Posted by 23r23d23er23r234f2f2 (25 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Will trophy/achievement points play a part in your decision of which next gen console to buy? (143 votes)

Yes, I highly value my points. 6%
No, I'm not that bothered. 94%

I didn't realise this was as common as it is, just a loose observation based on lurking around on various forums.

Example, I have a trophy point score of 12 or something. I may think the xbox is superior, better value for money, better games etc. but I refuse to go for the xbox because I don't want to have to start an xbox account with very little reputation.

Trophies/Achivement score doesn't mean anything to me so it won't interfere with my decision on which console to buy, but is it playing a part in yours?

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The only thing I like about "points" Is the little artwork they come with.

#2 Posted by OGinOR (325 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Agree completely! The best part of unlocking an achievement is seeing what the icon is...I'm looking at games like Fallout and Borderlands here especially, with their slightly morbid senses of humor.

#3 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -

Leaving behind my Xbox achievements is hard but the PS4 is worth it.

#4 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

No. Trophies and Points are all bullshit. Wish they would go away. I hate that it can break immersion and possibly spoil parts of the game.

#5 Edited by 23r23d23er23r234f2f2 (25 posts) -

@tycobb: Lost count of the amount of times a trophy has popped up during a cutscene telling me when a certain part of the game is finished. At times I didn't even know I finished the game and just wanted to enjoy the cutscene, but the trophy icon sort of ruins that suspense for me.

I also refuse to check trophy lists before completing or getting very comfortable with a game now, just in case.

#6 Posted by WilliamHenry (1206 posts) -

I like achievements and will miss all the ones I've earned, but achievements alone are not enough for me to get an Xbox One.

#7 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

ROFL, no.

And the only game that did trophies/achievements right in my opinion was Heavy Rain. The delay that they put in so it pops during loading screens and doesn't spoil the story or story arc is something that others should have taken cues from.

#8 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Didn't make any difference to me before, so that's a big fat no.

#9 Posted by believer258 (12106 posts) -

Achievements are a good idea but they are not tying me to anything.

#10 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Its nice when an achievement pops up and when i very occasionally look at a games achievements and compare them on my friends list but that's not really anything to sway me.

Its something that makes the experience better but nothing that makes it an essential part for me, they could drop achievements for all i care.

#11 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Yes. I like watching my Gamerscore rise. If games don't give out a lot of achievement points for doing regular gameplay stuff I tend to give up on the games easier (like Devil May Cry).

#13 Posted by 23r23d23er23r234f2f2 (25 posts) -

Just want to reiterate here, just in case some won't get it

This isn't about whether you want achievement points or trophies or not because they are here to stay, it's whether you would be willing to start an account on the other console and start from scratch with no points and start working your way up again

#14 Posted by brownsfantb (409 posts) -

It's definitely a factor for me as far as where I'm going to play the multiplatform games. I will be getting both consoles but obviously won't be playing the same game on both. I almost exclusively played 360 games this generation and, although I never went crazy over achievements, I still liked seeing that gamerscore go up. I like having an overall score to look at rather than just individual games progress like how it is on Steam or PSN. But at the end of the day, I'm going to play multiplatform games on the console that provides the best service.

#15 Posted by Morningstar (2232 posts) -

@tycobb: Lost count of the amount of times a trophy has popped up during a cutscene telling me when a certain part of the game is finished. At times I didn't even know I finished the game and just wanted to enjoy the cutscene, but the trophy icon sort of ruins that suspense for me.

I also refuse to check trophy lists before completing or getting very comfortable with a game now, just in case.

Can't you disable them popping up though? Or is it just on the Xbox you can do that?

#16 Edited by VarrosAnon (49 posts) -

I have both consoles now, but got a PS3 first in 2010 (pulled the next-gen trigger after being a steam guy for Red Dead) and that was my first real taste of accumulating trophies. While I would certainly say I don't care and wouldn't miss them if they were gone, I totally like being able to look back through them and have some kind of stupid level system telling me how much I've played PS3 games compared to my friends, etc. I would actually appreciate if they reset the level on each console, as I won't really give a shit how much I played on the last console when I have a shiny new box, and I want to make new memories on it. I won't really care about 100%ing LA Noire when I'm looking back on my trophies for Second Son and The Order.

#17 Posted by Nephrahim (1156 posts) -

Nah.

Although I do LIKE achievements (Most of mine are Steam these days) the idea of accumulating a lot of them seems very strange to me. People bragging about their achievement points... It's an odd thing to brag about.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

Lol no. I honestly didn't realize people still cared about them. Unless they start offering some tangible reward like the Steam stuff does now I will never care for them.

#19 Edited by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

Not until Giantbomb allows tracking of it again and being able to see which achievements most people get etc... Basically, I just want to be able to see the stats that developers get and be able to see how mine compare to my friends, people in my country and the world. Otherwise, it is just a random number that is fairly meaningless to me.

#20 Edited by Reisz (1522 posts) -

Never even crossed my mind.

#21 Edited by Demoskinos (15112 posts) -

Lol, no.

#22 Edited by YukoAsho (2106 posts) -

I don't give a crap about achievements. If it didn't block online notifications, I'd block all on-screen notifications while playing.

#23 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2572 posts) -

Nope. I'm more than okay with leaving those useless bleep bloops in favor of a better console. (imo)

#24 Edited by RE_Player1 (7574 posts) -

It's not a deciding factor but it will be nice having my trophy level carry over and continue to grow through the PS4's library. I got a 360 so late in the cycle I don't care about achievements though and will probably not be purchasing an Xbox One. It's cool how they are trying to change up achievements for pepole who are into that system though.

#25 Posted by BaconGames (3545 posts) -

I have some in all 3 systems, so not really. It's the design of the achievements that matter and as a fun not-to-be-taken-seriously comparison between your friends. That they exist at all is fine, there are options to turn the notification.

#26 Posted by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -

Sometimes they offer a fun challenge if I really like the game, but it's something I can do without.

#27 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

I'm a completionist when it comes to certain games, but I've never considered achievements as part of that. I don't consider them as part of the game proper.

#28 Posted by Sergio (2202 posts) -

The only achievements that really matter to me is whether or not one finished the game. Both systems have that.

#29 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

No, because I'm not an idiot.

#30 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

The cumulative total of points has never been what's important to me, because it's not really a direct comparison for any of my friends, and with things like Avatar around to artificially boost your score, those numbers aren't really meaningful. I care about Achievement Points and Trophies on a game by game basis, so even if I wasn't planning on sticking with Sony, it wouldn't matter to me.

#31 Posted by Nezza (377 posts) -

The only purpose they serve for me is remembering what games I've owned/played.

#32 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I think I'll make it.

#33 Edited by Wampa1 (725 posts) -

@candycowman: The "best" one was still in Enslaved, a major character moment is ruined by an achievement name that treats it like a joke when it's played deadly serious.

#34 Posted by OLph (22 posts) -

I've been prostituting it up really bad on the 360 but at the moment that alone is not enough to make me buy a system that doesn't look like it was made for me. (Besides if you go down that path really bad you probably would want to be able to borrow games and buy used games. Paying $30 for random crap that you'll finish in two evenings doesn't feel right for me).

#35 Posted by Nephrahim (1156 posts) -

@dixavd said:

Not until Giantbomb allows tracking of it again and being able to see which achievements most people get etc... Basically, I just want to be able to see the stats that developers get and be able to see how mine compare to my friends, people in my country and the world. Otherwise, it is just a random number that is fairly meaningless to me.

Yeah! Someone, anyone, BRING BACK ACHIEVEMENT TRACKING! I loved that feature!