Will Doom 4 going to save FPS genre?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So my friends, do you think doom 4 is going to save FPS genre once for all?

I do believe YES. lets face it. FPS genre has been dumbed down due to fit on consoles but i think from what i have read and heard from Quackcon. its returning to old school roots. something FPS genre badly need.

No regen health

Cover system

iron sight

etc

it has fast paced gameplay too.

what do you think? discuss

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@slade- said:

I do believe YES. lets face it. FPS genre has been dumbed down due to fit on consoles but i think from what i have read and heard from Quackcon. its returning to old school roots. something FPS genre badly need.

No regen health

Cover system

iron sight

etc

I know what you're trying to say, and this just might be an age thing. But two things already listed on this short list of yours are not old school roots. I'll let you figure out what they are.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kind of pisses me off every time someone says the newest game with 'save' a genre. We're all entitled to our opinions, don't get me wrong, but its really aggravating for people to constantly call something I enjoy inherently bad, or that its 'too easy' and isn't really a game.

I look forward to Doom 4, though. I loved the original one, I played it back when it was on DOS, and is probably the reason I enjoy modern FPS' as much as I do. I do not think it will 'save' the genre though, but maybe revitalize it a bit. I would love to see fast-paced FPS' of old make a comeback so that indie devs putting their heart into their game aren't left with a ghost town.

TheNetChamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will English going to save the title of this thread?

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of pisses me off every time someone says the newest game with 'save' a genre. We're all entitled to our opinions, don't get me wrong, but its really aggravating for people to constantly call something I enjoy inherently bad, or that its 'too easy' and isn't really a game.

I look forward to Doom 4, though. I loved the original one, I played it back when it was on DOS, and is probably the reason I enjoy modern FPS' as much as I do. I do not think it will 'save' the genre though, but maybe revitalize it a bit. I would love to see fast-paced FPS' of old make a comeback so that indie devs putting their heart into their game aren't left with a ghost town.

i remember when COD4 came out and it was praised for being revolutionary while nothing but overrated crap that start the destruction of FPS genre however there is always a saviour. it was Stalker which sum up how to make FPS. and now it will be doom 4

beside shadow warrior is best FPS in years that highlight everything bad about FPS today.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to take a wild guess and say no, there's no chance in hell. Frankly I think it will be a miracle if it even has mass-market success at all.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It already happened.

Wolfenstein.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Will be save the genre? I say maybe so yes. Or the no.

Seriously, grammar is your friend. And the genre hardly needs saving. Maybe you just need to broaden your outlook.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By xanadu

I wasn't aware the fps genre needed saving.

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It already happened.

Wolfenstein.

i thought wolfenstien new order is pretty bad. its way too cinematic, linear and too slow.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@hero_swe said:

@slade- said:

No regen health

Cover system

iron sight

etc

I know what you're trying to say, and this just might be an age thing. But two things already listed on this short list of yours are not old school roots. I'll let you figure out what they are.

I think he meant for the "no" to extend to the cover system and iron sights. This new Doom isn't supposed to have those things.

It already happened.

Wolfenstein.

Yep. I am very happy to see a throwback to classic shooters with an actual budget, but Wolfenstein struck a fantastic balance between the best of classic and modern shooters. Pay attention, FPS devs, that's how it's done.

@zeik said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say no, there's no chance in hell. Frankly I think it will be a miracle if it even has mass-market success at all.

Is that a pun? Also, this is kinda what I'm afraid of. Even if Doom is really good, are there enough people interested in an old school shooters for big publishers like Bethesda to keep making them?

In any case, the OP should probably check his English.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

I dint know FPS needed saving. Nintendo on the other hand is an entirely different discussion.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahahahah

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Quackcon is my favourite con because I am a duck.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stalker being the ideal FPS in your mind kinda makes your opinion about Doom also being the perfect type of FPS a bit...uhh...odd. Or maybe you just really need to look through your posts before sending them, because most of your text is terribly confusing.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Niceanims

Yes.

FPS games have been lacking The Devil for too long.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the moment arrives where the player isn't shooting anything in first person, then maybe it would need saving.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

lovely planet already saved FPS didn't it?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the FPS-games have been dumbed down so the only way to save them is to recreate arguably the dumbest type of FPS.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Quackcon is my favourite con because I am a duck.

Teehee.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be save the genre? I say maybe so yes. Or the no.

Dear god, that "the no" made me burst out in laughter. It also makes me wish GB had hired someone who is really bad at english but absolutely has to be in every bombcast and video.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316

Is Doom the Halo-killer?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because clearly all the Serious Sam rereleases and HD remakes, Wolfenstein, the Damnation games, new Unreal Tournament game being announced and Team Fortress 2 still being played is not enough of an indicator to show that people enjoy both CoD and 'old' style FPS games. OH, and Lovely Planet.

@thenetchamps said:

Will English going to save the title of this thread?

Greatest first post I have seen yet.

Edit: Goddamn it, I just viewed OPs history. Either he's an overzealous kid or a troll. Why did I even bother responding to this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ugh, I don't like cover systems in first-person shooters. If I want to take cover I'll just move behind something. If I want blindfire I'll just pop out and spray an area. That's close enough for me.

Manually moving behind cover in third-person usually feels clunkier, a big part being the difficultly in gauging whether you're partially exposed or fully in cover, when any part of you sticking out the slightest is a target. Maybe it's just a personal comfort thing, but in an FPS I really don't need any help getting into cover.

But there are gameplay changes that come with regenerating health, aiming down the sights, and slower movement that makes games with them simply another sort of FPS, not the "dumbing down" of them. Obviously that doesn't mean there aren't any FPS games out there that are dumbed down, but those qualities you've listed don't automatically make one so.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By BisonHero

Between this thread, and the locked one titled "I think we need System wars section here?", I think somebody is looking to take the express train to Bantown.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Corevi
@bisonhero said:

Between this thread, and the locked one titled "I think we need System wars section here?", I think somebody is looking to take the express train to Bantown.

I hate saying that someone who is (possibly?) trying to make real discussion threads should be banned but I'm inclined to agree.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By syz

Only thing that would save the genre is PC becoming the dominant platform again.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't even aware that the FPS genre needed to be saved, it seems to be doing pretty damn well I think.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@random45 said:

I wasn't even aware that the FPS genre needed to be saved, it seems to be doing pretty damn well I think.

Ya, this is basically what I was going to say.

This thread seems unfounded.

Now grammar; that's something that needs saving.

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:
@bisonhero said:

I hate saying that someone who is (possibly?) trying to make real discussion threads should be banned but I'm inclined to agree.

I don't know man, he/she might be legit.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/do-you-hate-jrpgs-1484205/

Huh, I wonder why the mods didn't ban him back then. It's pretty clear that this guy's just trolling at this point.

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

Huh, I wonder why the mods didn't ban him back then. It's pretty clear that this guy's just trolling at this point.

it was long time ago animu avatar. yes i hate JRPG so?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

lol animu

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@slade- said:

@geraltitude said:

It already happened.

Wolfenstein.

i thought wolfenstien new order is pretty bad. its way too cinematic, linear and too slow.

Whuh? I thought Wolfenstein The New Order was fun, fast paced and very interesting story wise.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This thread is going nowhere fast, so I locked it.