Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno
JacobBrodersen said:
"So what about the games that didnt run well on XP SP3?"
If they didn't run well on XP that meant they were bugged, it had nothing to do with the OS.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Good news. It would have been pretty woeful if users had to endure similar woes with  7

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By maxszy

Wow...that's great news. I would love to run Jade Empire again. Maybe KOTOR too, Vista doesn't like that too much. Or maybe Heroes of Might and Magic 3 without it randomly crashing.

fr0sterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By fr0sterson

Yeah, but how fast will they run? Surely if XP is emulated over the top of 7 there has to be a dramatic drop in speed. Also, it is only in two of the versions of 7.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno

Actually 3 of the versions, the one not including it being the completely barebones one that is probably inferior to XP SP3 in the first place. As to performance issues I'm going to assume that they will run fine, although we won't know until May 5 when the candidate version is released.

JacobBrodersen said:

"Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
If they didn't run well on XP that meant they were bugged, it had nothing to do with the OS. "
Cept for most old Command and Conquer games, excluding Red Alert 2, didnt run well on XP, because they were coded for win95."

What does that have to do with compatibility with XP?
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rinkalicous
Maxszy said:
"Wow...that's great news. I would love to run Jade Empire again. Maybe KOTOR too, Vista doesn't like that too much. Or maybe Heroes of Might and Magic 3 without it randomly crashing."
I hate to ruin the dream, but Heroes crashes all over the shop for me, and I use XP.
raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By raggedglory

I kinda wish it was 98 being emulated, since then I'd have some DOS.  Or maybe if they patched XP with  DOS or something.  I hate running DOSBOX.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
"Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
If they didn't run well on XP that meant they were bugged, it had nothing to do with the OS. "
Cept for most old Command and Conquer games, excluding Red Alert 2, didnt run well on XP, because they were coded for win95."
What does that have to do with compatibility with XP?"
He was pointing out the flaws in the sweeping statements "Windows 7 will have 0 compatibility issues with games", and "If they didn't run well on XP that meant they were bugged, it had nothing to do with the OS"
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Lunarbunny
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus
Geno said:
"Whindows 7 will have 0 compatibly issues with games."
Please don't post lies in the forums.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zityz

Wait so when does it come out? and How many of other peoples children do I have to sell to China in order to afford such a item?

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Luke

While Windows XP Mode (XPM) is all well and gewd, it's does not run on the hypervisor and is instead a host-based virtualization solution (emulation of hardware).  If it was a Hyper-V solution, everyone would need a 64-bit CPU with Virtualization Extensions built-in (like an Intel Core, Xeon, or i7). 

Games, especially ones that need access to the GPU for 3D, will most likely not run in XPM. 

XPM is more for businesses than for gamers.  It will only run on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions (not on any Home/Media Editions).  Microsoft is implementing this mostly so that Office-type Applications will still run, not games. 

I have a TechNet Subscription, through my work, so I'll be testing all this stuff out next week with the Windows 7 Release Candidate.  I'll try to report back, how it all works. 

Regardless, XPM is still pretty kewl though... as an example, below is a screenshot of Office 2007 (running on Windows 7) and Office 2003 (running on Windows XP), both running at the same time on Windows 7:

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geno
MattyFTM said:
"Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
"Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
He was pointing out the flaws in the sweeping statements "Windows 7 will have 0 compatibility issues with games", and "If they didn't run well on XP that meant they were bugged, it had nothing to do with the OS""
I don't think it's that relevant that a game that wouldn't run on XP because it wasn't designed for XP wouldn't run on Windows 7. You may as well go all the way looking for software from Windows 3.1 and pointing out that most of it doesn't run on XP. I'm saying that games from about the last 10 years or so that had no trouble running on XP will run on Windows 7, due to the XP virtualization.

Luke: Interesting point, but I'm still looking forward to real benchmarks. Perhaps newer hardware will be able to compensate for the performance issues of older games? I'll be interested to see what comes up.
altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By altdimension
TooWalrus said:
"Geno said:
Please don't post lies in the forums."
Don't post pointless spam, if he's wrong prove it.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By StarFoxA
Delta_Ass said:
"Sure, but what about old DOS games?Fuck Microsoft."
DOSbox, I guess.
Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Pkshields

Hopefully they are right this time

GreatMadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By GreatMadness

But AltDimension, the burden of proof lies with Geno, not ToolWalrus.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Geno said:
"I don't think it's that relevant that a game that wouldn't run on XP because it wasn't designed for XP wouldn't run on Windows 7. You may as well go all the way looking for software from Windows 3.1 and pointing out that most of it doesn't run on XP. I'm saying that games from about the last 10 years or so that had no trouble running on XP will run on Windows 7, due to the XP virtualization."
When you say something like "Windows 7 will have 0 compatibility issues with games" it is very relevant. That statement is incorrect. He was merely correcting it. If you had been more informative with your initial statement, he wouldn't have needed to be corrected.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Geno said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
"Geno said:
"JacobBrodersen said:
He was pointing out the flaws in the sweeping statements "Windows 7 will have 0 compatibility issues with games", and "If they didn't run well on XP that meant they were bugged, it had nothing to do with the OS""
I don't think it's that relevant that a game that wouldn't run on XP because it wasn't designed for XP wouldn't run on Windows 7. You may as well go all the way looking for software from Windows 3.1 and pointing out that most of it doesn't run on XP. I'm saying that games from about the last 10 years or so that had no trouble running on XP will run on Windows 7, due to the XP virtualization. Luke: Interesting point, but I'm still looking forward to real benchmarks. Perhaps newer hardware will be able to compensate for the performance issues of older games? I'll be interested to see what comes up. "

Thats a silly and downright i am sorry idiotic position on things, you said exactly Windows 7 will have 0 compatibility issues with games when that statment is false because unless those games were made within 4-5 years of windows 7 being developed there will be problems, you then go onto say that this is so because windows 7 will have an XP sp3 emulation/compatibility mode when you are confronted with the games that dont work well with XP sp1-2 or 3 you say it doesn't apply when if you knew much you'd know that XP had a compatibility mode that did next to nothing for most games and it will likely be the same for this specially if it is emulation as has been pointed out and rarely are emulation programs able to access graphics which is what alot of games will demand.

This reminds me of a post on systemwars at gamespot some person said that PC will all ways reign because and one of his reasons was that PC's are 100% compatbility with all past programs when this is a lie, games specifically programmed for one OS often have problems on future OS's unless extreme measures are taken to make them compatible or the developer it self patches the game, it will be no different with Windows 7 and infact I say FUCK windows 7 I just started geting into Vista a year or 2 years ago and now im being told a  NEW fucking OS is being released?

P.S: what problems did vista have? i've yet to have a problem with VISTA either in speed or compatiblity specially since SP1 was released.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187
Delta_Ass said:
This.

No Oregon Trail = bullshit!
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
jakob187 said:
"Delta_Ass said:
This.

No Oregon Trail = bullshit!
"
hmmm now which oregon trail? cause the origianl was apple II and then there was a CDrom version back on the old apple baige school computers  I remember both though i enjoyed the green monochrome apple II one.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

I had no problems running stuff on my Vista, but more is better.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Godwind

Everything is better than Microsoft.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Psyx2

I'm running the beta on my desktop and games seem to run fine. I run old DOS games on DosBox - it's not hard.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Gunner
AltDimension said:
"TooWalrus said:
"Geno said:
Please don't post lies in the forums."
Don't post pointless spam, if he's wrong prove it.
"
because its impossible...

Sounds like windows 7 will be awesome, cant wait till it comes out so i can finally upgrade. Hopefully it will get rid of the freezing problems ive been having with games lately.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#30  Edited By delta_ass

The point is, I shouldn't have to fuck around with DOSbox to get my old games to work. I shouldn't be penalized for upgrading to a newer edition of Windows. You generally expect improvements when you upgrade something. Not getting completely fucked over on older games like MechWarrior 2 or TIE Fighter.

I repeat: Fuck Microsoft. Fuck it right in its ear.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Gunner
Delta_Ass said:
"The point is, I shouldn't have to fuck around with DOSbox to get my old games to work. I shouldn't be penalized for upgrading to a newer edition of Windows. You generally expect improvements when you upgrade something. Not getting completely fucked over on older games like MechWarrior 2 or TIE Fighter.I repeat: Fuck Microsoft. Fuck it right in its ear."
ouch dude.

Im sure there are other reasons that they dropped support for DOS games other than to piss you off.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#32  Edited By delta_ass

It's not just support for DOS games. Win 95 games will often have problems running in XP. I don't even know how it is in Vista, never upgraded to it.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Johnny5

Grim Fandango has a lot of issues on XP, 98 required.

;_;