Why so hard to read?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scooper

I don't like to kick a dead horse but seriously, why does some of the text on this site have to be so close to the same shade as the backround. I don't know why it's like that. I think I heard someone here say it's because they want the not-so-important text to not stand out so much. They're right because it's a real strain to read if you're sitting back relaxing. You've got to peer forward to even see it let alone read it. I didn't even notice the "HISTORY, FAVORITES, FRIENDS, PREFERENCES, SEARCH" text was there for weeks.

Here's an example where it's hard to read the text, emphasized by the huge contrast on the Bombcast page.

It's not impossible to read but I don't know why you guys can't just up it a few shades. It doesn't seem like a massive workload yet it would make the whole thing more readable.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I agree, it is kinda dumb

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

I don't get it, I've never had a problem reading any text on this site. Do I just have really good vision?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60
@Drebin_893 said:
" I don't get it, I've never had a problem reading any text on this site. Do I just have really good vision? "
Me neither.
edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By edtwo

it would be nice but i dont really have a problem with it

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

No problems from me. Maybe because I ctrl +'d the site until it took up the whole screen...

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

It's not the size of the text it's just when you're sitting back it's kinda hard to distinguish the text from the black backround that easily. 

The shade of grey that they use for the bit under my post for instance (The "Posted X hours, X minutes ago" text) is absolutely fine and looks good. I don't know why they can't up the shade to that. It would be totally fine, then. I don't understand why it's so taboo to have things have a lighter shade of grey.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tmthomsen

People have different brightness/contrast settings on their monitors, so it will of course be easier to read for some than others. Personally, I can easily read it, but my monitor is also tuned to be quite bright.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bubahula

ive never had a problem i love it cause its easy on the eyes :D

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike

This was a design decision and is not a bug. Moving out of Bug Reporting.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By hatking

I'm not a fan of the violent contrast on the Bombcast page, but the rest of the site seems okay to me.  I'm not against changing it though if anybody is having trouble reading it.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Absurd

Seems easy enough to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's fine to me, maybe turn your brightness up?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail

IT USED TO BE YELLOW!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yeah its kinda annoying. i support you fully and will donate blood to serve your cause. rock on brother \m/
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Diamond

The text on Giant Bomb is great for a LCD, shit for a CRT.  Simple as that, CRT isn't being taken into consideration with the site design.  At least not a properly calibrated CRT.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daryl

I have issues with the text and stuff. Especially on the Achievements page when I wanna check Last Played. I end up highlighting a lot with the mouse.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Hamst3r

For fucks sake guys, calibrate your monitors. The text is not too dark, it's your monitor that's too dark.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper
@Hamst3r said:
"  For fucks sake guys, calibrate your monitors. The text is not too dark, it's your monitor that's too dark. "

I only want it up a couple shades, I don't have any problem with anything else in this site or any other website or game.
It's not a massive issue and I'm sorry if it makes you feel agitated or upset.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper

No Caption Provided

I have one of those older Box monitors with the glass window (My friend has an LCD and I just find it arkward).

When it's daytime especialy and I'm sitting back just browsing the site it's kind of a pain to read some text like these release dates. Let me be clear - all other shades of grey on this site are perfectely readable and are completely fine for me. When there are a bunch of bright images surround this text it's hard for me and a few people to read it easily. Unless my brightness settings is on either extremes of light and dark I think I should be able to read any text on any website or game. I shouldn't have* to adjust it for 1 shade that's on a limited amount of text on 1 site.

I know I don't have too but I don't know why everyone bites your head off if you even mention the shade of text.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Drebin_893 said:
" I don't get it, I've never had a problem reading any text on this site. Do I just have really good vision? "
It just depends.  Some people find dark text on light backgrounds very difficult to look at, while some of us have the opposite problem (hint:  This website is almost impossible for some of us to look at!) They really need to bring back the option for the white background.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scooper
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Drebin_893 said:
It just depends.  Some people find dark text on light backgrounds very difficult to look at, while some of us have the opposite problem (hint:  This website is almost impossible for some of us to look at!) They really need to bring back the option for the white background. "
I don't so much have any problems with the white text on the black backround. I find it much nicer to read then Black text on White backround. I just have a problem reading dark grey text on slightly darker grey backround.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By gingertastic_10

It has never bothered me. I like it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've never had any problem reading the darker text on the site. If you're having trouble, either your monitor is too dark, or you need to get your eyes tested.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Ineedaname
@MattyFTM said:
" I've never had any problem reading the darker text on the site. If you're having trouble, either your monitor is too dark, or you need to get your eyes tested. "
Win.
Even in your low quality screen shots I can read it fine.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond

OP should take a photo of what the text looks like on his monitor, a screenshot won't show anything.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

I really don't have your problem whatsoever. Maybe it is because I have a good resolution and a bright monitor but I can read just fine. My vision isn't perfect either. I would suggest brightening up or zooming in your monitor.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Megalon

Well to be fair to the TC, sometimes you can't just brighten up your monitor, especially if it is older. I can barely read a lot of the stuff on this site on my work monitor, and the brightness is maxed out (completely readable on my newer monitors at home, thankfully). Dark grey on lighter grey or black is just bad design, you shouldn't need a good monitor or eyesight to enjoy a site. Contrast can be your friend, if you let it. 

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Dawglet

I don't have a problem with any of the darker text but this white text on black does kind of hurt my eyes for some reason. >_>

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Griddler

I've not got a problem with it but I can see how some people might.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32  Edited By natetodamax

Now that I think of it, the gray text is a easier on the eyes and easier to read in general.