Posted by shell_kracker (71 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Will the PS4 be a JRPG friendly system? (56 votes)

Yes 80%
No 20%

This is a big issue for me, and tons of silent JRPG fans who don't speak up. It was already hard to develop JRPGs this generation, with many Japanese devlopers preferring handhelds.

Can we expect Ys: EIGHT from Falcom?

Or Persona 5 from Atlus?

Maybe Rogue Galaxy 2 from Level-5?

Or are Japanese companies gonna be priced out, by the massive costs of making games look as pretty as the next Killzone? How friendly a system is the PS4 looking to JRPGs?

#1 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I saw Atlas in the 3rd party developer thing.

#2 Posted by LikeaSsur (1507 posts) -

It dang well better be. I gotta get my fix.

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It will be "friendly" to any genre, it's not like the PS3 was lacking JRPGs, what it lacked was good ones and that wasn't the systems fault.

#4 Edited by EXTomar (4635 posts) -

The PS3 wasn't the big problem for many Japanese developers. Ignoring the goofy idea that PS3 was not "JRPG friendly", could it be that Japanese developers themselves that had problems developing across the board this gen?

I fully expect Falcom, Atlus and others to continue to make choices that are driven by money. Making RPGs on consoles, any console, is way way way more expensive than a portable along with the niche audience the consoles can support for that genre make it that much more risky. That doesn't change with the PS4.

#5 Posted by Rayeth (1033 posts) -

The bigger issue is that will any of those games actually get translated and brought to the West? They very well might get made in Japan, but never ever released over here.

#6 Edited by shell_kracker (71 posts) -

@sooty: Are you sure about that?

I don't know enough - but commentators have claimed this gen was simply too expensive to develop for.

Hence why JRPGs are a handheld genre these days (albiet as strong as ever).

#7 Edited by EXTomar (4635 posts) -

Why would a new console, with more power and complex features, make game development cheaper???

And we had this stupid topic a couple of weeks ago where someone asked "Where are all of the JRPGs on the PS3" and multiple posters rattled of lists of games. There were a lot of RPGs on the PS3, probably more than the 360 but they were rarely visible because the market doesn't buy them.

#8 Edited by pyrodactyl (1962 posts) -

Microsoft gave up on japan and won't pay for timed exclusive JRPGs/ have their console out 18 months before the PS4 this time around so you should expect almost every JRPG to go multiplatforme on day 1 and a few to go sony exclusive since, you know, Japan.

Either that or the genre dies slowly, I don't know...

#9 Posted by shell_kracker (71 posts) -

Some major JRPG devs I notaced in Sony's presentation chart:

- Falcom (Ys)

- Atlus (SMT, Persona)

- Level-5 (DQ, Rogue Galaxy)

- Square Enix (FF, KH, etc)

- tri-Ace (SO, Resonance of Fate)

This is some hardcore support from Japanese devs, if they are all developing games.

Notable absenses: Mistwalker.

@rayeth said:

The bigger issue is that will any of those games actually get translated and brought to the West? They very well might get made in Japan, but never ever released over here.

Scary, and all too believable.

The prospect of a generation where 20% of releases come west.

#10 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@rayeth said:

Scary, and all too believable.

The prospect of a generation where 20% of releases come west.

Only scary to me if Sony decide to region lock, but hopefully since the Vita isn't the PS4 won't be either.

#11 Edited by shell_kracker (71 posts) -

I'm still waiting for a western release of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment to finish the duology ^^

#12 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (567 posts) -

jrpg developers don't need to compete on a graphical level with Killzone. Its great that Square-Enix always wants to be on the cutting edge of graphical fidelity, but fans of the genre typically buy jrpgs for their mechanics and story, not graphics. So, its up to developers, not Sony or the hardware. There's certainly nothing preventing good jrpgs from coming out for the system.

#13 Posted by SweeneyTodd (27 posts) -

I would imagine if RPG devs found the current generation difficult to work with, that was more a factor of the additional asset work involved than "oh this machine is hard to program for".

#14 Posted by shell_kracker (71 posts) -

Thats the problem - asset work - half of the best, most genius JRPG studios have like 100 employers.

Doing thousands of textures, in high definition, to cover a massive gameworld = not appealing.

Which is why possibly the best JRPG developer, Atlus, re-use assets so often.

Strange Journey = Etrian Odyssey engine or vis a vis.

Persona 4 = Persona 3 Engine = Nocture = Digital Devil Saga.

#15 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The world is no longer a JRPG friendly place. There will be a few, but it will never again be like the Golden Age that we had on the PS1.

#16 Edited by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -

People have to be willing to make good ones first, as this generation taught us. I think people have moved on faster than JRPGs have evolved and a lot of them feel really stale. I mean I'm loving Ni No Kuni but nothing about the mechanics would have been unique or innovative on the PS2.

#17 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5372 posts) -

I really hope there will be. Come on Persona 5.

#18 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

You know I sure hope so that was the thing that bummed me out most about the ps3 considering how strong the ps2 and ps1 were when it came to JRPG'S

#19 Edited by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

I don't think it's a hardware issue, it's more an issue with translating the games and shipping them to the west.

#20 Posted by cutyoface (542 posts) -

I just hope that a new Persona game will come out soon.

#21 Edited by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -
#22 Posted by DarkShaper (1323 posts) -

I'm still waiting for a western release of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment to finish the duology ^^

I'm fairly certain that that got announced already.

#23 Posted by Andorski (5240 posts) -

Better question is if the majority of people buying games are JRPG friendly.

#24 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6141 posts) -

I hope so. I'm hungry for 'em. Ni no Kuni was great, but it was sort of a sad reminder of just how few good JRPGs we really had this generation.

#25 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

Persona will do pretty well on it regardless.