• 50 results
Posted by Mirado (993 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Will Durango be radically overpowered/underpowered compared to the PS4? (259 votes)

Overpowered: damn the cost, they're going to blow the PS4 out of the water! 1%
Underpowered: somewhere between the WiiU and PS4, in price and performance. 22%
More or less the same: we won't be able to tell without comparing stills, or it'll be too small to care about. 78%

So, with the PS4's announcement, we've got a pretty good idea about how this thing is going to look at launch. Sure, it's early, and there's plenty of time for optimizations, but I think it's obvious that it looks decidedly better than a PS3 and on par with a good PC.

That pushes the ball into Microsoft's court. Do you think Durango will perform similarly? I don't mean in terms of theoretical numbers, but it terms of what we see on screen. If MS is aiming for the same market (which we all are assuming), are they cackling with glee/shitting their pants? Will there be enough distinction to have three tiers of graphical quality, instead of the two we have with the PS3/360/Wii?

My bet is no, but what do you think?

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (8715 posts) -

The next Microsoft console will likely try to undersell the PS4 and have different but comparable graphical power. More raw power with a focus on easy-to-use development tools and easy portability between the PC and their console.

#3 Posted by mellotronrules (1179 posts) -

we won't know anything for sure until the first multiplatform games are released...but rumours seem to indicate they'll be similar.

#4 Posted by VoidProd (95 posts) -

Judging by the source, who hit the nail on the head with pretty much everything with the PS4 leaks a while back, the Durango will be a little bit weaker. But I think the difference wont be very noticable for the most part. Either way I'd say we're in for a fun ride next winter.

#5 Edited by Ares42 (2610 posts) -

They will probably be pretty similar but if the rumors are true that Durango will have 4 GBs of RAM then we might actually see a noticable difference in performance between the consoles. It would probably also mean that the Durango won't be able to copy their suspend mode function and possibly even the download streaming.

#6 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

No.

#7 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

@ares42: All the rumours I've seen have show the Xbox with 8gb of Ram

#8 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

but I think it's obvious that it looks decidedly better than a PS3 and on par with a good PC.

Is that a fact? All we learned was that it has a 86x processor and a 'good' GPU and 8 gigs of RAM, I still don't know what CPU and GPU they're using.

#9 Posted by Ares42 (2610 posts) -

@extreme_popcorn: Oh, guess I mixed them up. It was ps4 that was rumored to have 4.

#10 Edited by tourgen (4458 posts) -

this is the fun part of the console release cycle

#11 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

I believe they will run about the same. Again, it comes to what they can bring in terms of games.

Other than that, I am sticking to PC.

#12 Posted by PandaBear (1344 posts) -

Let's compare some rumours and speculation with some just released info lacking any real detail and see which console is better!!!

#13 Posted by Nictel (2399 posts) -

The PS3 was more powerful than the the 360, seems to have worked.

#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Don't care, the Vita remote play for every game (PS3 version was held back by wireless G) and instant on/off (saved states) means the PS4 will more than likely be the console I choose.

Plus you know, there's the whole Microsoft making the dashboard worse every update. Doesn't inspire confidence.

If anything I think Microsoft are kicking themselves for not announcing first. Now anything they announce if it's similar to the PS4 stuff will fall flat, and anything they lack in comparison to the PS4 will stand out.

#15 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

rumors say it will be similar (seeing as how the rumours for the PS4 were fairly accurate I think it is have to assume they are at least close to the truth) but the PS4 has a better GPU.

#16 Posted by AndrewB (7564 posts) -

As far as I know they're both using similar AMD-based hardware. This might be the first console generation where there's basically parity on the tech side and it'll be all about the software/services side, which I'm all for.

#17 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (979 posts) -

I bet it will become more of an architecture and tool set issue which will be more powerful in practice. So, most likely we will have to wait for the second wave games to fully call this one.

#18 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

@ares42: @extreme_popcorn: Those rumors said Xbox will have 8 GB of RAM, but that it'll be DDR3, not GDDR5, and that 3 GB will be saved for the OS. Also, the Xbox is rumored to have a weaker GPU.

#19 Edited by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@ftomato said:

@ares42: @extreme_popcorn: Those rumors said Xbox will have 8 GB of RAM, but that it'll be DDR3, not GDDR5, and that 3 GB will be saved for the OS. Also, the Xbox is rumored to have a weaker GPU.

Yea a bunch of sites have mentioned that the nextbox will have 3 GB just for the OS and that devs have found it harder to develop for than the PS4. Also there were rumors, well lets say just accurate reports, that Sony was torn between using 4 GB and 8 GB. They were leaning towards 4 for a while since there RAM was a much better RAM than Microsoft's.

#20 Posted by wastedcolumbo (66 posts) -

It depends on whether the ps4 will be adopted as the lead platform, if it is then there could be a huge gap. If the Durango ends up being the lead platform then I could see the PS4 versions of games looking similar with maybe a few more particle effects or it running at a higher res or with a slightly smoother framerate. The big difference this time around is that Sony seem to be bending over backwards to please developers, if anything the rumoured Durango specs point to it being harder to program for than the PS4 with it's ESRAM and custom chips all built around trying to make up for Microsoft's decision to go with slow DDR3 RAM.

#21 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

IT'll have aLL THE POLYGONS

#22 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Only time will tell

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

More or less the same level as this gen. With platform specific games looking amazing.

Someone said the next Xbox dev kits have been out longer. And say that it's again easier to developers for the next Xbox.

But who knows.

#24 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3130 posts) -

The real question is, will it do as badly as the PS3 did at first?

#25 Posted by Excast (894 posts) -

The PS4 seems like a system designed with a very long life cycle in mind. The big question is, can they sell this thing at price people can afford to pay?

#26 Posted by Superfriend (1540 posts) -

As long as it runs Netflix and shitty Kinect games, Microsoft is okay.

Partial kidding aside, I think the two consoles will be relatively similar. Hopefully both put an emphasis on making it easy for devs to port/create stuff. I´m sick of games running like shit on one platform.

#27 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

Same thing. And even if it was vastly different games will be made for the lowest common denominator and ported everywhere else.

#28 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

I have a feeling it'll be just like this generation, in that they'll each be better than the other in different ways.

Also, the 360 was less powerful than the PS3 and that worked out pretty well for them.

#29 Edited by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Make it atleast $50 cheaper and keep it easier to work with and they'll dominate like they have been.

#30 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

I think Durango will be weaker but still an improvement over PS360-U. The new guard at Microsoft seem much more into having everything transfer seamlessly into the Windows 8 ecosystem. Also with a weaker machine they can keep the cost down.

#31 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

I think it'll basically be the same story as this gen, but with Sony's console as simple to develop for as MS's. Direct competition might be quite a bit more fierce this gen as a result. And I think that's only good news for Sony, as long as they can stay price competitive as well. I have a feeling they're going to embrace the digital distribution and fast price reduction model (or some semblance of it) that's prevalent on PC much more than MS will, and that could easily make them top dog with consumers.

#32 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

Same thing. And even if it was vastly different games will be made for the lowest common denominator and ported everywhere else.

I agree. Kinda pointless being significantly more powerful (and having the higher price tag to go with it) if multi-plat games are going to be limited by your competitor's hardware anyway.

#33 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

They're probably going to be pretty close with Microsoft trying to undercut Sony again. I'm mostly curious about what kind of features the Durango will boast when compared to the PS4. I was genuinely surprised by a lot of what Sony announced and it's hard to imagine Microsoft achieving roughly a level of parity on a cheaper console.

#34 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

With the ram being DDR3 they can very easily and cheaply boost 8 gigs up to 16 to make it seem better than the ps4's it's only like a $20 dollar difference on a consumer level. It's a cost the'll probably have to eat now that Sony has 8

#35 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Most of the rumors I've heard point to Microsoft going for more modest / efficient hardware and a lower price point.

#36 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3174 posts) -

I think they'll be the same price and the differences will be negligible. Only question now is skus. MS seems more likely to have multiple at this point: I imagine one will compete with the WiiU and the other with PS4.

A war on two fronts.. We all know how that goes!

#37 Posted by Zaccheus (1791 posts) -

I think it will be somewhat weaker and a bit cheaper. In some multiplatform games the difference will be noticeable, but not important and the Sony first party stuff will have some games that look flat out better than anything on Durango. Still the difference isn't anything major and the cheaper price might actually give Microsoft the advantage. It will basically be a lot like 360 vs PS3 minus the craziness of Cell.

#38 Posted by Bollard (5389 posts) -

but I think it's obvious that it looks decidedly better than a PS3 and on par with a good PC.

Is that a fact? All we learned was that it has a 86x processor and a 'good' GPU and 8 gigs of RAM, I still don't know what CPU and GPU they're using.

• 8-core x86-64 AMD Jaguar
  • 1.84 TFLOPS AMD Radeon graphics
  • 6x Blu-ray Drive
  • USB 3.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11n wireless
  • HDMI, analog AV out, optical audio

GPU on par with a AMD Radeon HD 7850 (going by flops alone.)

#39 Posted by Nightriff (4971 posts) -

It will be similar or less, but I could see Microsoft being stupid and charging a crazy price, just like the PS3 was. Look what they did with the Surface, its inevitable.

#40 Posted by Regal (434 posts) -

I figure if they really are going to include a kinect with every xbox, then it will have to be either more expensive than the PS4 (which is already rumoured to be pricey) or have cheaper hardware to achieve about the same price point (or below). I don't really see them going the really expensive route so then they must have at least skimped a little on components, so I'd give the edge to the PS4 if I had to guess. If they don't bundle kinects then all bets are off.

#41 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

It will probably be similar. I would imagine the main difference is Durango probably won't have unified 8GB GDDR5 ram.

#42 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

It will be roughly the same and I expect ports of games to be the exact same leaving only first party games to truly differ themselves from even the third party games.

#43 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Killer Kinect Hardware. That is all.

#44 Posted by Sergio (2079 posts) -
@regal said:

I figure if they really are going to include a kinect with every xbox, then it will have to be either more expensive than the PS4 (which is already rumoured to be pricey) or have cheaper hardware to achieve about the same price point (or below). I don't really see them going the really expensive route so then they must have at least skimped a little on components, so I'd give the edge to the PS4 if I had to guess. If they don't bundle kinects then all bets are off.

This is what I think. A new factor that we didn't have before is the cost of the new DualShock 4. I think that will still be cheaper to include than a Kinect, so my initial thoughts are the same, unless they include the new PlayStation Eye as well.

#46 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Let's compare some rumours and speculation with some just released info lacking any real detail and see which console is better!!!

Mirado already had that idea. I would be surprised if they are very different to be honest. I think it will be the same as it has been this generation. They basically look the same.

#47 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

It doesn't matter. As we've learned from this console gen, more power doesn't mean a better console, even higher quality hardware didn't matter. Secondly yes, it still is all about the games. For all of Sony's cell power hype, the console ports have been a nonstop punchline.

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How the bloody hell would I know?

#49 Posted by theveej (822 posts) -

it will pretty much the same. No point in giving PS any bullet point as far as spec goes that the general public can differentiate. Might not have unified ram etc, Msoft will cut down cost via contracts anyway.

#50 Posted by Flappy (2187 posts) -

I don't know, but as a 360 user with a Vita, it'll be really hard for Microsoft to win me over this time around.