Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've said it before, and it still holds true: he simply hates fun.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Lautaro

@GreggD said:

Because their and they're are two different things, you fucking twat.

Bit much don't you think?

Shrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Shrat

So Giant Bomb doesn't aim to be a professional game site? I don't remember the guys ever saying that. My bad. Continue hating your audience Ryan.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By wickedsc3

Because that is all he has.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

It's part of his charm.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Shrat:

Yes.

@Elusionar:

If you look at the GameFLy article comments, there was some asshole that got into it with Alex. Demanding that he get fired, bitch please!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Rhaknar

what exactly was so rude that offended you so much by the way? Im not defending Ryan perse, the dude is a (self proclaimed) dick, but not more than usual as far as I can tell... you say you have been following the site/crew for a long time and you just realised Ryan is a bit of a dick some/most times?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By bybeach

I like Ryan. Even if he sings the praises of Ice Tee. Ryan is okay. He does get a little wierd w/the interns, and probably that is quite on purpose. Gestalt humor and not necc all that correct. But as long as theintern(s) is/are in on the joke, and doesn't feel humiliated (ie, Ryan's bitch) well, it's just off the cuff humor. Again, I like the guy.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Liber

@Shrat: I was established from the very beginning that Ryan is a jerk. I prefer the real jerk Ryan rather than the creepy pretending to be polite Quick-look EX Ryan.

Shrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Shrat

@Rhaknar:Lately it just seems he's been responding to questions with a more arrogant extreme of his persona than usual. He's always had that a bit, but he's now pushing it to new limits. That, on top of how has treated the interns(I know, it's a joke haha,) Maybe it's always been at this level and I'm just noticing it more now. If so, I wish I hadn't because I don't care for it much.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By hwy_61

@GreggD said:

LOL. Saw that, and didn't bother reading the rest of OP.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I dislike Ryan quicklooks. I really do. It used to not bother me, but I'd rather watch a quicklook with people enjoying themselves instead of one being so cynical and snarky.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By thornie_delete

Ryan is just a jerk to us users. It's the persona he chooses to assume when being the "host" of the site. If you watch him interact with others (i.e. not us) he is incredibly respectful and likable. Tweet at him, ask a question, or just look at him funny, and prepare to be blocked and shamed.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Shrat but there is a noticeable difference depending on the video, sometimes he hams it up.

He isn't really a perve getting guilty pleasure from playing Galgun, for example.

Watch Ryan in a mailbag: he is usually really thankful and quite low key about it all.

They are like professional wrestlers, playing a character that mimics their true personality but turned up to the nth degree.

Ryan is a heel, and a great one at that, but it is an act.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By Rhaknar

well i dont watch the intern stuff so I dunno how he treats them, and I rarely watch tnt or the happy hour. He seems the same to me on QLs or the bombcast (or twitter)

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Perry? Perry needs to learn timing. The questions he asked weren't all that great either.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By sawtooth

We're all jerks here.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By YoThatLimp
@LordXavierBritish said:
I'd pay my yearly subscription twice over if I could be personally bitched out by Ryan Davis.
When does he become a full blow dominatrix?
soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By soldierg654342

Quite a few existential questions being asked of GiantBomb lately.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By Sharpless

In case you haven't noticed, the Internet has an overabundance of insufferable fucking assholes, and Giant Bomb's community is not even remotely immune to that. If I was in Ryan's position, I would absolutely "hate" most of my site's user base, whether they paid to support the site or not. After all, subscribing is a choice. If you don't feel they deserve your money, don't give it to them. (And, to be clear, I don't think he actually hates the users. I've seen nearly every video on this site and listened to every podcast, and Ryan has most definitely treated Giant Bomb users positively on many occasions.)

I will say, though, that I am not entirely unsympathetic to your opinion. I used to be bothered by Ryan's dickishness. I was pissed and frustrated when he blocked me on Twitter for defending the NDX. But then I realized, "Wait, this is Ryan Davis. He's a big goofball. Relax. He's just fucking around and, frankly, he doesn't owe me anything." I'm sure he plays it up, much in the same way that I've also been a bit bolder and more dickish online in the past. That, basically, is the entire Internet in a nutshell.

I'm not excusing dickish behavior, mind you. Being shitty is being shitty, regardless of whether it's online or off. I really don't think Ryan is all that shitty, though.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By MrCandleguy

@Sil3n7 said:

I kinda agree. He seems to treat users in general like an annoyance. I being someone who supports the site find it lame whenever I hear it.

agree.

@thornie said:

Ryan is just a jerk to us users. It's the persona he chooses to assume when being the "host" of the site. If you watch him interact with others (i.e. not us) he is incredibly respectful and likable. Tweet at him, ask a question, or just look at him funny, and prepare to be blocked and shamed.

also agree

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By august

Ryan Davis doesn't suffer fools, nor should he.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Green_Incarnate said:

Perry? Perry needs to learn timing. The questions he asked weren't all that great either.

Yeah I would have to agree there, I was starting to get pretty annoyed by his constant stream of lame questions the whole time. He needs to take more time between them and curate the questions better.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By themangalist
@thornie said:
Sums up exactly what I thought of Ryan. Other than the EDF quicklook everyone judged Ryan on (which did cross the line imo though), i can tell he's a pretty awesome duder to hang out with in real life.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#75  Edited By Little_Socrates
prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By prestonhedges

Eh. Maybe he's tired of fuck of being in literally every video Giant Bomb produces and having to be its professional on-air voice. I know I would be by now.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By buzz_clik

@Shrat said:

Fine, rephrase of the question. Does it bother you, this exaggerated persona? It does me, there's really no need for it, even if he thinks the questions are stupid.

Nope, I dig the abrasive persona he sometimes projects. My mates and I are the same way with each other, but it doesn't mean we genuinely have true contempt for each other - it's so cartoonish it can't be the real deal. Plus Ryan will occasionally laugh after dickish comments, just to let you in on the fact that he's not entirely that guy.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By jorbear
No Caption Provided
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By ch3burashka

@GreggD said:

Completely agree.

On a more relevant note, Ryan seems to be the director of most GB events. Whether it's the Bombcast, TNT or Happy Hour, he leads the way to make for a fun yet efficient event. Sometimes that requires you to be an asshole when everyone else is off the rails. It's a tough role to play, but I appreciate him for it, "jerkish" or not.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

I'd rather have someone be honest than straight up lie..

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BisonHero

@FriskyHeadCrab said:

This isn't a "professional" video game web site. It's the modern day equivalent of a Wayne's World style public access show.

Oh god. How did I not see that before? The analogy is so perfect.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By StaticFalconar

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By downtime58

@ OP's sense of entitlement....well allow us to retort:

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Clonedzero

if someone asks me a stupid question i tend to react sarcastically

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Shrat said:

@Abyssfull: I've never sent in any questions. And no, not because of Gears TNT. He's been doing it a lot lately, more so than usual. And certainly, if they want to build an even bigger audience, I don't think that's the way to go. Sometimes, as a professional, you got to put down that first impulse to call something out, bite your toungue, and answer the dumb question without pushing the people you want to subscribe away. Not being sensitive, again, I like him for the most part, and love the site. I've been watching and reading most of these guys for years.

That sounds like putting up a front and not being genuine...and would probably deter me from the site.

I like this site because they call out stupid bullshit when they see it. You sound like you don't actually know what works.

Shrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Shrat

@Doctorchimp: It seems to me, him playing up this sarcastic jerk character isn't genuine either. I guess that's the kind of fake you want though eh?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Shrat said:

@Doctorchimp: It seems to me, him playing up this sarcastic jerk character isn't genuine either. I guess that's the kind of fake you want though eh?

But that's the way he wants to run the site...so it is genuine. Are you struggling with comprehension?

I also wasn't really commenting on your problem with Ryan being a jerk. If you read what I quoted I was directly talking about how you didn't want them to call something out that's dumb as hell when they hear it.

Shrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Shrat

@Doctorchimp: They can and should call out dumb game stuff all the time, but to call users' questions dumb, or to act like they're not worth their time is wrong. There's nothing disingenuous about not calling a stupid question stupid. It's just something that doesn't need to be said or inferred. Doesn't make the man dishonest to have some amount of respect for his audience.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#89  Edited By huntad

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

because he likes anime?

He must secretly like it. It's the only explanation.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#90  Edited By Enigma777

Because his mama never taught him that if he can't say anything nice, he shouldn't say anything at all.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Dunchad

@Shrat said:

@Doctorchimp: They can and should call out dumb game stuff all the time, but to call users' questions dumb, or to act like they're not worth their time is wrong. There's nothing disingenuous about not calling a stupid question stupid. It's just something that doesn't need to be said or inferred. Doesn't make the man dishonest to have some amount of respect for his audience.

What? Of course you need to point out the idiots - how else are they going to learn? I get really annoyed when people ask stupid shit just for the sake of asking something - anything.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#92  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm gonna be one of the three people in this thread that agree with you. I don't like the way he acts a lot of the time, whether it's some type of 'character' or not. He's like that guy you knew when you were a kid that always thought it was really funny to act like an asshole to everybody because it showed off how much he 'didn't care.' 

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ninjakiller

Because he has to deal with stupid questions like: 

Why's Ryan such a jerk?  

and  

Does it bother you, this exaggerated persona?

Taefarinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Taefarinas

It bothers me. I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to make someone feel bad. And this being the internet, it's hard to tell what is sincere and what is someone being an idiot. The same question asked by two different people could be interpreted different ways. And, while it is entirely possible that the interns have their issues, it does bother me when they are rude to them on air, but more when Brad does it than Ryan, because Brad seems to try to be nice most of the time. I guess it is the whole "time and place for everything" thing.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By CaptainCody
@Shrat said:

@GreggD: Regardless of my misuse of their/they're, it's a serious question. I said I do and have enjoyed him for several years for the most part, but it seems he exaggerates his persona at the expense of hurting his audience, which in my opinion, isn't cool man.

HAHAHA, that's a good one. I love it when people lie and pretend they've been on this site for more than a month. If you've enjoyed him for several years you would know by now how he acts. Otherwise, you are a terrible judge of character.
T4CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96  Edited By T4CT

I would say there's a middling ground

most of the time I enjoy Ryan's personality and find it engaging and funny. And based on my conversations with him he's a super personable and friendly guy

occasionally the snarkiness can be a little more overt than is maybe necessary but as someone who deals with public eye I understand the concept of pandering to the audience. And considering half the posts in this thread are from people unwilling/able to have a rational discussion on the matter and instead default to "trolololol fuck you OP", I'd say he knows his audience pretty well. It's not really how he is, but when you're in front of a camera you have to do what keeps people watching. It provides a personality contrast to the others and works well in a showmanship sense.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ThePaleKing

A lot of people seem to send in questions that ramble on and on for a paragraph about irrelevant things that happen in their uninteresting lives like how I was playing video games at my friends house the other day, his name is Dwayne and he lives 2 miles away from me, we played some Forza and then Gears of War 2 and we really like Gears and want to get Gears 3 but only one of us has Xbox Live, I can't afford it because I just got fired from my job as a toilet paper roller for showing up late because my car broke down because my other friend, Ricky-O, drove it through a brick wall the day before while he was jacked up on goof balls, and so my doofus boss fired me and now I don't have any money so I can't afford Live, so what I was wondering was: do you guys think turn based combat like that of Wizardry 6 is still a viable option for CRPGs in this era of cover based shooting being seen even in RPGs like Mass Effect.  

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThePaleKing said:

A lot of people seem to send in questions that ramble on and on for a paragraph about irrelevant things that happen in their uninteresting lives like how I was playing video games at my friends house the other day, his name is Dwayne and he lives 2 miles away from me, we played some Forza and then Gears of War 2 and we really like Gears and want to get Gears 3 but only one of us has Xbox Live, I can't afford because I just got fired from my job as a toilet paper roller for showing up late because my car broke down because my other friend, Ricky-O, drove it through a brick wall the day before while he was jacked up on goof balls, and so my doofus boss fired me and now I don't have any money so I can't afford Live, so what I was wondering was: do you guys think turn based combat like that of Wizardry 6 is still a viable option for CRPGs in this era of cover based shooting being seen even in RPGs like Mass Effect.

I didn't see that question coming lol.

thenose14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By thenose14

The internet is choke full of entitled morons and assholes. So after a certain amount of time working almost exclusively in that field I can imagine you would develop a certain technique for dealing with those people. Ryan takes the more crass route and I feel it is entirely appropriate.

Shrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Shrat

@CaptainCody: I've only been paying for a month. Been checking out the site since the beginning. Followed these guys on Gamespot and continued to here. No lies my friend.