Why is submitting pictures worth so many more points?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I was looking at some of the top users points, and I noticed some of the users get several hundred points, if not thousands, just for submitting a lot of pictures for a person, game, etc, even sometimes without writing anything about them. Not to gripe, but doesn't this seem a little flawed to anyone else? I personally believe it takes a lot more effort to write original, good information about games than to download a bunch of pictures online and upload them here. Anyone else feel the same way?

Also, pictures of nearly-naked women seem to rack up a ridiculous amount of points. You know, if you remember the words of Jeff, 90% of the internet is already devoted to pictures of scantily-clad women. Shouldn't we try to fall within the other 10%?

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shawn

because a picture is worth a thousand words.

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pleasureizmine
Shawn said:
"because a picture is worth a thousand words.
"
wow owned
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By xruntime
Shawn said:
"because a picture is worth a thousand words.
"
You have won the thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it should be less points, duh.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

I saw a dude who got a collective 2000+ points from Hulk Hogan, person and character. What the fuck, lol.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clarke0

Well each picture is only worth like 1 point as far as I know, people just spam them a lot so they can get points.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_

No, each picture is worth one point, plus more points equal to the number of galleries the image is attached to.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Axersia

OK, so first off, don't assume that just because a user is in the Top 50 and has uploaded a lot of pics that they only upload pics. My own reason for uploading a lot of pics was so I would have full editing and page creating privileges, which isn't something I would've needed if I only wanted to upload pics.

But I do agree that people should get more points for writing articles. You're only supposed to get like 0.1 point per word (if anyone gets a few 1000 on an article, it's a bug), which simply isn't fair when you consider the time it takes to write a good article versus the time it takes to download and upload a batch of screenshots.

But this has already been brought to the attention of the staff, and whether they'll actually do something about it is up to them. But you can always let your voice be heard in the suggestions topic or make it more personal by PMing them. They do read their PMs, it just takes a while.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Absurd

When I upload pictures for a game I'm currently playing, They'll be screenshots, Not "a bunch of pictures" I downloaded.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
Axersia said:
"OK, so first off, don't assume that just because a user is in the Top 50 and has uploaded a lot of pics that they only upload pics. My own reason for uploading a lot of pics was so I would have full editing and page creating privileges, which isn't something I would've needed if I only wanted to upload pics.

But I do agree that people should get more points for writing articles. You're only supposed to get like 0.1 point per word (if anyone gets a few 1000 on an article, it's a bug), which simply isn't fair when you consider the time it takes to write a good article versus the time it takes to download and upload a batch of screenshots.

But this has already been brought to the attention of the staff, and whether they'll actually do something about it is up to them. But you can always let your voice be heard in the suggestions topic or make it more personal by PMing them. They do read their PMs, it just takes a while.
"
Hey- I totally understand. I was just describing the methodology behind image point distribution. I've been considering doing that myself, I just sorta don't have the heart to do it.
fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By fresh2deafbill

wats the big deal

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Axersia, thanks for the info, dude.

dcpc10, I wasn't assuming everyone gets the pictures from google and uploads them, but some clearly do. As for taking your own screenshots and everything, I think that's great. You should be proud that you'd put in that extra effort into contributing to the site, and if there was a way of getting rewarded bonus points for doing so, I think it should totally happen. But dude, like... I'm saying I've seen people just add a whole lot of sexy pictures of girls like Carmen Electra and just get major points for it,, when it really isn't adding much to the site and is pretty irrelevant. Not that I don't like Carmen Electra, but c'mon.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Hahaha, yeah. Lock down on it rather than award them with hundreds and hundreds of points. Dude, this just isn't the place for all that. GiantBomb should be focusing on the games, not the babes. The site's still new, though. I guess it's just gonna take some time for the place to get everything worked out. Really, I find it vaguely amusing that they'd give out so many points for these pictures of women, but when you consider that some people pour their hearts out into this site with adding game info, it's really just discouraging. It's also kind of ironic that these people will be among the first to bypass the submission moderation barrier of 1000 points, so it could totally get out of hand.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Vlademir

Idk but I recently uploaded a bunch of pictures and got nothing for them... lol

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers