• 69 results
#1 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

I hadn't paid any attention to Titanfall news since it's announcement, since I'd pretty much been sold from the announcement trailer, since it was a new mech shooter on PC from a respected development team. It only dawned on me a few months ago that this was being published by EA.

EA's record has been pretty checkered over the last few years, and had gotten even worse in 2013 with the way they'd handled SimCity, Battlefield, Plants vs. Zombies, and Dungeon Keeper. I've managed to avoid buying from them for a few years now.

I'd love to support Respawn's debut title, since that team has done solid work and I'm excited to see them working on an IP other than COD. But that support will also be funding EA and their business strategy.

Are you guys going to make an exception for Titanfall and buy it, even though it's from EA?

#2 Posted by Abendlaender (2804 posts) -

I don't recall boycotting EA, so it's not really an exception. But yes, if the game is good I'm probably going to buy it. I will always buy good games. I honestly don't care that much who publishes them.

#3 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

If I enjoy my time in the beta, then I will buy it from Origin. I don't give a damn about peoples feelings toward EA, I always enjoyed their games, so no reason to not buy a game because it is published by EA.

#4 Edited by awesomeusername (4184 posts) -

No. But that's because I have a PS4.

The real question is, will I buy Titanfall 2!?

Also, boycotting games because of the publisher is dumb. Boycotting a franchise isn't (Looking at you inevitable Battlefield 5 which will launch with a broken main menu).

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I might get the 360 version depending on how gutted it is. Ill obviously wait till alittle after its out to make my decision.

#6 Posted by Humanity (9227 posts) -

I'll probably get it for PC since I don't have an XBO and don't really want to play it on 360 - although I wonder if playing it on PC would be a problem since I'd be using a controller and I assume most other people would be playing mouse and keyboard.

#7 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5028 posts) -

I wont be buying it, not because i dislike EA or anything. I was not really taken with the time i put into the alpha, i mean it's felt fantastic to control but it's really another take on COD which is totally fine. Also i got FPS fatigue. Also this game has zero EA influence, No Day 1 DLC, No Microtransactions, XP Booster Mountain Dew Doritos websites. I'll play the beta if i get in on pc or x1 but that will be it.

#8 Edited by Giganteus (185 posts) -

After buying Battlefield 4 immediately after its release, I'm not jumping the gun with EA games, anymore. I plan on getting Titanfall for the PC (assuming I enjoy what I play in the beta), but I'll wait to see how the infrastructure and the game is for a week or so before I grab it.

#9 Edited by micemoney (147 posts) -

Yeah probably Day 1(X1). Looks like a blast to play.

#10 Posted by PatODay (219 posts) -

I'm buying Titanfall on XBO. I'm hoping that by having servers on the Microsoft side will make the performance more stable than games that have come out on Origin and EA's servers.

#12 Edited by Capum15 (4899 posts) -

No, mostly because I don't have an urge to play it.

Looks cool though.

#13 Edited by Vuud (1991 posts) -

I won't but not because of EA. I am just so burnt out on the unlock grind bullshit that comes with FPSs these days. That's why I found CSGO so refreshing. I was never into CS until I started playing Battlefield, Medal of Honor, etc. and then I saw how superior CS's system of earning money in matches to buy guns is.

#14 Edited by spraynardtatum (2944 posts) -

I don't know.

#15 Posted by Pr1mus (3907 posts) -

No because it looks bland and boring.

#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5490 posts) -

Yep, because it looks super fun. I may hold off on a purchase however until I know the online functionality is stable enough to play the game.

#17 Posted by VeggiesBro (131 posts) -

Yep, i'll be picking it up on Xbox One. I'm a bit hesitant about potential online issues, but time will tell I guess.

#18 Posted by spraynardtatum (2944 posts) -
#19 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5477 posts) -

Looks nifty but doesn't seem like they'll have enough time to polish/balance it. Right now it seems like the best players will just use their mechs as AI and stay in buildings to take potshots at the clumsily piloted Titans. Not buying a new console for at least a few years (Dark Souls 3 seems like a realistic point in the future); if this game really does look awesome enough I might buy the dreaded XBone; but by that time I imagine Titanfall 2 will be out for PS4 so it's going to come down to other games/exclusives/performance issues.

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Probably not but only because it doesn't look like a particularly interesting shooter.

#21 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5490 posts) -
#22 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2388 posts) -

I will, but not right away seeing as I don't have an Xbox One or a PC. (Well, not one that could run it on desirable settings anyway)

If it doesn't suck I'll get the 360 version. Kinda stinks that that particular version got delayed, so we'll have to wait to find out. Otherwise it looks mega fun and I'm jealous of those who got to play the alpha and beta.

#23 Posted by ShaggE (6452 posts) -

Probably not. It looks fun, don't get me wrong, but a multiplayer only game has to REALLY grab me. That's why I've never bitten the bullet on Battlefield 3 or 4 despite being interested in them.

#24 Edited by Andorski (5309 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Didn't MS get the exclusive rights to the TitanFall series? Or are you saying that by the time the sequel comes out you will have Xbox One?

#25 Edited by CatsAkimbo (625 posts) -

Respawn Entertainment is a privately owned studio that got some funding from EA through the EA Partners Program. DICE and Maxis are wholly-owned by or subsidiaries of EA. EA is just pressing discs, distributing, and (maybe) advertising for Titanfall. Theoretically, EA shouldn't have as much say on the development of a game from a studio they don't own.

So, to say you're buying it "from EA" is a little disingenuous. It's still possible they can strong-arm Respawn into whatever, but they don't have nearly as much sway as with a studio that they own, and therefore I don't see why anyone should have any problem picking up Titanfall.

#26 Edited by Strife777 (1579 posts) -

I was considering getting it on PC, but I'd rather play it console. Problem is, I don't have an Xbox One.

360 is sort of out of the question at this point.

Edit: I guess to keep it on topic, I don't care about it being published by EA. I might not agree with all their decisions, but Titanfall looks stellar, so if anything, it would make sense to support that. While some would argue it's console exclusivity counters this, it's also devoid of "gross" business focused decisions such as microtransactions (allegedly.)

#27 Posted by spraynardtatum (2944 posts) -

Respawn Entertainment is a privately owned studio that got some funding from EA through the EA Partners Program. DICE and Maxis are wholly-owned by or subsidiaries of EA. EA is just pressing discs, distributing, and (maybe) advertising for Titanfall. Theoretically, EA shouldn't have as much say on the development of a game from a studio they don't own.

So, to say you're buying it "from EA" is a little disingenuous. It's still possible they can strong-arm Respawn into whatever, but they don't have nearly as much sway as with a studio that they own, and therefore I don't see why anyone should have any problem picking up Titanfall.

Basically what it boils down to is if Respawn or EA are providing/running the servers because EA has had two huge clunkers recently in the online department. Both Sim City and BF4 were stupendously stupid launches even though they showed well to the press and had functional betas beforehand. They're absolutely horrible at providing stable multiplayer focused games out of the gate and so far haven't proven that they want to do it any better.

Hopefully Respawn is able to pull all the weight and help them past the starting line.

#28 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2130 posts) -

I mean, now this might be crazy, maybe wait to see if it is a flaming mess when it comes out then decide?

#29 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

That's an interesting consideration, might lessen my guilt enough to break out the credit card for this one.

#30 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

I was considering getting it on PC, but I'd rather play it console. Problem is, I don't have an Xbox One.

360 is sort of out of the question at this point.

Edit: I guess to keep it on topic, I don't care about it being published by EA. I might not agree with all their decisions, but Titanfall looks stellar, so if anything, it would make sense to support that. While some would argue it's console exclusivity counters this, it's also devoid of "gross" business focused decisions such as microtransactions (allegedly.)

That microtransaction issue is my biggest fear. The game looks great, I don't doubt that I'll have a blast with the base product, but I'm concerned that Titanfall 2 will be a steaming pile of pay-to-win garbage after being funded by EA. It's the direction they're looking to take all games in, and after my gaming group already took a deep dive on an unabashedly unrepentant pay-to win game (Ghost Recon Online) I've seen the future and it's awful. It'd suck to get invested in a new franchise that'll just be following up it's debut with the shooter-equivalent of Plants vs. Zombies 2.

#31 Posted by noizy (666 posts) -

Recent Titanfall coverage is making me wonder more and more about Destiny.

#32 Edited by Sterling (2284 posts) -

I never really was on board with Titanfall. And now that I've seen the footage Jeff showed, I have zero interest in ever playing it. So I guess, No.

#33 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

Sure, If I ever get a Xbone. I only got one life to live anyway. Might aswell enjoy some of the games on this planet while I still exist.

#34 Posted by JRM (57 posts) -

It looks pretty slick but I think I'll probably pass.

#35 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

I don't recall boycotting EA, so it's not really an exception. But yes, if the game is good I'm probably going to buy it. I will always buy good games. I honestly don't care that much who publishes them.

Same.

#36 Edited by crithon (3226 posts) -

soooooo, the special Xbox one feature is "dedicated servers by microsoft."...... so there's a good bet it won't be battlefield 4 level of just mess up by EA..... unless it's PC?

I'm a bit cynical, I will wait till 3 weeks or a month later, but except the game does look good, and I don't blame you for pre ordering it. EA DESERVES TO BE QUESTIONED.

#37 Posted by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

No, not my type of game.

#38 Edited by Brundage (376 posts) -

anyone who owns an Xbox One would be an idiot not to..

#39 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1419 posts) -

I bought Battlefield 4 and Premium for bot PC and PS4, so i would buy Titanfall from EA, but after the unfinished i might hold out until April

#40 Posted by KaneRobot (1606 posts) -

I like how the awkward "from EA" was tacked on to the subject line to try to not-so-subtly sway opinion before even entering the thread.

But oh, I'm buying it. And buying an XBone alongside it. Looks the the most fun shooter I've seen in a while.

#41 Posted by Veektarius (4825 posts) -

If the game is launched in good condition, I'll buy it. I will, however, keep my eyes peeled for signs of gross incompetence in reviews.

#42 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Not for 60 bucks, no

I got Battlefield 4 for free and I like it and enjoy the multiplayer, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. I dont like paying full price for Multiplayer only games

#43 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

No. The game looks pretty solid. I think it will be a ton of fun. I'm going to pass on it though.

I've had serious issues with the last few EA games I bought so I stopped buying them. Mostly with their Origin system, even their dumb Origin logins on xbox360 games. ME3 straight up wouldn't get past the title screen. EA customer service basically told me to go fuck myself. So fine. I don't want to bother with their nonsense ever again. ME3 was the last EA game for me. There is enough awesome games out there I couldn't possibly play them all anyway. Cutting EA out was pretty easy.

#44 Edited by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

If you're stupid enough to preorder/buy BF4 or Sims day 1, then you deserve to be fucked by launch woes.

Stop trying to sway people's opinions with "by EA". It's your money you wasted, not EA's fault.

#45 Posted by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

Probably. I have an Xbox One.

#46 Posted by awesomeusername (4184 posts) -

@andorski: I doubt I'll ever have an X1 but if I do, it'll be years down the line. MS only locked down exclusivity for this first Titanfall. It's pretty much been implied sequels would be multiplat. Also, Vince Zampella said it was supposed to be exclusive at launch but EA made it exclusive forever. Those bastards! But whatever, I'm awful at FPS games anyway. One look at my KD ratio in all the CoD games says it all. I don't know why I find them enjoyable.

#47 Edited by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -

I will be buying this video game upon day one from Amazon.co.uk for £34.99 for use inside of my Personal Computer machine.

#48 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4744 posts) -

No because it looks like another boring and insipid CoD game. How the fuck do you make mechs look dull!?

Boycotting because of the publisher is silly though.

#49 Posted by OtakuGamer (1235 posts) -

I don't simply boycott companies but I will be more cautious than I was with Battlefield 4 and wait until a few weeks after the game has been released to see what everyone thinks of the game.

#50 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

No because it doesn't look that interesting to me. Calling in a mech looked impressive at first but I haven't even played it yet and it looks like it will just get repetitive. Even playing as a mech doesn't look like a mech, the hud only looks slightly different, your movement is different and you're still just holding a gun only bigger than everyone else. Multiplayer shooters like this just aren't that fun for me anymore so I'm going to pass on this one.