#1 Posted by Joey_Connell (56 posts) -

Lately on the bombcast and other videos on the site the guys talk like its a certainty that both will come out next year. Do you think they know more then there letting on or have they just been in the industry long enough to know?

#2 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

Neither. There's enough precedent and rumour to be certain beyond a reasonable doubt that both the PS4 and 720 will be in our hands Holiday 2013.

Count on it. Save your pennies.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11043 posts) -

I'm not sure. I don't even know anything about it. I can't help but feel like we actually knew stuff about the 360 in 2004 and the PS3 and Wii in 2005.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

All I know is that my gut says 'maybe.'

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

Maybe. It's definitely not a certainty, I don't think.

#6 Posted by evanbower (1206 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

Neither. There's enough precedent and rumour to be certain beyond a reasonable doubt that both the PS4 and 720 will be in our hands Holiday 2013.

I don't think "precedent" is the word you're looking for. Precedent says we should've had the consoles around holiday 2011.

#7 Posted by Strife777 (1431 posts) -

One thing for sure, we're getting a full reveal of both at E3 next year. I think we'll also get our hands on them that same holiday. It's possible it will wait until 2014, but I have serious doubts.

#8 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

Yeah but we knew it was going to be a long haul. It was literally Sony's mission. My saying precedent is more based on 1) where the PC is in relation to the console market, 2) the amount of rumours/news about next generation hardware and development tools (new Unreal engine, new Frostbyte engine) and 3) the announcement of clearly-designed-to-be-middle-generation games, like Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313.

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

The key word here is ''maybe''. I'm pretty damn sure they will show them off at E3 next year, and they might go for a 2013 release date.

#10 Posted by Zajtalan (1153 posts) -

ryan is the illuminati informant of giant bomb

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

My dad is Microsoft and they are coming in 2013.

#12 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I'm going to say it's basically 100%, but how the Wii U does may effect their decision whether or not to bring out the new consoles.

#13 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

I feel like the PS4 is the biggest unknown among the two prospective systems. Considering how there's been much talk regarding how the next Xbox was originally supposed to come out in 2012, that system missing all of 2013 as well seems a little unlikely.

#14 Posted by Solidsnak (102 posts) -

I don't really care when they come out, I'm more concerned with why I should buy one over just getting a better video card for my pc, especially if they expect me to pay for the privilege of playing multiplayer.

#15 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

All I know is that my gut says 'maybe.'

It's a beige alert!

#16 Posted by FierceDeity (344 posts) -

I certainly hope so. I really want to listen to a best games of the generation podcast that Jeff suggested might happen next year.

#17 Posted by Turambar (6484 posts) -

I'd be very surprised if Microsoft and Sony both announce and release their consoles in the same year.

#18 Posted by HerbieBug (3841 posts) -

One of the two for sure. Sony is unlikely to allow MS a head start on securing the larger install base as they did the last time around, so expect both consoles to hit within months of each other.

Keep in mind dev kits for both consoles are already available.

#19 Posted by Xeirus (1279 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

That reminds me we need to really get rid of pennies...

#20 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1169 posts) -

I was almost 100% certain Durango was coming out holiday 2012. It makes sense to put it out next year but it made sense to put it out 2 years ago as well.

#21 Posted by Jay_Ray (1008 posts) -

My guess is one will arrive Fall 2013 and the other will be Spring 2014.

#22 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

Dude they did get rid of pennies where I live.

Well, they say did but I got at least 10 damn pennies today.

#23 Posted by BaconGames (3129 posts) -

Let's all hope on of those damn things does. If not someone somewhere fucked up and 2013 is going to be an awkward holiday season.

#24 Posted by Ares42 (2443 posts) -

The amount of games presented during this years E3 that wasn't being marketed as being made for PS3 or 360 (but rather "a high end PC") pretty much screams that new consoles are planned for next year. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that developers have had dev-kits for a while.

#25 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I'm gonna say Microsoft thinks they can wring another year out of that tired ass archaic machine, and Sony isn't in a position to start the next console generation.

#26 Edited by Hunter5024 (5171 posts) -

I think unless something goes wrong with production of the hardware, or some late game development issues arise with one of the platforms, that we will have both systems before the end of 2013. People also seem to be under the impression that they will be announced at e3 but I'm not so convinced of that. My prediction is that Microsoft announces through some mainstream press event a couple months before with a huge lack of focus on gaming, everyone gets super excited to hear all the news, they've already blown all their surprises so Microsoft loses e3, Sony announces at e3 with a much larger focus on gaming, people get very excited for the Playstation 4, both systems launch in the same month, 720 sells way better. Then people bitch for 6 months cause there are no new games.

#27 Posted by TehJedicake (867 posts) -

I 100% guarantee that the next Playstation and the next Xbox will be out before the end of 2013.

#28 Posted by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

I think unless something goes wrong with production of the hardware, or some late game development issues arise with one of the platforms, that we will have both systems before the end of 2013. People also seem to be under the impression that they will be announced at e3 but I'm not so convinced of that. My prediction is that 360 announces through some mainstream press event a couple months before with a huge lack of focus on gaming, everyone gets super excited to hear all the news, they've already blown all their surprises so Microsoft loses e3, Sony announces at e3 with a much larger focus on gaming, people get very excited for the playstation 4, both systems launch in the same month, 720 sells way better. Then people bitch for 6 months cause there are no new games.

I believe you will become a gaming prophet.

#29 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I do believe that the new xbox will be next holiday, however I don't think the next playstation is as certain and I'd personally lean towards a no. I think holiday 2014 is totally possible, or maybe even spring if they feel like they need to rush it and "lessen" the gap. Sony could easily look into the holiday and feel like they're doing pretty good with last of us in there and possible beyond two souls if that gets pushed. It'd look like a better holiday release wise then they have this year from them. At the same time Last of Us could just this gens God of War 2. Microsoft has the holiday pretty empty, with Gears seeming to being their last hurrah in this generation publishing wise.

Wonder if Ryse got pushed into being a launch kinect game for next gen.

While a total reveal come E3 is possible (hopefully they don't pull a nintendo and do mini conferences come summer and fall where the important details are finally known) don't be surprised if Microsoft does some kind of Xbox reveal on Spike or MTV before E3 like with the 360.

I'm also going to predict that the new xbox gets a pretty good lineup of games in it's release window. Than 3 years later everyone looks back and claims it had a shit launch.

Obviously I have no idea. Personally I hope I'm right just so if both convince me to get them day one, then at least theres a nice gap financially.

@Metric_Outlaw said:

I was almost 100% certain Durango was coming out holiday 2012. It makes sense to put it out next year but it made sense to put it out 2 years ago as well.

the rumor is that microsoft themselves thought it was going to be 2012 as well. I'd be curious if Halo 4 was always planned as a 360 game.