Wii Scores Lowest on Metacritic

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

According to Metacritic, the Wii has the worst overall average review score compared to competitors Sony and Microsoft, but not by much. Metacritic has concluded the average Metascore is 67% on Nintendo Wii. Microsoft's Xbox 360 software averages at 70%, while Sony's PlayStation 3 software scores an average of 72%.

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2009/the-best-games-of-2009/

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Seems about right. All the consoles are weighed down by copious amounts of crap.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Doesn't surprise me.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

That doesn't seem unreasonable, no. We are all aware with the fact that the Wii has some great games among mountains of shovelware and WiiFit rip-offs. Oh well!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I'm not surprised either since there are a ton of shitty games on the Wii.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By rallier

It actually has the highest number of games above 70 percent when you do the maths. Not that it really matters though

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Metacritic is a dumb way to evaluate the quantity of good games in any case.  Besides being based on arbitrary numbers that are supposed to relate to opinions of reviewers, the way they list games on sites like Metacritic is dumb.  The PC top games of 2009 list includes Battlefield 1943 which isn't even out till next year and various Monkey Island episodes as well as collection versions, for example.  They also have a Nancy Drew game with a score of 86% with 4 reviews...  edit - make that 2 Nancy Drew games...  edit - make that 3 Nancy Drew games rated 'great'...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

If reviewers are only scoring games against other games on the same platform (which they are apparently), then these results don't really say anything about anything.

In fact, given the above, they should all be around the same number regardless of quality, which they are pretty much, which is pretty impressive.  What's 'surprising' (as in, not really surprising at all) is that the average score for a reviewed game is ~70%, when by and large the ratings explanations tend to purport 50% to be an 'average' game - this is clearly not the case in practice.  Review scores are evidently skewed 20% points too high on average, assuming we want the average reviewed game score to be 50%.  

As it is right now, 50% of all reviewed games are crammed into the 70-100% bracket.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Jimbo said:
" If reviewers are only scoring games against other games on the same platform (which they are apparently), then these results don't really say anything about anything.  In fact, given the above, they should all be around the same number regardless of quality, which they are pretty much, which is pretty impressive.  What's 'surprising' (as in, not really surprising at all) is that the average score for a reviewed game is ~70%, when by and large the ratings explanations tend to purport 50% to be an 'average' game - this is clearly not the case in practice.  Review scores are evidently skewed 20% points too high on average, assuming we want the average reviewed game score to be 50%.    As it is right now, 50% of all reviewed games are crammed into the 70-100% bracket. "
Most reviewed games being about 70% seems right to me. The ones that would score 0-50% are rarely reviewed at all. 
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By demontium
@Video_Game_King said:
" Seems about right. All the consoles are weighed down by copious amounts of crap. "
True, but Wii has produced the least value so far this year *waits for FFCC*
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@demontium said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Seems about right. All the consoles are weighed down by copious amounts of crap. "
True, but Wii has produced the least value so far this year *waits for FFCC* "
What about Silent Hill, or Phantom Brave?
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By demontium
@Video_Game_King:  I already said SH:SM was amazing.

go check my latest blog about silent hill, and PB comes on dec 25th.  

PB will have my verdict by then.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@demontium said:
" @Video_Game_King:  I already said SH:SM was amazing.  go check my latest blog about silent hill, and PB comes on dec 25th.   PB will have my verdict by then. "
Um...I own the game? I played it yesterday? I'm already in the second chapter, having my ass handed to me?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

The Wii and DS had the most mixed reviews. Some people don't know how to play on these platforms.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By demontium
@Video_Game_King said:
" @demontium said:
" @Video_Game_King:  I already said SH:SM was amazing.  go check my latest blog about silent hill, and PB comes on dec 25th.   PB will have my verdict by then. "
Um...I own the game? I played it yesterday? I'm already in the second chapter, having my ass handed to me? "
no money.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demontium
@Video_Game_King said:
" @demontium said:
Um...I own the game? I played it yesterday? I'm already in the second chapter, having my ass handed to me? "
no money.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By ryanwho

Metacritic scores lowest in credibility according to people who aren't stupid. Also, a statistical reality, the more popular your system is the more shit there is for it. I could say the PS2 scores lower in average reviews than the Gamecube, and that would be true (because the PS2 has significantly more games), but to reach any kind of conclusion based on that would require me to be a little stupider and/or to have some kind of petty agenda.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Geno

I wonder what Wii games would score if they were released on the other platforms. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Willy105
@Geno said:
" I wonder what Wii games would score if they were released on the other platforms.  "
We won't know depending on how they play.

Game like Madworld, probably higher. Wii Sports Resort, a lot lower.