Why No Singers Means No Gamerscore

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Rhythm games have been a personal favorite of mine since the original Guitar Hero launched in 2005. Since then, we've had countless sequels and advancements in the music game formula, most notably, four player band play. What was once a gamer's pipe dream quickly became a beautiful reality in 2007 when former Guitar Hero developer Harmonix released the critically acclaimed Rock Band that allowed players to play the drums, bass, guitar, and even sing. The game was a key evolutionary step in the genre we all know and love, and spawned imitators like Guitar Hero World Tour and (yikes) Rock Revolution.  

Achievements, like rhythm games, are one of my favorite things about gaming today. While they hold no real baring over anything besides in game unlockables and the much-debated "Gamerscore", I've always felt they added a nice, rewarding touch to the games I already loved so much. The replayability of a game is severely increased for me with achievements, and keep it in my console long after the main story is complete. I usually try to get the very most Gamerscore out of a game before I shelve it, taking a bit of pride in the amount of points I have from a game.  

With these facts in mind, one can imagine the joy I felt when Guitar Hero II was released for the Xbox 360 back in 2007. Aside from being one of my favorite games on the PS2, achievements and leaderboards were added in for a replayability boost. While I didn't max the game out, I managed to get the majority of the achievements. With Guitar Hero III, I toiled away for months at the list, which proved to be some of the most difficult achievements I've ever earned (Beat TTFAF on expert, FC 20 expert songs, etc.). Despite their difficulty, the reward was that much greater for me.  

Enter Rock Band and Rock Band 2. With these games, you weren't just depending on yourself and another guitarist for those achievements, you needed a four player band. With these games, Rock Band 2 especially, many of the achievements were only accomplishable with four players: A guitarist, a drummer, a bassist, and..... 

......A singer.  

Finally we get to the heart of my problems. I barely got any substantial achievements from Rock Band 1 due to the fact that no one around me had the game and you needed a local partner to get most of them. Thankfully this was done away with in Rock Band 2 in favor of an online tour. Still, the four player achievements remained, and I felt more than capable of getting them. The only trouble was that the achievements mandated four players (or encouraged them anyway) and the most I could ever come up with was three, only once did I ever find a singer.  

Why doesn't anyone want to get on the mic? 

There seem to be a number of factors, but one accounts for the majority of the problem: The risk of embarrassment.  

Many people, myself included, lack the courage to sing in their living space in front of family and friends, or maybe they just feel akward singing alone. Whatever the reason may be, the lack of singers online over Xbox Live has hurt my overall score in games like RB2, GH: World Tour, GH: Metallica, and GH5. Take for example, the newly released Guitar Hero 5. There's a 20 point achievement for simply playing an eight player band vs band match. That's two drummers, two bassists, two guitarists, and two vocalists. Without any difficulty requirements, one would think this achievement would be one of the easiest in the game, right? Wrong.  

Just tonight I tried searching for a Band VS Band match, even going as far as to hooking up a second controller and mic in front of a fan while I played guitar. That would mean I'd only need to find one vocalist. I stared at a matchmaking screen for over an hour, getting up to seven players every so often, and then researching because no vocalists were playing. Bare in mind the fact that I tried searching every difficulty in the game, tried searching as just a singer, and even as just a guitarist, and still found the same results.   

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any solutions on how to get into games easier? Is anyone a singer that would like to help a poor guy get some achievements? I want to hear your voices, because you sure as hell aren't using them on Xbox Live! (Ok that was awful sorry...) 

And I'm sorry if this is tl;dr. Just look at the last two paragraphs if you want the main idea of what I'm trying to say here.    

ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ImHungryx10

Dude singing is really fresh. It's fun to hop on the mic after playing hours of drums and guitar.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

yeah, a lot of people don't want to sing. it's the problem with that is nobody wants to sing. it maybe only good if ur wasted or something but that is about it. so go find some alcoholics that would like to sing.  i would say look for people like here that would want to sing for u. i don't have the game i just wanted to see what this thread was about. i have played it at my friend's house.

ysselzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ysselzor

singing is so much fun a few days back i went to a karaoke bar and did a few songs it was very fun 
you should give it a try 
if you are too shy get drunk then maybe you will be able to sing it works for most people 
I would help you out with those achievements but i gave all my rock band stuff to a friend. I think I should get it back to play the Beatles that looks fun  

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By clubsandwich

I actually love to sing, is my favorite instrument, too bad I don't have XBL Gold anymore, when I played on XBL I would only pick the microphone beause I suck at guitar and bass, and I don't have drums (I suck at them too either way), I can do pretty good at singing, I can complete satisfactoyr (within the 80% - 100% range) most of the songs on expert (there are a few songs that I just can't complete because they're too difficult for me, like White Wedding and Drain You) hopefully I'll get another year subscription and can play with the GB community. :)

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bubahula

singing can be fuckin awesome if your with friends, cause half the time we all and up singing and acting like idiots together
Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Shaunage

Me and all my mates sing pretty happily, but you're right. It is basically impossible to get into a Band v Band game in any of the GH games that have included them.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fei

I primarily sing. Sorry for your plight.