Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph
*Drool*
*Drool*

I guess this a hardware question, but is there a possibility of running a Wii HD Emulator on the Wii U. Like, would the hardware be capable of handling something like this?

I remember hearing the PS2's backward compatibility was sort of like a happy accident, and since then console manufacturers have had to leave bits of old machines in new consoles to allow for such things as backwards compatibility, which explains why the process is a bit of a headache. I'm sure the PS3 doesn't have old PS1 bits in it, and PS1 backwards compatibility is achieved through emulation. So, could some clever minds come up with a way of using the Wii U's hardware to emulate Wii games in HD?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@realph:

I believe the backwards compatibility in the Wii U is not emulation, there is actual Wii hardware built in. Even if it was already emulating Wii games, I don't think the Wii U is powerful enough to run Wii U games in HD. As a general rule of thumb, it takes hardware much more powerful than original to successfully emulate a specific console, and even more so if you are trying to emulate it with better performance than the original hardware.

The Wii U is simply not a very powerful machine, and I don't see it being capable of emulating Wii games with better resolution and performance like a PC can. Again though, that is irrelevant since I'm 99% sure the Wii U's solution to backwards compatibility is hardware and not software emulation.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Hosstile17

@ll_exile_ll: The Wii U does not emulate Wii games. It does have the hardware built in. It would have been nice, however, if the Wii U would have included a hardware scaler like you have in the 360 to upscale the 480p Wii content to 720p or 1080p. I would say that since they did not include that feature at launch, that you will never see it.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Yeah, unfortunately it's just not there. I was bummed by it too and that's made me want to go build a gaming PC instead of buying a Wii U at some point so I can run Super Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade and other such games at full 1080p. Some of those games just have awesome art styles that are hampered by the blurry 480p max on the Wii.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Yeah, unfortunately it's just not there. I was bummed by it too and that's made me want to go build a gaming PC instead of buying a Wii U at some point so I can run Super Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade and other such games at full 1080p. Some of those games just have awesome art styles that are hampered by the blurry 480p max on the Wii.

Yeah, I think a lot of people misinterpret the desire to have that stuff in HD as a OMG GRAPHIXXX!!!!1! position, but I just like goddamn clarity in my gaming. The first time I saw Super Mario Galaxy running on Dolphin, I was fucking stunned. It already looked good, but just running it in a better resolution was tremendous.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The Wii U could not emulate Wii games in the same way that a PC can, no. And a PS2 didn't really emulate PS1 games in the same way that a PC can, either. It had help. The best way to play Wii games in 1080p would be on the PC, but I don't know if the mouse and keyboard or a regular controller are really good replacements for the Wii remote.

@mormonwarrior said:

Yeah, I think a lot of people misinterpret the desire to have that stuff in HD as a OMG GRAPHIXXX!!!!1! position, but I just like goddamn clarity in my gaming. The first time I saw Super Mario Galaxy running on Dolphin, I was fucking stunned. It already looked good, but just running it in a better resolution was tremendous.

I only just now got around to emulating PS2 games on my PC. Aside from the character models, parts of Final Fantasy X are still pretty stunning.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MideonNViscera

The Wii U could not emulate Wii games in the same way that a PC can, no. And a PS2 didn't really emulate PS1 games in the same way that a PC can, either. It had help. The best way to play Wii games in 1080p would be on the PC, but I don't know if the mouse and keyboard or a regular controller are really good replacements for the Wii remote.

@crosstheatlantic said:

@mormonwarrior said:

I only just now got around to emulating PS2 games on my PC. Aside from the character models, parts of Final Fantasy X are still pretty stunning.

That's what game I played when I ran a PS2 emulator too. For such an old game it holds up pretty well. No wonder they're HD Remixing it. It was so goddamn well done.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

The best way to play Wii games in 1080p would be on the PC, but I don't know if the mouse and keyboard or a regular controller are really good replacements for the Wii remote.

Isn't that why you get the bluetooth dongle or whatever the hell it's called?

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

@believer258 said:

The best way to play Wii games in 1080p would be on the PC, but I don't know if the mouse and keyboard or a regular controller are really good replacements for the Wii remote.

Yeah as long as you have some way to interface with Bluetooth on your computer, the Dolphin emulator easily lets you sync up a bunch of Wii remotes. For games that allow GameCube support, you can totally use a 360 controller or whatever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Sorry, I've gone and made the assumption that nobody else wants to use the Wii remotes either, again.

(Actually, I didn't know about that, but why anyone would prefer the unwieldy Wii remotes to a good KB/M or controller is beyond me.)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It might be capable of doing it, but even if it is, I'm sure Nintendo would much rather resell you HD versions their games. That they haven't put out any HD rereleases yet, even though they have a bad software shortage, leads me to believe the Wii U can't do it, but who knows, maybe they are waiting for something.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because otherwise, some moments in Fragile Dreams and No More Heroes and any other Wii game that actually uses the controller speaker will make very little sense. Plus how the hell are you going to map all those buttons to a mouse and keyboard comfortably?

I'll find a way!

Or give up trying. That goddamn remote is most of the reason that I never wanted to play Wii games. Also, even when I was playing some Wii games, I turned the controller speaker off because it sounded horrible. Maybe I'm just really, really stubborn about making sure there's a way to play traditional games without the gimmicks that supposedly force innovation.