• 66 results
chocomuffling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chocomuffling

Wouldn't Blizzard be able to make tons of money with it? Or are the system requirements so low that basically anyone with a PC (and everyone has one) has already decided if they like WoW or not.

-chocomuffling

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's because the console does not lend itself well to that type of game. If it did, they would have already made it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@chocomuffling said:

Wouldn't Blizzard be able to make tons of money with it? Or are the system requirements so low that basically anyone with a PC (and everyone has one) has already decided if they like WoW or not.

-chocomuffling

Because MMOs do not work on consoles. You need real good commutation at times. Also there are to many hot keys needed for each class. Not enough button on a gamepad. 
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

Many reasons but the main is that consoles don't offer the same input as pc's i.e. keyboards and mouse. Sony might be more open in that department with the PS3 natively supporting keyboard and mouse but MS are much more closed minded about that.

Salbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Salbert

They must not think they would make that much money off of it because, like you said, the system requirements are so low that anyone with a basic computer could play it on that.

But I'm almost certain they would attempt to do it if they thought they could make money off of it, regardless of the fact that many think that it wouldn't "work" on a console.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Mordukai said:

Many reasons but the main is that consoles don't offer the same input as pc's i.e. keyboards and mouse. Sony might be more open in that department with the PS3 natively supporting keyboard and mouse but MS are much more closed minded about that.

You can use keyboards on the 360.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Because how the hell would you do that?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By N7

IT'S CALLED CALL OF DUTY

OH DAAAAAAAAMN

Also tits.

chocomuffling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chocomuffling

@Video_Game_King: Special WoW-controller like the plastic guitars for Guitar Hero? Or "keyboards"?

Or option-wheels instead of the WoW-UI?

-chocomuffling

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dany

Keyboard and mouse on consoles are not happening anytime soon for games.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

the macos for the controller wouldn't work. i don't think blizzard likes console games all that much.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

no one wants to pay 60$ for online and then another 15 dollar a month on top of that.

Also they would need to make it more controller friendly

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By djstyles92

Interesting profile pic...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Barrock

Because consoles don't have 25 buttons.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By landon

How many buttons does WoW actually use? DC Online works pretty well for the PS3, but I bet it works much better on PC. If they really wanted I'm sure they could just require you to use those keypads you can buy for your controller.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By EightBitShik

Another thing to point out is this if you watch the latest QL of Super Monday Combat they talk about why they didn't want to run with a console again straight off the bat they want to be able to hot fix their games and not be limited to how big a patch can be. Blizzard would be stuck in the same problem. I have played Wow since Vanilla and have sunk in so many hours into that I probably lost my wife because of it and as much as I love the game I know they fuck up a lot and need to make changes. By being a PC title they are able to make those changes quick.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
@Landon said:

How many buttons does WoW actually use? DC Online works pretty well for the PS3, but I bet it works much better on PC. If they really wanted I'm sure they could just require you to use those keypads you can buy for your controller.

If you're raiding or pvping on a caster, something like 20-30 keybinds.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Landon said:

Depends on class but some can use upto 20 or so per fight. Maybe even more for a healer.

Also radial wheels would not work. It would not be nearly fast enough.

chocomuffling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chocomuffling

@Atramentous said:

@Landon said:

Depends on class but some can use upto 20 or so per fight. Maybe even more for a healer.

FPS movement with mouse and keyboard is also way faster than with a controller, still you have shooters on consoles. If everyone would use radial wheels the whole game would just be little bit slower. Same as for FPSs.

-chocomuffling

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By geirr

Current consoles wouldn't be able to run it well enough, Sony and MS probably wouldn't support the frequent and large updates needed, the install base for keyboard and mouse for consoles isn't big enough.. or so I'd theorize.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lockwoodx

Wow surprised nobody has told him the truth yet.

It's because console manufacturers do not wish to support old systems/old hardware for games that will persist long past the console's generation cycle. Welcome to greed and reality. Stick to the PC and you can avoid both. :D

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 71Ranchero

@chocomuffling said:

@Atramentous said:

@Landon said:

FPS movement with mouse and keyboard is also way faster than with a controller, still you have shooters on consoles. If everyone would use radial wheels the whole game would just be little bit slower. Same as for FPSs.

-chocomuffling

Do you understand just how slow you would have to make it? We arent talking shoot/reload/grenade. You are using dozens of ability's. If you slowed it down enough and stripped out most of the spells to make it work it would no longer be the same game. You might as well just be playing a multiplayer Diablo instead. I dont even want to think about how bad healing would be with Bioware style controls. Everyone would be dead before I even got to the correct heal.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainCody

@Buzzkill said:

It's because console manufacturers do not wish to support old systems/old hardware for games that will persist long past the console's generation cycle. Welcome to greed and reality. Stick to the PC and you can avoid both. :D

How about the fact that MMOs also eat RAM.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vexxan

Consoles suck when it comes to communication which it crucial since MMOs rely heavily on organized, cooperative gameplay. Plugging a keyboard/mouse in to enhance the social stuff is kinda dumb since it defeats the whole thing about the game being played on a console, might as well just play it on the computer then.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By m16mojo2

@Atramentous said:

@chocomuffling said:

@Atramentous said:

@Landon said:

-chocomuffling

Do you understand just how slow you would have to make it? We arent talking shoot/reload/grenade. You are using dozens of ability's. If you slowed it down enough and stripped out most of the spells to make it work it would no longer be the same game. You might as well just be playing a multiplayer Diablo instead. I dont even want to think about how bad healing would be with Bioware style controls. Everyone would be dead before I even got to the correct heal.

It's kind of like, taking a piss/dump, coughing, sneezing, burping, all at the same time. You just can't do it captain, you don't have the power!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti
  1. Controls (k+m is possible on console but numbers are not there)
  2. Blizzard's control over patches, fixes, content 
  3. Mods, plugins
  4. Security, Blizzard has complete and total lockdown of it's client. That bitch monitors RAM. It's even a bit invasive.
  5. RAM. With the amount of players in major cities, ram actualy becomes an important resource that heavily affects how fast those hundreds of people and all their gear loads.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts

You pretty much need keyboard and mouse to play it. Also we can see your name above your post so signing everything is fucking stupid.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

Can't hotkey a gamepad. Also how would you allow for the multitude of add-ons the game has? And then there is the voice-chat problem. Independent voice-chats like Ventrilo or Mumble are necessary because the in-game option is practically unusable. MMOs that appear on consoles need to be designed from the start with that platform in mind. Shoehorning a PC game into the console restricted abilities would just provide an underwhelming experience for the gamer and piss off the exisiting WOW community.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@chocomuffling said:

-chocomuffling

Because MMOs do not work on consoles. You need real good commutation at times. Also there are to many hot keys needed for each class. Not enough button on a gamepad.

Console users typically communicate a lot more, and much easier with head sets. The fact you still see people in PC MMO's typing is frankly rather antiquated.

The amount of content updates is probably the only reason, as it would all go through Microsoft or Sony and cost an absolute fortune. The fact most are desigened to have a lot of hot keys and such is problematic too, but expect that to change gradually.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lockwoodx

@CaptainCody said:

@Buzzkill said:

How about the fact that MMOs also eat RAM.

There's really no excuse for consoles to not have upgradeable ram by this point. Hell, back in 2000 I could upgrade my Dreamcast's dial-up with a broadband adapter.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Deleth

@Barrock said:

Because consoles don't have 25 buttons.

Wanna do Arena with a Shaman? MANY! Like very very many.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeF

Interface.

It's not hard to figure out why, as everyone pointed it out already.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nux

MMOs+Consoles=very bad. They don't work well together, I believed we learned that from FF11.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Wasn't Phantasy Star Online pretty good?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lockwoodx

@NekuSakuraba said:

Wasn't Phantasy Star Online pretty good?

Not a mmo. It was basically diablo in space.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By MysteriousBob

Because the console makers would want a cut of all business transitions, I imagine. Also, RAM limitations, I guess.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Enigma777

Nice ava

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JoeyRavn

I assume that it's a nightmare to roll an update with Microsoft and Sony's certification processes. Think about hotfixes! Yeah, lol, "hotfixes".

ButtDiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ButtDiver

lol

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrKlorox

It's just not necessary. I have a feeling the next MMO will be "made with consoles in mind"...

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By matthias2437

So many reasons. First off the current gen consoles could not run WoW smoothly during things like boss fights, were even decent PC's can lag. Second playing WoW with a controller would be hard as hell (I have done it, not fun at all) and because the way the targeting system works it would be almost imposible to get the accurasy you need. Being a healer trying to heal 24 other people in a raid with a controller=wipe all day.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UnrealDP

@chocomuffling: Does there really need to be? Blizzards already making billions off WoW every year just off the PC alone and it would basically have to be on the PS3 only with Microsoft's weird restrictions, also Blizzard is one of the last big PC only game developers and that's a huge draw for a ton of people. Last point, why would you play a console version when you could play a PC version with a night and day quality difference? This isn't an FPS, controllers and Xbox Live don't lend themselves to a chat window or anything else MMO's do.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By imsh_pl

Limited communication and UI customization, not enough buttons, additional fee in case of playing on the X360

-imsh_pl

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kashif1

@Landon said:

DC does not work better for the pc, its pretty clear that they had consoles in mind while designing it. Its perfectly fine on the pc but ps3 feels more natural.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HydraHam

Because consoles refuse to evolve by allowing keyboard/mouse support.

Why they haven't allowed it yet is beyond fucking me, at least sony has allowed it on 2 games so far (that i know of), hopefully next generation will allow it, not only will it allow for better MMO's on consoles it will bring in a whole new audience, and before the console babies complain about unfairness there is an easy workaround, just like KZ3 make it where you can search for "controller only" or KB/M only or "all".

There is a reason DCU failed, well.. multiple but part of the failure (on the console side) was the controller controls was clunky and un-fun, maybe some enjoy it but it would of been 1000x better if it allowed KB/M. Hell make it where only sony console/microsoft console branded mouse/keyboards work, i don't care i will over pay long as they support it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jimbo

First one to figure out MMO on console is going to make a fortune. It might not actually be WoW, but it could be a WoW-sized cash cow.  I still wouldn't be surprised if this is what ends up coming out of Bungie & Blizz sexing each other up.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#47  Edited By sammo21

@The_Laughing_Man: MMOs don't work because no one has done it right yet. Microsoft is too restricting and not many people want to do a PS3/PC exclusive mmo.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lockwoodx

@Jimbo said:

First one to figure out MMO on console is going to make a fortune. It might not actually be WoW, but it could be a WoW-sized cash cow. I still wouldn't be surprised if this is what ends up coming out of Bungie & Blizz sexing each other up.

Except they won't make a fortune because the money will be too spread out. Imagine how huge of a cut Micro$oft would take just for allowing a mmorpg to run on xboxlive, then the live gold membership on top of that. With such an extremely high failure rate of mmorpgs, and console makers taking their cut up front, there's no way studios could survive beyond the greed of their platform host. It's like when a film director is choosing a location to shoot his film, the local governments throw tax breaks and incentives for the film maker to make the movie in their area. With video games industry it's the poor studio who has to lobby the console giants and pay hefty fees in order to develop for their platforms when it should be the other way around. Luckily there's always the PC which is tax free to develop for, so that's where you'll find the majority of good mmos. Until console makers can get past their own greed and properly support a mmo studio, then you might see good games like DCoU last longer than 6 months before going F2P.

Planetside 2 has the potential to be a big MMO hit if they manage to make it cross platform. Good luck getting gamers to pay a subscription fee for a FPS when everyone is burned out on them tho, so we'll just have to wait and see. It's still a long ways off.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimbo
@Buzzkill said:

@Jimbo said:

First one to figure out MMO on console is going to make a fortune. It might not actually be WoW, but it could be a WoW-sized cash cow. I still wouldn't be surprised if this is what ends up coming out of Bungie & Blizz sexing each other up.

Except they won't make a fortune because the money will be too spread out. Imagine how huge of a cut Micro$oft would take just for allowing a mmorpg to run on xboxlive, then the live gold membership on top of that. With such an extremely high failure rate of mmorpgs, and console makers taking their cut up front, there's no way studios could survive beyond the greed of their platform host. It's like when a film director is choosing a location to shoot his film, the local governments throw tax breaks and incentives for the film maker to make the movie in their area. With video games industry it's the poor studio who has to lobby the console giants and pay hefty fees in order to develop for their platforms when it should be the other way around. Luckily there's always the PC which is tax free to develop for, so that's where you'll find the majority of good mmos. Until console makers can get past their own greed and properly support a mmo studio, then you might see good games like DCoU last longer than 6 months before going F2P.

Planetside 2 has the potential to be a big MMO hit if they manage to make it cross platform. Good luck getting gamers to pay a subscription fee for a FPS when everyone is burned out on them tho, so we'll just have to wait and see. It's still a long ways off.

I disagree. I think Activision has the leverage (Microsoft would lose a fortune in subs if Activision ever decided to take their CoD ball and go home) to cut a deal which will work for them and the console operators. I'm not talking about there being a stack of MMOs on consoles, or anything second tier like DCoU, I'm talking about one massive title with a massive dev/publisher behind it breaking big and absolutely dominating, much like WoW has dominated the PC MMO market for years. If that happens, there will be plenty enough money to go around for everybody - publisher and console operator would both be swimming in money if they managed to pull something off even half as successful as WoW.  At one point WoW was pulling down something like $2 billion a year, which is just a ridiculous amount of money - at that sort of level it doesn't matter how many ways it ends up getting split, everybody is going to get rich.

If console gamers are prepared to keep paying through the nose for map packs, Gold membership, DLC etc. I see no reason to believe that there isn't a market for a subscription MMO on consoles.  How I see it working would be Microsoft getting a cut of the subs (and the standard disc tax) instead of the players needing XBLGold membership.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Meowshi

@Dany said:

Keyboard and mouse on consoles are not happening anytime soon for games.

Do you people even own consoles? How can you be so misinformed? They may not be supported by game developers, but they certainly exist.