SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By SpinCookie
Cheapoz said:
"I think it's also a valid point (since I unintentionally made it), that MS knows not only HOW to market a game, but that their games have something MARKETABLE about them."
I can agree with that, but only to a certain extent.  I wouldn't go so far as to say Sony can't market a game.

You have to think back to the first Halo, I was in high school then and I don't remember there being any stellar marketing campaign.  I think that game did really well because it was a very very good shooter.  Word got around and it sold more copies.  Now Microsoft can sell anything with the Halo name, after that initial word of mouth spread, and after the game proved itself.

I think Sony is in the same boat now with Killzone, once people play it (assuming it's good, I haven't played it) then they will start to spread the word that it's actually a good game, then it will get more popular, leading to more sales, leading to a better and more recognized marketing campaign for the next game.

My main point is that you're saying Killzone has nothing recognizable about it in terms of a marketing campaign, that's becauase it isn't that popular and well known yet.  Halo didn't have anything that recognizable about it at first, then it became synonomous with a great FPS after it released and after people played it.  Once Killzone has a chance to catch on and prove itself, you'll start seeing those glowing red eyes at bus stops and on billboards.  There isn't anything there to market yet because it doens't mean anything to the customer yet.  Give it time, just like it had to happen with Halo, and then once it's gotten it's praise (again, assuming it's actually good), you'll start seeing that stuff.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Cheapoz
SpinCookie said:
"Cheapoz said:
"I think it's also a valid point (since I unintentionally made it), that MS knows not only HOW to market a game, but that their games have something MARKETABLE about them."
I can agree with that, but only to a certain extent.  I wouldn't go so far as to say Sony can't market a game.

You have to think back to the first Halo, I was in high school then and I don't remember there being any stellar marketing campaign.  I think that game did really well because it was a very very good shooter.  Word got around and it sold more copies.  Now Microsoft can sell anything with the Halo name, after that initial word of mouth spread, and after the game proved itself.

I think Sony is in the same boat now with Killzone, once people play it (assuming it's good, I haven't played it) then they will start to spread the word that it's actually a good game, then it will get more popular, leading to more sales, leading to a better and more recognized marketing campaign for the next game.

My main point is that you're saying Killzone has nothing recognizable about it in terms of a marketing campaign, that's becauase it isn't that popular and well known yet.  Halo didn't have anything that recognizable about it at first, then it became synonomous with a great FPS after it released and after people played it.  Once Killzone has a chance to catch on and prove itself, you'll start seeing those glowing red eyes at bus stops and on billboards.  There isn't anything there to market yet because it doens't mean anything to the customer yet.  Give it time, just like it had to happen with Halo, and then once it's gotten it's praise (again, assuming it's actually good), you'll start seeing that stuff."
I can see your point about Halo not being a raging success of marketing originally, but they had a built in hook for future marketing. Like someone said, their hook is Master Chief, I'd go even simpler, it's a big green robot guy with an orange visor, you don't need to know his name. Even my mum knows he's from some video game, I reckon she'd almost guess it's Halo as well.
As for glowing red eyes on bus stops? I've already provided examples of this already used in marketing (Transformers 2), and someone also posted a T-800, same deal. It's not a point of difference if it's been done countless times before, I want to know what's different about KZ2, not what's good.

Also, to our resident GB KZ2 FB (fanboy), you mention that there's some different looking environments in the game, where are they?! Never seen em, sorry, and I tend to read Joystiq/Kotaku/GB daily. Remember when Gears 2 started marketing this year, the first thing they showed us was the assault derricks level. It was a clear indication that "look, this game's not all brown, we've got green now!!". They made a real point of it, I'd love to see KZ2 do the same.

And the 'Opera of Death' video I feel feeds into this whole argument. If I could be bothered I'd love to write some captions underneath it.

"Look, it's a game / where you shoot guys / with guns / yeah / big guns / and it's mostly grey / mmmm / guns / KILLZONE 2"
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By PercyChuggs

It's not everywhere because Sony's marketing in the last 2-3 years has been terrible. That's why.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SpinCookie
PercyChuggs said:
"It's not everywhere because Sony's marketing in the last 2-3 years has been terrible. That's why."
Wrong, see my post above yours.
SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SpinCookie
Cheapoz said:
"SpinCookie said:
"Cheapoz said:

My main point is that you're saying Killzone has nothing recognizable about it in terms of a marketing campaign, that's becauase it isn't that popular and well known yet.  Halo didn't have anything that recognizable about it at first, then it became synonomous with a great FPS after it released and after people played it.  Once Killzone has a chance to catch on and prove itself, you'll start seeing those glowing red eyes at bus stops and on billboards.  There isn't anything there to market yet because it doens't mean anything to the customer yet.  Give it time, just like it had to happen with Halo, and then once it's gotten it's praise (again, assuming it's actually good), you'll start seeing that stuff."
I can see your point about Halo not being a raging success of marketing originally, but they had a built in hook for future marketing. Like someone said, their hook is Master Chief, I'd go even simpler, it's a big green robot guy with an orange visor, you don't need to know his name. Even my mum knows he's from some video game, I reckon she'd almost guess it's Halo as well.
As for glowing red eyes on bus stops? I've already provided examples of this already used in marketing (Transformers 2), and someone also posted a T-800, same deal. It's not a point of difference if it's been done countless times before, I want to know what's different about KZ2, not what's good.

Also, to our resident GB KZ2 FB (fanboy), you mention that there's some different looking environments in the game, where are they?! Never seen em, sorry, and I tend to read Joystiq/Kotaku/GB daily. Remember when Gears 2 started marketing this year, the first thing they showed us was the assault derricks level. It was a clear indication that "look, this game's not all brown, we've got green now!!". They made a real point of it, I'd love to see KZ2 do the same.

And the 'Opera of Death' video I feel feeds into this whole argument. If I could be bothered I'd love to write some captions underneath it.

"Look, it's a game / where you shoot guys / with guns / yeah / big guns / and it's mostly grey / mmmm / guns / KILLZONE 2"
"
I get what you're saying about Master Chief being recognizable, good point.

As for the Opera video, I actually thought that was pretty cool.  I think the main reason of that was to show off how good the game looks.  Whether you like the color palette or now, you gotta admit it's a really really good looking game.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By shadows_kill
Rayfield said:
"I'm sure the game will be great and the franchise will continue to sell a bunch but seriously, what kind of stoner asshole called it KILLZONE?

Why not WAR ARENA?

DEATH GAME?

SHOOTING GUNS AT DUDES?"
killzone is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better name than your other choices.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Hook or not, if this is a good game, it really shouldn't matter.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By get2sammyb
Cheapoz said:
"Also, to our resident GB KZ2 FB (fanboy), you mention that there's some different looking environments in the game, where are they?! Never seen em, sorry, and I tend to read Joystiq/Kotaku/GB daily. Remember when Gears 2 started marketing this year, the first thing they showed us was the assault derricks level. It was a clear indication that "look, this game's not all brown, we've got green now!!". They made a real point of it, I'd love to see KZ2 do the same.

"
Because they haven't shown any of the other areas yet. There's a desert environment (don't tell me that looks grey), a space ship and a couple of others from what the people who've finished it on NeoGaf have said. That doesn't mean there will be a rich green forest and a bright blue sea, because that wouldn't make sense. In the context of the game the player is invading the Helghan planet - the Helghast are a space equivalent of Nazi Germany in the future. Hence the fact that it's very dark and gothic. Which is something the developers deny anyway.

By your own reasoning I'm assuming you think the original Gears Of War couldn't be marketed because it didn't have any variation? Also, it seems by your reasoning we're to assume Resident Evil 5 will only appear in that one village -- after all final games never include content the developers don't want to be revealed before release right?

As for the comments on "it's a game where you shoot guys with guns". Well welcome to shooters; essentially that's what they're all about. Stop trying to pull "criticisms" that we could easily turn on a game you probably really like (be it Gears, CoD, Halo, Goldeneye, whatever you like). It's invalid. It's a first person shooter; by nature it means you shoot things. Did you expect to be catching fluffy rabbits in a rainbow coloured net?

I'm all for originality but sometimes you have to conform. It's like saying you can be emo without wearing eyeliner.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Cheapoz
SpinCookie said:
"Cheapoz said:
"SpinCookie said:
"Cheapoz said:

"
I get what you're saying about Master Chief being recognizable, good point.

As for the Opera video, I actually thought that was pretty cool.  I think the main reason of that was to show off how good the game looks.  Whether you like the color palette or now, you gotta admit it's a really really good looking game."
No doubt, it's the most damn impressive looking game I've ever seen. And the video is cool, there can be no doubt. Just not, different.
But after playing nothing but COD4 and Gears 1/2 for the last 12 months, I'm slowly getting shooter fatigue. I need compelling game play to have me rush out there and get a PS3, and a copy of KZ2. 
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Cheapoz
Bullet_Jr said:
"Hook or not, if this is a good game, it really shouldn't matter."
Incorrect. Marketing, and perception, is everything. Good games are good and all, well marketed games are system sellers. I would've thought Sony would be making more of this is all.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm just worried that Sony is making the "this will sell itself" mistake yet again.

The bright yellow-orange KILLZONE 2 logo and the Helghast are both very marketable. That Killzone cover would look absolutely jaw-dropping in "20-story building" ad format.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By BiggerBomb
get2sammyb said:
"Ok - the GiantBomb's resident Killzone fanboy opinion on this post: to some degree I agree with the original poster. However over time I've began to think of Killzone less and less as being super-generic.

This time last year, the mention of anything Killzone related made me think "another shooter, really grey, generic but probably going to be fun". But since I've followed this game super closely over the last year I realise there is more to it than that. I point you into the direction of the "Art and Audio" interview on GameTrailers where they talk about the design of the planet, the universe and the general themes of the game. It's actually rather interesting for anyone who has a slight interest in the game: they talk about the way the landscapes and buildings had to be designed with intimidation at the core. They make references to Nazi Germany. It's quite interesting.

I do agree that Killzone 2 is a bit generic in terms of what it is and I understand the Fallout 3 reference but I'd assume the bright orange eyes are the hook with Killzone 2. I actually think the Helghast look really cool but that's my opinion.

However, if that's the case I don't understand why Sony's marketing doesn't think outside the box a little (EMPLOY ME PLEASE) -- why can't they take an in-game screenshot, increase the size of it and whack that on a bus stop. They could head the image with "In-Game Footage" and foot it with the "Killzone 2" logo. At the end of the day I feel like Killzone 2 is the kind of game that will sell itself by people seeing the actual product.

Personally I'd like to see playable demos in stores and a really simple advert like the "Ballet Of Death". That's what will sell Killzone 2.

EDIT: And those that aren't sure what the story is all about, you can read all what's happened prior to Killzone 2 on the Killzone website."

And that means absolutely nothing to a pedestrian in New York City, seeing ads on on billboards and taxi cabs. The TC isn't saying that Killzone 2 sucks, he's saying it does not have an overt attraction; one which will grab the attention of consumers who do not visit such sites as GiantBomb.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By get2sammyb

At the end of the day they just need to put 30 seconds of someone playing the game fronted and footed by "Actual In Game Footage" and "Killzone 2 -- Only On Playstation 3". Put that on HD channels, relevent programmes and before movies (I can't think of one coming out though?) and the game will sell itself.

But Sony need to take the effort to get that commercial out there. And some demo pods in stores.

They really don't need to do much else. It's not like LittleBigPlanet where they have to actually communicate what the game is.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cheapoz
get2sammyb said:
They really don't need to do much else. It's not like LittleBigPlanet where they have to actually communicate what the game is."
...and even then, give no real clear indication either. They packed in LBP here with consoles, I don't know how they sold many more copies of it though because ads that run here made it look like a colourful kids platformer, and not much else.

Biggerbomb is correct. Glowing red eyes on NYC skyscrapers and taxis will do nothing. 

Can anyone who has played KZ1/2 actually tell me what IS compelling in the game? I'm actually starting to get interested to find out for myself...