• 79 results
#51 Posted by Jimbo (9774 posts) -

@damswedon said:

@Jimbo said:

@damswedon said:

Your definition of late 90's also includes my definition of mid nighties.

Early 91-3 Mid 94-97 Late 98-2000

Pretty sure 1990 was in the nineties, dude.

There is no year 0 on the Gregorian calender so the first decade was years 1 to 10. 1990 was the last year of the 1980's.

lol. Sorry, but you are unequivocally wrong about this. It doesn't matter when 'the first decade' started; the term 'the nineties' explicitly refers to the years that end with a '9x.

#52 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Jimbo said: 

lol. Sorry, but you are unequivocally wrong about this. It doesn't matter when 'the first decade' started; the term 'the nineties' explicitly refers to the years that end with a '9x.

As it is socially regarded, he's wrong, but he's technically correct.
#53 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@BubbleBobble said:

Any Questions?

Yep.  Are you an idiot?  You realize you can still play every one of those games today if you want, plus every great game that's came out since.  So wouldn't right now, today, be the golden age of gaming?   

Besides, no 2D Mario sidescroller = the darkest time ever in video game history.
#54 Posted by nachokicks (59 posts) -

you could probably do that for 2007 to 2010

#55 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

You could have just posted Planescape Torment, and be done with it. Nothing else would have been necessary.

#56 Posted by UlquioKani (1027 posts) -
@nachokicks said:
you could probably do that for 2007 to 2010
#57 Posted by ZedNotZee (18 posts) -

Saw this on the front page, and just thought it was humours.

#58 Posted by strangone (179 posts) -
@Galiant said:   

We've come a long way with things like UI,

Make it cumbersome so it can be used with a controller. 

inventory management

Get rid of it. 

and general player control/feedback.

Make a shooter.
#59 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

@strangone said:

@Galiant said:

We've come a long way with things like UI,

Make it cumbersome so it can be used with a controller.

inventory management

Get rid of it.

and general player control/feedback.

Make a shooter.

You generalize. Not all games are console shooters. I like the way games play in 2011.

#60 Posted by Jimbo (9774 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Jimbo said:

You're going to SIT THERE and TELL ME that it's "technically correct" to say that Nineteen NINETY was in the EIGHTIES? FFFFUUUUUU!!!

He's not correct, he's not technically correct, he's the exact opposite of correct.

#61 Posted by Duncs (43 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Jimbo said:

You're going to SIT THERE and TELL ME that it's "technically correct" to say that Nineteen NINETY was in the EIGHTIES? FFFFUUUUUU!!!

He's not correct, he's not technically correct, he's the exact opposite of correct.

I agree. The Gregorian Calendar begins with a 1, so the first decade is 1-10, the second 2-20, etc. That's fine. But the 1990s =/= the 200th decade. They are not the same scale. The 1990s are all the years of the form 199x. Surely. If we referred to decades in the same way as we refer to centuries (the twentieth century included the year 2000, because of the same fact brought up here) then he'd be correct. But this is different. 

I am ashamed at my pedantry that I felt the need to make an account on this forum just to post this (and my previous comment). :(
#62 Posted by NickBOTT (481 posts) -

Reading the first few games on your list I knew it was solid, by the time I got to GoldenEye I knew I didn't have to read the rest.  No questions here.

#63 Edited by BubbleBobble (188 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@BubbleBobble said:

Diddy Kong Racing & Crash Team Racing aren't franchises first of all, they are a spinoffs. It's also common knowledge from Street Fighter fans & myself believe that SFIII: Third Strike is the best in the franchise. As for Mario Kart 64, I do think it surpasses every other version, and the cartridge still runs at $20 on ebay; despite it being over a decade old. RE3:Nemesis is subjective, however I consider it top tier.

They belong under the Donkey Kong and Crash Bandicoot umbrellas respectively. "Common knowledge" is, as usual, wrong - Street Fighter 2 or 2 Turbo are the only acceptable answers to the question of "the best Street Fighter." And Mario Kart 64 was lackluster in every way.

As you can see, videogame preferences are too subjective to attempt something as nonsensical as the artificial creation of a utopian historical era in games. We don't need a "golden age," we already have eras strongly defined by technology.

SFIII:Third Strike has been eVolution's #1 competitive game for 8 years. It is alot better than SFII. It's not just my opinion man. There is a reason why it replaced Turbo in the brackets.
#64 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

**reads the OP** Look everyone, an opinion!

#65 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

@Duncs said:

@Jimbo said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Jimbo said:

I agree. The Gregorian Calendar begins with a 1, so the first decade is 1-10, the second 2-20, etc. That's fine. But the 1990s =/= the 200th decade. They are not the same scale. The 1990s are all the years of the form 199x. Surely. If we referred to decades in the same way as we refer to centuries (the twentieth century included the year 2000, because of the same fact brought up here) then he'd be correct. But this is different. I am ashamed at my pedantry that I felt the need to make an account on this forum just to post this (and my previous comment). :(

Somebody start a Calendar Debate section of the forums for stuff like this, please. I could read it all day!

#66 Posted by BubbleBobble (188 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@BubbleBobble said:

SFIII:Third Strike has been eVolution's #1 competitive game for 8 years. It is alot better than SFII. It's not just my opinion man. There is a reason why it replaced Turbo in the brackets.

Evo represents a specialized subset of the market with particular needs, the fact that an individual version of a game is preferred for tournament competition is irrelevant to the broader question of "best" game. If they dropped 3rd Strike and went back to Turbo, would that make Turbo a better game? Or would 3rd Strike be diminished? Again, it's a question of preference.

3rd Strike is just a better game than SFII:Turbo. It has nothing to do with preference. The frames are smoother, the parry system has been praised beyond words, & SFII:Turbo has screen tearing. I grew up with SFII, & I even know that 3rd Strike is superior in every way. 

This is not to say SFII:Turbo is bad, in fact Turbo is still better than most of the later Street Fighters, including SFIV. But 3rd Strike gave it that extra push
#67 Posted by IceOrb (182 posts) -

@warxsnake: If you are talking about people running up to you and asking for help GTA4 did that as well. Might as well just change out "Do it like Red Dead" with "Do it like GTA4" or even better "Do it like Rockstar" since there really isn't a lot of stuff like Red Dead on the market. (Aside from the whole Open World thing that is. Plenty of that.)

#68 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Megaman X is from the early 90's though.

#69 Edited by warxsnake (2635 posts) -
@IceOrb: The basis behind my argument comes from industry experience, where I have worked on multiple teams now, and talking to other developers from other companies who create open world games. And all these teams have been analyzing the systems and mechanics behind red dead's random encounters, among other things. This has nothing to do with GTA4. GTA4 is a live and active world simulation, however Red Dead elaborates on the system and adds random encounters that feel scripted to the player, to either break up the monotonous traveling that is inherent in open world games, or to just lengthen the gameplay experience past main and secondary quests.  

RDR is a recent game, which is why there aren't games that have copied it yet on market. But there will be. Prey 2, like I said, is one of the standouts, based on what we've seen so far, and interviews with the game director stating himself that their inspiration for the mechanics that drive their world are based on RDR's mechanics. 
#70 Posted by bonbolapti (1599 posts) -

I figured the golden age would have been one or two generations older.

#71 Edited by BubbleBobble (188 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@BubbleBobble said:

3rd Strike is just a better game than SFII:Turbo. It has nothing to do with preference. The frames are smoother, the parry system has been praised beyond words, & SFII:Turbo has screen tearing. I grew up with SFII, & I even know that 3rd Strike is superior in every way. This is not to say SFII:Turbo is bad, in fact Turbo is still better than most of the later Street Fighters, including SFIV. But 3rd Strike gave it that extra push

My point isn't that one game is better than the other, the point is that you will get a different answer to that question depending on who you ask because different people have different preferences. People who are genuinely competitive at Evo will have a different set of preferences to people who are competitive against the broader online base, and people who only play for fun or play with friends are going to have yet another different set of preferences. In this instance, 3rd Strike may be the best game for Evo while SSF4AE might be the best game online and Turbo might be the best game for people who cut their teeth on SFII and all of those people would be correct about which game is "the best game." You can apply the same logic to any series or genre of games.

So, if it's unreasonable to isolate a game and proclaim it "the best" for everyone what chance is there that people would agree on a hand-picked selection of games representing the best of a particular era? Or of all time? We could insist that the late 90s was the first great era of gaming but that would mean dismissing every game of the 16-bit era. Or the 8-bit era. Many would tell you that the late 90s were a terrible time for games as those early polygonal efforts have aged so poorly, both in terms of visuals and gameplay.

Sure every generation had it's share of classics & bombs. But I'm simplifying an era because I don't want people in the future to look back on the late 90's and think that it was just a polygonal mess. Just like I don't think Atari 2600 games are just a pixelated mess.  

The late 90's have gotten a bad rap over the years, by groups like Screwattack or the AVGN whom claim that the 16-bit era was better. 

I'm just trying to balance the beam here.
#72 Posted by karatetron (690 posts) -
#73 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -
@Loose: But ... but RE4 shucks ..... :P fine is just I like the old school tank controls (when it comes to survival horror games). But truly people shouldn't close themselves when experiencing older games , but then again videogames was a niche back then ( we could argue that it is still a niche tho)
#74 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -
@ZedNotZee said:
Saw this on the front page, and just thought it was humours.
I'm in that picture!
#75 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, awesome times. i do think n64 was a great system to have. i think it had the best games out there to this date.

#76 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Someone wrote it here before but I'll say it again:

Trying to establish the Golden Age of a medium that's barely half a centruy old is stupid.

#77 Edited by BubbleBobble (188 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:

Someone wrote it here before but I'll say it again:

Trying to establish the Golden Age of a medium that's barely half a centruy old is stupid.

#78 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@BubbleBobble: It's the Dude, how can I even argue?
#79 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (1999)  - the game is a fucking icon, why is it not on the list?

add it or i'll stab you