• 50 results
#1 Edited by MocBucket62 (1245 posts) -

Just thought of this today, do any of you guys plan on playing some of Ryan's favorite games in memory of him? For me, I plan on playing XCOM Enemy Unknown sometime today in honor of Ryan since that was his game of the year in 2012. I also plan on playing Uncharted 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum, those were two of his favorite games back in 2009.

I'd like to know if you guys are doing the same thing and what other games you will play in memory of Ryan. If any of you prefer not to play games in honor of him and do something else in memory or just want to take some time to recover from this news, that's more than ok too. Hope everyone in the community, the staff and the friends of Ryan Davis are staying strong.

#2 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

I'll probably stream some SMB3 and link to whatever charity/fund the guys set up when they do so.

#3 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

I'll be listening to the Bully soundtrack that's for sure. I also need to dig into XCOM.

#4 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

My problem with the GB staff is that they think some games are "cool" "I guess".

If you can name me four games that Ryan seriously loved madly and passionately like a small child loves his favorite DVD, I'll play them, but I don't wanna play the games he liked because hey thought they were "cool" or "awesome." I like unhealthy passion and enthusiasm.

#5 Posted by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

I remember him loving some Saints Row, so I plan on playing some of that in the near future (also in preparation for the fourth).

#6 Posted by onarum (2149 posts) -

yes... I watched the 2011 goty video and realized I never got to play saints row the third, and thought that if Ryan loved it so much I gotta play It too.

#7 Edited by MEATBALL (3330 posts) -

I was thinking of playing a bunch of Saints Row The Third in his honor. And similarly to the OP, I was watching his top 10s over the years and thinking of maybe playing some of those games, maybe I'll get up to some UH UH UH UH UH in Assassin's Creed.

#8 Edited by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

Also don't forget: He fucking LOVED some Sid Meier's Golf. Pretty much any SM game come to think about it.

#9 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

Hmm well I've had XCOM for a few months and haven't played it at all so maybe now I finally will!

#10 Edited by Rabbykayn (227 posts) -

I played Saints Row The Third for a bit last night in his honor.. but then it started raining in game and a sad song came on the car radio and I fucking cried like a little girl.. so that ended that.

#11 Edited by shrinerr (138 posts) -

I'm gonna play some Brave New World and conquer the SHIT outta those other civs, cuz that's what Ryan would've wanted :) ...

#12 Posted by Iodine (549 posts) -

I am modeling President Saint after him (also using Nolan North voice because I feel like thats what he would want)

#13 Posted by cloudymusic (1160 posts) -

I'm going to buy every piece of DLC that comes out for Pac-Man CEDX, due to Ryan saying that he intended to do just that very recently.

#14 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Has anybody made a list of games Ryan said were his favourite (or at least said he loved)?

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by HelicopterSpy (145 posts) -

I definitely played some Civ V the day the news broke. It's a really comforting game, fairly passive but still involved. I recommend it.

#16 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -

Definitely SMB3, and maybe some XCOM. If only Kuribo's shoe was in XCOM. Oh shit, I just thought of a Kuribo's shoe crossed with a New Balance. Now there's an amount of stupidity Ryan could get behind.

#17 Posted by TheHBK (5506 posts) -

I am playing Alan Wake. Never played it and I remember it was one of those games he really enjoyed.

#18 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

Seems like no one mentioned Sim Golf but i remember him talking about how much he liked it. I should get myself a copy of that.

#19 Edited by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I've been replaying through Saint's Row the Third recently. I might finish that up.

#20 Posted by JadeGL (912 posts) -

I have to play Condemned 2. I finished the first one and loved it, got the second one and never started it for some reason. Seems like a good time to play it. Hopefully Ryan would approve of simulated hobo murder in his memory.

Maybe I'll finish Alan Wake too.

#21 Edited by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
#22 Posted by SeanFoster (878 posts) -

I'm off Thursday and Friday and I'm planning to play some Civilization V: Brave New World set to the music of Ryan's Summerjam playlist. :)

#23 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

One of these days when I get off my lazy ass, I want to do a live stream of me playing games that he enjoyed. No idea when I will be doing it, but I think it would be cool.

#24 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

I was playing Just Cause 2 when I found out. Most games I own are based on Bombcast recommendations.

#25 Posted by sub_o (905 posts) -

I'm trying to replay (and maybe purchase) most of the games that were in Ryan's GOTY lists, plus the ones he reviewed highly.

#26 Posted by RandomAtom (90 posts) -

I played a bit of Saints Row: The Third, I re dl'ed XCOM but haven't had time to play. Definitely listening to his summerjam list because they are absolutely the REALEST JAMS.

#27 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2036 posts) -

Definitely in the process of finishing up Saints Row: The Third, which I got to the middle of and forgot it for over a year in the midst of how busy I've been.

#28 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

Beat SMB3 for the Famicom for the first time just now while listening to the most recent bombcast. That one's for you Ryan.

#29 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I guess it's time for me to finally play Saints Row the Third.

#30 Edited by Fattony12000 (7525 posts) -
#31 Posted by Poppy_Persona (154 posts) -

@dharmabum: I literally downloaded the bully soundtrack the day we found out, it reminded me of Ryan so much! Also I think I'm gonna replay it too.

#32 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

I'll play some of Saints Row 3 in his honor. I absolutely love that game.

#33 Posted by allgrinzz (162 posts) -

Playing Saints Row the Third with Ryan Davis as an avatar. Starting fresh, going to complete the game with a full finish and take Ryan into Saints Row 4, because I can't play that game without him.

#34 Edited by Mezmero (1965 posts) -

I played a bunch of games in his honor while he was still alive because he recommended it. I still love a lot of the games he loved but I'll replay them if I'm in the mood as I always have. I'd rather do something crazier like wear a hummingbird feeding mask.

#35 Posted by cmblasko (1282 posts) -

Played Hotline Miami for the first time tonight in Ryan's memory. Man, that game is intense. Each mission I complete leaves me in a shaky, adrenaline-filled mess.

#36 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

I've been playing Saints Row 3. Both because of Ryan and because backlog.

#37 Edited by MarkTheSlark (25 posts) -

Just thought of this today, do any of you guys plan on playing some of Ryan's favorite games in memory of him? For me, I plan on playing XCOM Enemy Unknown sometime today in honor of Ryan since that was his game of the year in 2012. I also plan on playing Uncharted 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum, those were two of his favorite games back in 2009.

I'd like to know if you guys are doing the same thing and what other games you will play in memory of Ryan. If any of you prefer not to play games in honor of him and do something else in memory or just want to take some time to recover from this news, that's more than ok too. Hope everyone in the community, the staff and the friends of Ryan Davis are staying strong.

This is going a bit overboard. Its sad he died, but enough already with the threads. And you never even met him, come on really...

#38 Posted by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

Not planning on it, but if it just so happens to be something he liked, then cool.

#39 Edited by Sanity (1939 posts) -

@mocbucket62 said:

This is going a bit overboard. Its sad he died, but enough already with the threads. And you never even met him, come on really...

Whats so wrong with people mourning in there own way? I realize we didn't truly know him but obviously we got invested in his work enough that this has all affected us in some way. The dude who wanted to get a tattoo might have been going overboard but playing some of Ryan's favorite games seems a bit fitting and its not hurting anyone.

#40 Edited by KaneRobot (1685 posts) -

Yep. Actually played the first 20 minutes or so of Xcom tonight. Never liked turn-based strategy so I feel like it's just going to overwhelm me soon (playing on normal), but for now, so far it has been fun. So thanks, Microsoft sales from last week. I bought it when it was 20 bucks and didn't know when I'd get around to it, but Ryan's passing sort of pushed it to the front of the line for me.

#41 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Didn't know he liked Civ 5 but I played that for the first time last night while drunk and couldn't do the tutorials plus had a massive headache after 2 hours from intense concentration. I think he'd find that funny.

#42 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

I'll start to play the Assassin Creed and Arkham games. Also, as many as tennis games as I can.

#43 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

I wanted to fire up Dirt 2 last night but I forgot that I had uninstalled it. I remember Ryan talking about enjoying it a lot, and how he liked the lady co-driver voice.

#44 Posted by Nightriff (5152 posts) -

Bought Saints Row the Third Full Package for PC in memory of Ryan. Beat it on console but when I upgrade my PC someday I will play it again in his memory.

#45 Posted by joshwent (2297 posts) -
#46 Edited by TiptoeMustachio (8 posts) -

Don't forget about Bastion!

#47 Edited by MarkTheSlark (25 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Says the guy who joined the site fucking yesterday?!? I wouldn't expect you to understand then, but why not let people honor his life how they choose, and maybe just not comment on a thread if you have nothing productive to say.

No need to be an ass to me for no reason. I just think it doesn't really do any good for someone to get all depressed over someone they never even met. I have been reading this site for 2 years, and its sad to see him go no doubt, but seeing people who never even met the guy getting super depressed (not good for your health) and getting a tattoo over him, and ordering Ryan's favorite shoes is a bit overboard don't you agree? I'm just trying to help the guy get positive and don't be so depressed over it.

#48 Posted by joshwent (2297 posts) -

@marktheslark: Your opinion is a valid one. Maybe there are ways of grieving that inadvertently make it worse? Maybe it's important to consider that you never directly interacted with a person you mourn for? And maybe, you could have said that first.

What you did say came off as a new person to the site belittling the death of one of its beloved founders and shaming people for trying to honor him by simply playing games he liked. When you say things like:

And then quickly follow it up with:

I'm just trying to help the guy get positive and don't be so depressed over it.

Sorry buddy but no, you're just not. If you have nothing to add, just let people be.

#49 Posted by MarkTheSlark (25 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@marktheslark: Your opinion is a valid one. Maybe there are ways of grieving that inadvertently make it worse? Maybe it's important to consider that you never directly interacted with a person you mourn for? And maybe, you could have said that first.

What you did say came off as a new person to the site belittling the death of one of its beloved founders and shaming people for trying to honor him by simply playing games he liked. When you say things like:

And then quickly follow it up with:

I'm just trying to help the guy get positive and don't be so depressed over it.

Sorry buddy but no, you're just not. If you have nothing to add, just let people be.

I apologize if it came across that way. I just see people who never met him getting a tattoo of him ( permanent and could easily regret it someday) and getting depressed is not good for ones health.

#50 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

@marktheslark: There's a big difference between getting depressed and mourning someone. The fact many of us didn't personally meet Ryan doesn't stop us from missing him and wanting to in some way keep our memories of him. You can call it unhealthy if you like, but it comes across as being in very poor taste around here, and for good reason.