Wish for new consoles?

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By joey2683

I was just sitting here thinking about how I miss the console launch days, sitting outside, waiting as anticipation builds up. What do you guys think? Do you have fond memories of a console launch? Are you jonesing for another?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

My wish is that all platforms will merge and become one, so that fanboyism will go away and we all get the great games to play. 

It'll never happen, but it's still my wish :D

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Time_Lord

I like not drooping $600 on a new system.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

I like how consoles last longer these days, less money spent on games and more time playing them

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I have fond memories of console launches, but I don't want another right now.

Above anything else I don't feel like the videogame industry is stable enough right now to support a new system.  Anyone who brought out an expensive new system now would bomb.  According to old standards, price-wise the 360 and PS3 just launched within the last few weeks.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Seedofpower
@xyzygy said:
" My wish is that all platforms will merge and become one, so that fanboyism will go away and we all get the great games to play.  It'll never happen, but it's still my wish :D "
Sigh..... me too.......
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By jonnyboy

I worked in EB during many console launches. It was a fucking nightmare. Dreamcast was the worst, the next week most of them came back faulty.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ninjakiller

Can't say that I'm jonesing for another console launch.  With development cycles taking longer and longer for the big titles, I can't say that I look forward to a new console with nothing to play on it.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Valames

I was just talking about this in another thread for a different topic, but yeah man... I have all the systems but I still get jealous when I see someone leaving a store with a new console. I love the feeling of unboxing a new system. I don't want their system I just want the feeling I know they are about to go home and have. My brother-in-law just bought his first PS2 and he was so psyched to get it home and play with his kids, I was so jealous of that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

It feels like I've only just bought into this console cycle, even though that was, like, 4 years ago for me. After the wad of cash I've blown, and seeing how unnecessary a new generation would be at this point, I'm glad we've got a generation that looks like it'll be around for awhile longer. And hell, consoles have only barely started dipping under the $200 mark, and that's for the stripped down versions.

My new console sensation comes from buying older consoles, like the Dreamcast, or digging out my much older collection of Genesis, NES, and Atari titles.

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By leky1
@Br3adfan said:
" I like how consoles last longer these days, less money spent on games and more time playing them "
and more money on electric bills!
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@xyzygy said:
" My wish is that all platforms will merge and become one, so that fanboyism will go away and we all get the great games to play.  It'll never happen, but it's still my wish :D "
Monopolies are awesome!

I have never bought a console at launch, so the anticipation really doesn't apply to me. I like the state we're in now, tons of great games coming out and a good install base.
GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GHT

console launches are exciting and all, I camped for a PS2 and it's one of my fondest memories, but the best games always come out at the end of the consoles lifespan, so I'm looking forward to that way more.

I really hope there aren't any new consoles for like another 4 years.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Wish away. Instead we'll end up getting another relaunch or two of the same hardware with new peripherals (Natal, etc...).

New consoles are still a year or two from even being announced.

PolyesterPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PolyesterPimp

I've never been one to wait in line for anything that expensive... Sorry I cant reminisce with you on those memories friendo

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

I like the idea of spreading out longevity with an add-on peripheral. While most of the WIi's attempts failed, and even the MotionPlus started with a crappy line-up, hopefully Natal and Sony Motion Control will launch with a solid line-up, and that they actually are worth two shits. And even if they are, I hope there will still be games that involve my thumbs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Developers and analysts have both stated that this console gen will be the longest one so far, probably will go on till 2014-2015, which is kinda how long the PS2 lasted anyway.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Eelcire

I'm liking the longer life-cycle of the consoles, as it allows developers more time to fine tune games to each systems strength. That said I'll also echo that this generation has left me leaning toward a one-console future .

As far as memories go, I've never been one for waiting in lines for a launch. I remember calling up Fred Meyer on the N64 launch and surprised that they had 1 left in stock, which they were kind enough to hold for me. Sucks they had no games left, so I had the N64, but no games to play. There was also a controller shortage when Mario Kart 64 was released. The 360 launch sucked for me because I was actually willing to wait in line to get one, but I worked at Fry's at the time in the gaming section; so I had to be at the store at closing to prepare for the launch, and then work again on the day of the launch.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oDawg
@Joey2683: 

go buy a sweet gaming pc and stick it in yer living room.