Why we decided to make TNT archives subscriber only...

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

OK. Here's the scoop. I asked Vinny to make TNT archives subscriber only. It's not something we were regularly archiving anyway and there's still the JTV version of the archive that is perfectly viewable over at Justin.tv. The reason I asked for it was because the views on last weeks test version were low enough that we realized there's a pretty small audience that actually wants these things archived here on Giant Bomb. That's OK, we dig small audiences... but as a 2-hour feature it's both expensive for us to host, time-consuming to actually encode and is quite frankly impossible for us to monetize in any way in an archived format. 

From there it really came down to 2 options. Stop doing it (why spend so much time on something that most people won't watch) or do it as a perk for the dudes that are supporting us. Seemed like a pretty easy call. Mostly I get bummed that JTV doesn't allow many countries outside the US to even view archives of our content, so it would suck to just yank the cord on our International audience without an alternative.

Again, following our up front policy of not taking things away this is an added feature to the site, not something we were doing regularly (outside of the first week or so, I'm pretty sure last week was our only time we'e done this). The live version of TNT will never become paid only. We will continue to make active efforts at Whiskey Media to provide new features every few months to the people that keep us from having to shill the normal gaming website way with horrible advertising and farmed top-10 lists for page-views. It's just a better model. We can spend more time making you happy rather than make you annoyed.

We'll also be announcing some pretty bananas ideas next week for our subscribers and now that we're getting close to six months in we will start doing some live town-hall type Q&As where we can have a more active dialog about the direction of the Whiskey Media sites and the features you want to see as part of what you're paying for. Some of these we're planning to have open invites to actual come in and chat with us. Generally I'd like to have a bit more warning to you guys on features like this, but we just kind of ran with this one. Seemed like a pretty simple thing to do.

As usual, I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike
@snide: Good call...also finally hit 85 a few days ago, but have been spending too much time at work and bars to do anything about getting geared up. Speaking of bars....see you all later!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

How do you feel about X19 offering an easy alternative that essentially bypasses your new feature :P?

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By npeterson08

Sounds like a good call which I support, despite being a non-member.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

Fine by me but I guess it would be...

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

Seems like a reasonable alternative to simply not hosting them on the site at all. Excited to hear about the future!

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I am super excited that I can watch the TNT videos here since I work on Thursdays and miss it live. Thanks Dave.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Th3_James

Thanks Dave, and Vinny. I appreciate it. 

Edit: oh snap me and dave almost tied for posts >_>

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

Hey, I just wanna say that I really appreciate you guys archiving it here. I hate using the JTV player and I can't watch it live since I have a Thursday night lab every week, so this is great! Keep up the good work, guys!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

I'm confused, why make something with a low view count sub only... wouldn't it make more sense to make something sub only if people actually wanted to watch it? Seems weird to me =\ help me understand dave!

Hoffafiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hoffafiles

I hope I'll be able to make it to the meeting, if I get this job in Petaluma :D  

If not I can just be a creeper outside Whiskey Media offices

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By bhhawks78

As a subscriber I almost never get to watch shows live due to when I work so I appreciate when they are archived.  I Still can't find this weeks screening room though :(

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By snide
@Video_Game_King said:
" How do you feel about X19 offering an easy alternative that essentially bypasses your new feature :P? "
I'm not in the business of policing other people's ethics. We either provide a service you want to support or we don't. I'm not trying to be the RIAA here. Our logic for it is pretty clear in my OP.
UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UnrealDP

Im grabbing a membership in the next month but now im gonna have to get more money....but the TNT had small numbers because no one knew it would be on the site or atleast i think so cause it was great!!
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By frankxiv

i don't know i'd think the low numbers on last week's are due to it being 1) the first week you ever archived it on the site, and 2) (even speaking as someone who actively plays and enjoys sc2) fucking starcraft AGAIN. 

anyways, hopefully i can become a real boy soon so i won't have to worry about stuff like this.

KeepThisKoupon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KeepThisKoupon

i'm a member so don't care

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wickedsc3

This is cool, it will be nice to watch some older TNT's here.  I really like the way you guys are handling the site its really cool, I will be a subscriber for life !

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
@snide: 

That is not the joke response I was expecting. Damn you, lack of inflections through text!
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By snide
@Jeffsekai said:
" I'm confused, why make something with a low view count sub only... wouldn't it make more sense to make something sub only if people actually wanted to watch it? Seems weird to me =\ help me understand dave! "
If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive).
mbkish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mbkish

Sounds good to me.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Faint

I usually watch them by means of justin.tv anyway so this suits me fine. Very considerate of you bomb squad :)

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Skald

Sounds fair. I wouldn't watch it anyway, so either way I'm covered.

Avatar image for sharpshotapollo
SharpShotApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By SharpShotApollo

Hey dude it's cool. I support you guys for the awesome content, if this means I get one more perk for being a subscriber, so be it. I appreciate it being archived here and not having to go over to Justin.tv. Stay sweet.

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vigil80
Can't get enough Whiskey (Media). The more the better, and that includes content that is available for viewing/downloading over and over again.

Also, this man speaks the truth:

@bhhawks78 said:

" As a subscriber I almost never get to watch shows live due to when I work so I appreciate when they are archived."

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By snide
@Video_Game_King: Don't worry, I didn't take your nudge seriously, but I get asked that question legitimately a lot. People seem to think we're unaware that web content is easily pirated.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeffsekai
@snide said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" I'm confused, why make something with a low view count sub only... wouldn't it make more sense to make something sub only if people actually wanted to watch it? Seems weird to me =\ help me understand dave! "
If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive). "
That's a bit extreme, I was just wondering the decision process for making something with a low view count something you pay for... 

Thanks tho.
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Portis

TNT being archived and posted here is much appreciated.

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Evil_Alaska

Thank you for archiving them. I am unable to watch them live and love being able to download them for a later time.

Jake_WSPD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jake_WSPD
@snide: 

This seems great to me.  You all are already providing what I feel is one of the best deals in any entertainment medium, so all of this extra content is just "icing on the cake". 
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ApertureSilence

Since I am at work when you do TNT and can't watch it live, I am incredibly happy having this alternative to the (rather shit quality) Justin.TV. And, since it's coming straight into my iTunes library, I now have to option to archive it myself. 

Bravo.

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lokilaufey

Even as a nonsubscriber (for now) I think this is a perfectly reasonable approach. It's cool to see more content added to the member stuff without really taking something away from others that was already there.

I frequently miss TNT because of obligations and just generally hate JTV as it is, so this sort of thing motivates me to want to scrounge together to get a sub again soon even faster (as if Happy Hours weren't motivation enough!) Even thought I can't quite spare for it atm, I really look forward to seeing what other ideas you guys have for subscribers. Thanks for all the hard work, Snide!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ch13696

Maybe the reason why there wasn't many people watching is because there wasn't much of an announcement saying you are archiving it. 

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Th3_James

I usually always miss TNT's and Whiskey Media Happy Hour. I am just happy I can get them to watch after the fact. I've only watched the dead space 2 TNT and the Starcraft 2 TNT, and was always really bummed that I missed all the other TNT's. I also like downloading them so I can have them on my second monitor playing through VLC, and can still play Counter Strike Source and download other shit without lag. 

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BigLemon
@snide said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive). "
This warms the cockles of my heart, Dave. It is initiatives like this that set the precedent for all Whiskey Media endeavors, and it's why I am more than happy to support the site. 

Also, I'm excited to hear more about this "town-hall Q&A" thing you mentioned. That sounds like it could be really awesome.
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By BrittonPeele

Glad to see you guys offering this as an option. It may just be me, but the archives of this stuff on J.TV's website always loaded REALLY slow, so I much appreciate it being hosted here instead. I rarely get the chance to watch TNT live (I work Thursday nights), so this is good.

Avatar image for scottygrayskull
scottygrayskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By scottygrayskull
@snide: Funny that I never thought about wanting to watch a TNT I missed until I saw these on the site. ;) 

Don't plan to watch them all the time, but it's nice if I miss out and a game I like was featured. As for the paid memebers only your reasoning makes sense.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I like the archived version for HD goodness.

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By ZipCrash

I always consume every piece of Whiskey Media content regardless of the level of interest to me simply because I like having stuff on in the background while I'm working on things. Hearing Ryan make some dumb joke every once and a while is enough for me. TNTs are fantastic regardless of the game being played because it's two hours of content where I don't have to constantly go back and load something else up. Plus most of the time it's not really that compelling to watch somebody else play a game but the Whiskey Media brand of humor never seems to get old. Justin.tv always seems to find ways to make watching stuff difficult and the quality is pretty solid but not nearly as good as Whiskey Media content.  

So in short, I love this idea. :P 

I really appreciate the staff always looking out for it's members especially those of us who are subscribers. It's one of the many things that makes Whiskey Media so great. Thanks for all of the hard work!

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By brocool

Im okay with it, but one week doesn't seem like a fair sample.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Sounds reasonable enough. I'm more interested in these alleged "Town Hall" shenanigans. Will they be open to members only? What are the chances of someone getting tased?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42  Edited By natetodamax
@snide said:
 there's still the JTV version of the archive that is perfectly viewable over at Justin.tv.
... except for the fact that Justin.tv always seems to be broken in some extraordinary way.
AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AndyPhifer

I like it! Just another great perk that comes with supporting Whiskey.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By randyf

As someone who just upgraded to a paid subscription a few days ago, I can honestly say that watching TNT on Justin.tv is completely fine. I have yet to watch a TNT live (as it's either late on the east coast or I'm busy) and I always go to Justin.tv to watch it. So for the people who aren't subscribed, don't worry too much. Although I suppose to does suck for those who are outside of the US and can't do that. Just try and catch it live, I guess.

In addition, I like to watch parts of it and leave it paused for a while and come back to it later. If I did that on the Whiskey Media player, it would reset the time back to 0 and I would have to find where I left off. Justin.tv doesn't do that.

Just thought I'd give people some insight on someone who hasn't been a subscriber for very long (only a few days). The link to the Giant Bomb Justin is here:

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb

Just look to see when it was posted to figure out which TNT it is.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By shinluis

Oh well

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bigsmoke77

Thanks for the update Dave, the great content in Happy Hour the past couple of weeks has easily covered the cost of memberships...........

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By WickedCestus

I just don't understand. The Justin TV archive is garbage, and I am never here to watch the TNTs live. I thought that you guys putting up the archives last week was fucking awesome, but as much as I love Vinny and Will I didn't want to watch because I saw a bit of it live and was frustrated by their lack of Starcraft knowledge (not their fault). But that doesn't mean I wouldn't watch others if you continued to put them up. I'm fine with you guys not letting me watch Happy Hour, but making the TNT archive subscriber-only just seems like some kind of joke. If no one's watching it, how is it a good incentive for someone to become a member?

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By ZipCrash
@snide said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

Honestly, that is the reason I signed up for a subscription. I hate when sites block off key content from people who can't afford to subscribe. When you guys first starting about a subscription service, before the features were announced, I knew this site would be the first place I ever actually subscribed. I really couldn't care less about the features. Sure it's all nice stuff to have but I really just did because I wanted to support you guys. If all of the sudden you started going around and blocking off content, I don't think I would feel the same way.       

@supermike6: It's not so much an incentive as an added bonus. Supporting this awesome network of websites to make sure they stay afloat is really the only incentive...plus the Happy Hour, HD videos, etc.     
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By wrathofconn
@natetodamax:  Breaking news, paid services kinda work better than free ones. Also, I've never experienced huge problems with watching that stuff on their site. Since this means more work for the crew, I think it's pretty fair.

@supermike6: As he explained it, it seems more like a bonus for subscribers rather than a huge pull for new ones. But to each his own.
JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JimmyPancakes
@snide 

Sounds good, look forward to the upcoming subscriber features.