Why should Americans get different boxes and editions?

Darkfie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Darkfie1d

No Caption Provided

While the Idea of a guy who lives in a country where almost 98% of consumers don’t pay for the software they use complaining about retail box differences is dramatically odd, you who feel the same way might give a minute or two to think about it as well.

Really, why? Well I said I live in a country, erm, you know people use illegal almost everything software-wise, but I pay for my games, and use softwares that are free to use or has a free version of that like Winamp, Nero (Essentials), AVG Free, etc, etc..

With that being said and not to mention our poor yearly income compare to the rest of the world, I spent too-F***ing-much on PC and Video games, not just because comparing to my salary they’re expensive, but because there’s no official distributor in my country (read Iran), and stores who provide games, they themselves buy those games from retailers and have shipment costs and of course their own benefit adds it up. Yet, I have fairly good reason for that: “I LOVE COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES”!

However, I never liked the idea of game’s boxes are different region to region, US to Europe. And just because I’m happened to be much more closer to Europe than US, and because my country happens to be a PAL region, since middle-east is a PAL region, region, most of the shop and store owners bring in products exist in the official region distributor in Dubai, UAE. So yes, European boxes, tiny lil’ boxes, no extra stuff that you might find in US boxes, not as good looking since they’re just a game disk and manual in a shitty quality DVD cover. I wouldn’t mind buying a Collector’s/Limited edition for twice the price, but that’s not gonna happen! Wanna know why? I‘ll tell ya.

I was waiting for Resident Evil 5 collector’s edition and I was so happy with all the stuff I was going to get out of it; Chris’ action figure, BSAA badge, an Africa necklace, bonus DVD, steelbox…

But I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG! Because the Europe’s got a special edition which there’s only the game’s blu-ray disk, bonus DVD and the steelbox. Imagine that. It’s not the first time this happens to me, but I’m not used to it.

Back when Half-Life 2 released, I waited for collector’s edition package which was awesome wad so much cool stuff in it and I bought it along with GuildWars from amazon.com with the help of a family relative in US, they brought it with them as they were going to come to visit Iran.

My box was destroyed and my beautiful GuildWars box looked like someone with a lot of extra pound sat on it. And not to mention I waited 6 months for that to happen. That day I said to myself: “I’m not going to do that again, ever!”

So when I bought World of WarCraft, despite the lust I’ve had for the collector’s box, I just digitally purchased the game and Burning Crusade expansion, hard times.

This has become a pain in my back, but I have to bear with it. As long as our so-called politicians (I mean Iranian politicians) can’t understand the world and realize what they think isn’t the will of the people, I’m going to suffer even more.  but, that doesn’t change the fact that packages in Europe and US should be different and be charged for the same price, even more expensive, as Europeans currency is Euro and costs a lot more than USD$.

PS: the picture shows some of my games, not all of them, beside I have somewhat lot of games on my PSN ID and Steam account.

No Caption Provided
Darkfie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Darkfie1d

No Caption Provided

While the Idea of a guy who lives in a country where almost 98% of consumers don’t pay for the software they use complaining about retail box differences is dramatically odd, you who feel the same way might give a minute or two to think about it as well.

Really, why? Well I said I live in a country, erm, you know people use illegal almost everything software-wise, but I pay for my games, and use softwares that are free to use or has a free version of that like Winamp, Nero (Essentials), AVG Free, etc, etc..

With that being said and not to mention our poor yearly income compare to the rest of the world, I spent too-F***ing-much on PC and Video games, not just because comparing to my salary they’re expensive, but because there’s no official distributor in my country (read Iran), and stores who provide games, they themselves buy those games from retailers and have shipment costs and of course their own benefit adds it up. Yet, I have fairly good reason for that: “I LOVE COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES”!

However, I never liked the idea of game’s boxes are different region to region, US to Europe. And just because I’m happened to be much more closer to Europe than US, and because my country happens to be a PAL region, since middle-east is a PAL region, region, most of the shop and store owners bring in products exist in the official region distributor in Dubai, UAE. So yes, European boxes, tiny lil’ boxes, no extra stuff that you might find in US boxes, not as good looking since they’re just a game disk and manual in a shitty quality DVD cover. I wouldn’t mind buying a Collector’s/Limited edition for twice the price, but that’s not gonna happen! Wanna know why? I‘ll tell ya.

I was waiting for Resident Evil 5 collector’s edition and I was so happy with all the stuff I was going to get out of it; Chris’ action figure, BSAA badge, an Africa necklace, bonus DVD, steelbox…

But I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG! Because the Europe’s got a special edition which there’s only the game’s blu-ray disk, bonus DVD and the steelbox. Imagine that. It’s not the first time this happens to me, but I’m not used to it.

Back when Half-Life 2 released, I waited for collector’s edition package which was awesome wad so much cool stuff in it and I bought it along with GuildWars from amazon.com with the help of a family relative in US, they brought it with them as they were going to come to visit Iran.

My box was destroyed and my beautiful GuildWars box looked like someone with a lot of extra pound sat on it. And not to mention I waited 6 months for that to happen. That day I said to myself: “I’m not going to do that again, ever!”

So when I bought World of WarCraft, despite the lust I’ve had for the collector’s box, I just digitally purchased the game and Burning Crusade expansion, hard times.

This has become a pain in my back, but I have to bear with it. As long as our so-called politicians (I mean Iranian politicians) can’t understand the world and realize what they think isn’t the will of the people, I’m going to suffer even more.  but, that doesn’t change the fact that packages in Europe and US should be different and be charged for the same price, even more expensive, as Europeans currency is Euro and costs a lot more than USD$.

PS: the picture shows some of my games, not all of them, beside I have somewhat lot of games on my PSN ID and Steam account.

No Caption Provided
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I know English isn't your first language, but I'm having trouble understanding- are you saying, "Why should Americans get different boxes and editions?" or are you saying "Americans should get worse versions" or something?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By End_Boss

Uh, last I checked my copy of Left 4 Dead came in a shitty DVD box with tiny little inserts. I live in North Carolina.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Er, US boxes are generally uglier than PAL ones, and the packaging is the same. Are you sure you're buying legit software?

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Meh, only some Collector's Editions differ. ...or maybe a lot of them do, I wouldn't really know since I'm not particularly keen on departing from more of my money for a bunch of neat but ultimately rather worthless extras. But sure, it's a bummer that not all versions are created equal. As a member of PAL-land you should be used to getting shafted though.

Darkfie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Darkfie1d

Thanks for commenting guys.
@Jayge - I meant the first one some how. And I know I'm not good at English :P, sorry if my sentences are confusing.

@End_Boss and Meowayne - well I can say for sure but me and some of my friends who buy sometimes different versions - I mean PAL or US - often seem to have much different packages, mostly on PC games. take Age of Conan or Warhammer Online or even Wrath of the Lich King for example. all 3 have better boxes and some extra things in them reguallar versions, not collector's edition. on consoles boxes are the same, not much differences there on the boxing side. And I'm sure i'm buying legit stuff, cause you know I register them imediately after so believe me I know that.

@VibratingDonkey - well I love collector's box and I just don't know why. and I really don't show them off, I just enjoy them :D.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

The packaging for American things is usually worse but I do think we should get the same collector's editions as America. Seeing the Resident Evil 5 one full of goodies and all I get is a bonus disc, it's quite disheartening.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus

It was perfectly clear, he wants the same shiny awesome high-quality game products that us Americans have. I lived in a PAL country for two years around the launch of the 360, and it sucked! I was importing Gamecube games and stuff, lol.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

Your point is taken, but you should really be angry at the Japanese. They normally get the absolute best collectors editions and extra goodies...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
Darkfie1d said:
"Thanks for commenting guys.@Jayge - I meant the first one some how. And I know I'm not good at English :P, sorry if my sentences are confusing. @End_Boss and Meowayne - well I can say for sure but me and some of my friends who buy sometimes different versions - I mean PAL or US - often seem to have much different packages, mostly on PC games. take Age of Conan or Warhammer Online or even Wrath of the Lich King for example. all 3 have better boxes and some extra things in them reguallar versions, not collector's edition. on consoles boxes are the same, not much differences there on the boxing side. And I'm sure i'm buying legit stuff, cause you know I register them imediately after so believe me I know that. @VibratingDonkey - well I love collector's box and I just don't know why. and I really don't show them off, I just enjoy them :D."
To be honest, American box arts usually suck compared to the PAL box arts, so you're getting the better deal in that case. As for special editions, I have no answer for you. I was never really aware of Europeans getting such different special editions. That definitely sucks.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

Forget the box, you're supposed  to buy that stuff for what is inside the box.