Posted by isomeri (1661 posts) 1 year, 9 months ago

Poll: Will you stick with discs in the next-gen world? (443 votes)

I will only buy discs. 8%
I will buy discs, but maybe also some digital downloads depending on price etc. 46%
I will probably buy both in equal amounts. 18%
I will buy digital downloads, but maybe also some discs depending on price etc. 23%
I will only buy digital downloads. 6%

Both major console manufacturers have now announced plans to release all games on day one in both digital and disc form. What I'm interested in knowing is what format the duders on the forum are leaning towards? Are you drawn in by the convenience of digital downloads or do you feel the need to trade in and borrow your games in a physical format?

Personally I'm ready to buy all my games digitally, but since physical games work the same way as downloads on the Xbox One I'm not opposed to buying discs if they show up on sale or whatnot.

PS: I sort of remember there being a similar thread a few months back, but since the forum search sucks I wasn't able to find it. Maybe it's good to start a new one anyways to nullify the pre-E3 results.

#1 Posted by Marcsman (3366 posts) -

I prefer disc, but for a deal, I will take Downloads.

#2 Edited by Klaptos (185 posts) -

Just like this generation, a combination of both.

#3 Posted by devilzrule27 (1241 posts) -

I prefer physical media because I like owning what I buy but I'm enough of a cheap bastard to take advantage of a good digital sale when one pops up.

#4 Posted by Bollard (6242 posts) -

Has the PS4 stated whether they have disc free play? Because I still generally prefer installing from a disc over a download. Also usually cheaper. I just like the convenience of not having to switch games (why I pay a premium for download games on 3DS).

#5 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1260 posts) -

Having slow internet, I usually will buy discs. I'll do the same next generation like I did this generation. Mostly discs, but I'll also buy a few downloadable games.

#6 Posted by automatontribe (201 posts) -

I always buy the disc version if there is one. Always wished I could somehow get all my favorite downloaded indie games on disc as well. Physical media is where it's at for me, mostly because it means that the games I buy I will always be able to play. I also just like owning physical stuff for some reason, it's just too bad that companies basically don't give a damn about manual's and extra goodies nowadays. And also, I never ever trade in my games, maybe I would if the deals would be better but not as it is now. If I want to trade games I'd do it with a friend, much more fair that way.

#7 Edited by jimmyfenix (3941 posts) -

I buy discs alot and some times digital. The discs are because so i can say to my friends "YO DUDE YOU WANT TO SEE MY GAME COLLECTION" Its weird i know.

#8 Posted by isomeri (1661 posts) -

Has the PS4 stated whether they have disc free play? Because I still generally prefer installing from a disc over a download. Also usually cheaper. I just like the convenience of not having to switch games (why I pay a premium for download games on 3DS).

I can't imagine how Sony could let you install those discs on the hard-drive and play them without having the disc in the system if there is no online DRM.

#9 Edited by mikey87144 (1978 posts) -

Depends on price. I'll probably lean more toward digital though.

#10 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

I'll do all of my digital purchasing on the PC, I will favor discs for PS4 until I hear that digital purchases carry forward on future hardware.

#11 Edited by ShaggE (7018 posts) -

Slow internet, so I'll still keep downloads to a minimum. At about an hour a gig, with PS4 games no doubt being massive, no thank you. Besides, I like a physical collection.

#12 Posted by ProfessorEss (7647 posts) -

For me everything depends on price.

If everything stays as it is then I'm gonna be 90% digital because I'm going to continue buying 90% of my software from sick-ass Steam/Amazon/GoG sales.

#13 Posted by EchoEcho (836 posts) -

I like having a collection, so I'll still buy disks 90% of the time. If something is on sale digitally for a really good price, though, I will definitely take advantage of it.

#14 Edited by Bollard (6242 posts) -
@isomeri said:

@chavtheworld said:

I can't imagine how Sony could let you install those discs on the hard-drive and play them without having the disc in the system if there is no online DRM.

Shame.

#15 Edited by spraynardtatum (4038 posts) -

Both

#16 Posted by Jachin (50 posts) -

Typically for consoles, I can almost always get a better price for a physical copy than a digital one. If they don't change on that front, I see no reason to switch.

#17 Edited by AngriGhandi (817 posts) -

Imma buy 'em on disc!

That way, if they suck, I can sell that shit!!

And be like, "fuck you, game!"

(This is why PS4 is cool)

#18 Posted by Levius (1288 posts) -

I will probably buy whatever's cheapest, though space concerns and the fact I don't really trade in games means I really ought to start buying digital. I hope PSN eventually supports PayPal, as that would make the crossover go a lot easier for me.

#19 Edited by AngriGhandi (817 posts) -
@isomeri said:

I guess it depends on how much you value those three steps to get from the couch to the entertainment center.

"Three fewer steps? Both ways?? Well, that's worth this whole new imposing system of control, I guess."

...And Benjamin Franklin weeps.

Edit: I guess this doesn't really relate very well to the post I quoted. Whoops!

#20 Posted by isomeri (1661 posts) -

@isomeri said:

I guess it depends on how much you value those three steps to get from the couch to the entertainment center.

"Three fewer steps? Both ways?? Well, that's worth this whole new imposing system of control, I guess."

...And Benjamin Franklin weeps.

The bigger issue for me is not having enough room in my apartment for discs. Also your post didn't relate to the post you were quoting.

#21 Edited by FlipperDesert (2130 posts) -

For single-player stuff at launch? Sure, I'll download it. With things like fighting games I want a disc so I can take it to a friend's house or something like that. Might also get games on disc if the price drops significantly, just like now.

#22 Posted by YoungFrey (1363 posts) -

I'll only get disks if they have some transferable value. I already buy a lot of digital, but it's primarily smaller titles, I have a lot of XBLA games. But I like discs only if they represent some accrued value.

#23 Posted by Scrawnto (2488 posts) -

The only discs I buy for PC are in the occasional collector's edition. I buy all my 3DS games digitally. I imagine the same will be true for consoles next gen.

#24 Edited by Seppli (11233 posts) -

At first mostly discs, but I intend to finally pull the trigger on a credit or debit card, and get in on all the digital sales on Steam and Origin and GoG and whatnot. Hopefully PSN will be more dynamically priced, like the digital storefronts on PC.

#25 Posted by Master_Funk (746 posts) -

Unless digital becomes as cheap or cheaper than amazon, then I am sticking with disks.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14278 posts) -

If I get a PS4 I'll probably be getting them in about equal amounts. The digital downloads are certainly more convenient, but sometimes I like to share my games with people.

#27 Edited by billyhoush (1234 posts) -

I live in Canada where cable ISPs have monthly caps so disc if I can.

#28 Posted by MideonNViscera (2269 posts) -

Almost entirely discs. Actually probably all discs. Unless it's a game I know I'll play forever, and won't have a sequel, it'll be discs. I don't need a collection of 100 digital games I'll never play again, which is what I'd have this gen if it'd been all digital.

#29 Posted by Gargantuan (1890 posts) -

It depends on the price.

#30 Posted by psylah (2272 posts) -

I'll continue buying on discs, I hand down my games to my nephews and cousins when I am done with them.

#31 Posted by PatODay (252 posts) -

It all depends. If a game will be available as a day 1 download I might be more inclined to do that as opposed to going to a midnight launch when it's freezing out. There's something to be said for the physical media and collectors editions of certain games would absolutely be worth it over the convenience and ease of a download.

#32 Posted by Milkman (17761 posts) -

If it's the same price and available on the same day digitally, I don't see any reason why I would buy a disc ever again.

#33 Posted by i69edUrGpa (596 posts) -

I like having my collection of boxes and everything but the convenience of downloads is hard to turn away...probably downloads

#34 Edited by Loopah (165 posts) -

My general rule of thumb is to go disc if I get it day one or if it's a collector's edition. If I'm picking it up later, the deals for online downloads are usually much better then a retail copy. Then again, who knew 7 years ago that all games would be available to download and for retail? My opinion is always open for changing.

#35 Edited by Yummylee (23178 posts) -
@marcsman said:

I prefer disc, but for a deal, I will take Downloads.

Same.

#36 Edited by jdh5153 (1097 posts) -

Hell no....Buying discs today is like buying cassettes in the early 2000's...it's just stupid.

#37 Edited by believer258 (12592 posts) -

I'll probably buy discs, but I'll take a cheap download.

@jdh5153 said:

Hell no....Buying discs today is like buying cassettes in the early 2000's...it's just stupid.

God, you're such an ignorant asshole. Yeah, that's a comment worthy of moderation, but I'm not stupid for preferring to hold the thing I just bought.

#39 Edited by Jimbo (10146 posts) -

Digital games should be cheaper than retail, but my experience on PC is that it's usually still quite a bit cheaper to have a physical copy hand-delivered to my door, which is ridiculous.

I won't make the switch to digital as long as they are still taking the piss on pricing.

edit: talking about new games obv

#40 Edited by Aleryn (718 posts) -

I'll prefer discs over digital only when its an option. If for no other reason than its way faster to reinstall a disc than download a game. Plus its nice to "own" a game via the disc if the PS4 really does lack excessive DRM.

#41 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11868 posts) -

For the near future at least, discs. I like owning a physical representation of things I buy if I'm spending that much money on them.

#42 Edited by President_Barackbar (3503 posts) -

I like owning discs, and my internet isn't nearly robust enough to handle downloading full games.

#43 Edited by Strife777 (1669 posts) -

Mostly discs. I just like having boxes on my shelves, I think it looks nice the same way books or movies do.

Also, I just remembered that I have a bandwidth cap, which is the case for most people in Canada now, unfortunately. So downloading my games is not really a viable option.

#44 Posted by captain_clayman (3345 posts) -

I like having a big shelf full of games, and I like sharing games with friends so I'll probably get a lot of discs, but I have nothing against getting stuff digitally. Sometimes for birthdays and christmas I'll get gift cards and pick up some retail games digitally.

#45 Edited by Demoskinos (16110 posts) -

If were seeing massive 30+ GB games that 500GB HDD is going to dry up quickly especially considering ~460GB will be usable. Internet isn't fast enough and storage not big enough (on consoles at least my 1TB HDD says hi) thing is on PC right now the average large game sits at around 8 GB with the occasional monster like Max Payne at 35GB.

#46 Posted by ConfusedOwl (1011 posts) -

I will be going almost full disc based still just like I am currently. I might do digital sometimes but for the most part I still want to have those shiny cases.

#47 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2351 posts) -

I'll be buying discs unless the digital versions can match the prices of retail. Earlier on in the life of next gen retail prices will be ridiculous so digital is going to be more appealing to me but I imagine by the 3rd year I'll have more retail versions than digital.

#48 Posted by PenguinDust (12728 posts) -

Discs for consoles, digital for PC just as I do today.

#49 Posted by StarvingGamer (8889 posts) -

If everything is the same, I'll probably buy games on PSN just to dodge sales tax o_O. But if retailers end up with better pre-order bonuses or price incentives, I'll buy discs.

#50 Edited by afjkidd5 (98 posts) -

I'll get discs whenever possible, but I have no problem with downloading games.