#1 Posted by TournamentOfHate (547 posts) -

Hey fellas, so I plan on getting a new gaming PC soon and using it on my TV in the living room, a similar setup to what Ryan has done. I need a wireless dongle for my controller, keyboard(the Logitech K400 that Ryan recommended), and for wireless internet. Thing is I've never used a dongle so I don't know much about them, do I just need one to be able to read all those things at once? Anybody have a recommendation of what kind to get? Thanks for any help, cheers.

#2 Posted by EXTomar (4917 posts) -

Usually these things are handled by different pieces of hardware because they have different requirements. You can buy wireless keyboards and mice. You can buy cheap USB wireless adapter to hook into your wireless access point (you have one, don't you?). Alternatively you can buy "extenders" that act like a wireless bridge to your main WAP or you can run PLC style networking over the power wiring in your walls. How much are you willing to spend?

#3 Posted by TournamentOfHate (547 posts) -

Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough, I have my current PC setup on one side of my living room, and on the other side I have my TV. While I'd rather have wireless internet for my new gaming PC(that will be next to my TV), I could just run an ethernet cable to it.

So really I'm just wondering what I need to be able to use a wireless 360 controller and a wireless keyboard(with built-in touchpad instead of mouse).

#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@TournamentOfHate said:

Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough, I have my current PC setup on one side of my living room, and on the other side I have my TV. While I'd rather have wireless internet for my new gaming PC(that will be next to my TV), I could just run an ethernet cable to it.

So really I'm just wondering what I need to be able to use a wireless 360 controller and a wireless keyboard(with built-in touchpad instead of mouse).

To use a wireless 360 pad search eBay for a receiver, basically this product is what it'll look like in white or black. It pairs like a 360 would - http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardware/Controllers/Pages/XboxWirelessGamingReceiverforWindows.aspx/

As for the keyboard then it's highly unlikely it won't come with its own wireless dongle.

Edit: and nah you'll need separate dongles, it's a bit of a mess but on the bright side any respectable PC these days will have at least 8 USB ports, that's really standard now. Usually 2-4 front, 6 back or so.

If you really want to get your PC working with wireless Internet I'd recommend getting a little card that plugs in, inside of the PC, as opposed to a dongle. (probably use a PCI slot)

#5 Posted by Nurve (125 posts) -

Note that a lot of the 360 wireless receivers on eBay and Amazon are knockoffs, but they do work just fine.

#6 Posted by TournamentOfHate (547 posts) -

Great, thank you all very much.

#7 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I also have a HTPC and use the K400. It comes packaged with a wireless dongle. The range is pretty good, maybe 20 feet although I'm in NYC and there could be a lot of signal interference. Its an adequate keyboard for couch surfing with the PC. However, I would still recommend having a wireless mouse handy, the track pad on the K400 kinda sucks. Maybe I've been spoiled by my Macbook trackpad but I find the K400 always causes me to mistap, worse there's no way to adjust the settings. I like this product, but it feels a bit cheap.