week I found myself thinking about reactivating.  You gotta work at staying clean, you gotta put the work in.  

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

Because it's Heath Ledger :P.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Barrock

" I don't hear one positive word about it."

Then they are lying. The reason it's hard to quit is it is addictive, you get attached to your character, and you make a lot of friends.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

You know what for me, MMORPG's stood for before I found the woman in my life? The ability to be someone who doesn't have the same worries you do, so you become someone else who's life you have direct influence in. Too often you have no control over life and in MMO's you almost always have direct control and I think that's powerful for a lot of ppl.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Burns098356GX

I played WoW pretty solidly from launch till about 2008, I took a couple breaks, nothing longer than a month. Then from then on I'd be like 6 months between resubscribing, play for a few months, then leave. A few weeks ago I re-subscribed after leaving it for nearly 9 months, and after the first day I was bored of it. I did raid pretty hard for most of that time. I find it weird that many of the guys I play with also complain about it, yet I know some of them have never once taken a break. I think the only reason why I came back so many times is because the guys I played with were alright guys. If I never played with them, I probably would have quit and never returned back in like 2007.

GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GregariousGreg
    @Bones8677 said:
    " The same reason why it's hard to leave your favorite prostitute.   What?  Uh...I gotta go... "
    I feel your pain, thats why I lock mine in a closet.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

WoW sucks! Ha ha, just kidding. I can't say that, I've never played it. I don't really want to either -shrugs-. Out of the many "popular" games out there, that's one I don't really care to play. Plus, don't you have to pay to play? Total crap. Oh, and wow is simply a way of getting away from reality for some I'd say. Like most other games, it's a way to get away from your daily activites that need to be done. Immersion is great, just not when it's taken too far. Second Life is a good example. That's just sad.
    Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kahoona
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " I played WoW pretty solidly from launch till about 2008, I took a couple breaks, nothing longer than a month. Then from then on I'd be like 6 months between resubscribing, play for a few months, then leave. A few weeks ago I re-subscribed after leaving it for nearly 9 months, and after the first day I was bored of it. I did raid pretty hard for most of that time. I find it weird that many of the guys I play with also complain about it, yet I know some of them have never once taken a break. I think the only reason why I came back so many times is because the guys I played with were alright guys. If I never played with them, I probably would have quit and never returned back in like 2007. "
    That's how my friends are, they raid a ton and always have yet when they're doing it they always message me with "oh god, this raid is so boring".  If it's so boring, why are you doing it?
    Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wipeout
    @Kahoona said:

If it's so boring, why are you doing it? "

This is the question that has me slapping my head everytime I see my roommate, whom is hopelessly addicted to wow.  I myself have been clean for years.  All I see is him constantly doing the same shit over and over again, usually just to bust out on any equipment that has the smallest chances of dropping.  My memories of wow are of a lot of waiting, running somewhere, and repeating tasks.  I think you really have to examine what you're doing and why before it dawns on you that you're not actually having fun, you're just working and you are accomplishing nothing.  

Like any other destructive addiction, the participant has to be willing to come clean before they can claim victory over their vice.  There are social aspects to WOW, but rarely are they going to lead to lasting relationships.  I suppose if I moved away somewhere, I might play wow just to have an interactive chat room to re-commune with old friends. 

Above all else I think WoW is an outlet for people with nothing else to do.  Without developing any other hobbies, they sink their free time the easiest possible way.  For some people this is what television is for, for others it is WoW.  I'd make an argument that pretty much anything we do is a waste of time unless its something creative.  For instance, if you're manicuring your lawn for 20 hours a week when I can just leave mine sickly and ill, and re-sod it in one day when I sell my house, all that time is completely wasted.  All the time I'm putting into my old motorcycles and cars fixing them up will be wasted once they are sold or no longer economical to fix.  People who constantly rennovate their homes all year around, whom stop and start over with new rennovations as soon as they are done - they are effectively wasting their time.  Unless you're writing the Great American Novel or inventing the cure for cancer, really we're all just masturbating.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Ferginator4k

I thinks its because the longer you play it the more invested you become, thus the harder it is to give up the longer youve been playing.
    Also it should be said that the game is designed on a subscription model and as such Blizzard try to keep you playing which makes perfect sense.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wipeout: My WoW friend met a girl on WoW and they're happily married now, and I know another guy that met a girl and they're dating :P  Not saying its a regular thing, just think its interesting that I know two people with great relationships that met through WoW.
    Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wipeout
    @xobballox said:

" @Wipeout: My WoW friend met a girl on WoW and they're happily married now, and I know another guy that met a girl and they're dating :P  Not saying its a regular thing, just think its interesting that I know two people with great relationships that met through WoW. "

I've heard of these cases, and thats why I said rarely, not never.   I also meant it in a friendship way.  People who do meet this way have a good chance to get along due to similar interests.  I still think WoW is several steps above television in terms of worthwhile time investment.  Unless that television is of "The Wire" calibur....  Also, I think Senior Citizens would get a humongous boost to their community and would geniunely enjoy the infinite company  if they learned to play WoW.  
    Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By Vermy81

I've been playing off and on for five years.    

For me the answer is because there is always something to do.  It's very much like owning a home in that respect.  

There's something  I could get in and work towards and it's just really fun.  

discost3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By discost3w
    @Kahoona said:
    " @discost3w said:
    Well, you will always face a lot of bad players when playing online and it's harder to notice bad players because players that are as good as you shouldn't do stuff that you notice a lot. If they talk about the updates and say they are bad it's because most of the people is afraid of new stuff, but blizzard has to change stuff because if it doesn't change people will cry about it too.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

Because it's fun. Maybe they can't wrap their mind around the fact that as a substitute for WoW, they'll be paying $60 a pop for new releases on the Xbox or PS3, and  those games are going to last a fraction of the time they would spend get on $15 a month.

Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hats

The easyist way to quit for good is to get perma banned a few people i know had to do it that way 

1 went into chat talking about NAMBLA Nazi Germany also put in countless tickets to GMs telling them to go fuck themselves, your a pedo, I raped your mum etc untill he got banned
    the rest just hacked in the bgs/arena IE grabbing the WSG flag and flying up into the air then going afk etc

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It's an addiction. There are many, many addictions.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Because they enjoy it?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sodiumCyclops

totally off topic, I just found out StarCraft 2 will have region locked multiplayer :(

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mono_Listo

From personal experience (having played with various groups of friends and/or coworkers in several MMOs), it's the social aspect. People will tolerate a bland gaming experience if the social interaction elevates it for them. 

Personally, a game is a game to me. Once WoW stopped entertaining me I merely quit and never thought about it. But the mechanics of that genre do tug at a person on fundamental levels, by and large.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @Kahoona:  I honestly ask myself the same question. I have tried out a lot of MMO's and every time I get to a certain point (usually around lvl 50) and just quit this is including WoW. There have been a few occasions where a MMO will come out with a expansion that might peek my interest but even then I might play it for a extra month and never go back.
    fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fini_fly

My friend was a big WoW player and got sick of having to be home all the time for raids. He told me he would get hate filled emails from people he raided with if he wasn't there. That pretty much killed it for him. So he stopped for a couple of months. Later he started up again with a new character and just played for fun, and told me that it was so much more enjoyable. 

But quiting... it's clearly an addiction. How many articles have I read about games playing so long the neglect their children, or themselves to the point of personal damage.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Because some people become too emotionally invested in that kind of games. 

- "I'm gonna leave the community but I can't do that. I made so many friends and [insert 'real life' friend's or significant other's name] will probably be sad if I playing with him/her. "
    - "My guildmates need me. Every knows I'm the best buffer. Besides, morale is so low lately that If quit the guild will probably disband."
    - "Oh my character, you're so pretty on top your brand new Mount and wielding your brand new sword. Finally after 3 years you're everything I hoped you'd be. I love you. At least until the new expansion, which is gonna like totally change the dynamics."  
    - "I can't quit [insert mmo name]. I've been playing that for 3 years every Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. It's become part of my life. Besides, what would do on  those days"?

Also, when leaving some people tend to summarize their experience and become very aware of how much they time/money invested. And it's an investment while you're still playing, but it tends to feel like a waste once you quit. You can easily spend 200-300/year on some MMO's.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @NTM said:

" WoW sucks! Ha ha, just kidding. I can't say that, I've never played it. I don't really want to either -shrugs-. Out of the many "popular" games out there, that's one I don't really care to play. Plus, don't you have to pay to play? Total crap. Oh, and wow is simply a way of getting away from reality for some I'd say. Like most other games, it's a way to get away from your daily activites that need to be done. Immersion is great, just not when it's taken too far. Second Life is a good example. That's just sad. "

You pay to play because theres constantly new content coming out. Oh and they also have to maintain their servers. Sort of like how XBL pays to maintain their servers you play on...oh wait. I think this 'escape from reality' thing has really gone too far. I played it simply because the idea of a game like WOW hadn't existed in the past (or previous MMO's just weren't that good), plus it offers something different other than run around and shoot people in the head online. Its a game, and like any game for any platform, its played for entertainment. Yes some people go to far and you hear stories of people playing for 2 weeks straight and they drop dead, but its not like anything has happened from people playing to much of any other game. I recall a kid who played COD4 so much that when his parents took it away, he ran away from home and died. Its no different, I still can't understand why people pick on MMOs so much.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 02sfraser

with WoW it's different. the game is still excellent and is moving in a more positive direction, just veteran players find it hard to let old habits die. they still like playing it but just miss the old style that they originally fell in love with

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RedneckedCrake

I've never played WoW, but it's understandable that people develop such long lasting addictions to it. It creates this feeling of satisfaction in your brain whenever you level up and you just want to keep doing it, as well as getting more items and finishing all these quests so you can be better than tons of other people at the game. I personally don't see the appeal because no matter how good you are and how many quests you've finished, millions of other people have done the same thing. 

But without having actually played the game, I can really only make inferences.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ninjakiller

The worst part is how WoW basically turned into a second job for me.  Raid Monday Tuesday Wednesday, level alts,  raid alts to get alts gear,  do bgs/arena for pvp gear, farm gold, farm mats, then they added dailies which basically admitted that the game itself was a second job.  "Pssst hey we understand you hate farming items for gold,  just do these quests over and over for about an hour a day.  It's like working a 9-5 job on wow, but should only take an hour or so at the most!" 

I quit one month after WotLK came out, I just got tired of the treadmill.  Now I have so much free time that I almost don't know what to do with it.  

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Positive reinforcement schemes, as studied by behaviourist psychologists like Skinner, that motivate people to do repetitive activities that would seem unrewarding otherwise (same with achievements, unlocks etc. etc.). Basically WoW is like being a gerbil with a food button.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Siphillis

From what I gather, WoW is such as lightweight game: it boots-up quickly, you can play it for 5 minutes or 12 hours, there's always something new to do, it costs money (which causes psychological affection), and the more you play it the more you start to affiliate your character with all your hard work. 

Don't start, kids.  Abstinence is key.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By cornbredx

(Wall of text, sorry I have alot of thoughts on this subject. Dont read if your lazy =P ) 

I always play until I hit cap when an expansion comes out.  

When I first played in 06 I played for a year and was in a raiding guild. It took to much time, but ultimately I quit because I got hacked. I came back to try BC, got cap in BC, and then quit again because BC was boring and grindy (seriously, how can pigs have no damn heart and only rare ones do? wtf!!?) and the players tend to be either very elitist (expect you to play a certain way) or very lazy (never play).  

I played frozen throne for a few months, and I found it to be the best addition to the game. The story line was much better conceived, imo. Alot of players didnt like it, but I really did. I only stopped playing this time because I have the highest gear possible outside of raiding so I wasnt really doing anything, im not big on PvP, and while my guild was really cool most players dont get to level cap so I'm basically always alone questing.  

In an MMO thats boring. Dont get me wrong- I dont mind soloing, in fact I do it alot, but sometimes you wanna do quests or content that requires multiple people. Unfortunately all my friends are on different servers so I just make friends in the game when I play but they're never at my level haha... Anyway, I got bored not doing anything so I quit again cus I cant afford to waste money these days.  

When they bring out cataclysm, and if its as fun as WoTLK but brings that to earlier parts of the game so its interesting all through leveling, then i'd consider re-rolling an alt or something. Only reason I always fail at that is doing all those levels again is REALLY BORING. 

I played SWG (star Wars Galaxies) for 5 years back in the day. I can tell you what my reasoning for that is, unfortunately I cant speak for others though. Basically you get this vast expanse of world to explore, and at first thats pretty cool. Of course playing over a course of a long time you find reasons to get bored (grinding in MMOs is the biggest killer) but if your like me and make really cool friends and start up guilds, and basically create a virtual history for yourself through things you do in the game- it just becomes a part of your life. Like the guy who goes to the beer every night and drinks and watches sports until he passes out and gets sent home. It's just another way to get through the day and forget- just focus on something else. 

Its easy to see the bad in wow, especially because its so expansive now and if you play for even a month your going to see its flaws. MMOs have always asked the players to be ok with the fact that its an on going process to make the game good. Thats why originally MMOs were a niche market. WoW somehow got more and more people to play, and continued to improve upon its foundation and thats why its the power house MMO it is today. The only thing that did that before it was the original EQ and in that time it was a niche market so basically grinding and VERY LONG RAIDS and TRAVEL TIMES were how they kept you playing. Blizzard has improved on all these "time consuming" events in the game and now has actual content. There is quite a bit of content in wow, and actually if you were to play brand new today it would be boring and time consuming. I suspect Cataclysm MIGHT see an increase again, and if its fun they may get even more player subs. Only time will tell, but they have had the chnce to keep making it better as a game only because of the fact that people respond positively to the changes of the game ultimately, despite what they say (I dont mean in words, I mean in actions- continuing to pay to play). 

I think blizzard focuses enough on the communities wants as well as what will make the game fun to play and while it drives some elitists away ultimately they get a bigger sub base because its easier to get into, despite its gigantic universe and overwhelming nature.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I wouldn't really call it an addiction for some. For most people I know, they've spent so much time making their character, making friends, etc that if they decide to quit then all their accomplishments are gone. They can't go back just to play around unless they pay up again and some would rather have the security knowing it's their when they want it rather than the disappointment of losing it. If they quit, in a weird way it's like all they did was for nothing.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hourai

WoW is only as addictive as you let it be, and the increasingly casual nature of the game makes it less demanding of your time. I started taking a break a while ago when my second main was only two levels from 80, and on my first 80 I left my raid guild when people started giving me shit for not dedicating my life to the game. It's a decent source of entertainment and a good way to waste time, but in the end it's just a single game. The world won't end if you don't get a dozen badges in a day or fall behind on progression a bit. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Azteck

You know, I've told my friends to do the same. They did for a while, which made me very happy because that meant we didn't have to talk about WoW 24/7. They started up their accounts last week though which made me and another friend most displeased. To each his own, I guess, but I cannot see why people stick around in that game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By penguindust

I quit about two years ago.  For me it was a sense of responsibility toward my guild.  I had a strong desire to be desired, useful and praised for being a good player.  I know it's messed up, but being part of a group dynamic that is accomplishing things with visual results is more rewarding than being part of group that is just one cog in a much bigger machine (aka, "work").  That's where WoW is successful.  It shows you where the goodies are and sets up obstacles in your path that are challenging but not impossible if you can just get the right group, have a decent amount of time, and a little luck.  Just one more attempt is often said during a difficult raid or quest.  And, if you fail, you have other options to improve.  So there is always something available to make you just a little bit better.  And, those improvements are visible even if they are small.  The gamer knows that each drop in the bucket will eventually measure up to something worthwhile.  I kept chipping away in hopes of being a good healer that could be counted on by members of my guild and with a reputation on my server among those not in my guild.  And, for a while, I felt I achieved that.  While I was never in the top 10, I had a following and that was a source of pride.  Giving up an illusionary sense of purpose and acceptance is hard for a lot of people.  The realization that it is ultimately meaningless is difficult to accept.  

When I did quit it was cold turkey.  I signed off as if it was any other day and never signed on again.  I feel a lot of regret for never explaining or apologizing to my guildmates, but it was better for me to cut all ties and move on.  I'm more experienced with MMOs since those days and have dabbled in other games since WoW, but I've continued to stay away from that one because of all the trappings I know exist within it. Games are supposed to be fun, and not feel like I am clocking in for work when I log on. 

LordMaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LordMaiden

I won't play it because I hear it's addictive as hell.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Laharl

For me it was friends i made in the game always pulling me back in. I always would try to keep in contact with them and after awhile i would get the guilt trip of "its so boring without you, our tanks suck, get back on with warrior and i fell for it hook line and sinker. I only quit when my friends slowly transferred to other servers or quit themselves and all of a sudden i had no reason to log on.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Icil

I lived with some addicted folk and I can say its because of your attraction to your character (and how cool he is, I mean you've shaped him for so long it makes sense that you are attached). 

Second reason's friends. WoW is just a real time Facebook where everyone's playing a million-times better version of FarmVille. To be able to share game accomplishments (and to have them shared to you) just draws you in on how great the game is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.