• 114 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -
#2 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

Simple question...and post your predictions if you want. I think a year from now will be appropriate timing for at Sony and Microsoft to at least tease the next generation of hardware. The announced consoles may not be released for a year or two after the initial reveal, but I still think we may see at least something at next year's E3. What do you think?

Oh, and just to get this argument out of the way...10-year PS3 life cycle my ass.

#3 Posted by MrPerfect (436 posts) -

I feel that there will be no new consoles announced at an E3 anytime soon, the soonest I think that there would be a new console announced is 2014 and it will be by Microsoft. 

#4 Posted by way (121 posts) -

Nintendo will probably announce the Superwii in 2010, but won't come out until 2012.

Sony will keep quiet until 2012

and MS will announce a portable most likley in 2010, but keep quiet until 2012

They'll be definatley working on them in 2010, and I imagine Nintendo is already working on the Superwii

#5 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Hm, I don't think Sony or MS will show any new consoles off next year, they showed too much stuff for current gen consoles this year. Perhaps announce new systems in 2011? ...at the earliest.

#6 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

I vote yes simply because nothing was shown for them this year and current predictions place them hitting around 2012 or so, possibly a little sooner or later, and typically this sort of thing is touted at E3 a year or two before the next gen arrives.

#7 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Eh, @ E3 2010 they'll probably show the first actual wand/Natal games, I don't think any company intends to move new hardware so early... What would next gen platforms do? Few developers max out the current platforms in terms of abilities. Game development has become simply too complex for that to occur all that often, so what's the point of moving the goal posts further away when these haven't really been reached? There's no benefit in doing that whatsoever. Sure, you've had your Metal Gears and your Gears of Wars that have exploted the systems good enough, but what about other genres and experiences they could work on offering? This generation will be one of the longest for all companies, I'm sure of that much. It took a while to kickstart after all, and it's basically getting a reboot with Motion Plus and the other motion devices showcased which offer something new without increasing the specifications. Perhaps we'll see some DSi exclusive titles as the first step to make the DS Lite obsolette and exploit the DSi's full power in order to elevate it to "DS 2" status, but probably not much more than that.

#8 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I think it's very unlikely - all the major companies are boasting about their long console lifecycles and this year we're seeing innovations that try to fit in with current hardware - I doubt they'd use all these resources on new tech which will be made obsolete in such a short time.

There's a small chance of a portable from MS, but I imagine they'll just continue expanding on their Zune platform to be more of an iPhone-esque gaming system.
#9 Posted by freakin (404 posts) -

Maybe you haven't heard, but the motion controls guarantee no new console for awhile yet.  though Nintendo has already mentioned the next Wii in the past, the HD Wii, which for all we know is the same Wii just with a HD out... and in a different color... which will no doubt break records in sales day 1.

#10 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -
A HD Wii will probably be announced around then. I also think that’s the time for a DS successor. Sony won’t show a PS4 unless the PS3 totally bombs this year or if Microsoft shows a new system. I really don’t know if Microsoft will be unveiling their new system that soon though, could go either way.
#11 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@freakin said:
" Maybe you haven't heard, but the motion controls guarantee no new console for awhile yet.  though Nintendo has already mentioned the next Wii in the past, the HD Wii, which for all we know is the same Wii just with a HD out... and in a different color... which will no doubt break records in sales day 1. "
No, they haven't mentioned anything like that, only that they're working on the "next" thing as soon as the "current" is finished, just as every company is doing whether they admit it or not. They dominate the market, they have no reason to start competing with themselves. It's just not gonna happen, especially with the upcoming titles that will further establish the Wii's position to the top in Japan and other territories. A Wii HD would simply compete with the Wii, backwards compatible or not. There's no way to add extra power enough to display the current games in HD resolutions yet force developers to not use that extra power for actually better looking games, or better physics, which would in turn distance it from the Wii further and have them compete when there's no reason to. It may happen eventually, similar to the DSi, but 2010's way too soon.
#12 Posted by freakin (404 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
"
@freakin said:
" Maybe you haven't heard, but the motion controls guarantee no new console for awhile yet.  though Nintendo has already mentioned the next Wii in the past, the HD Wii, which for all we know is the same Wii just with a HD out... and in a different color... which will no doubt break records in sales day 1. "
No, they haven't mentioned anything like that, only that they're working on the "next" thing as soon as the "current" is finished, just as every company is doing whether they admit it or not. They dominate the market, they have no reason to start competing with themselves. "

mentioned anything like what?  I was speaking in generic, who knows what it is terms.  And they did mention 2011 or 2012 didn't they.    Btw Nintendo has a habit of covering their bases with the stuff they say, it doesn't actually necessarily mean anything.
#13 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
@MB: No. How can you deny the PS3 lifecycle when it's designed with 10 years in mind? Just like the PS2 and PSone... both of which lived their full 10 years.

Also, I don't think Microsoft "need" to update their system yet. Why would they pour so much into Natal? So no. The answer is no.

Maybe, MAYBE a new iteration of the Wii, like a redesign. No new consoles.
#14 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -
@get2sammyb: The PS3 may be in production for ten years, but that doesn't mean there won't be a PS4 at about the 5-6 year mark. Look at the history of the PlayStation brand, it's all right there in black and white.
#15 Edited by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

I think the only real possibility is a WiiHD being announced next year. The console is seriously starting to show some age, and HD TV penetration will have reached a level where Nintendo will consider it a "mass market" enough decision to release. Completely depends on how much Wii sales have slowed down this holiday season though.

If they're serious about it, Natal pretty much confirms that Microsoft is locked into the 360 for another couple years before they start to consider the next step. And yeah, PS3 is nowhere near being done with its primary cycle. In general, I don't see either of those companies making a jump in their tech until a new visual output is available; the jump to the next gen would be so incremental and in the current economic climate, introducing new hardware is a pretty hard sell. So iterate on what you got and wait for that ice to thaw.

#16 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I highly doubt it and hope not. Graphics aren't rocketing up like they were a few years ago and they've reached a point where the graphics are satisfying and again, like the SNES days, it comes down alot more to style then sheer polygons.

#17 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

Not necessarily a new console but I'm sure Nintendo will show off some sort of WII HD next year.

Moderator
#18 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
@MB: Well, yes. That's very true. But in 2009, I don't think anyone wants to move forward with new hardware. Honestly, I feel like the PS3 has only just come out - it's only been here, what, 2 years in Europe I think (well just over), and man - with an interchangable hard-drive, Blu-Ray and firmware updates that thing doesn't need updating. The same applies to the XBOX 360 - it's showing some minor limitations in disc storage these days but such things can be solved by simply issuing multiple ones.

I echo the thoughts of the others in this thread, this generation will definitely be the longest. E3 2010 is already pretty much confirmed to be the battle of motion control from what we're seeing from this E3.

By then, both Natal and Sony's Motion Controller (and let's not forget there will be some kind of response from Nintendo) will all be fighting it out for the best demo. I don't think they'd put so much into these new motion controllers if they were going to essentially debunk the system they're creating them for. It would be pointless.

I doubt we'll hear a sniff on PS4 until 2012. And I'd guess a similar thing for XBOX360 too. Development costs are already too high, I can't imagine where they could take these systems in the future. I'm sure there are teams hidden within Sony and Microsoft making these things... But we won't see them.

Heck, I don't even reckon we'll see a Wii follow up for a long time either.

This will certainly be the longest generation.
#19 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Two Words.
Wii HD.
Well that's more like a word and an acronym but whatever.

#20 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I think most of us agree that Microsoft will break early again.


If Nintendo was to do anything, and I don't believe next year will be it, then Wii HD could be it, but it won't be a new console, but rather a mid-life adjustment.  A new DS is more of a possibility, but still unlikely.

Sony aren't going anywhere soon - they still need to make some money on the PS3.


#21 Posted by TobyD81 (1231 posts) -

I said No, but I have a feeling it could bite me in the ass later. I think next year will flesh out some of the new motion control stuff we saw this year.

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12625 posts) -

There may be some redesigns by then.  If the PS3 Slim or Wii HD are not revealed by TGS, then they could make an appearance at next year's E3.  I don't expect any new consoles before 2012 from any of the big 3.

#23 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

I say no with microsoft having this dumbass natall project and whatever sonys new motion controll crap is. I think there trying to get make these console's last as long as they can. I don't think they would be working on that stuff with a new console coming out in a year or two.

#24 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period. 

#25 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

I hope not.

#26 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period.  "
I don't think anyone is arguing that a new console would launch next year, but that one of the Big Three might say "And now a look at the future of _____" and unveil that they are indeed working on the next big thing. I still don't really see it happening, but just to clarify.
#27 Posted by Hairydutchman (1040 posts) -

The Wii is still going strong sales wise so I don't see a reason for them to bring out Wii HD.

#28 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
@TheKidNixon said:
"
@trophyhunter said:
" no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period.  "
I don't think anyone is arguing that a new console would launch next year, but that one of the Big Three might say "And now a look at the future of _____" and unveil that they are indeed working on the next big thing. I still don't really see it happening, but just to clarify. "
Yeah but doing that could hurt any peripheral sells. Which with how crazy people seem to be going over this motion controll stuff. I don't think any of the big three would want to hurt those sells by saying heres the next console.
#29 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

I hope not.

#30 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

I don't think so... I see more shit that has nothing to do with real gaming... atleast from Microsoft and Nintendo.

#31 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -

I don't feel like there is going to be a new console shown this summer. 
 
Reviving the thread because we're at the start of a new year, where we have a basic feel for what is going to be coming out, and we're half a year closer to the 2010 E3.   
 
Microsoft and Sony are attempting to breathe new life they hope will extend the life of the current consoles.  Nintendo might tease a DS2, but I don't feel like Sony is going to show off a new handheld just yet.  Microsoft doesn't seem to be too interested in the handheld market...which might lend suspicion they might tease something, but we have yet to hear any rumors on that front, so I'm still standing firm against a Microsoft portable. 
 
Software, I'm looking for some a few hands-on for this Q4, but I think there are going to be some really nice prettiness shown for 2011.  And those are always such a wonderful pain to watch.

#32 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

There could be, but I hope not. I'm happy with this generation.

#33 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2058 posts) -

No. At least I hope not. It's way too soon for a new console generation.

#34 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Based on what Microsoft has been doing with Natal, Sony being where it is, and Nintendo probably not making a move until someone else does AND with the Wii being a goldmine, I'm gonna say no.
#35 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Probably see new handhelds from Sony and Nintendo, maybe even from Microsoft, but i think the closest we'll get to a new console is a HD Wii.

#36 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4898 posts) -

No.

#37 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

Their will probably be an announcement of a new handheld.

#38 Posted by jkz (4058 posts) -

*ehem*, this is an old ass thread... 
 
Anyways, no, unless handhelds are counted, in which case I could see it happening

#39 Posted by ComixZone (93 posts) -

entirely too early

#40 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Sega will be making their come back.

#41 Posted by PenguinDust (12625 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" There may be some redesigns by then.  If the PS3 Slim or Wii HD are not revealed by TGS, then they could make an appearance at next year's E3.  I don't expect any new consoles before 2012 from any of the big 3. "
Seven months later and I'm sticking with this.  We did see the PS3 Slim finally drop and Wii HD rumors persist.  I think there might be a redesign for the 360 as well considering the integration of Natal.  There is a stronger chance of a new handheld.  Nintendo might show the rumored new DS/Gameboy with motion sensors and an Iphone like screen.  Then, I wonder if out of desperation over the lack of interest in the PSP Go, Sony will rush out a PSP 2.  The later is doubtful for at least one more year, but who knows. 
#42 Posted by EpicSteve (6498 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised with an announcement of the rumored 3G PSP 4000. Beyond that, it's too early. 

#43 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period.  "
How so?  The 360 has already been going longer than any other console in history.  Even the NES and SNES were replaced after only 5 years.
If they announced the '720' with a boat load of new features and better graphics than what we currently have, people would buy it just as we always have in the past.
 
That's not to say I think it'll happen though.  Microsoft and Sony will be focusing on their motion controllers, and if they take off will continue to do so for sometime.  MS have already proved their quite capable of reinventing the 360 with the dashboard upgrades, so there's no need for a new console.  If anything they might announce a slimline version, possibly bundled with Natal.  But not an entirely new console.  Nintendo are safe as long as they have their ridiculous sales, but their problem is they've pretty much reached the peak of what they can do with the Wii.  I don't think we'll see a sucessor just yet, but I see them announcing theirs first.
 
Ditto for the DS.  A new PSP is somewhat more likely, and I wouldn't count out a Microsoft handheld and a more gaming orientated Apple system.
#44 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

At E3, no.  Later in the year?  Maybe a hint at something from Microsoft.

#45 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I could see both of the next handheld iterations from Nintendo and Sony, but no home consoles certainly.

#46 Posted by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -

I don't think so. For some reason, I still feel like all these consoles are still young, even though that is not true.

#47 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" At E3, no.  Later in the year?  Maybe a hint at something from Microsoft. "
Again, I don't see them coming out with a brand new system, but perhaps a slim line version.
But I do agree that if they're going to do this, I don't think they'd do it at E3, it'd more likely be announced later in the year.
#48 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period.  "
How so?  The 360 has already been going longer than any other console in history.  Even the NES and SNES were replaced after only 5 years. If they announced the '720' with a boat load of new features and better graphics than what we currently have, people would buy it just as we always have in the past. That's not to say I think it'll happen though.  Microsoft and Sony will be focusing on their motion controllers, and if they take off will continue to do so for sometime.  MS have already proved their quite capable of reinventing the 360 with the dashboard upgrades, so there's no need for a new console.  If anything they might announce a slimline version, possibly bundled with Natal.  But not an entirely new console.  Nintendo are safe as long as they have their ridiculous sales, but their problem is they've pretty much reached the peak of what they can do with the Wii.  I don't think we'll see a sucessor just yet, but I see them announcing theirs first.  Ditto for the DS.  A new PSP is somewhat more likely, and I wouldn't count out a Microsoft handheld and a more gaming orientated Apple system. "
is there a reason your quoting a post from almost a year ago??
ok if you want to buy a 720 go right ahead but I will not think to highly of you.
#49 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period.  "
How so?  The 360 has already been going longer than any other console in history.  Even the NES and SNES were replaced after only 5 years. If they announced the '720' with a boat load of new features and better graphics than what we currently have, people would buy it just as we always have in the past. That's not to say I think it'll happen though.  Microsoft and Sony will be focusing on their motion controllers, and if they take off will continue to do so for sometime.  MS have already proved their quite capable of reinventing the 360 with the dashboard upgrades, so there's no need for a new console.  If anything they might announce a slimline version, possibly bundled with Natal.  But not an entirely new console.  Nintendo are safe as long as they have their ridiculous sales, but their problem is they've pretty much reached the peak of what they can do with the Wii.  I don't think we'll see a sucessor just yet, but I see them announcing theirs first.  Ditto for the DS.  A new PSP is somewhat more likely, and I wouldn't count out a Microsoft handheld and a more gaming orientated Apple system. "
is there a reason your quoting a post from almost a year ago?? "
You replied back, didn't you?  =P
#50 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" no if any new console comes out next year it will be a horrible failure period.  "
How so?  The 360 has already been going longer than any other console in history.  Even the NES and SNES were replaced after only 5 years. If they announced the '720' with a boat load of new features and better graphics than what we currently have, people would buy it just as we always have in the past. That's not to say I think it'll happen though.  Microsoft and Sony will be focusing on their motion controllers, and if they take off will continue to do so for sometime.  MS have already proved their quite capable of reinventing the 360 with the dashboard upgrades, so there's no need for a new console.  If anything they might announce a slimline version, possibly bundled with Natal.  But not an entirely new console.  Nintendo are safe as long as they have their ridiculous sales, but their problem is they've pretty much reached the peak of what they can do with the Wii.  I don't think we'll see a sucessor just yet, but I see them announcing theirs first.  Ditto for the DS.  A new PSP is somewhat more likely, and I wouldn't count out a Microsoft handheld and a more gaming orientated Apple system. "
is there a reason your quoting a post from almost a year ago?? "
You replied back, didn't you?  =P "
well that's because I'm an asshole, you know that